SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 2/3 through a trilogy on the US Army in the Pacific during WWII. Newsflash: The Marines did not win the Pacific War all by themselves, the Army did a heck of a lot more fighting but got less recognition.

Here are the John McManus books:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Fo...75046/ref=mp_s_a_1_1

https://www.amazon.com/Island-.../132-0733433-9836800

https://www.amazon.com/End-Ear...86885/ref=mp_s_a_1_7

Every time I read about the Pacific Theater, I develop less and less respect for MacArthur, who was a narcissistic jerk! I have even more respect for Harry S Truman who had the balls to fire him.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I've tried to read 1984 several times and abandoned it each time. Just excruciating to read, though the writing is very good.

I just finished Notorious Nashville, and The Crusades From Beginning To End (a very short summary), and have started A Short History Of The World and A Dark Night In Aurora, about the theater mass shooting by James Holmes.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
now reading Icelandic thrillers wow those peoples minds are amazing.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Changed my mind and started All The Flowers Are Dying, 16th book in the Matt Scudder series.

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
I've tried to read 1984 several times and abandoned it each time. Just excruciating to read, though the writing is very good.

I just finished Notorious Nashville, and The Crusades From Beginning To End (a very short summary), and have started A Short History Of The World and A Dark Night In Aurora, about the theater mass shooting by James Holmes.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6043 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently going through the Joe Pickett series by CJ Box. Currently on "Winterkill".

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I've been burning through the Preston & Child Agent Pendergast series. Over the last couple of months, I've read:

- Dance of Death
- The Wheel of Darkness
- Cemetery Dance
- Fever Dream
- Cold Vengeance
- Two Graves
- White Fire
- Blue Labyrinth
- Crimson Shore
- Obsidian Chamber, and
- City of Endless Night

Currently, I'm reading the Elmore Leonard Raylan Givens books. I've finished Pronto and Riding the Rap, and am about halfway through Raylan.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
I just finished J.L. Bourne's The Tomorrow War. I like the pace of his writing and how he doesn't get caught up in too much detail of some things.

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:

Also just finished a couple of really interesting takes on classic fairy tales by Christina Henry.....one is Alice, the other is Lost Boy. Alternative and bloody what-if takes on Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, respectively. Unexpectedly good and quick reads. I grabbed Alice at the airport and finished it in a single flight from Seattle to Dallas.

I saw you post and just finished "Lost Boy", really entertaining, a certainly different take. "Alice" is on my library wait list.

I've recently read 4 of Baldacci's Amos Decker books, waiting on the library for the next. Enjoying these, so far.

Right now, I've started "Trust" by Hernan Diaz, it was gift, knew nothing about it. So far, it's an interesting read, not sure what's to come.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Started reading Willa Cather's short stories. She is one of my favorite authors.

Some of these stories, particularly "Neighbour Rosicky" and "The Enchanted Bluff", are excellent.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've recently read 4 of Baldacci's Amos Decker books, waiting on the library for the next. Enjoying these, so far.

Coincidentally, I'm on #4 of the Decker series myself right now.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:

Just finished reading it a few days ago, not really in any hurry and just read in spare time here and there. Now at least I can say I’ve read it but I won’t be going back and rereading it.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
"Trust" by Hernan Diaz, a very different book. It's four books in one and all comes together in book four. The finance world in the '20s, a different take, different perspective. I liked it for it's being different and the way it comes together. I looked it up on Amazon and saw that it was "One of Obama's favorite books of 2022". I doubt he read it, maybe the audiobook while napping.

Now reading "The Collector" the latest by Daniel Silva, enjoyable as expected.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just started Brad Thor's new thriller "Dead Fall." I am liking it a lot. The main character is Scot Harvath who is in most of Brad Thor's books. It is set in the current conflict in Ukraine.

Posts: 1053 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
LARS KEPLAR Spider, another mind blowing Nordic thriller

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Just started Brad Thor's new thriller "Dead Fall." I am liking it a lot. The main character is Scot Harvath who is in most of Brad Thor's books. It is set in the current conflict in Ukraine.

Thanks. I'm about halfway through the latest Grisham book, and forgot Brad Thor had a new one. I just ordered it before it slips my mind again.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Wrapped up Robert Conquest's "The Great Terror" covering Stalin's purges.

Next up is one of Simon Scarrow's 'Order of the Eagle' Roman historical fiction series - I'm up to #18, "Traitors of Rome."

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently reading and thoroughly enjoying William S. Burroughs' Junkie. Burroughs pulls you right in, and knowing that the work is semi-biographical makes it all the more intriguing.

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Currently reading and thoroughly enjoying William S. Burroughs' Junkie. Burroughs pulls you right in, and knowing that the work is semi-biographical makes it all the more intriguing.

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of this book.

Finished Jack Carr’s latest and now I’m re-reading Two Years Before the Mast, Richard Henry Dana. It’s every bit as good as I remembered it. Dana went to law school after his return to Massachusetts (what became Harvard Law) and had a distinguished career specializing in maritime law.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about to start "Why We Drive" by Matthew Crawford. I really liked his "Shopclass as Soulcraft", enough to have read it more than once.

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post