SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Saw Toto bellyaching after about what a boring race it was, too much of a procession with two cars driving off into the sunset.

How, pray tell, can that man actually walk around the paddock with balls that fucking big???

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
Unless there are some mechanical failures, it seems highly probable that Red Bull wins every race this season.

They do seem unstoppable. Passed Leclerc today with minimal effort then just pulled away for a Sunday drive.

Yes, given that the Red Bull does seem to be that much better of a car, the season is shaping up to be a yawn. Even if there is racing for 3d through 8th, is is still boring.

I do like to see Alonso doing well, but that isn't enough.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
i wouldn't mind if I thought Perez was a credible challenger, even at the level of Nico Rosberg.
I don't thing he is and Max knows that. He's a good .5 seconds off of one lap pace and can't pull off the moves as needed like Max can, on command. That's why Max wasn't all that bothered.

Last weekend was unusual due to the schedule. After the first practice and qualifying the car setup was locked in and I suspect Max's wasn't optimized.
Even so, the team thought pitting him first would do the job but the yellow/pace car the next lap threw the plan out the window.

I was disappointed that the DRS at that race didn't spice things up more throughout the field and between the Red Bulls.

Now we will see if the Mercedes upgrades bring them back towards the front. They seem to have the strongest driver pairing.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
They mentioned DRS being 100m shorter for Baku, seemed like they were all about topped out around 208-215mph & flatlined even with slipstream & DRS.

Now, on to the parking lot/fake marina race & probably a ton of Logan Sargent screen time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I had a pretty strong pucker factor going into that last lap though Wink

Holy cow what a screw up.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SO...who's ready for the 2024 F1 season?

This contest with the might-have-beens fighting for the third podium spot is quaint but ultimately is deathly boring. Red Bull clearly has the magical elixir and everyone else is left wanting and searching for answers. Unless Formula 1 and/or the FIA decides to dial back Red Bull in some unbeknownst manner, this currently running iteration of the 2023 season is already over.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
And, I've read that some teams think RBR is actually holding back their true pace. Rumor/conjecture, but given their early dominance, maybe believable.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Daniel Ricciardo in Red Bull kit
Amid his F1 exile, Daniel Ricciardo rebuilds himself for a return: ‘I know I’m not done’
Luke Smith
Apr 27, 2023

The light at the end of the pit lane turns green and a line of cars slowly files onto the track. Champions Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen, race winners Charles Leclerc, Carlos Sainz, George Russell and Sergio Pérez — the biggest stars racing for the biggest teams — begin qualifying for the 2023 Australian Grand Prix.

Daniel Ricciardo has beaten all of them. An eight-time grand prix winner, he knows what it takes to go up against the very best and win.

But on this day he is a spectator. Standing in the Red Bull garage wearing jeans and a team-branded fleece, headphones on, listening to the radio chatter between the engineers in his role as reserve driver, Ricciardo’s body tells him he’s in the wrong place.

He looks down and notices his feet, involuntarily, tapping. The pressure, the excitement, the nerves of qualifying, where drivers put everything on the line for the quickest lap possible, has Ricciardo wishing he were out there.

“I was antsy,” Ricciardo told The Athletic hours later. “I did envy the moment a little bit.”

Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Oracle Red Bull Racing looks on in the garage during qualifying ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Australia at Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit on April 01, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia.
“I’ve got no hidden agenda,” Ricciardo says of his role as a reserve driver. “There’s no ego. I’m not too proud. I’m trying to build myself back up.” (Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ricciardo, with 232 races under his belt, was a spectator by choice. After splitting with McLaren at the end of last season with a year remaining on his contract, a mutual decision after a season of poor results and struggle for performance, he opted to take a year out of racing in F1. He returned to his former team, Red Bull, as a reserve driver. Stepping away for a year or two has worked for drivers before: Alain Prost came back from a sabbatical to win his fourth world championship, in 1993; Fernando Alonso took two years out and is now an F1 front-runner again.

The reduced stakes of the reserve driver role at Red Bull are giving Ricciardo the chance to reset and rebuild his knocked confidence. Most importantly, the time away is helping him figure out whether he really wants to return to F1 full-time at all.

As The Athletic saw and heard first-hand while spending time with Ricciardo during his first race back in the F1 paddock in Australia earlier this month, as much as he is enjoying the benefits of his new-found freedom, he remains hungry to get back to his race-winning peak.

“Deep down, I know I’m not done,” he said.

Rewind five years, and the idea of Ricciardo being without a race seat was unthinkable.

