SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Would there be any downside of ordering the Seamaster clasp and tossing it on the Speedmaster bracelet?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t fit, at least on the current model. Speedmaster bracelet tapers from 20 to 18mm. Seamaster doesn’t taper.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Does Omega made adjustable clasps for the newer Speedmasters? If so it might be possible to retrofit a newer clasp onto an older bracelet. This can be done on the older Seamaster watches.

The Speedmaster isn’t my area of expertise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Feels good to have the Monster back on my wrist.
Have been wearing the CZ Smart Hybrid for the last 2 weeks, since I broke my phone & it was the only way I could receive messages & answer calls (along with Dex on my computer, thanks to Balze Halze)

New phone arrived yesterday & the Monster is back in EDC status

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Monster is back in EDC status

Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Monster is back in EDC status

Cool

Razz

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Does Omega made adjustable clasps for the newer Speedmasters? If so it might be possible to retrofit a newer clasp onto an older bracelet. This can be done on the older Seamaster watches.

The Speedmaster isn’t my area of expertise.

The new ones have one. Mine does. Only problem is because of the shape of the bracelet it only gives you about a half link of adjustment (which is really more like a quarter link because the speedy links are pretty small). The one on my Christopher Wards will give about a link and a half. Just makes getting that perfect fit easier.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VThoky, If you go to our local AD be prepared to be incredibly tempted. They are absolutely LOADED with inventory. Even the Tudor case was surprisingly full compared to my previous visit. The Seiko case shocked the absolute hell out of me. They had almost every limited edition Prospex available in our market. All the cases looked well stocked.

I am beginning to understand why you are interested in the new “slim turtle”. It’s been getting enormous amounts of praise on the watch pages I follow. I was digging the white dial version with black hands (I think you like that one too) Wink but this gorgeous Seiko Prospex SPB333 110th Anniversary Slim Turtle Ice Dial really caught my eye.

I own a few turtles. Ok, a lot of Turtles…but only because they are very comfy and beautiful so for the most part I considered my Turtle collection to be complete.

Darn you Seiko. I was smart and didn’t put it on my wrist when I was at the boutique recently. They also have the new ice dial Seiko Sumo trio. That purple/silver Sumo reflects light unlike any dial I’ve ever seen. Its color REALLY catches your attention. They also have four spring drive Prospex Seiko divers (the crazy expensive titanium ones) and TWO of the Grand Seiko GMT diver style watches. Eek

Seiko Prospex SPB333 110th Anniversary. That’s a pretty neat NATO strap too.

My local AD sadly doesn’t have the stunning white dial seen below but they do have this watch with the same reflective, textured dial but in black and another one with a sunburst blue dial along with a blue/white bezel.

Pictures don’t do this line of Grand Seiko watches justice. They are so beautiful in person!

This advertisement has a Sinn Arktis II advertisement vibe to it. Big Grin What a watch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Both, very nice.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pictures don’t do this line of Grand Seiko watches justice. They are so beautiful in person!

I couldn't agree with you more Stickman!!! I scored one of the above Grand Seiko GMT 20th Anniversary Limited Editions (Reference SBGE275) last year and as you said, it's certainly beautiful. It's definitely a keeper!!! In addition to beauty, it's also amazingly accurate, thanks to the Spring Drive movement! My local Grand Seiko dealer told me that only about 25 of these models (of the 1500 produced) were shipped to the United States and I'm glad I found one at all.

Yesterday, I received another GMT watch, this one being my first from Hamilton. It's one of their Khaki Aviation Converter Auto GMTs. I love the similarity to the Breitling Navitimer (which I've been looking at recently), but what closed the deal for me was the absence of the chronograph (that IMHO just made the dial too busy), made even better by a price that's roughly 10% of a new Breitling, an 80 hour time reserve, and better water resistance (100 meters) than the Breitling.

This whole watch collection thing is easily as addicting as firearms!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are both excellent.
Might even give the Hamilton the nod over the GS, barely.

Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
That Hamilton is ruggedly handsome!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That Grand Seiko maybe doesn’t get enough respect because people see the name Seiko and think mass produced watches with quality components and affordable prices.

