SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Tritium tubes galore. Eek

I have a silver dial Ball Stormchaser with blue tubes but this one is much brighter.

I scooped this baby up from Jomashop a few years ago brand new when they were running a crazy good sale and it’s price on the used market still hasn’t dropped close to what I paid during that sale. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
^^^Nice!

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I'm trying to resist the auto rabbit hole.
The Monster & the Tag Senna pair in the classifieds are mighty tempting. A Senna has been on my wantlist for a long time.

Do not resist... Razz

Razz
My wife has been sending me a couple (very high-priced) autos, not knowing their list prices.
A couple limited edition F1 driver models. 1 from a boutique Finnish brand I'd never heard of, and the other an Oris. Both >$6k

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: The Bond franchise had it right the first time when they originally gave Bond a quartz Seamaster.

"Originally"? The Bond franchise -- both the books and the movies -- originally gave Bond a Rolex. In the case of the movies, the ORIGINAL watch was Sean Connery's own Rolex Submariner Reference 6538, which he wore in Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Goldfinger. He also wore it in Thunderball, but was later given a Breitling Top Time Chronograph that doubled as a Geiger counter. A quartz watch didn't come into the picture (if you'll pardon the pun) until Roger Moore wore a Pulsar LED digital watch at the beginning of Live And Let Die.

An Omega Seamaster didn't grace 007's wrist until Goldeneye, the 19th film in the franchise.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Question:

Do you keep your auto(s) on a winder, always, when not worn? OR just when the reserve gets low?

I'd seen Wolf here & on another forum, browsing there is more sticker shock than some mid to lower tier autos.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Like watches, there are "good and affordable" winders out there (Amazon), and there are "really nice and very expensive" (Bernard Favre) winders, plus everything in between.

A winder, I figure, is a nice thing to have, but I'm not going to spend megabucks on one.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Question:

Do you keep your auto(s) on a winder, always, when not worn? OR just when the reserve gets low?

I'd seen Wolf here & on another forum, browsing there is more sticker shock than some mid to lower tier autos.

I own a Wolf Cub winder with the cover. I only put watches on it that I plan to wear the following day.
I will let a watch run on the winder for about 24 hours to get the initial wind in the watch.
The the next day I set the time and date and off I go.

Some of the watches I own have the ETA 2824-2 movements in them. Years ago they were notorious for having a gear that would strip if you wound it to much by hand.
This way It winds from the automatic works and all I do is set the time and date.

I purchased my winder off of PoshMark, my wife has an account. I got it relatively inexpensive vs buying one new from Wolf. It was brand new however it was missing the AC power supply, it does use battery's as a back up.
I ended buying a power supply and the total cost was still a lot less than a new one from Wolf.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPD SIG:

As The Pontiff would say: "Buy The Man on the Moon! Omega Speedmaster Man on The Moon!"
Which are you considering? Hesalite or Sapphire Sandwich?

Looking at the Sapphire, probably another automatic.

I REALLY like the Dark Side of the Moon, but out of my range right now.

I'm in no rush.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Automatic!? Frown

But... any Speedy is a good Speedy! I'm a fan.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Drool

posted Hide Post
Rogue, you are what is called an "enabler"!
You're not helping my addiction at all!
Big Grin

Ok, so why are you in favor of the manual vs the automatic?
I already have an automatic chrono (Marathon), and it's not like I need to check that box.

Your pictures represent why I really like the Speedmasters; a classic looking time piece that just looks great!
Change the band, and it gives it a different feel. That simple brown leather looks great! Toss on damn near any color NATO, a Stainless, leather, different hides (alligator, ostrich... I'll bet stingray would be phenomenal), it's still going to look great, with a totally different feel to it.

Not many watches can do that.

(Nice t-shirt too!)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Helm Komodo sporting a 20mm Vanuatu style bracelet from Helm. It’s amazing how heavy this watch feels once you get used to the weight (or lack there of) of a titanium Khuraburi on the wrist. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Ok, so why are you in favor of the manual vs the automatic?

I mean, the original Speedmaster Professional was a manual. Same for the hesitate front. I tend to dislike change. I'm wired that way at this point. And if you're able to get one with the sapphire back, the manual looks amazing!

quote:
Your pictures represent why I really like the Speedmasters; a classic looking time piece that just looks great!
Change the band, and it gives it a different feel. That simple brown leather looks great! Toss on damn near any color NATO, a Stainless, leather, different hides (alligator, ostrich... I'll bet stingray would be phenomenal), it's still going to look great, with a totally different feel to it. Not many watches can do that.

Works on NATO just fine!

Bracelet, Leather, NATO, NASA.... All good!

quote:
(Nice t-shirt too!)

Thanks! Cool

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue;
That's exactly what I'm talking about!
Same watch, 4 different bands, 4 different "classy" looks!

Not too many watches can pull that off.

The '77 Rolex Datejust you posted a few pages back, only looks good with a stainless steel. The Gold would only look good in gold. Toss a NATO on them- trash.

A Submariner can pull off a few different type bands...

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Agree with all the looks. Sharp!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
It's your fault Stickman, you just had to make me whip out my BALLs! Lousy pics but I just love these two. Fireman NECC and Engineer Hydrocarbon XV.

DSC_0382

DSC_0385

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick-
That Titanium looks sharp! Always like the Helms.

I'd like to feel that weight reduction vs size with that Titanium.

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Trying to talk myself into a Ball Engineer 2 with the moon phase someday. I'm wondering instead of picking up 2 or 3 more maybe just 1 more, but make it a good one.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Trying to talk myself into a Ball Engineer 2 with the moon phase someday. I'm wondering instead of picking up 2 or 3 more maybe just 1 more, but make it a good one.

That is a nice one, been looking at it myself.

Posts: 3560 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Automatic watches don’t take kindly to harsh impacts.

Yep. Well, it’s just not in the cards right now to send it off for service, and I don’t own a proper beater, so I ordered a G-Shock. I start a new job tomorrow, and I need something that will not creep on me or fail if it takes a knock. I may be over autos for a daily driver, at least for a bit, I dunno. This thing has no soul whatsoever, I’ll see how I like wearing it. With all the really nice watches posted on the last few pages, this feels a bit like dropping a turd in the punch bowl. Should have it in a few days. I’ll wear my orange dial Orient Ray until then and pray I don’t kill it. This job will be physical.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post