SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
...Here's a Titanium Tudor:

https://www.gearpatrol.com/wat...54/tudor-pelagos-39/

I have an order in for that one. Literally pulled off the road and wrote the request email when a pal texted me the announcement. It (has/had?) the potential to be superb, or "juuust a bit outside"</Harry Doyle> It won't be replacing the stupendously great Tudor FXD for real wet-work though. I'll have to try it and see.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
I’m going to wait for a different color. Too similar to my BB58.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Too bad Tudor didn’t incorporate the same chapter ring with cut outs as seen on the original Pelagos. It gave the dial a unique look that the smaller version is missing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
...Here's a Titanium Tudor:

https://www.gearpatrol.com/wat...54/tudor-pelagos-39/

I have an order in for that one. Literally pulled off the road and wrote the request email when a pal texted me the announcement. It (has/had?) the potential to be superb, or "juuust a bit outside"</Harry Doyle> It won't be replacing the stupendously great Tudor FXD for real wet-work though. I'll have to try it and see.

I'm liking the Pelagos 42 in Titanium.
I'd switch out the rubber strap for one with a deployment buckle.

https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/...elagos/m25600tn-0001

I'm hoping you'll keep us posted when yours comes in!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Too bad Tudor didn’t incorporate the same chapter ring with cut outs as seen on the original Pelagos. It gave the dial a unique look that the smaller version is missing.

I get why they didn't, but yeah, now that you mention it, that's a bit of a let down. Ideally perhaps a slightly shortened one with a slightly thinner bezel.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I am VERY impressed with Phoibos’s new Apollo 3 Titanium. Miyota 9015 movement, thin case, titanium bracelet and case with impressive build quality.

IMO this is the best watch Phoibos has built so far. It honestly bothers me how in some ways it’s better than my beloved new titanium Helm. I didn’t expect to like it this much. It’s thinner than the Helm and lighter because of the thinner case and bracelet design.

My first impression is very positive. Other than an adjustable on the fly clasp I can’t find much I would change to improve the watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://countycomm.com/collect...-bracelet-by-maratac

Stickman, Rogue, and other experts and aficionados of finer timepieces, I was wondering what your opinion of Maratac is?

$500 for a Titanium watch, 9015L Miyota 24 jewel movement doesn't seem too bad.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Wow Stickman! I was jealous enough about your Khuraburi, now I'm even more jealous.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stickman, Rogue, and other experts and aficionados of finer timepieces, I was wondering what your opinion of Maratac is?

I have the prior version of this watch with the Seiko movement. It is an extremely well made watch in my opinion and I love it. That being said, I bought it a couple years ago when prices were lower. The Miyota movement theoretically makes this version "better," and $500 is right in line with other microbrand Miyotas.

One caveat is that the bracelet does not taper at all, if this is important to you. I did not think it would be an issue for me, but now that I have a titanium watch with a 20mm - 18mm taper on the bracelet, I can say that I much prefer the taper to the non taper of the Maratac.

I bought a Zelos Mako 40mm titanium model for $550 recently, and I think for only $50 more the finishing is on a whole different level than Maratac. But Zelos goes out of stock quickly, and in fact looking at their site right now all versions of that model are currently out of stock.

I guess this is my long way of saying, yes the Maratac is a great watch and if you don't mind the lack of taper to the bracelet I think it is worth the $500 they are asking, considering the current market.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
CPD SIG, I am not familiar with that brand but that is a sweet looking diver. That case shape reminds me a little of the Dievas Marine except with a different crown location.

The problem with titanium watches is that they will spoil you. I’ve become addicted to the light weight, the dull satin gunmetal finish that looks so different from brushed and polished steel. Titanium also seems to resist warming up and IMO it tends to feel cooler on the wrist than steel. It scratches up MUCH easier than stainless steel but if you don’t mind that I highly recommend trying out a titanium watch. I’m hooked on em. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Sinn I’ve wanted a long time but now the Tudor Pelagos is tempting me…

A pic is worth a thousand words so to illustrate the difference between SS & titanium regarding their finish here is an example.

