SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Checo, well run
Nice recovery by Max
Miserable weekend for Alfa & Bottas, wondering if the car is too draggy on a high speed circuit like this. From best of the rest to last in 2 races is definitely odd.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Tough day for Ferrari too even though the drivers got about all there was to get.
Mercedes executed well, the car still isn't where it needs to be.
Glad to see some common sense applied to the Alonso situation. George Russell was very gracious in the post race interview when he was first shown being moved up and said the officials need to rethink some of the rules applications. Apparently it’s really hard to see those grid box lines from the cockpit of the cars now, both on the grid and the white lines for track limits.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Apparently it’s really hard to see those grid box lines from the cockpit of the cars now, both on the grid and the white lines for track limits.

That isn't why he got his place back...that penalty stood. It has to do with the electronic sensors on the starting grid and the transponders in the car...not being able to read the cars position is considered a racing advantage.

What they backed off of is the rear jack touching the car before the 5secs had elapsed. A-M argued that although the rule was violated, it was common practice, when cars came into the pit stall, to come into contact with the front jack. This has been a common practice that has been accepted over time (has to do with car positioning in the stall). The Rule, as written, doesn't specify which jack can't contact the car. The conflict been the written rule and the accepted practice made the rule unenforceable

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Apparently it’s really hard to see those grid box lines from the cockpit of the cars now, both on the grid and the white lines for track limits.

That isn't why he got his place back...that penalty stood. It has to do with the electronic sensors on the starting grid and the transponders in the car...not being able to read the cars position is considered a racing advantage.

What they backed off of is the rear jack touching the car before the 5secs had elapsed. A-M argued that although the rule was violated, it was common practice, when cars came into the pit stall, to come into contact with the front jack. This has been a common practice that has been accepted over time (has to do with car positioning in the stall). The Rule, as written, doesn't specify which jack can't contact the car. The conflict been the written rule and the accepted practice made the rule unenforceable

Got that.
I was referring to the comments by Russell, Perez and others that due to the cockpit height and wheel fairings, they can't see the area close to the car at ground level.
They also mentioned they were meeting with the FIA before the next race to discuss that issue and others and to bring a bit of common sense to the severity of punishment vs the infraction and the advantage gained.
They all agreed that while there needs to be a rule that you start within a marked area, Alonso gained zero advantage being to the side by 12" or so. For one thing the box leaves little room for error and may need to be made a bit wider for example.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alonso gained zero advantage being to the side by 12" or so. For one thing the box leaves little room for error and may need to be made a bit wider for example.

Yes thought the same since he was still behind the start line of the box, but, it's on world wide TV, it was clearly shown to the public and if they didn't follow the rules there would be public outcry all over social media about him getting off scott free for a violation by fans of F1 and especially other driver/teams.

Don't buy the "we can't see it" excuse while it may be real, the rest of the field were in their boxes, so if it's that hard why were there not 2, 5, 10 cars outside of the box, at every race.

Just put a mini cam on the front of the car and feed it to the drivers system, give him a button to press and make sure he's in the box.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

Verstappen pipped Checo for the Fastest Lap point on the final lap

When Max was doing that on the last lap all I could think was, "Please lose it and put it in the wall."

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that last year and this year in the first two races if either RB car is in front the other cant catch it. Horner did say that Checo needs to improve his lap times this year but there was no way MV drive shaft or not was going to catch Checo. Interesting.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

Verstappen pipped Checo for the Fastest Lap point on the final lap

When Max was doing that on the last lap all I could think was, "Please lose it and put it in the wall."

I was thinking the same thing Big Grin

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marinemaster:
...but there was no way MV drive shaft or not was going to catch Checo. Interesting.

There was interesting radio traffic over the last few laps.

Checo's engineer gave him a target lap time...which was a bit slower than he had been lapping at.

Apparently it was the same lap time Max was lapping at and Checo comes on the radio and says, "What are you trying to tell me?"...implying that they wanted him to slow down so Max could catch up.

