SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Was able to score a couple new ones yesterday, Midwinters Night Dram Act 9, Scene 4, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C921, Hancock’ Reserve and Stagg Jr batch 17. starting with the ECBP C921 tonight, but will probably try the latest Stagg Jr next. It’s my favorite, so I’ll be on the hunt for some backups.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
That is a good day right there.

Please let us know how you like the Stagg Jr.

The C921 and Stagg Jr. are on my wish list.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Not sure how I’ve missed this thread, but I’m glad I found it!

Definitely new to the bourbon experience. In my younger days it was always Jack Danials or Jim Beam. I received a bottle of 1792 last year as a gift, and realized there is a difference, lol. Since then I have bought a few bottles, based more or less on the look of the bottle, and the price. Weller Special Reserve is definitely my favorite! As others have said, it’s not in abundance locally.

I’ve read the last 10 or so pages of the thread looking for suggestions and knowledge, and looks like I may need to start at the beginning!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pepsi- back out now while you still can! Wink stick with the Jack and Jim!
This is one of those threads that get expensive after a while!

You will buy a Glock
A revival of the watch thread
Bourbon Bonanza

Probably the top 3
But like they say- Ya can't take it with you!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PepsiBlue did good with the 1792......so add in some Elijah Craig, and Knob Creek.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Local shop has 3 bottles of ECBP on the shelf for $80. I passed as I've never really had any EC offering that I really liked.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Being “new” to bourbon I don’t feel constrained by rules or tradition. While I’m ok drinking it straight, I preferred cold mixed drinks for the most part. Has about 1 shot left in an old bottle of JD so decided to be creative and try something out tonight, say what you will but I liked it.

1.5 oz Jack Daniels, 1.5 oz Grand Marnier, 12 oz Ginger Ale over ice.

Found it tasty and refreshing. Did a search and didn’t find anything using that combination, so it just might be an original.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Nasty. Big Grin

But suit yourself.

Ice, water, or nothing, please.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Being “new” to bourbon I don’t feel constrained by rules or tradition. While I’m ok drinking it straight, I preferred cold mixed drinks for the most part. Has about 1 shot left in an old bottle of JD so decided to be creative and try something out tonight, say what you will but I liked it.

Found it tasty and refreshing. Did a search and didn’t find anything using that combination, so it just might be an original.

I am on-call this evening, until midnight. at 12:01 tomorrow morning, I am going to try your drink.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well, Heaven Hill the Distillery stuck their foot in their mouth. Vote with your wallet...

I will avoid buying their product for at least a year now, in response to this bullshit. Maybe more. I will let them know why via email, too.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...780050784#6780050784

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:

I am on-call this evening, until midnight. at 12:01 tomorrow morning, I am going to try your drink.

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

If you like Apple Cider-
Glass of Apple Cider
Shot of Bourbon
1 teaspoon of Maple Syrup
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Add ice and stir well.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Please let us know how you like the Stagg Jr.

The C921 and Stagg Jr. are on my wish list.

Hey Steve-

Stagg Jr. is one of my all-time favorites, and I try to get as many bottles as possible. I wish I could just order online from BT and get 6 bottles of each batch every year, I likely wouldn't drink anything else!

Batch 17 is good, like barely catch any of the alcohol burn on the nose. Not as sweet as batch 15, a little more depth than 16, but not as classic as batch 14, which is my favorite to date. Unfortunately, I only have 3/4 bottle of the 14 left.

You probably don't want to hear it, but I had an even better day this morning, grabbing 2 more Stagg Jr., 2 more MWND, and the icing on the cake, my local store had a JD Coy Hill (Hazmat) and EHT Single Barrel, so they had to come home with me. Big Grin

Friday and Saturday is going to be crazy, here's hoping I can land a few more off my list.

I'm jealous of you in the fact the only Weller we can *sometimes* find is 107 & rarer 12. I've never seen the Single Barrel, Barrel Proof, CYPB in the wild, we don't even get the Special Reserve in the state. We don't get Heaven Hill 7 year BiB either. Lots of ECBP C921 floating around this past week, I've been leaving it on the shelves as I liked the A121 batch a lot better.

Booker's Batch 4 (2021-04), Larceny BP C921 are pretty high on my list once they come out. Rock Hill Farms and Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bonds too. Idaho only got a few bottles of the Blanton's Straight from the Barrel and it and the Gold are on my list as well. We do a lottery for the BTAC stuff, hope I can get drawn this year!

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the review. This is one I will probably have to try at a local watering hole, or be in the right place at the right time.

There has been some Stagg JR. locally the past few weeks, but most bottles appear to be held for regular customers of those stores.

The only Weller we get regularly in Ohio is Antique 107 and Special Reserve. There is almost always Special Reserve. the other Wellers are raffled by the State of Ohio.

