SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

While scanning our library's digital catalog, I spotted an author I was not familiar with, Ben Coes. He has a series of 9 novels built around the character, Dewey Andreas, a former Delta. Lots of action, and a very good and fast moving read.

I just finished book 1 of the series. I enjoyed it. Thanks for referring the series.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
"Shadow Divers" by Rober Kurson is a great, true story. In 1991 a NJ dive boat was exploring something on the bottom in 230 ft of water. The divers were amazed, it was WWII German submarine. It took them 6 years to identify it, neither the US Navy or the German govn't knew it was there or which sub it was. There is a PBS Nova about this, "Hitler's Lost Sub", I watched it after reading the book, glad I waited.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I’m reading Apollyon Rising 2012 by Thomas Horn

Looks like it’s talking about the founding fathers were Freemasons rather than Christian and the current moral downfall was planned from the beginning.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Now reading Dempsey, the 7th book in the Tier One series.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Still reading the Stone Barrington series by Stewart Woods. On book #33 now. Damn prolific. But he spews some liberal bullshit. Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

While scanning our library's digital catalog, I spotted an author I was not familiar with, Ben Coes. He has a series of 9 novels built around the character, Dewey Andreas, a former Delta. Lots of action, and a very good and fast moving read.

I just finished book 1 of the series. I enjoyed it. Thanks for referring the series.
Mike

I am about done with book 5, Independence Day, and the action continues. They are well written and hard to put down. Some similarities to Jack Carr's James Reece series, especially the weapons and equipment call-outs (no Black Rifle coffee, though).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Erick85:
The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson.

Big fan of Erik Larson. In the Garden of Beasts is my fav by him, though I see he has a new one out about Churchill.

Posts: 1731 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'm about 3/4 of the way through Louise Penny's first book, Still Life, in the Armand Ganache series. It took me a while to get used to her very descriptive writing and I really had to slow down to digest all she was saying. It's very good and her style can be mesmerizing and almost poetic at times. A very interesting story so far.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprise, Kill, Vanish. The Secret History of CIA Paramilitary Armies, Operators, and Assassins.

By Anne Jacobsen. 2019

Damn…..what a read and revelation. Excellent work.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The Zodiac Revisited, Vol. 1. It is phenomenal if you like true crime. I'm around 40% through it and find it so good I went ahead and bought the other two volumes.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
King/Straub - Black House. So far I like it better than the first book The Talisman.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It

President of the firm I work for has/is reading it, third time through I think. Figured I needed to for self preservation if nothing else!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
"Shadow Divers" by Rober Kurson is a great, true story. In 1991 a NJ dive boat was exploring something on the bottom in 230 ft of water. The divers were amazed, it was WWII German submarine. It took them 6 years to identify it, neither the US Navy or the German govn't knew it was there or which sub it was.

I had this delivered to our rental on Tybee yesterday and finished it this AM. What a great book. I’ll Karma it off once we get home next week.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve never been scuba or wreck diving. This book sure didn’t sell me on trying it. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Bullet Garden" by Stephen Hunter. Liked it. Up next, Hunter's "Basil's War".

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I just started the first in the Will Robie series by David Baldacci having just finished the 41st in the Stone Barrington series by Stuart Woods.

Also recently read the second in the Gamache series by Louise Penny and the first of the Atlee Pine series by Baldacci.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Intellectuals and Society (2011 revised) by Dr. Thomas Sowell. I love listening to and reading his words. A national treasure.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter. Up next, "Burner" by Mark Greaney (it's the latest Gray Man installment).

Posts: 704 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Just finished vol 2. Vol 1 covers the details of the crimes, as well as several other crimes potentially attributable to the Zodiac killer.

Vol 2 covers some interesting analyses of aspects of the case, such as the astronomical, rather than astrological aspects of the Zodiac, cryptanalysis, etc. Gets down in the weeds at times, but really fascinating.

On to vol 3!

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
The Zodiac Revisited, Vol. 1. It is phenomenal if you like true crime. I'm around 40% through it and find it so good I went ahead and bought the other two volumes.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've become a fan of Tom Clavin books, including those he co authors with Bob Drury. His latest is "Follow Me to Hell - McNelly's Teaxas Rangers", I'm reading it now and it's good.

But this is about another book by Clavin, I pulled it out to send to a friend when I realized Clavin was the author. It was recommended by a friend a few years ago and it's excellent. "Dark Noon" is the tragic story of a fishing trip gone bad, right near shore. The fact that I've boated the area around Montauk, NY may have swayed me a bit. But if you're a boater, fish off boats or just enjoy a heck of a story this may be for you.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
I'm reading Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books in chronological order. Just started Debt of Honor. Sum of All Fears was intense!

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1216 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post