SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder for those what exciting open wheel action, IndyCar is at the Indy Road Course today on NBC. They've had 4 pulse pointing races so far and it's Round 5 today.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The racing is pretty good, the coverage and commentary often not so good.
There were several things I saw while watching the real time video that they either missed completely or didn't pick up until later.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Imola Cancelled

quote:

The Formula 1 community wants to send its thoughts to the people and communities affected by the recent events in the Emilia-Romagna region. We also want to pay tribute to the work of the emergency services who are doing everything they can to help those in need.

Following discussions between Formula 1, the President of the FIA, the competent authorities – including the relevant Ministers, the President of the Automobile Club of Italy, the President of Emilia-Romagna Region, the Mayor of the City and the promoter – the decision has been taken not to proceed with the Grand Prix weekend at Imola.

The decision has been taken because it is not possible to safely hold the event for our fans, the teams and our personnel and it is the right and responsible thing to do given the situation faced by the towns and cities in the region. It would not be right to put further pressure on the local authorities and emergency services at this difficult time.

Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of Formula 1, said: “It is such a tragedy to see what has happened to Imola and Emilia-Romagna, the town and region that I grew up in, and my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the flooding and the families and communities affected.

“I want to express my gratitude and admiration for the incredible emergency services who are working tirelessly to help those who need help and alleviate the situation – they are heroes and the whole of Italy is proud of them.

“The decision that has been taken is the right one for everyone in the local communities and the F1 family as we need to ensure safety and not create extra burden for the authorities while they deal with this very awful situation.”

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem said: “My thoughts and those of the entire FIA family are with those affected by the terrible situation in the Emilia-Romagna region. The safety of everyone involved and recovery efforts are the top priority at this time.”

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers to those affected by the flooding.
Next up: Monaco!!!!!

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Figured. Now it's 2 weeks until the Monaco Parade.

Posts: 4164 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Well tomorrows qualifying and there's a better than average chance the pole winner will be the race winner.
And predictions besides Max?

Update: it just ended and I won’t spoil it if you haven’t seen it yet.
I’ll just say it was incredibly close and exciting so watch it if you can.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Procession as usual until the rain came. A lot slipperier that I'd expect.
Couple guys just had a miserable time, but there were a couple great overtaking dives, I think it was at Mirabeau for maybe the vest overtake of the race.

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
I was bored to tears until the rain. The fact that it only rained in 3 corners for like 4-5 laps really made it interesting.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can not imagine driving those cars that fast on the narrow streets of Monaco. Then throw in the rain!! They have very large attachments!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
While it was a fun parade, Aston Martin screwing Alonso by putting him on Mediums instead of Inters cost the race of any question of who would win.

On the plus side, Alonso is only 13 points behind Perez, but Mercedes is very close to overtaking Aston Martin. Stroll needs to pick up the pace. While I do think George Russell is a better driver right now than Lewis Hamilton, neither one is a slouch and are only being limited by their cars.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
I'm never bored by Monaco. Really, it's basically an exhibition and, oh yeah, points too. Why not?

There are camera angles around the track where the cars look faster than they do anywhere else, even though they may not be going all that fast. What's not to love about cars looking unbelievably fast?

Plus this year, some new views including overhead stuff (chopper?). In the sun, a true circus with the color and pageantry and then rain to make it a crap shoot. And what better place for a crap shoot than Monaco? There is nothing like this race.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8343 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I too enjoy Monaco for the spectacle, and this year the bonus of some excitement just as it was becoming snoozy....

If you want to have some fun with the harbor, pull up some YT videos of them docking some of the boats. There's one that is about 30 minutes of Octopus backing in and being tied off. Fascinating, to me at least.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The chopper shots were neat, but it was too high, IMO.
Often it was watching a dot circulate. Commentary said it's the first time they've had heli coverage for TV broadcast at Monaco.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The chopper shots were neat, but it was too high, IMO.
Often it was watching a dot circulate. Commentary said it's the first time they've had heli coverage for TV broadcast at Monaco.

Given the terrain and the buildings, I’m sure they had to be high. Monaco isn’t like tracks that are a fair distance from any tall structures.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Even with the rain, these cars are too big for Monaco to have a race. If someone wanted to watch a parade, that's fine. I watch racing to have a race, and the only time there was any risk to changing the finishing order was Aston Martin screwing Alonso out of Inters when he pitted. That's unacceptable.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking like a fight for the non-podium places this weekend. Max was flying today & was 7 10ths up on Perez in FP1 & the only car in the 1:13 in FP2.

Dropping the chicane at the end cut about 5 sec/lap off the lap times over last year.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Quite the grid shakeup in quali. We'll see how that affects tomorrow's race.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Max’s race to lose but behind it should be interesting. Then again, there’s a possibility of rain.
Alonso, Perez and maybe others suffered floor damage that handicapped them in qualifying. Look at where Stroll is and Alonso has been consistently.3 or better all year but he needs a good clean start and a few quick positions gained early. He also has good tire wear so either way he should move forward.
Leclerc has a heavy lift ahead and I didn’t hear any obvious issues found yet, but likely something will be found since he should be at least equal to Sainz on speed.
Hopefully the track will allow good passing opportunities.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
That was dreary.