After rising through Red Bull’s junior ranks and impressing for its sister F1 team, Toro Rosso, Ricciardo was handed a seat alongside reigning four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel for 2014. He outscored Vettel in their first season together at Red Bull, notching three wins in a year dominated by Mercedes and gaining acclaim for his aggressive overtakes and bravery under braking. He did it all with a smile and buzzing personality that stood him out from his peers.

“I’ve never won a world championship,” Ricciardo said. “But for a big part of my career, I was at least fighting for wins or podiums. I always considered myself as good, if not better, than everyone else.”

Daniel Ricciardo of Australia driving the (3) Renault Sport Formula One Team RS20 leads Sergio Perez of Mexico driving the (11) Racing Point RP20 Mercedes and Lando Norris of Great Britain driving the (4) McLaren F1 Team MCL35 Renault during the F1 Grand Prix of Tuscany at Mugello Circuit on September 13, 2020 in Scarperia, Italy.
Ricciardo drove at a high level during his two-year stint with Renault, but scored just two podiums. (Jenifer Lorenzini – Pool/Getty Images)
By 2018, Ricciardo stood among the elite racers in F1, his status no clearer than when winning F1’s most famous race, the Monaco Grand Prix, with a failing engine. But within Red Bull, Ricciardo felt a growing shift toward his young teammate, Verstappen, who had stepped up to the senior squad in 2016. A crash between them in Baku, in which Red Bull appeared to side with Verstappen, told Ricciardo it was time to look for a new opportunity.

That came with Renault. It was a major storyline in the debut season of Netflix’s “Drive to Survive,” as Ricciardo considered a step down to a less competitive car, but with a team on which he could be the leader, and which he could help build into a front-runner. Ricciardo’s performances remained at a high level during his two-year stint with the team, but he was limited to only two podiums — both in 2020 — before jumping ship to McLaren.

There, things never quite clicked. Ricciardo struggled to master the intricacies of the McLaren car, which requires a very particular driving style. A shock win at Monza in 2021 appeared to signal Ricciardo’s return to the top table, but it proved an outlier. With young teammate Lando Norris outperforming him and Ricciardo showing little sign of progress in the early part of last season, McLaren began to explore bringing an early end to his contract, due to expire at the end of 2023.

Only Ricciardo had the power to terminate the contract, but he sensed it was time to take a break. He became the highest-profile free agent on the driver market, but few available seats interested him. With his confidence knocked, the idea of more of the same, mired in F1’s competitive midfield, didn’t appeal. Once a settlement was agreed with McLaren and his contract terminated, Ricciardo decided to take a timeout from racing. He had some things to figure out.

“I don’t think he knows exactly why it didn’t click,” said Zak Brown, McLaren’s CEO. “Sometimes, drivers just need to recharge their batteries.”

Ricciardo may be known for his life-of-the-party, bubbling personality seen so clearly on “Drive to Survive”. But the struggles of last year sapped a lot of that energy, causing Ricciardo to see an impact on life away from the track. “The bad days would then flow into my weeks,” he said. “Then I would have bad days as normal days when I’m not at the track.

“I was just not a good person at times to be around.”

Ricciardo’s priority once finishing the season was to put more time into his friends and family. For the first time in his adult life, he was living without a schedule, without a next race to work toward. After finishing the season in Abu Dhabi last November, he went straight back home to Perth in Australia for a couple of months. It was the longest he’d spent in one place since the start of the pandemic.

He then spent time in the United States, including a trip to the Super Bowl in Arizona, and in Monaco. He made it to Australia for the GP via Las Vegas, where he’d arranged the bachelor party for Australian snowboarder Scotty James (who is marrying Chloe Stroll, the sister of F1 driver Lance). “For what Vegas could be, I would say we behaved well,” Ricciardo said, admitting it felt “kind of mischievous” to be in Vegas the week before his home grand prix in Australia, so focused he’d been in previous years.

Through the early part of his winter off, Ricciardo didn’t even make plans to work out. Part of him wanted to see if he’d be happy to just lay on the couch and watch movies all day, deliberately distancing himself from the all-consuming world of F1. He didn’t even know if he’d bother watching the first race of the year in Bahrain. Would he care?

But while spending some quiet time alone in Monaco, Ricciardo felt the fire coming back. He wanted to be back in the gym, lifting weights, feeling good about himself. And of course he cared about F1. He’s not missed watching a single practice, qualifying or race session this year on TV.

It was all a sign to start thinking about getting back behind the wheel.

Ricciardo never wanted to sever his ties to F1 altogether. He had a number of options on the table for a reserve role in 2023, which would allow him to retain some involvement in the F1 world without the pressures of a race seat. Mercedes was known to have an interest in working with him. But a return to Red Bull was always going to make the most sense, being the environment that brought out the best in Ricciardo all those years ago.