Grand Seiko is more appropriately thought of as the Seiko custom shop or master shop if you will. The watches are hand made, polished and sculpted with incredible attention to detail. I would put them easily on the same level as the best Omega flag ship watches.

Looks are subjective.

In my eyes pulicords owns THE most beautiful Grand Seiko that has ever carried the Seiko name on its dial. It’s a masterpiece.

pulicords, any way you could be so kind as to post up a pic of the case back? I was Star struck when holding the two GS GMT watches at my local AD. One I know had a solid metal case back with the iconic GS logo. I can’t for the life of me remember if the black textured dial GMT had a display case-back. I think one of them did but I can be 100% sure.

I recently removed the fine steel bracelet on my Sinn and have been rotating through a few NATO straps. I love this watch on a NATO, it looks and feels so great! I tried it on a gray strap one of our fine members gifted me and to my surprise it’s become my favorite strap for the watch so far.

Sinn makes a limited run 103 Chronograph that comes with a similar gray NATO strap. The 103 A Sa B Limited Edition Chronograph which Sinn limited to 500 watches. This watch gave me the idea to try out a similar color gray strap.

I need to find a way to buy one of these NATO straps from Sinn. I wonder if they are also a limited production item? I hope not.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: In my eyes pulicords owns THE most beautiful Grand Seiko that has ever carried the Seiko name on its dial. It’s a masterpiece.

pulicords, any way you could be so kind as to post up a pic of the case back? I was Star struck when holding the two GS GMT watches at my local AD. One I know had a solid metal case back with the iconic GS logo. I can’t for the life of me remember if the black textured dial GMT had a display case-back. I think one of them did but I can be 100% sure.

Stickman: Thanks. AFAIK my GS 20th Anniversary GMT model is like the others, in that it has a display case-back. I'm not adverse to these, but a solid one would have been just as well to me. The gold emblem is a nice touch though.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m so glad to find this thread.

I’m going to break down and buy an Omega moon watch. I’d like to save some money and buy used. Any places to look other than Chrono24/etc?

Thanks

Posts: 30 | Registered: October 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Just sent my TSAR off to Marathon for service. It's 12 years old and the battery life has fallen off to the point where I'm not getting a year out of a new battery.

And since my U1 has been at RGM for going on 8 months (they said 4-6 when i sent it off), I'm in serious Tool Watch withdrawal.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
VThoky, If you go to our local AD be prepared to be incredibly tempted. They are absolutely LOADED with inventory.

I got a message from our dear friend last week, stick, and I'm planning to attend that event. Are you going?

quote:
this gorgeous Seiko Prospex SPB333 110th Anniversary Slim Turtle Ice Dial really caught my eye.

That looks VERY similar to the SBDC171 I've been staring at. If our friend has it, I will try it on again.

quote:
Grand Seiko

Some day, man... some day. Cool

Call me nuts, man, but I'm so danged Seiko-loyal, I don't even take time to drool over Sinn and Tudor and Omega and such. It's not that I don't appreciate them, mind you, I just don't want to want one until after I have a Grand Seiko.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shallowenuf:

I’m going to break down and buy an Omega moon watch. I’d like to save some money and buy used. Any places to look other than Chrono24/etc?

Thanks

I bought my Grand Seiko through Chrono24. A good resource, among many. I just purchased my Hamilton Khaki Aviation via Hodinkee. Use the internet, but research, research, and research some more, to protect yourself and get the best deals. YouTube is also a great resource.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by Shallowenuf:

Thanks

I bought my Grand Seiko through Chrono24. A good resource, among many. I just purchased my Hamilton Khaki Aviation via Hodinkee. Use the internet, but research, research, and research some more, to protect yourself and get the best deals. YouTube is also a great resource.

Thanks, I’ll keep researching. There are a lot of nuances to keep track of, plus condition and price. I have a Hamilton KHAKI AVIATION PILOT DAY DATE AUTO that I love.

Posts: 30 | Registered: October 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
That looks VERY similar to the SBDC171 I've been staring at. If our friend has it, I will try it on again.

Very nice, throw a different face on it & I'd be tempted.