SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I'm reading a fascinating book recommended by Tom Grisham on GunTalk - Cops Under Fire: 12 Gripping Stories of Real-Life Police Shootouts (And What To Make Of Them).

It's quite good and thought-provoking.

Also just started The First Tycoon, about Cornelius Vanderbilt, because it's what I got my Dad for Christmas. He's a Vandy fan.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished The Guns of John Moses Browning by Nathan Gorenstein. Absolutely amazing what this man & his family accomplished.

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Special Forces A Guided Tour Of US Army Special Forces by Tom Clancy

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Maniac:The Bath School Disaster

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nearly done with Senna v Prost.
Have a feeling the first couple Expanse books will queued up next, after tomorrow morning Cool

Finished Senna vs Prost, good but not really captivating like The Mechanics Tale which I really enjoyed.

Started book 1 of The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes. Currently 4 chapters in. There are some hefty books (hardback, my preference).
Dave Grohl's book took a back seat when the first 3 Expanse books dropped in my lap yesterday morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nearly done with Senna v Prost.
Have a feeling the first couple Expanse books will queued up next, after tomorrow morning Cool

Thought it would be the first couple Expanse books.

Got the new Dave Grohl book, didn't even know about it. Looking forward to reading.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crossroader
posted Hide Post
The Devil's Chessboard, by David Talbot

As soon as the government gets your guns, they'll be back to take your Bible.

Posts: 440 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: March 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just started The Hunt For Red October for perhaps the 10th time.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Finished Red October and am now into Unintended Consequences.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Deng Xiaoping's Long War: The Military Conflict Between China And Vietnam, 1979-1991" by Xiaoming Zhang.

Written like an academic/field report, but still lots of interesting information. Classic illustration of the point that the red Chinese don't think like us when it comes to strategic objectives; perhaps the last "people's war" that China will fight in the foreseeable future. Recommended, FWIW, especially for people like me who've never really dug into the story before.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Finished the ninth and final Expanse book "Leviathan Falls" last week.

After more than 5000 pages of books, all the digital only novellas, the graphic novels, and of course the TV series - I have no idea what I want to read next.

Guess I could start over from the beginning...

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading Glendon Swarthout's The Shootist, which most here will know was made into John Wayne's last film. It's a very enjoyable read. I'm a third of the way through it. It's nice to have all the scenery and characters already in my head, although the setting in the book is El Paso, Texas and not Carson City, Nevada as it is in the film. If you like Western novels, this is for you. While I enjoyed Robert Parker's western stories, Swarthout's writing is superior.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Hot Springs
Pale Horse Coming
Havana
The 47th Samurai

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Given the recent movie release, I started reading "Dune" again a few eeks back. I recall reading it when I was college age, but theres a lot in the book that I didnt remember.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Currently reading "Dead in the Water" a Stone Barrington novel by Stuart Woods.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Alex Versus series and Alex Carter series, both urban paranormal category.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Started book 1 of The Expanse: Leviathan Wakes last night. 4 chapters in.
The show tracks really closely to the book, so far.
Got the first 3 from my girls yesterday for my birthday. Hefty mini-box set (hardback).

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Finished Of Human Bondage, Maugham, and it is indeed a great novel, as promised by its place on many great books lists.

Starting Fire in the Hole, which is a collection of 9 short stories by Elmore Leonard. Among the stories is “Fire in the Hole,” which served as the inspiration for the tv series, “Justified,” and thats what led me to buy the book. Haven’t got to that one yet.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
On my Kindle reader, I am halfway through 'Wool', by Hugh Howey, book 1 of the Silo trilogy.

In 'real' books, I have just started 'Inside the Third Reich', by Albert Speer, Hitler's architect.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Winter Army by Maurice Isserman

World War II odyssey of the 10th Mountain Division

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post