SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 ... 228
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Toto also said he was at full lock. Realize that track doesn’t require a Monaco steering setup but it didn’t look like this was true. ??

IIRC, it was around 90* of R input. Would have to watch some full lap onboards to see if they are going beyond that during the lap.

Edit: Just watched Bottas' pole lap & T3 was the only turn that he went beyond 90* input. So possible that Lewis shouldn't have been maxed out on steering in T4.

Edit 2: Watched the onboard from Hamilton & it looks like he wasn't at full lock, unless they're running a different steering rack to Bottas.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBgQw5OecA

Bottas pole for comparison

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeHcml_DhdM

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
No doubt his (Hamiltons) tires were at the end of their useful life (Bottas tires were one lap old/new) and he may have had power on exit understeer but that's controlled by your right foot. If steering input doesn't put you where you want, there's only one other option.
Albon's rear tire was at Lewis' front and it wasn't a sudden leap forward, meaning he was in his sight and then clearly ahead. By not lifting he was going to plow into him and that's exactly what he did.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Good point on the tire age. Like you said though, Albon was in full sight & Lew stayed on it. Avoidable.

Great race, though. If it's any indication, it'll be a fun season.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Toto also said he was at full lock. Realize that track doesn’t require a Monaco steering setup but it didn’t look like this was true. ??

Slossgold corner is not a tight as Remus (120 degrees), but is tight and unwinds with a negative camber to the outside of the track. The onboard with all drivers showed them at their limit in Remus, and near limit on Slossgold, but again, steering is a combination of wheel turn, speed, acceleration and road camber.

Edit to add - in the first video posted by p250ua5, at 26 seconds, you see Lewis look to the left before looking back, and can hear him giving it throttle while in 3rd gear (which looked to be the same gear all afternoon).

The Race youtube channel had a breakdown, and one commentator said Albon had room to move further to the left, to which somebody referred to FIA regs that say "If the driver on the inside is behind at corner exit, they must leave space for the driver on the outside." It sounds pretty cut a dry to me. Was Albon pretty bitchy about it - yeah sure, but wouldn't you be as well if there was a great chance to win the race, and you were bumped off course and finished outside the points?

I had a conversation about it with my dad, who is a big Hammy fan, and I pointed out that Lewis was on 15+ lap old tires, harder compound, had Albon pulled alongside in Remus, and he knew that Albon had pitted (meaning he knew he had new tires). Now, I'm not saying give up the position, and I'm not saying albon could not have pulled it off at another place (those are another argument), but given the facts that Lewis knew, it seemed shortsighted to not give him space.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Unrelated to the race, really, but I'm liking the SF1000 livery.
Never liked the MW livery & the plain engine cover & rear wing is a win for me.

posted Hide Post
'We have to respond immediately' – Ferrari aiming to bring big update to Austria ahead of schedule.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...BalMXfvWjy9Z3Wu.html

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see them more competetive but the engine also seems to have taken a step or two back compared to the others.
All three Ferrari powered teams struggled and unless they all are using some Ferrari aero stuff, that indicates power may be a big part of the problem.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I'd like to see them more competetive but the engine also seems to have taken a step or two back compared to the others.
All three Ferrari powered teams struggled and unless they all are using some Ferrari aero stuff, that indicates power may be a big part of the problem.

I believe after the technical addendum on fuel flow rate sensor in the early fall of 2019, their performance quickly fell off. Keep in mind their customer teams using their engines did not suffer the same performance fall-off Ferrari did. Not saying they were cheating, but maybe they pushed the rules to the edge, and dialed it back when they were offered "clarification" by the FIA.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/n...mid-ferrari-intrigue

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2...ms-cheating-in-2020/

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unrelated to the race, really, but I'm liking the SF1000 livery.

You catch the comment that the flat/frosted finishes are being used now because they are more aerodynamically efficient? That was interesting to me. Makes you wonder if it's not about being "slick" but about the slightly less smooth surface reducing surface tension with the air?

Didn't take fluid dynamics in business school, maybe one of our engineers will be along..... Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like the rumors were true - Alonso to Renault
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53325412

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alonso to Renault

That would be awesome.
And WTH is he still using Flavio as advisor for? Didn’t realize that.

