SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
This is a warning to everyone that follows this thread, STAY OFF OF ETSY, unreal the Modded Seiko watches that are on there. This thread temps me enough as is. Really amazing work on there.

I'd be more apt to find what I want & pay stickman to assemble/mod for me.

I absolutely agree, love some of the stuff Stickman has done, I saw a Seiko/ Cartier Santos mod that really looked amazingly good

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P250UAS, Check out these two Seiko mod manufacturers. They have recently started making non diver watch cases more along the SNK line aesthetically.

I’ve been tempted to build one with a screw down crown and one of those cases by cannibalizing one of my flashy sunburst dial Seiko 5 (non diver) watches.

The Seamaster style case that’s out now is also interesting. That case shape is one of my favorites (obviously).

Namoki Mods

Crystal Times USA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
P250UAS, Check out these two Seiko mod manufacturers. They have recently started making non diver watch cases more along the SNK line aesthetically.

I’ve been tempted to build one with a screw down crown and one of those cases by cannibalizing one of my flashy sunburst dial Seiko 5 (non diver) watches.

The Seamaster style case that’s out now is also interesting. That case shape is one of my favorites (obviously).

Namoki Mods

Crystal Times USA

I'll have to piece together a build & see what that looks like.
I know I've looked at Crystal Times, but Namoki is a new one to me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15270 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Namoki Mods

Crystal Times USA

Why?!?
WHY?!?!!!!
WHY do you do this to us!!!???!??!?

(Must resist the force!!!!)

I've picked out 3 so far...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Drool, but a bit on the big side
Omega Speedmaster Super Racing
Supposed to be -0/+2 sec/day with their new Spirate system Calibre 9920

Change the yellow to either orange or blue & I'd be really drooling over it
https://www.omegawatches.com/e...super-racing/product

Posts: 15270 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Oh wow. That Omega speedy is nice! I love that honeycomb dial. I always liked the Speedy but considered myself more of a Seamaster person. Darn you for posting up the first speedy to truly tempt me.

Just when I think I’m out and 100% content Omega or ______ manages to pull me back in. Big Grin

I love the two hands on the right sub dial. That’s just like the new Seamaster Professional Chrono that ditched a sub dial by incorporating the minutes and hours by putting two hands on the same dial. Brilliant move to clean up the dial an not lose any previous capability.

When the website says “contact boutique” rather than list the price it’s never a good sign. I found two other websites listing an $11,000 price tag! Eek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think the non 'Super' Racing is in line with Moonwatch pricing.
And the regular Racing comes in orange Cool

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Re: the new Speedmaster.. Dah F@Q?

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think we’re gonna see chalk case ehh I mean bio ceramic Swatch Seamaster watches show up in 2023.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Re: the new Speedmaster.. Dah F@Q?

Well!

That's gonna take some getting used to.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not as watch-nerdy as I thought.

What's the big deal around that Omega pic above? Confused

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Just guessing here but perhaps they modernized the movement sort of like ETA did with the Powermatic80, where the design, appearance and performance is different from the ETA 2824 base caliber.

Edit to add: I wasn’t thrilled at first with the lack of ability for someone of my skill set to regulate the new movement. The 2824 was MUCH easier to regulate. But thanks to the manufacturing process and extreme precision involved I have yet to come across a Powermatic80 movement that needs to be regulated. They are all superb in my experience and average +1-5 seconds a day out of the box.

I’m curious to learn about the Speedmaster 9920 movement and it’s changes compared to the previous movements.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I guess I'm not as watch-nerdy as I thought.

What's the big deal around that Omega pic above? Confused

It is the monolith of watch movements, and I, the ape. Spectacular and quite different. Exceedingly precise. I am befuddled. I am relieved that the watch is not at all appealing on the outside for me.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
At ~$11k, it doesn't hold much interest to me, either.
Big Grin

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I want to get one. Suppose I’ll have to sell a few watches. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
After a couple weeks of looking at a bunch of Seiko options, I just pulled the trigger on the SRPH29.

I really liked stickman's initial suggestion of the older SNK803 in tan/khaki, especially the dial and the overall field/pilot styling, but the small size seems to be a common complaint for those with big wrists like me. If they were still $50-$60 like they apparently were several years ago, I probably would have tried it out anyway, but they're now 3X what they once cost.

From there, I looked at the "big brother" SNZG07 in tan, which is larger and more like what I'm after, but I didn't like the dial as much as the SNK.

I then briefly considered the SRPD85 in brown, which was a spot-on match for the dark brown leather coloring I was wanting to be able to pair with, but I don't really want another dive-style watch, and I still didn't like the dial as much.

Then I circled around to a compromise with the SRPH29 in green. It's the "compromise option" because it's not quite as big as the SNZG or SRPD, but it's larger than the SNK and reportedly is fine for my wrist size. It's not available in tan/brown like the others, but they do offer it in dark green. And it has a dial and overall styling nearly identical to the SNK, along with a newer movement with hand-winding as an option. Plus the less matte case makes it look just a little dressier to my eye, compared to the beadblasted SNK/SNZG.

Once it gets here later this week, I'm going to swap in a brown leather strap, and that should work for what I'm wanting: A semi-classy casual watch that pairs well with earth-toned clothing and brown leather shoes/belt, for just under $200 (including the additional leather strap).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice, love the green face on mine (SNK805).
Yours has the 4R36, same movement that's in my Monster. My SNK has the 7S26 I believe.
Handwind is a nice feature if you don't wear it for a few days. Don't have to shake to get it ticking again.

Clear caseback?
That's my only knock on my Monster, wish it had an exhibition caseback to see the movement.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, it has the exhibition case back.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK, Brilliant choice! That’s a great looking Seiko, those hands and orange dots against a green dial is very easy on the eyes. An exhibition case back is also a wonderful thing to have on your first automatic mechanical watch.

It’s a very subjective thing but to me the feel of a rotor swinging on my wrist and knowing the watch will work for close to a decade if not longer with no maintenance and my movement providing power is quite delightful.

I might have to look at the other dial options for that watch. I’d love to build a Seiko mod using those hands. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'll be watching what you can do with a SNK.
Mine doesn't get much wear over the Monster, at the moment.
When I'm not wearing the Monster, I usually have my CZ Smart on the wrist.