SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 478 479 480 481 482 483 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Anyone recently get an email from Helm? To my shock my number came up on the Komodo stainless and Vanuatu Ti only a week apart! Eek

I my Helm collection will be doubling in size soon.

Tom Petty was right.
The waiting is the hardest part”

Nothing from Helm yet. But my number is probably shrinking! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Komodo email was a complete surprise. I bought a black dial version for myself and a white dial version for a family member.

The Vanuatu Ti will probably end up replacing my stainless Vanuatu, which has been a safe queen its entire existence. (It’s a damn heavy watch in stainless steel).

I’ve been pretty hardcore into yellow dial divers lately. We will see if these new Helm additions can break that addiction.

Breitling + boating on the lake = an awesome day. This was taken yesterday on a VERY empty lake Norman NC. Cool

The Doxa Divingstar Poseidon has also been getting lots of love lately. It is a fricking awesome watch. Comfy on the wrist and quite aesthetically pleasing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Vanuatu Ti will probably end up replacing my stainless Vanuatu, which has been a safe queen its entire existence. (It’s a damn heavy watch in stainless steel).

I’m currently rotating between the Marathon Gsar and Chronograph.
So Yeah, I know about heavy! I switched out the Marathon rubber strap for the stainless on the Chrono. Let’s just say that I don’t need weights when I’m diving!

The Vanuatu Ti (still at #648 as of a few hours ago) is going to scratch a few itches-
A Ti, a white face and a Helm. So Ill be covered until something else catches my eye.
Waiting on another overtime check to hit, then Ill pull the trigger on a Tudor Pelagos. Im going to flip a coin to see if it’s going to be the right or left hand model.

After that, the Omega Moon Watch. Manual, as I will have more than enough autos in the collection, sapphire crystal, sapphire back.

That, as the famous last words go, should cover everything I want in a watch collection…
But we know how that turns out. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8519 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
yesterday on a VERY empty lake Norman NC.

Nice! I'll bet it will be nutty this coming weekend. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13851 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

I’m currently rotating between the Marathon Gsar and Chronograph.
So Yeah, I know about heavy! I switched out the Marathon rubber strap for the stainless on the Chrono. Let’s just say that I don’t need weights when I’m diving!

The Vanuatu Ti (still at #648 as of a few hours ago) is going to scratch a few itches-
A Ti, a white face and a Helm. So Ill be covered until something else catches my eye.
Waiting on another overtime check to hit, then Ill pull the trigger on a Tudor Pelagos. Im going to flip a coin to see if it’s going to be the right or left hand model.

After that, the Omega Moon Watch. Manual, as I will have more than enough autos in the collection, sapphire crystal, sapphire back.

That, as the famous last words go, should cover everything I want in a watch collection…
But we know how that turns out. Wink

Dude get the lefty. The LHD Pelagos is fucking AWESOME! If I could only keep one watch in my ENTIRE collection it would be my LHD Pelagos. It is just a FUCKING awesome watch with perfect ergos and an ass kickingly excellent movement. Yeah, I could probably have been more eloquent in my description of owning such a watch but I’m an idiot who loves watches for better or worse. Big Grin

When I travel outside the US my LHD Pelagos is the watch on my wrist. It’s caused a few nice scratches on the bracelet but that just adds to the character of the watch and shows it’s been well worn and loved. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21220 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Dude get the lefty. The LHD Pelagos is fucking AWESOME! If I could only keep one watch in my ENTIRE collection it would be my LHD Pelagos. It is just a FUCKING awesome watch with perfect ergos and an ass kickingly excellent movement. Yeah, I could probably have been more eloquent in my description of owning such a watch but I’m an idiot who loves watches for better or worse. Big Grin

When I travel outside the US my LHD Pelagos is the watch on my wrist. It’s caused a few nice scratches on the bracelet but that just adds to the character of the watch and shows it’s been well worn and loved. Smile

I'm about 51% leaning towards the Lefty Pelagos.
The slight variances on the Lefty that makes it just that much more interesting.

And I personally don't thing you could have been more "eloquent" in your description! I think you nailed it justy perfectly! I don't know if I stated this before, but....
WHY THE HELL DONT YOU HAVE A YOUTUBE CHANNEL?!?!?

I'm just letting you know, that I'm NOT subscribing to it, or ever watching it! Sig Forum has cost me enough money between this thread, the Glock Thread, and that damn Bourbon thread! The last thing I (and my limited impulse control) need is watching your channel and going "Yeah, I don't have an IWC yet, it's ONLY $12 Grand, and it looks great!"

YES! I will guide all of my friends in your direction!
Me? I'll pass and save my money for ammo! Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I probably should make a YouTube channel for watches. I have enough watches for a few years of solid content.

