SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 ... 474
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They are actually a very neat design. I was never interested in Panerai until I held their carbon case variant. They have a really unique looking aged/distressed case variant that I also like.

Having never seen one in the wild I became much more interested in the brand when I held one andlooked it over in real life. Unfortunately the same can be said for Zenith as well as Grand Seiko….

42mm watches are about the limit of what my tiny wrist can pull off. I wish their 44mm divers looked better on my wrist.

That’s a beauty you have there Pulicords!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Very nice, but the crown clasp/cover is a bit of a turn off.

I was surprised to learn during the Panerai event, that what you thought was a “crown clasp/cover”, is in fact a more secure means of securing the crown and insuring the watch’s water resistance than utilizing a screwdown feature. The designers decided to provide the watch with a means of knowing at a glance that the crown was completely held down and water resistant to the indicated depth or clearly open so as to allow the wearer the ability adjust the date and/or time complications.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a cool case in, and needed to do something with it…

Another bronze one, this time a regular sport style. Spent some hours on eBay looking for a dial, and found a trashed Elbaro from I’m guessing the 1950s maybe. The watch was in bad shape, but the dial looked clean enough, and had a kind of cool design.

A little work to turn the diameter down a bit, and then off to the table to try getting everything together. Not sure about the hands, but they were the only ones I had that were even close to right for the dial. I could see them getting replaced in the future, though…

So here’s what we have so far. The only 20mm strap I have is a worn out NATO, but I don’t think it actually looks too bad as is. It’s definitely something different!

Bill R

Posts: 1124 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice work, again, Bill. That turned out great.

quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Very nice, but the crown clasp/cover is a bit of a turn off.

I was surprised to learn during the Panerai event, that what you thought was a “crown clasp/cover”, is in fact a more secure means of securing the crown and insuring the watch’s water resistance than utilizing a screwdown feature. The designers decided to provide the watch with a means of knowing at a glance that the crown was completely held down and water resistant to the indicated depth or clearly open so as to allow the wearer the ability adjust the date and/or time complications.

I figured it was something like that, but being a left handed wearer, that looks like a wrist killer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Couldn't wait any longer for a Pepsi from the AD or bring myself to pay what they go for gray. So I grabbed a Batman and think I may like it better.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s beautiful! How long had you been waiting for the Pepsi? That is one that is on my very short list of watches I plan on owning one day (the Pepsi).

I’ve heard they are basically impossible to get from your AD and F those gray/used market prices.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21122 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I told my regular AD I wanted a Pepsi about a year ago, right after picking up the lady's Datejust they "let me" order for Mrs. Lee. But I know the call is never coming. And I was getting tired of the bulk of my James Cameron. It was like a bowling ball and to the point that I was leaving it on the nightstand until I had to go to work. And I can't stand to be without a watch on. Another AD had the Batman at used pricing, but they had sold it originally, so the papers matched up, it was still under warranty and they made the right deal for my James Cameron. Honestly, I'm a little concerned about the longterm viability of the newer Pepsis, as the red in the ceramic bezels is prone to cracking and the production of it is what makes them so hard to get. So owning one for many years and having it serviced a few times could spell trouble. And I'm pretty hard on my watches anyway.

Posts: 3549 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Couldn't wait any longer for a Pepsi from the AD or bring myself to pay what they go for gray. So I grabbed a Batman and think I may like it better.

My favorite.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xring04
posted Hide Post

My favorite motorcycling watch. Just hits all the marks. Cheap, tough and it’s easy to read at a glance.

On the Right.

Posts: 1200 | Location: NE Fl. | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice. A modern classic. I've actually had the thought that I might pick one up recently. I bought a Casioak last year, black on black on black with lime green hands and indices with a negative display. It looks cool and ultramodern and all that, but the negative display is a bitch to read in anything but bright, direct light. I need something with a positive display.

Posts: 17195 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xring04
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one G Shock with the negative display, won’t buy another. It’s tough to read.

On the Right.

Posts: 1200 | Location: NE Fl. | Registered: August 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told my regular AD I wanted a Pepsi about a year ago, right after picking up the lady's Datejust they "let me" order for Mrs. Lee. But I know the call is never coming. And I was getting tired of the bulk of my James Cameron. It was like a bowling ball and to the point that I was leaving it on the nightstand until I had to go to work. And I can't stand to be without a watch on. Another AD had the Batman at used pricing, but they had sold it originally, so the papers matched up, it was still under warranty and they made the right deal for my James Cameron. Honestly, I'm a little concerned about the longterm viability of the newer Pepsis, as the red in the ceramic bezels is prone to cracking and the production of it is what makes them so hard to get. So owning one for many years and having it serviced a few times could spell trouble. And I'm pretty hard on my watches anyway.

A year long wait with no light at the end of the tunnel! Damn! I don’t blame you for scooping up a Batman.

I have also heard of issues with the red/blue bezel and even rumors of the watch being discontinued. As hard as they are to get they might as well be considered discontinued.

This is one of the main reasons I don’t own a Rolex. Empty cases and wait lists are a major turn off to me. I also dislike how the models keep getting bigger and fatter.

Rolex is known to be conservative but it’s also annoying that brands like Steinhart make watches similar to the Pepsi with fully lumed bezels that make the watch MUCH more usable in low light conditions. It pisses me off that for as expensive as Rolex is the homage brands sometimes have had the sense to add on features that are actually improving the functionality of the watch in a noticeable way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
A one year wait for a Pepsi is nothing. And I'd gladly pay for it all upfront for a guaranteed delivery. But I'm pretty sure it'd be an indefinite wait. I'm just not going to buy $20k worth of jewelry Mrs. Lee and I don't want in order to move to the top of the list at an AD.

I have a buddy with a newer Pepsi and he wants a Batman. Maybe we'll trade watches for a day or two to see if we really want to get the other.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
A one year wait for a Pepsi is nothing. And I'd gladly pay for it all upfront for a guaranteed delivery. But I'm pretty sure it'd be an indefinite wait. I'm just not going to buy $20k worth of jewelry Mrs. Lee and I don't want in order to move to the top of the list at an AD.

I have a buddy with a newer Pepsi and he wants a Batman. Maybe we'll trade watches for a day or two to see if we really want to get the other.

Not a bad idea (about trading watches with your buddy), but if that doesn't work out, keep trying with other dealers. Persistence pays off!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I think I have found my next grail watch. The Tudor Black Bay GMT with while dial and Pepsi Bezel.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Johnny-
NICE CHOICE!

The Titanium Pelagos is probably next on my list.
Stickman is working his magic! I'm looking at the Titanium bracelet, and from what Stickman is saying, it's one of the most comfortable bracelets he's worn.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8362 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is probably my favorite watch. Cost a lot less than my Rolex, but it's so much better.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Easy to tell the time! Wink

Love the simple dial, despite the complications.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Found a new home for my green SNK today
I'd given my dad a Sternglas for his 60th birthday, last year, as he's wanted an auto with an exhibition caseback [many thanks to Dave] for years.

Had the SNK collecting dust since I mostly wear the Monster or CZ.

Gave the SNK to my dad for a 'field' watch, for when he doesn't want to risk banging up the Sternglas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very generous gesture! I'm sure he was thrilled.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38712 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post