The familiarity of the team didn’t stop him from feeling tense ahead of his first simulator session back. “I was certainly nervous,” Ricciardo said. “I was like, ‘Maybe (the magic) is gone?’” It would be the truest test yet of whether he still had the spark that once made him so hard to beat.

His anxiety quickly abated. With every lap he completed, Ricciardo felt his confidence returning. The Red Bull car characteristics, from its handling to its feel under braking, were like home. His old race engineer, Simon Rennie, was on hand to run the session, making it just like the glory days, laughs and all. “It was like we never left,” Ricciardo said.

during previews ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Australia at Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit on March 30, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia.
Ricciardo isn’t fully committed just yet to pursuing a racing comeback, he says. “But it’s brewing.” (Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
As enjoyable as the session might have been, the performance was less encouraging. “It was clear when he came back, he’d picked up some habits that we didn’t recognize as the Daniel that had left us,” said Christian Horner, Red Bull’s team principal. Ricciardo had adjusted his driving style in his efforts to tame the tricky McLaren, and he didn’t gel with the Red Bull car like he used to.

But the spark that was building soon began to ignite. Drivers hardly relish simulator sessions, spending hours on end completing virtual laps to refine the car setup and get a feel for new developments. Yet they became highlights of Ricciardo’s weeks, further confirming his desire to return. He’d keep asking for another lap. And another. And another. The rate of progress over the next two months, if charted, looked vertical. The performances became “far more reminiscent of the Daniel that we knew” according to Horner.

Ricciardo was back in business.

It came as a relief. His fear the magic might have gone faded as the times improved and his mojo returned. “I don’t want to say it too confidently, because it is just the sim,” Ricciardo said, knowing the chance to drive the actual car won’t come until a tire test in the fall (often completed by reserve drivers to give feedback on the updated tire designs). “But it was really encouraging. It was a sigh of relief as well for me, that I still can do it, and in the right environment, I can kind of get back to my old self.”

Red Bull is committed to making that happen. As valuable as a driver of his profile may be from a marketing point of view, Ricciardo is a far greater asset to the team than that. The Australia weekend saw him take part in all of the engineering debriefs, analyzing the car data along with Verstappen and Pérez, who joined Red Bull in 2021 and has established himself as Verstappen’s strongest teammate since Ricciardo.

Although Ricciardo said he was “trying not to make too much noise” given the focus on the needs of the race drivers, once the debrief was done, he would take the engineers to one side and ask questions to help get a better understanding of the car. He spent sessions either on the pit wall, listening to all of the radio communications, or inside the garage. He’s a firm part of the race team.

Ricciardo is also enjoying the selflessness of the role, something he did not feel when he was last at Red Bull, perhaps as a consequence of the pressures of competing at the top in F1. “I come at it from a different point of view now,” he said. “Even looking back at 2018 … it was just all about me, me, me. In all these young drivers, I see it. That’s just how we are.

“At times, I reacted a little too selfishly to a bad weekend. Now, I’m back with the team, but I’d say it’s a very selfless role. I’ve got no hidden agenda. There’s no ego. I’m not too proud. I’m trying to build myself back up.”

The first weekend working with Red Bull again at a grand prix was always going to be a big one for Ricciardo, but especially at his home event. In many ways, it was like he’d never been away.

“Can you catch?”

The woman’s face lights up as Ricciardo addresses her. She responds with a speechless nod before he gently tosses her a signed tennis ball, which he’s just used for a reaction test video for social media.

She catches the ball cleanly. And immediately bursts into tears.

Seeing this reaction, Ricciardo quickly gestures for her to be brought onto the stage. She makes her way forward, shoulders shuddering as the tears continue, and is guided by security to meet her hero. Ricciardo gives her a go at a reaction test, used to sharpen up before a race, dropping tennis balls from eye level before she snatches out and catches them, sparking claps from the watching crowd. They have a brief chat and pose for photos before she returns to her friends, beaming in disbelief.

It is the Ricciardo effect in full swing. In the midst of a hectic schedule of fan event appearances on the Saturday in Melbourne, he makes time for as many fans as he can. In the space of a few hours, he stops for over 100 selfies or autographs — race programs, T-shirts, caps, phone cases, you name it — even if just for a second, to share words of banter or thanks. His pull is magnetic.

Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Oracle Red Bull Racing greets fans on the Melbourne Walk during previews ahead of the F1 Grand Prix of Australia at Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit on March 30, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia.
Even when fan interactions get “intense,” Ricciardo appreciates the enthusiasm — especially given he’s not on the grid this year. (Clive Mason – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images)
“Daniel wants to give to everybody,” says one of the Red Bull team members shepherding Ricciardo through the crowds.

