SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 ... 475
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Unique as hell!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38736 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
Yup. Kind of growing on me!

Me, too. It's the kind of diver's watch Captain Nemo might have worn.

BINGO!
There's the "Captain Willard" watch

Now there's the "Captain Nemo"!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8371 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

BINGO!
There's the "Captain Willard" watch

Now there's the "Captain Nemo"!

I actually “almost” bought a bronze Willard style case for this!

Now, that said, I’m not guaranteeing that a bronze Willard style case won’t show up in my mailbox eventually … I’ve been wanting to do one just to see if I like the design, and well. I’ve got two more dials that might look cool in a bronze case.

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is such a cool build. Excellent job!

You have a good eye and keen sense of taste when it comes to watches.

Well done!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever purchase a watch on Grand Cayman?

My wife and I are headed there in March, and I’m thinking of buying a nice watch for a bit of a discount ( or so I’ve heard. Not sure what I’m looking for. Maybe a Grand Seiko or an Explorer or an Aqua Terra.

Any feedback or tips?

Posts: 367 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA DuckHunter:
Anyone ever purchase a watch on Grand Cayman?

My wife and I are headed there in March, and I’m thinking of buying a nice watch for a bit of a discount ( or so I’ve heard. Not sure what I’m looking for. Maybe a Grand Seiko or an Explorer or an Aqua Terra.

Any feedback or tips?

Yes, however it has been a few years since we have been to the Cayman Islands. Are you flying in or going on a cruise?

In general you used to be able to find some good deals on watches in the Cayman islands, it just depends on the watch.

In the Cayman Islands the largest watch AD is Kirk Freeport. I they used to have more than one store that sold watches al tho its been almost four years since we have been there.
There is also a Beritling boutique and a Tag Heuer Boutique on the island. I think Kirk Freeport runs the Boutiques.

There is also Diamond International watch and design.

You mentioned an Explorer. Kirk Freeport is a Rolex AD. No AD or Boutique I know of will deal on a Rolex. Most Rolex dealers do not even have any in stock to sell except to preferred customers.

I am not sure but I did not see any ADs In the Cayman Islands for Grand Seiko.

You mentioned an Omega Aqua Terra, Kirk Freeport is also an AD for Omega. Depending on the version, you may not find any deals it just depend on how difficult that version is to get.

If you have an idea it might be worth it to email them to find out if they have whatever you might be looking for. They may even give you a price.

One of the best thing you can do is have an idea of how much the watches you are looking for cost back home. Then you can try to negotiate a deal on the Island to see if it is worth the saving buying there vs buying back home.

Talking to someone I know on another island, he told me most of the major manufacturers may no longer be allowing ADs to make deals so it might depend on what chance the AD wants to take to make a sale.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2579 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xring04
posted Hide Post

A couple of favorites.

On the Right.

Posts: 1200 | Location: NE Fl. | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Fun economics: Good watches VS big screen TVs
I just found my receipt for my Seamaster 300M:

shipped Overnight FEDEX on August 18, 2015

Today I can go to an Omega Boutique and get the current 300M:

for more than double the ’15 price when the mandatory 8.6% sales tax is added on.

On the other hand I can get a new 65” 4K LG TV for le$$ than half of what I paid 5 years ago.

Posts: 4055 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You can't put a TV on your wrist

But I get your point, everything has gone up 40ish% since the Plandemic

Posts: 5361 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I just went to Las Vegas last week, I am not much of a gambler so no threat there. But man o man does that place have some nice watch stores, got to see a lot of brands I have only seen pictures of, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger Lecoutre, and and and.... I dont think I have ever been so tempted in my life. Reverso keeps calling my name, now more than ever.

Posts: 3580 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Shogun has really nice lume. It’s hard to photograph the color but it is a blue/green almost turquoise color with the typical green on the minute hand and lume pip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21134 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The quest for the perfect watch is probably never ending.

For the time being I think I’m gonna have a hard time beating my Tudor LHD Pelagos for the money. Yeah a titanium spring drive Seiko diver is tempting but they are also on par with Rolex submariner watches with their cost. This level of performance from my 2020 LHD Pelagos (that was a great year eh?) has me feeling quite content currently. Cool

The Tudor calibre 5612 is quickly becoming my absolute favorite watch movement. Considering my affinity for German tuned Valjoux 7750 chronographs (Sinn) this is a movement that vastly exceeded my expectations and then some.

I set it about 3 weeks ago and it’s about 1.5 seconds off from atomic time. The positional regulation on this watch is brilliant. This isn’t even Tudors best movement! It is a true joy to own and to wear because titanium is so light and this watch has the best clasp ever to grace any watch on this planet.

This right here is why the original/full size Tudor Pelagos is the best watch in their entire catalog and worlds better than any clasp/bracelet Rolex makes. They are fools for not incorporating this on the 39mm Pelagos.

Once you’ve experienced it all other brackets/clasps lose their luster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I could get used to the stem being on the other side.

Posts: 7560 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Being a left handed wearer, that's a big appeal for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15414 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Must be a left-handed version.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 236 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The quest for the perfect watch is probably never ending.

YOU TELL US THIS NOW?!?!
I could have used this warning around page 2 of this thread! Smile

Once you’ve experienced it all other brackets/clasps lose their luster.

I was interested in the clasp!
You're swaying me towards a Titanium Tudor.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8371 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7iron:
quote:

Must be a left-handed version.

Yes, it's a Lefty, they do make the Right handed version

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

It has spoiled me. The 9 o’clock crown position is REALLY comfortable on my left wrist.

The roulette date wheel is also something I really like that is only on the LHD (Lefty). Even days are red and odd are black.

The lefty versions are all individually numbered on the case back so while Tudor does offer a similar Pelagos with a more traditional crown at 3 o’clock position they lack some of the neat features seen on the LHD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I may be falling in love again. Roll Eyes I know I wasn't supposed to get involved with another watch this year, but on Monday I went to a watch enthusiasts' event hosted by a local Panerai dealer and among the 20+ watches they brought to check out, one really spoke to me: The PAM 01313. In my eyes this beautiful sunburst blue dialed (300m submersible) has it all. The size is perfect for my wrist (44mm case), the brushed case, blue alligator leather strap and an optional rubber strap all his the right marks. Do we have any Panerai owners here that can share their experiences?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10216 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice, but the crown clasp/cover is a bit of a turn off.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15414 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post