Stainless steel Grand Seiko vs Titanium Tudor Pelagos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:

I had this one (SR-3) back in 2015. I very much enjoyed it for the $. For less than the cost of a service on a higher-end piece, how can you go wrong? I like the look -- MIH watch'ish. Love the colors -- orange is ALWAYS-- good on a watch. Smile

posted Hide Post
THANKS for the input Gentlemen!

Sometimes I regret opening up or posting in this thread. Every time I do, I just hear that "Cha-Chinggg" sound of a cash register in the background.

I'm going to head on back to the Glock Thread where it's cheaper!
Wink

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I pulled this from the bank box, for an upcoming trip. So I fired this up today. Explorer II circa 1997. Lug holes and tritium dial! Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

posted Hide Post
^^^
Like I said, I'm heading back to the GlocK thread where it's cheaper!

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice SR3 r0gue, the orange contrast on the hand & stitching looks great

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I happen to have a watch inbound! that fits the theme of this page of the thread.

It is in fact Titanium!
It is also DLC coated.
It comes on a rubber strap.
It incorporates Orange!
It is made in Switzerland, but from a Parisian company.

I have never owned this brand before (and I've owned a lot of them at this point). My blue Tudor BB58 went on trade. Too much overlap with the Tudor FXD, and the FXD was better in just about every way.

Anyway, pics later today or tomorrow I assume. But feel free to guess, and Good LuCk!

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I received my initial email heads up from HELM for my Komodo order. I am on the list twice, one for me and one for son-in-law.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Interestingly, I happen to have a watch inbound! that fits the theme of this page of the thread.

It is in fact Titanium!
It is also DLC coated.
It comes on a rubber strap.
It incorporates Orange!
It is made in Switzerland, but from a Parisian company.

I have never owned this brand before (and I've owned a lot of them at this point). My blue Tudor BB58 went on trade. Too much overlap with the Tudor FXD, and the FXD was better in just about every way.

Anyway, pics later today or tomorrow I assume. But feel free to guess, and Good LuCk!

I'm looking forward to seeing this!!! Did you trade in your Tudor BB58 or is it being offered for sale/trade somewhere? I'm loving the looks of the Tudor FXD, but have heard some complain about how high the watch sits using a NATO strap. Can you enlighten me as to your experience with it?

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I received my initial email heads up from HELM for my Komodo order. I am on the list twice, one for me and one for son-in-law.

Congrats. I'm # 646 in line.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:

I'm looking forward to seeing this!!! Did you trade in your Tudor BB58 or is it being offered for sale/trade somewhere? I'm loving the looks of the Tudor FXD, but have heard some complain about how high the watch sits using a NATO strap. Can you enlighten me as to your experience with it?

The BB58 was traded. The FXD sits a little high, but it's worth it to get the proper square indices of the Pelagos, which matches the snowflake hands. Also you get titanium, and white outlined hands and indices, and finally -- the amazingly cool fixed bars! I have a very small wrist, and I have no problem rocking that watch. I'd pick the FXD over the BB58 any day of the week, but that's not to say the BB58 wasn't fun and charming in its own way.

ok... now for the new watch. You can't get any more off of my normal path than this. But there's just a lot of little stuff that kept my eyes glued to this one when it was listed for sale. After a few weeks of incessantly going back to it, I knew I'd might as well get it over with. It made getting rid of the BB pretty painless too.

Hermès H08 39m Titanium DLC. Vaucher sourced H1837 movement [Hermès owns 25% of Vaucher, the maker of movements for Parmigiani Fleurier and Richard Mille]. Probably not most people's tastes if you're well-entrenched in the tough tool watch phase, but if you're interested in reading what makes this watch great, here it is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,