SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The ARRL Extra Class License Manual.

I don't recommend it. It's a bit dry.

Posts: 20059 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I've just started reading What Really Happened in Wuhan by Sharri Markson, an Aussie.

The main premise is that the Covid-19 virus escaped from the Wuhan Virology Institute where they were doing gain-of-function research.

I am also reading this one. Very well researched and worth reading.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Cellist", the newest Gabriel Allon novel by Daniel Silva. He goes a little overboard with the COVID references (it adds nothing to the story to tell me that they had a "socially distant" dinner), but so far it's standard fare for him.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
"The Cellist", the newest Gabriel Allon novel by Daniel Silva. He goes a little overboard with the COVID references (it adds nothing to the story to tell me that they had a "socially distant" dinner), but so far it's standard fare for him.

I jumped ahead and read the Acknowledgments at the end of the book. Silva writes:

"I did not set out...to write a novel that featured an insurrection inspired by an American president and an inauguration conducted under the threat of an armed assault by US citizens. But in the days following the Capitol siege, I resolved to include the near death of American democracy in my story of Russia's relentless war on the West."

Aside from the fact that the story's not that engaging, I think I may have to abandon this and any future output from this author.

Posts: 700 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Just read Everybody Dies, the 14th in the Matt Scudder series by Lawrence Block.

Just started The Bitcoin Standard by Saifedean Ammous.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6035 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Three Sips of Gin: Dominating the Battlespace with Rhodesia's Elite Selous Scouts.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve hit some kind of wall for reading. Happened over the last year or so.

I’ve been trying to finish Dante’s Inferno. Half the book is done and I can’t seem to pick it, or any other book, back up.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
The latest Bosch book, "The Dark Hours".

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Runaway Jury by John Grisham

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
The Runaway Jury by John Grisham

That was made into a good movie, with John Cusack, Rachel Weisz, Gene Hackman, and Dustin Hoffman.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I just picked up a couple of new ones that have been on my waiting list at the library for a while.

Now reading Better off Dead, the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee/Andrew Child.

Next up is Mercy, Atlee Pine book 4, by David Baldacci

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Now reading Better off Dead, the latest Jack Reacher novel by Lee/Andrew Child.

I just finished Better Off Dead and thought it sucked compared to all his other novels.

Then I checked the cover and I now suspect it was written in its entirety by Lee Child's brother.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
While at the beach back in November I started re-reading the original Jack Reacher...

Travis McGee by John D. McDonald...

Big Tough SOB with social comment

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I just finished Better Off Dead and thought it sucked compared to all his other novels.

I just finished it yesterday, and while I wouldn't say it "sucked", it was not up to par with prior works. The credits imply it was a joint effort of Andrew and Lee Child.

The previous book, [i]The Sentinal]/i] was also listed as a joint effort, but I believe I read somewhere it was almost all Andrew Child's work. It was a much better novel, more in line with the tradition.

When in doubt, mumble

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
While at the beach back in November I started re-reading the original Jack Reacher...

That would be Killing Floor? I've re-read all of them, and the first was a great introduction to Reacher.

When in doubt, mumble

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Going on with the Stephen Hunter books.
Black Light
Time to Hunt

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9365 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

That would be Killing Floor? I've re-read all of them, and the first was a great introduction to Reacher.

I have read them all as well. "One Shot" was one of my favorites.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
We few, US Special Forces In Vietnam

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Soldiers, by Max Hastings

Basically a collection of several hundred interesting, funny, and/or bizarre short stories and anecdotes from throughout military history.

Posts: 32482 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The last Juror by John Grisham.