SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Currently on Steve Berry's The Jefferson Key. I'm having a hard time with this one. I've read many of his Cotton Malone books, but for some reason I'm just slugging my way through this one.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
Finished Tom Clancy's Executive Orders and am halfway through Rainbow Six.. I feel like I've slipped into a Robin Cook series.

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Restarting the Song of Ice and Fire series.

If you're an audiobook guy, and haven't tried the audio versions, you owe it to yourself to give that a whirl. Roy Dotrice does the narration, and he's fantastic. Some of the best audiobook narration I've listened to. (Though his pronunciation of some of the names differs from the ones used in the TV show, which can take a minute to adapt to.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Once and Future King by T.H. White. The story of King Arthur and Camelot. One of my all-time favorite novels. I re-read it every decade or so. Erudite but witty, a great story, and utterly charming in the best sense of the word. A wonderful read. If you can read the opening and not want to read further, well, I don't know what to say. I guess there's no hope for you (lol to myself).

Para, have you read it? I would be interested in your opinion. I think you would appreciate it.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just finishing David Baldacci's latest, Simply Lies. Another good one from him, not one of the several character series he has going, but a stand-alone novel.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
The Once And Future King Brilliant Novel!!! Smile

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Interesting Stuff Sir

parabellum

Lately, I've returned to my study of French filmmaking in the early sound era- 1930 to 1960.

I've been reading Cinema of Paradox - French Filmmaking Under the German Occupation

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
The Once And Future King Brilliant Novel!!! Smile

Are you agreeing with me, or is that what you have been reading, too?

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Have read the book off and on for over 60 years, agreeing with you
I have been a King Authur devotee since the 1960's
I read Geoffrey of Monmouth classic'De gestis Britonum or Historia Regum Britanniae'
The History Of The Kings Of Britain at school; the school I attended is in sight of Hastings Castle built by William in 1066 the original built before the Battle.

Have you read Mallory's Le Morte d'Arthur? The Death Of Arthur?

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

posted Hide Post
quote:
I read Geoffrey of Monmouth classic'De gestis Britonum or Historia Regum Britanniae'
The History Of The Kings Of Britain at school; the school I attended is in sight of Hastings Castle built by William in 1066 the original built before the Battle.

Have you read Bernard Cornwell’s Arthur trilogy?

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Just finishing David Baldacci's latest, Simply Lies. Another good one from him, not one of the several character series he has going, but a stand-alone novel.

Must be very recent! My printed Baldacci checklist from April 9 doesn't have it listed.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, I haven't. I have heard of it, though. I'll look into it.

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
quote:

Have you read Bernard Cornwell’s Arthur trilogy?

No Sir but I will find copy from the library

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Am trying to re-read '1984' but it is hard.

Also just got "Up From The Ashes". The revival of the American Chimney Sweep Trade.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cyberphobia, have you read the four Arthurian novels by Mary Stewart? The first in the series is The Crystal Cave. It is about Merlin and hard to put down once you start reading. Just an excellent author!

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
No I have not, I have gotten into eye opening Nordic Noir for the past couple of years, with a smattering of Lee Child; who now co writes not very good now his books got very sameish.

Way back there was a series of books by Jack Whyte 'Camulod Chronicles'a really different take on the Arthurian Legend.

Keep reading and use Libraries they are hardly used here in SW Florida its terrible seeing them close.

That was my good deed for the day.

Cool

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Also just got "Up From The Ashes". The revival of the American Chimney Sweep Trade.

Reading 1984 for the the first time. Yeah I know I’m not much of a reader but lately seems this book is being compared to what could happen in today’s government, not necessarily ours. It’s really not my type of book but it’s started to pick up and I really want to finish it since I’ve already started and am half way through before I start another.

I still have the last two Jack Carr books which I really need to read.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

Reading 1984 for the the first time. Yeah I know I’m not much of a reader but lately seems this book is being compared to what could happen in today’s government, not necessarily ours. It’s really not my type of book but it’s started to pick up and I really want to finish it since I’ve already started and am half way through before I start another.

I still have the last two Jack Carr books which I really need to read.

A bit of a coincidence, I’m reading Carr’s most recent, “Only the Dead” right now. I’m only about a quarter of the way into the book, but it’s apparent to me that Jack Carr is growing as a writer; I think this is his best. He is scathing in his very thinly veiled criticism (attacks?) on the current administration. Makes me want to post some excerpts in the Forum.

Last year I read both “1984” and “Brave New World.” Both certainly should make a patriotic citizen pay close attention to the machinations of government, and I’ll say no more than that.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I got In the Blood last year when it came out and just haven’t had the time to read it yet. Good thing about it now can read back to back with a little less time between the next books release.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Currently about halfway through Mick Herron's Slow Horses series (book 3, London Rules), excellent as is the TV series with Gary Oldman on Apple TV if you like spy/espionage genre.

Also just finished a couple of really interesting takes on classic fairy tales by Christina Henry.....one is Alice, the other is Lost Boy. Alternative and bloody what-if takes on Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan, respectively. Unexpectedly good and quick reads. I grabbed Alice at the airport and finished it in a single flight from Seattle to Dallas.

On the nonfiction side I grabbed Erik Larson's Churchill book, The Splendid and the Vile. I have high expectations for this, as everything else I've read by Larson has been brilliant.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post