Posts: 12399 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:

I believe after the technical addendum on fuel flow rate sensor in the early fall of 2019, their performance quickly fell off. Keep in mind their customer teams using their engines did not suffer the same performance fall-off Ferrari did. Not saying they were cheating, but maybe they pushed the rules to the edge, and dialed it back when they were offered "clarification" by the FIA.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/n...mid-ferrari-intrigue

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2...ms-cheating-in-2020/

I think the current Ferrari engine is even less powerful than the one in the second half of last year, after the “clarification”. I’m betting that the settlement from the FIA required them to stop doing other things too. I wouldn’t be surprised that the settlement has a clause that if there were any more breaches of engine regulations for the next year or two, that all of Ferrari’s results from 2019 onward would be thrown out.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Alonso’s back again.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/stor...turn-f1-renault-2021

I guess like the bad penny, they can’t get rid of him. He’s a great driver, but he’s even more of an egotist than Hammy. Wonder who he’s going to throw under the bus this time?

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

You catch the comment that the flat/frosted finishes are being used now because they are more aerodynamically efficient? That was interesting to me. Makes you wonder if it's not about being "slick" but about the slightly less smooth surface reducing surface tension with the air?

Didn't take fluid dynamics in business school, maybe one of our engineers will be along..... Razz

Not an engineer but maybe not unrelated to a golf ball. Smooth ball, no; dimpled, controlled and improved flight?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Alonso deal was more than just a rumor.
I hope they can provide him with the car and team he needs to be more than just a number. Too early to tell based on just one race this year but they look to be an improvement based on one race. How well they keep up on the development race will also be important.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Ocon has a chance to really prove himself. Even with their egos I suspect his pucker factor is high right now tho.....

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ocon has a chance to really prove himself. Even with their egos I suspect his pucker factor is high right now tho.....

Ocon seemed to be a little rusty last weekend which is understandable. We've only seen him stacked up against Perez so far and he slowly seemed to outpace him as the season went on.
Now we'll get a better look at him after a few races but Ricciardo spanked him in the first event.
The question with Alonso isn't his skill level but whether he is rusty with the time off and is he aging out yet. We'll see but not for another year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ocon seemed to be a little rusty last weekend which is understandable. We've only seen him stacked up against Perez so far and he slowly seemed to outpace him as the season went on.
Now we'll get a better look at him after a few races but Ricciardo spanked him in the first event.
The question with Alonso isn't his skill level but whether he is rusty with the time off and is he aging out yet. We'll see but not for another year.

The last thing I want to see out of a proven racer is another Michael Schumacher 2.0 - talk about disappointing.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Unless Renault is able to get him in for some FP1 sessions. Not sure what the specifics regs are for test drivers & mid-season additions.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Unless Renault is able to get him in for some FP1 sessions. Not sure what the specifics regs are for test drivers & mid-season additions.

Well, that's a no.

https://www.formula1.com/en/la...4asjLxKTcjMZ3UC.html

quote:

By the time Fernando Alonso makes his Formula 1 comeback next year with Renault, it will be more than two years since he left the sport – but his new boss Cyril Abiteboul says there are no plans for the Spaniard to run in any Grand Prix weekend practice sessions this season to help him get back up to speed with F1 machinery.

The Anglo-French team announced on Wednesday that Alonso would be returning to Grand Prix racing in 2021 with the team he won both his world championship titles in 2005 and 2006 with.

The 38-year-old left F1 in 2018 after a disappointing four-year stint with McLaren, and has since been racing in the World Endurance Championship – where he has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans twice – as well as various other series and events.

In previous years, Alonso could have held a private test in order to acquaint himself with the current generation of F1 cars before his comeback, but that is no longer allowed under the rules, meaning his only chance of driving a 2020-spec car is in the Friday FP1 sessions at Grands Prix weekends – but Abiteboul says there are no plans for him to do this.

“I don't think he needs an FP1 to get familiar with the procedures in a Formula 1 car,” Abiteboul said. “I don't think he needs that. That's not the plan.”

But the Renault chief did say they might explore giving Alonso some miles in an older car, which is allowed under the rules.

“We'll see if there is any obvious opportunity,” he said. “We have always the possibility of running him in a 2018 car. To confirm, we don't have any firm plan.

“He will at some point get into our factories to get to meet the team. He knows some members of the staff, some people are new. I think it's a great opportunity that he has some time in advance of next year to get familiar with the team, the way that we're working, and also let's be clear, he will be a boost for the staff motivation.

“A lot of the people who have joined, in particular Enstone, were maybe students or at school when Fernando won his first title with us, so for them to be exposed to who he is and his culture for performance and winning is something that can come from Fernando, so we will clearly try to take the opportunity of what he can bring to the team. But no, as far as FP1's concerned, I don't think it's a necessary investment.”