After a pause, the engineer came back on and told him that he could drive as fast as he wanted.

Checo lower his lap time by a couple of seconds...I'm sure he would have liked to have taken the Fastest Lap point also

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by marinemaster:
...but there was no way MV drive shaft or not was going to catch Checo. Interesting.

There was interesting radio traffic over the last few laps.

Checo's engineer gave him a target lap time...which was a bit slower than he had been lapping at.

Apparently it was the same lap time Max was lapping at and Checo comes on the radio and says, "What are you trying to tell me?"...implying that they wanted him to slow down so Max could catch up.

After a pause, the engineer came back on and told him that he could drive as fast as he wanted.

Checo lower his lap time by a couple of seconds...I'm sure he would have liked to have taken the Fastest Lap point also

Yeah, too early in the season to get into team orders.
Let them race until 1 has a clear lead.
One of the issues brought up with Mercedes, both Ham & Rus are alpha types & likely to take points off each other over the season. Good for the team, but not great from a WDC perspective.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In other AM news, on the F1Nation podcast they were discussing the wind tunnel differential in time between RB and AM. Apparently due to finishing positions last year the AM team gets 50%(!!)more. Not sure if that's pre and in season, suspect combined. Pedro did note that there is a mid-season reshuffle based on current standings, but by then AM may have made a lot of progress.

While they may not be able to catch up to the RB team, they may well be solidly ahead of the number 2 and 3 finishers from last season.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
AM has definitely been the shocker this season.
Alonso, I think, we all expected to get a lot out of the car, but Stroll also doing well shows that the car is pretty sorted & it's not just FA overdriving it.
Hoping they, or MB/Fer, can close the gap to RBR & we can get some good fights at the front.

Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
... on the F1Nation podcast they were discussing the wind tunnel differential in time between RB and AM. Apparently due to finishing positions last year the AM team gets 50%(!!)more. Not sure if that's pre and in season, suspect combined.

It is the total wind tunnel and CFD testing for the year...so they have to save some to use during the year for updates and to work on next year's car

A-M finished 7th last year in the Constructors Championship, that gave them 100% aero testing allowance (the 10th team got 115%). RB, finishing 1st was allotted 70% aero testing, but they were also penalized, for exceeding the cost cap, by a 10% reduction in testing time...so a total of 60% aero testing

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Something interesting for this weekend's NASCAR race at COTA is Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonen both qualifed for the race and they aren't throwing a yellow flag at the end of stages.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Something interesting for this weekend's NASCAR race at COTA is Jenson Button and Kimi Raikkonen both qualifed for the race and they aren't throwing a yellow flag at the end of stages.

Just turned it on, we'll see how long I make it.
Not used to seeing commercials at COTA Razz

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Yeah, read it started at 2:30p and I’ve watched about 90 seconds of racing since I turned it on and the rest was commercials and promos. I now remember why I stopped watching nascar 15+ years ago.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

Yeah, read it started at 2:30p and I’ve watched about 90 seconds of racing since I turned it on and the rest was commercials and promos. I now remember why I stopped watching nascar 15+ years ago.

Being at COTA is the only real reason I turned it on.
Love the ignoring of the track lines. Go into turn 1, make a left in Buda, and on to T2. Big Grin

Also watching to see how Kimi & Button do.

9 laps in & back to commercials Roll Eyes . Makes me love F1 being commercial free even more.

Just saw Guenther Steiner is one of the commentators. Waiting to hear some from him now.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Same was curious because of COTA, Kimi and saw that Guenther Steiner was doing some commentary. It is wild that they are allowed to drive basically where ever they want.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Same was curious because of COTA, Kimi and saw that Guenther Steiner was doing some commentary. It is wild that they are allowed to drive basically where ever they want.

Mentioned in commentary, track limits not enforced, except through the esses. 4 already penalized for it.

And, back to commercials

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Kimi up to 4th with 10 to go, late caution put him way up the order. Hope he can hold it on jump onto the podium.