Ricciardo later admits he can find the fan interactions quite intense at times. But he knows the support typically comes from a very good place. “I try to remind myself about being in that position,” he says. Ricciardo remembers simply making eye contact with MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi when attending a race as a 16-year-old fan in 2005, and how much that meant to him. “I was once a bit strange too!” he says. “So I get it.”

From F1’s VIP Paddock Club to Red Bull’s Energy Station hospitality and finally the fan forum, Ricciardo packs a lot into a couple of hours. All the way, he is flanked by security guards to keep the path clear, a tough challenge at times. To quote one: “I feel like it’s Christmas — everyone wants a piece of him!” Cameras from “Drive to Survive” are also along for the ride; expect Ricciardo to feature in season six when it drops next spring.

The cheers that go up when Ricciardo meets his biggest audience at the fan forum are huge. The crowd comfortably stands at a couple of thousand, all to see a driver who isn’t even racing. Some have waited all day to get a spot at the front of the barriers. Ricciardo revels in the warmth they show, kicking some signed Aussie Rules footballs into the crowd and answering their questions. He finishes by taking a selfie that will later be featured on his Instagram page.

No bigger cheer goes up than when the emcee asks the crowd if they want to see Ricciardo racing in Melbourne next year. Even with a new Australian on the grid in McLaren’s Oscar Piastri, Ricciardo is the big fan draw. As Horner puts it: “Even though he’s not driving, he’s still probably the most popular driver here.”

The fan reaction amuses Ricciardo. “It was like I was still racing,” he says. “People were even yelling out like, ‘Good luck’ and stuff, and I was like ‘… All right, maybe I’ll tell them I’m not racing?’”

But he did have to go through a few steps just in case he did need to race. As a reserve driver, Ricciardo had to be prepared in case either Verstappen or Pérez were ruled out. A rare occurrence, but an important one to cover off.

It meant Ricciardo had to don a race suit and get in the Red Bull RB19 car in the garage to complete a seat fitting, the lining of the cockpit being molded to fit each driver’s body. He took part in the drivers’ briefing with the rest of the grid, essentially a pre-event meeting with the race officials. Ricciardo welcomed the chance to “talk a bit of s—” with the drivers he’d been going wheel-to-wheel with for years. He’d missed the camaraderie. “There were a few warm welcomes,” he says. “Lando and I gave each other a bit of a hug, so that was nice. Carlos (Sainz) and Charles (Leclerc) too. Maybe they miss me!”

He had slipped seamlessly back into the F1 world, so much so that Horner doubted Ricciardo would need much coaxing into the car if he had to race: “I’d say he’s about 10 minutes away from being ready.”

Australia was always going to give Ricciardo a good read of whether he wanted to chase a return. It was also why he was so set on throwing himself into as much as possible over the race weekend.

“I’m trying to put myself in the mindset of, if I was competing, how would I feel? Where’s my energy at?” he says. “I want all those answers now so I can get into next year with a clear plan.”

Ricciardo isn’t fully committed just yet to pursuing a racing comeback. “I’m glad I’m not foaming at the mouth, because then I’d probably be questioning s—. ‘Should I have taken the year off?’” he says. “But it is brewing.”

Come the start of summer, when teams begin to give serious thought to who might race for them next year, Ricciardo will know for sure what way he’s leaning. His availability on the driver market would certainly pique interest. Alpine boss Otmar Szafnauer calls him “a fantastic racing driver” and said he “wouldn’t be surprised” to see Ricciardo back on the grid. Guenther Steiner, the Haas team principal, thinks “everybody will want to speak with Danny after a year off.” Even Brown, who was involved in the call to ax Ricciardo from McLaren, says: “We’d all love to see him back on the grid on a regular basis.”

But if Ricciardo does want a comeback, it won’t be at all costs. He’s not interested in racing just to race. He wants to be a front-runner again.

The competitive nature of F1 means only a few teams would make that viable. Red Bull and Ferrari have their lineups locked in for the next two years; Mercedes also looks like a closed door as it focuses on renewing Lewis Hamilton’s contract. There’s no obvious route for Ricciardo to slip back into a top team. And that’s before even considering whether one would take him on.

Thanks to his current timeout and the chance to reflect on where things went wrong, Ricciardo is confident that if a team were to want him, it would be getting a stronger, hungrier and, importantly, wiser version of an established race winner.

