SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've read quite a few books over the Summer. Some very good, some just OK. Here are a couple I thought were good.

"Ransom", the latest in the Gabriel Allon Series by Daniel Silva. I really enjoyed this, a good mix of characters and a good story. He'd drifted a little left a book or two back, this one not so much. Some humor and beautiful women, too.

"River-Horse" by William Least Heat Moon. The author details his trip from the Atlantic to Pacific by boat, a heck of an undertaking. He's a very good storyteller and the details of the trip are interesting. This not something casually done, it's 5200 miles and took 4 months. I'm not too sure others have done this non-stop, he met a guy doing it over 7 years! I checked it out of my library and the book feels unread, between 2000 and 2007 it was checked out 5 times, then they went digital. Moon wrote "Blue Highways", his travel across America, I'd read that years ago, I think it's still popular.

"How to Rule the World - An Education in Power at Stanford University" by Theo Baker. The story of Stanford within Stanford, the tech world. Written by an undergraduate student, he takes on and has the president of the university removed. He delves in to the fraud in medical research and money that comes to a segment of the students from Silicon Valley. I found this to be a real eye opener, I doubt many know what goes on in this university.



"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
 
Posts: 3698 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I am currently reading The Son by Philipp Meyer. It is an epic western about the rise of a family. It jumps around the different generations which, ultimately, is a confusing way to tell a story, imo. First few chapters I was constantly checking the family tree provided at the beginning but that grows tiresome. I like the novel and subject though so I’m persevering and caring less about the characters relationships to one another and just trying to pick up on the clues.



There ain't much difference in the man I want to be and the man that I really am.
 
Posts: 11009 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Just checked out the Autobiography of Calvin Coolidge from our library. Hope to start it this weekend.


__________________________
Writing the next chapter that I've been looking forward to.
 
Posts: 11688 | Location: Willow Fen Farm | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Angel Down.

Pulitzer Prize winning novel about a small unit of American doughboys in WW1 who discover a wounded angel in no man's land. Its most unique feature is that the entire novel is written as one long run-on sentence, albeit with paragraph breaks, intended to impart a feeling of the relentless horrors and chaos of trench warfare. (While that may sound odd, it doesn't make it hard to read, as after the first couple pages you stop overtly noticing the format and read it mostly like a normal book.)

 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
How the Light Gets In - Louise Penny. Another one in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series.
 
Posts: 6111 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 ... 55 56 57 58 
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?

© SIGforum 2026