I’ve been thinking about making a channel documenting a race season in the electric class of a local mountain bike race series and the trials and tribulations of a 41 year old racer competing against 16 & 18 year old racers who dominate the podium. I got a 1st place and 3rd place finish this season (due mostly to luck). If I make a channel it will probably follow the ups and downs of racing electric mountain bikes but making a watch channel could be fun too.

The watch channel idea is something I am interested in but I would need to find a way to stand out in a sea of watch related content creators. If I am able to figure that part out I’ll be 100% interested in such a project.

Here are my new Helm acquisitions. I love the SKX-esque look of the black dial Komodo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm almost always happy with a black dial, but that white one is sharp!

- - - - -

quote:
I'm just letting you know, that I'm NOT subscribing to it, or ever watching it!

Don't fib, man. I'll bet you'd be among the first dozen subscribers. Razz (Just like I would.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13851 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
As for the Komodo’s the white seems head and shoulders over the black and orange…at least to my old eyes. And I love the simplicity of the dials!

I’m still trying to digest the yellow dial watches…! Very nice!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39212 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
As for the Komodo’s the white seems head and shoulders over the black and orange…at least to my old eyes. And I love the simplicity of the dials!

I’m still trying to digest the yellow dial watches…! Very nice!

It basically came down to the odd fact that I didn’t have any yellow watches in my collection yet. Big Grin

Turns out after experiencing them I very much fancy a yellow dial dive watch for summer fun.

The Yellow Doxa “Poseidon” is a vintage reissue of the vibrant yellow and orange dial divers of the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Each one is individually numbered and part of a 500 watch run. It isn’t my most rare Doxa from a production standpoint but it’s right now my favorite in the ever expanding Doxa collection.

Now for the Breitling…..this is a brand I LOATHED for years. I found them recklessly and wildly overpriced for what they brought to the table. Only recently as an older, more docile creature have I found an affinity with a few of their offerings.

I took a chance on the Breitling Avenger and it paid off. I was pissed I missed out on a recent deal slashing almost a grand of of brand new Breitling Avengers. I found a recently manufactured example with both the bracelet and OEM leather straps for less than the new watch used on eBay. It’s +2 seconds a day and I’ve already quadrupled the number of scratches it had wearing it to work almost every day since I bought it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Breitling yellow has a very unique hue! I'm very intrigued. I've never owned a yellow faced watch, but I can see it being very appropriate for summer boating.

This summer I'm switching between my new Miyako, the orange Komodo and Sapphire Maratac on a canvas pastel strap (thanks to r0gue).

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39212 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Breitling....

A rough boss two careers ago wore one. He's probably the sole reason I never will. Razz

God bless America.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Funny how those kinds of memories can affect us.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Breitling....

A rough boss two careers ago wore one. He's probably the sole reason I never will. Razz

Boss sounded like a sketchy dude Wink

To continue my cheap watch theme. I couldn't resist another Bulova since it was on sale. Definitely not a diver at 30m. More of a desk field watch.

Limited-time deal: Bulova Men's Military Heritage Hack Veteran's Watchmaking Initiative Watch in Stainless Steel with 3-Hand Automatic, Black NATO Leather Strap Style: 96A259 https://a.co/d/3yVmMUw

Posts: 3594 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
SigSentry, that's a good looking watch. Nothing wrong with Bulova watches. Seems like Citizen has rubbed off on their quality.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7270 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Boss sounded like a sketchy dude Wink

To be fair: he's a mighty smart fellow, but he carried the stereotypical "angry German" attitude.

- - - - -

Love that Bulova!

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm almost always happy with a black dial, but that white one is sharp!

- - - - -

quote:
I'm just letting you know, that I'm NOT subscribing to it, or ever watching it!

Don't fib, man. I'll bet you'd be among the first dozen subscribers. Razz (Just like I would.)

Do you know how broke I'm gonna be?
But I'm gonna have some great watches, cool guns and a great few bottles of bourbon while I'm living in a van, down by the river!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Be sure and get a parking spot big enough for three or four of us... we'll bring chairs! Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Breitling....

This just popped up, and had to share-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAcW0Z7ShRk

Sketchy Dudes Wear Breitling

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vthoky:

To continue my cheap watch theme. I couldn't resist another Bulova since it was on sale. Definitely not a diver at 30m. More of a desk field watch.

Limited-time deal: Bulova Men's Military Heritage Hack Veteran's Watchmaking Initiative Watch in Stainless Steel with 3-Hand Automatic, Black NATO Leather Strap Style: 96A259 https://a.co/d/3yVmMUw

Have you seen the Bulova "Red Devil" diver? Damn! That's one beautiful watch and for $499.00?!?! Eek

https://www.jomashop.com/bulov...ns-watch-96b350.html

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10259 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post