SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... 230
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Definitely opportune for the teams to take advantage of the break.
As a Bottas/Alfa fan, I really hope they can make some progress. Seeing him languish at the back sucks.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Yes, Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri seem to need some serious upgrades.
Both Haas and Williams have made progress since last year and the front of the mid field to the back is really close.
Hopefully Ferrari, Aston Martin, and Mercedes can make a step forward quicker than Red Bull so the front is more competitive.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The odd bit is that Bottas had a good run in Bahrain & had nothing to show for it in Saudi nor Australia.

Not sure if the Alfa just doesn't do well on high speed handling, or if the other midfielders made big strides since Bahrain.

We'll see come Baku.
Now the long wait.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A one month break would have been more useful in the pre-cost cap days, but now not so much. The teams usually have upgrades planned and scheduled, so bringing them now instead of later may not help much.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It means the crews get to sleep in their own homes for a month and see their families instead of getting on a plane to another country since they're working almost year round.

Posts: 4182 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Formula 1 agrees multi-year deal to bring Paramount+ on board

This article and others mention which races will see early involvement from them, but little else. Does that mean this will evolve to a replacement for F1 app and viewing (which seems unlikely) or to replace ESPN, Sky, etc. in the broadcast rights world?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hope ESPN doesn't lose the Sky coverage.
That'll be the straw to push me to F1TV, and the ESPN channels for F1 are my main reason for having YTTV.
Really hope F1 can get a native app for Samsung TVs by then.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hope they are able to stay on ESPN as well.

Can't use the streaming service as my AT&T internet is very shitty.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've got the bandwidth for F1TV, I just don't want to add another service, and have to tether a 2nd device to the TV to watch, since there isn't a native app available.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Since f1 and Indycar were about all I watched on regular tv and the needed services to make that happen are about $70 a month now, this wasn’t a hard decision.
The F1 pro subscription is $70 a year and the Peacock NBC ($4.99 a month) for Indycar can be switched off when the season ends, so really about 8 months.
That’s a big savings and better coverage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Here's the official release from F1 about the Paramount deal. Doesn't really say much about if it's going to affect the broadcast rights

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...rCcuUExsBOI3RPN.html

quote:

Formula 1 has announced a multi-year promotional deal with Paramount+ that will see the subscription service become an official partner of the sport.

As part of the arrangement – which follows on from a successful sports and entertainment collaboration between the two brands last season – the streamer’s popular content offering will come to life at F1 events around the world, with Paramount+ hit series, blockbuster movies and beloved characters taking centre stage inside Fan Zone areas.

​​​​​​​Additionally, the partnership will include Paramount+ branding on track and physical trackside signage, digital sponsorships and promotional opportunities in Miami, Montreal, Spielberg, Silverstone, Monza, Suzuka, Austin, Mexico City, Sao Paulo and Las Vegas.

“This partnership exemplifies Formula 1’s ongoing commitment to exploring new avenues to help promote the sport and appeal to new audiences,” said Brandon Snow, Managing Director of Commercial at Formula 1.

“Paramount+ and the content on its platform are hugely popular and like F1 has experienced rapid growth in recent years.

“Together, we will use our global platforms and collective expertise in entertainment to further enhance the fan experience and take both Formula 1 and Paramount+ to new levels."

Marco Nobili, Executive Vice President and International General Manager at Paramount+, added: “Paramount+ continues to seek new, innovative ways to reach our global audiences, and I am confident this partnership with Formula 1 will continue to support our growth globally.

“Becoming an official partner of Formula 1 means bringing the Paramount+ brand and all our characters to life for hundreds of millions of fans worldwide.

“Through this global deal the worlds of motorsport and entertainment will come together, resulting in powerful storytelling opportunities on and off the grid.”

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Missed a lunch meeting with a vendor last week, but the rest of my dept was in attendance.
Sounds like F1 was brought up & I walked in to this on my desk this morning

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
James Allison back in as Technical Director at Mercedes.
I sort of recall a similar thing at Red Bull many years ago when Adrian Newey went off to design an Americas Cup boat to clear his head and the team struggled.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/...technical-reshuffle/

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Got an email from Alfa for Miami tickets
$2k/person with Thursday paddock access & driver meet.
Too steep for me when adding in travel costs. Maybe if it were at COTA.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Prior to this change, you either loved the Sprint or hated it. Now EVERYONE hates it.
Good job FIA!

quote:
Friday - A single Free Practice session followed by Qualifying for the Grand Prix (standard Qualifying format).
Saturday - Qualifying for the Sprint (Sprint Shootout) followed by the Sprint.
Sunday - Grand Prix.

Full description including tires and other rules.

Pretty Bush League to drop this 3 days before race. I know teams have been working through all scenarios for a weekend program, but this is just introducing unnecessary chaos to the whole weekend instead of just Saturday.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought they had already decided that the sprint was going to be a standalone event with the sprint and it’s qualifying not having any relation to the race.

I hated the sprint race weekend format when it first came out, and now they’ve just made it stupider. Basically the pecking order is determined on Friday, and both qualifying and both races should play out similar. The joker in the order will be who wrecks out, which almost always happens at Baku.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that sounds awful
Renders the Sprint results pointless, effectively, apart from the points awarded.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
The joker in the order will be who wrecks out,.....

And with no third chassis allowed in the garage now, when that happens in a sprint it's going to be tough for someone to even run the GP.

quote:
....just made it stupider.

Let's just hope this is the max more stupiderest and we only see improvements from here. OTOH, maybe they'll start running race in two or three stages with mandatory caution for the intervening laps.... Roll Eyes

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or, this change gets enough backlash that it's short-lived.
Remember knockout qualifying from 2016? Lasted all of 2 races & was absolutely horrible.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of cutting the cable cord.

Currently I will set the cloud DVR to tape the race, whether it's on ESPN or occasionally on ABC. And I also tape qualifying and the Sunday pre-race show.

I have Disney+ and Hulu, and might have the ESPN+ option, but I am not sure on that.

Should I go the ESPN+ option? Or go for F1 TV?

I never, ever watch the race live. So it is imperative that I be able to watch after the fact. Doesn't matter to me whether the TV (Vizio) has a native app, or I have to stream from my phone.

Which direction do I want to go?

Posts: 2303 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post