As bruising as the McLaren experience was, it taught Ricciardo a lot about himself. “I don’t want to say I got humbled, because that’s probably too dramatic,” he says. “I didn’t have my head up my a—. But in a way, I got humbled, and I did realize that OK, I’m not perfect.”

It’s a humility that Ricciardo is sure would only serve him well should he return. “If I was to get back on the grid, of course the hunger would be filled to the top,” he says. “But it wouldn’t be coming from a place where my ego or pride is getting in the way. It’s accepting that it’s not always going to be perfect. It’s just a reality of life.”

Regardless of the version of Ricciardo that comes back to race in F1, be it in 2024, or 2025, or maybe never, the Daniel of now is happy again; especially important for a man known for having a permanent grin on his face. His friends are quick to tell him he looks lighter and happier now than through the rottenness of 2022. “I feel it,” Ricciardo says. “But when other people that know me well recognize it, I guess it’s true.”

Sport can be cruel, particularly in a world like F1, where so many factors contribute to a driver’s performance. Yet with a bit of distance and time to reflect, Ricciardo has been finding a way to rebuild himself. The confidence is back. So is the smile.

All Daniel Ricciardo needs is a quick car. He’ll do the rest.

(Photo illustration: John Bradford / The Athletic; Photos: Gongora/NurPhoto)

Get all-access to exclusive stories.

Subscribe to The Athletic for in-depth coverage of your favorite players, teams, leagues and clubs. Try a week on us.

Start Free Trial

Luke Smith
Luke Smith is a Senior Writer covering Formula 1 for The Athletic. Luke has spent 10 years reporting on Formula 1 for outlets including Autosport, The New York Times and NBC Sports, and is also a published author. He is a graduate of University College London. Follow Luke on Twitter @LukeSmithF1

https://theathletic.com/444868...cciardo-f1-red-bull/

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Saw Toto bellyaching after about what a boring race it was, too much of a procession with two cars driving off into the sunset.

How, pray tell, can that man actually walk around the paddock with balls that fucking big???

I'm sure if it was his two Mercs driving off into the sunset it wouldn't bother him in the least. Whiner.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
And, I've read that some teams think RBR is actually holding back their true pace. Rumor/conjecture, but given their early dominance, maybe believable.

Heard and read that, but I think that is highly unlikely given the order last week. There is almost zero chance MV isn't getting after SP if he had more pace. I don't even think he would listen to the team if they tried to keep him dialed back.

ccrrkkkkkkkkRADIObzxxxxxTROUBLES!cccppppsss

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RE Alfa's lack of pace.
They mentioned in Miami FP1 that it's a fairly short wheelbase car & that was how they've kept the weight down, but disadvantages them on high speed stability.
I think Bottas getting tagged in the rear, lap 1, at Baku must've resulted in floor/diffuser damage & resulting pace loss.
Glad to see them back in the midfield in FP1.

Mercedes sure pulled it out of their hat at the very end of FP1. They were running at the rear most of the session.

The Williams has always been a slippery car & fast in a straight line, so it made them tough to pass. Catch them up in the turns, then not have the pace to overtake them on the straights, and the resulting DRS trains follow.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’m more than ready to see the cars back on a traditional road circuit.
Enough with the painted lines everywhere and a track designed around a city landscape.

Nice to see Norris show some pace today and the Merc’s seemed to have something, even if the second practice didn’t show much.
Long run pace was hard to judge on the new surface today.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Imola next, so we have that to look forward to, followed by 8 more rounds [and Monaco] on proper tracks, then Singapore which I'm OK with as it's usually a good race.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Leclerc, in spite of his speed, seems to be a slow learner.
He already knows that the Ferrari is likely to go through it's tires more quickly than several others.
Seems to be more important to get up around the front and then go off strategy somehow. So instead he throws it out there taking a huge risk trying to get pole when that's not all that important to the bigger picture.
Add to that, he does it in the same place where he crashed out the day before.

Hard to know how easy passing will be at this point or predict tire wear and it could also have some rain. Could be a great opportunity for Alonso too although his car lacks great top speed here.
Should be interesting unless Max gets through the pack too early.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just finished quali, that was a high speed spin.
Glad to see VB into Q3, bummer he didn't put in a time to start higher than 10th.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
So does Red Bull clinch the Constructor Championship by Spa?

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Pretty much a by-the-book race, kinda ok.
For the most part on that track, the cars look fast and that's always good.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alonso has his mojo back now that he has a competitive car. The smile is back also. The owner's son is getting quite a lesson in how it is done with an identical car.

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RBR could have tried a little harder to make it look not so easy to win from 9th.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
A menu from one of your choices at the Miami GP for those needing to be reminded there's a pecking order.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post