SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
^^^ There was a neat documentary about how DHL moves F1 around the globe. They have multiple sets of everything, so the car they drive in Vegas won't be the car they drive in Abu Dhabi.
It's worth a watch if you can find it.

I'm sure people paid much more than me have analyzed the calendar & figured out the reasoning for jumping all over the globe in the order presented.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
^^^ There was a neat documentary about how DHL moves F1 around the globe. They have multiple sets of everything, so the car they drive in Vegas won't be the car they drive in Abu Dhabi.

I'm sure people paid much more than me have analyzed the calendar & figured out the reasoning for jumping all over the globe in the order presented.

I have a feeling that a lot of the contacts with specific venues are tied to specific dates, so the FIA can’t just rearrange the schedule to make more logistical sense without redoing a lot of negotiations.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
exactly, given the cost of tickets, hotels, vendors and everything else tied up to a date, moving one day can be a nightmare

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Was looking at Hotels in Vegas for the November 2023 date, either blocked or booked at the first 20 hotels I checked. I'm afraid of going too far out and have parking become the issue.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Was looking at Hotels in Vegas for the November 2023 date, either blocked or booked at the first 20 hotels I checked. I'm afraid of going too far out and have parking become the issue.

Makes me glad my mom lives just 45 min north of town.
When I mentioned the possibility of going next year, she recommended Southpoint, but they're a rodeo family & that's their go-to place to stay when they have to be in Vegas overnight.

Worst case, I could crash at their house, find somewhere reasonable to park (maybe my stepdad's office) and Uber in to the 'track'

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
This short was done in 2018, but it goes into how they plan the europe and 'fly away' races.

This is a newer one that discusses the changes they did with DHL to manage Covid,

F1 doesnt allow this video to be embedded. The Incredible Logistics

I think this is the documentary that XD45Man referenced:

Now the "Algorithm" thinks I am interested so it is 'finding' videos for me to watch rather than get work done.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Latifi Out at Williams after 22

quote:
Williams have announced that Nicholas Latifi will leave the team at the end of 2022 – when his current contract expires – after three seasons with the Grove squad.

Following several free practice outings, Williams handed Latifi his F1 race debut in 2020 – the Canadian making 55 starts and scoring seven points to date. And on Friday, Williams announced that the season finale in Abu Dhabi would be his last race with the team.

Ricciardo or DeVries into the seat?

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

What channel? Know the name? Would love to see that.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Latifi Out at Williams after 22

quote:
Williams have announced that Nicholas Latifi will leave the team at the end of 2022 – when his current contract expires – after three seasons with the Grove squad.

Following several free practice outings, Williams handed Latifi his F1 race debut in 2020 – the Canadian making 55 starts and scoring seven points to date. And on Friday, Williams announced that the season finale in Abu Dhabi would be his last race with the team.

DeVries is their first option. Even if they can’t get him, I think it will be someone else before Ricciardo.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

What channel? Know the name? Would love to see that.

One thing I learned that I didnt know. The cars are completely torn down and then re-assembled on site. I mean not just wheels and tires, but the motor, trans, all of it. I mean it makes a type of sense but dang. It is just not something I ever thought about. I used to go to Texas Motor Speedway on the days when the semi would arrive to watch all the NASCAR trucks arrive.
I still cant really wrap my mind around how they setup a three story building and tear it down so fast.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

DeVries now has people fighting over him. He might end up at AlphaTauri so Gasly can go to Alpine.

I don’t see anyone wanting Ricciardo for as much as he wants. He’s got the smell of death that Jacques Villeneuve had at the end of his career minus the accompanying douche bag.

It also makes me wonder if Red Bull would take a swing putting him in an AlphaTauri for one year to see if he still has it.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, DR just hasn't had it since leaving RBR. The RB suited him well, and I get why he left.
Hate to see him lose a seat on the grid, even if it's in the less competitive Williams. Coming back into the RB fold with AlphaTuari would be interesting.

Definitely thinking DeVries is the preferred driver. Younger, came out the gate with an impressive performance.
Granted, I'd think Monza is one of the easier tracks to deputize, but still a feat. Shown with how much trouble had getting out of the car post-race.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Albon is still iffy at Singapore due to his medical issue so maybe DeVries gets another chance on a completely different type of track.
A good showing there could do him a lot of good and answer some questions for doubters.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Motorsport is now confirming Colton Herta won’t get an exception. The plus side is enough people in the right places are thinking the Superlicense points need a revamp that IndyCar could get a revamp.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
DR just hasn't had it since leaving RBR. The RB suited him well, and I get why he left

I understand he had an offer to be the Reserve Driver for Mercedes...I don't know if he rejected it outright or just pushed it to the back burner

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
McLaren Livery for Singapore/Japan

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Albon will be driving Friday practice at Singapore to see if he can do the race weekend.

https://racer.com/2022/09/29/a...eturn-for-singapore/

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Albon will be driving Friday practice at Singapore to see if he can do the race weekend.

https://racer.com/2022/09/29/a...eturn-for-singapore/

With deVries on standby, in case Albon is not up to speed. Especially with how exhausting/draining Marina Bay can be.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Finished FP1 and FP2. No real surprises on the leaderboard, but the gobsmacker for me was FP1 was ran 100% in daylight. I’ve never seen the Singapore track at daylight. I was getting lost and I know the track fairly well.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Finished FP1 and FP2. No real surprises on the leaderboard, but the gobsmacker for me was FP1 was ran 100% in daylight. I’ve never seen the Singapore track at daylight. I was getting lost and I know the track fairly well.

Agreed, I'm midway through FP2 now.
Bottas probably the only surprise in the top 10. Glad to see him getting some pace out of the Alfa again. Just have to hope nothing blows up, they don't need any more mechanical DNFs.
McLarens lower than expected.

FP1 in the daytime, I briefly thought I was looking at Miami.