The ECPB 921 is also highly sought here.

There was some Caribou Crossing across the river in KY yesterday. Also some ER, EHTBP and Blantons.

Good luck with your hunt tomorrow and Saturday for Stagg Jr. Color me green with envy.

Enjoy!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Looking forward to hearing what you think!

After looking for our bottle of Grand Marnier for 30 minutes, I gave up. I know we had an unopened bottle, b/c I never use it.

I will get a bottle tomorrow and post a report.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I decided to go out today browsing a few of the liquor stores in the area. Bardstown is somewhat local, so after fighting a mad crowd at Kentucky Gun Co, I made my way to the liquor stores. Bearing in mind I am a noob,I learned a few things today, that’s for sure. I went to three different establishments,and all three had different inventories and selection . That really did not surprise me, but the difference in pricing definitely did. One store even had a sign on the door that said if you could find the in demand items cheaper somewhere else, go there, lol.

I picked up a bottle of my favorite (so far)Weller Special Reserve yesterday for $40. That is the cheapest that I have ever seen it, and I was pretty excited. Today I saw it for $69 and $75.

Weller 107 red label was $100, $129 and $149

Blanton was $149, and $249

Eagle Rare was $49 for the small bottle and $99 for the regular size at one stop, and $99 at another.

One stop had Elmer T Lee for $450…..Possibly a limited run, I have no idea

McKenna 10 year? was $65, and $89

I had a guy recommend an Augusta Buckner that was supposed to be hard to come by, but it was $229, so I passed. He also had some Buffalo Trace that was “their barrel” for $49….

I ended up getting the Weller yesterday and an Eagle Rare today. Looking forward to next weekend already!

I was mostly just window shopping today, trying to get a handle on pricing, but it seems to be all over the place. If anybody wants to chime in with pricing in their area, or anything that on my list that they would recommend I would appreciate it!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I was mostly just window shopping today, trying to get a handle on pricing, but it seems to be all over the place. If anybody wants to chime in with pricing in their area, or anything that on my list that they would recommend I would appreciate it!

Pricing as you’ve found out is highly variable depending on the store in non control states. The best way to figure out what you should pay in your area is to keep a list of prices you see locally and compare to MSRP which can be tricky to find but is generally what control state stores sell for. The Oregon liquor board has a website as fo other states. You can also use websites of stores in your state for info. Decide how much over MSRP is reasonable to you keeping in mind that many of the allocated sought after bottles you might read about will be on shelves for multiples of MSRP.

Weller 107, Blanton’s, and Eagle Rare are priced higher than you should pay. MSRP is closer to $40, $60, and $35 respectively.

Elmer is a $40 bottle you’ll never see for that price.

McKenna 10 is around $60.

BT is $25-$30. A surcharge for a store pick might be defendable but I wouldn’t pay it.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:

Pricing as you’ve found out is highly variable depending on the store in non control states. The best way to figure out what you should pay in your area is to keep a list of prices you see locally and compare to MSRP which can be tricky to find but is generally what control state stores sell for. The Oregon liquor board has a website as fo other states. You can also use websites of stores in your state for info. Decide how much over MSRP is reasonable to you keeping in mind that many of the allocated sought after bottles you might read about will be on shelves for multiples of MSRP.

Weller 107, Blanton’s, and Eagle Rare are priced higher than you should pay. MSRP is closer to $40, $60, and $35 respectively.

Elmer is a $40 bottle you’ll never see for that price.

McKenna 10 is around $60.

BT is $25-$30. A surcharge for a store pick might be defendable but I wouldn’t pay it.

VA is a control state, and the VA ABC website has both pricing, and inventory by location as well,

I know someone in Utah that recently paid $169 for a bottle of Blantons, and it was on sale at a discount place,

it is much much less here, but it has also been out of stock for ages,
ditto Buff Trace,

they did do a release of some Weller product last week,
24 bottles per store (IIRC from the email sent out) and tickets were given out lotto style at the stores,

I don't recall pricing, but in the past (and it may be noted in this long thread somewhere) they are typically high

funny thing about the Va ABC site,
each time I find a bottle in stock that I am looking for, it ends up 3+ hrs away,,,,
so I do with out

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
My smokin' hot Wife is the best. A whiskey Advent Calendar Big Grin

No she doesn't have any sisters

Flaviar Advent Calendar

Around the Whiskyverse in 24 days.

Embark on an interstellar Christmas Odyssey through the Cosmos of Whiskies and go where your taste buds haven’t been before with the 2021 Flaviar Advent Calendar. 24 vials of 45 ml will take you to another Whisky planet each day of the Advent, and you might find a new favorite among the Bourbons, Rye Whiskeys, the drams from Scotland and Ireland, Single Malts from Israel and Taiwan, and others. This journey covers all styles and origins on the map. That’s twenty-four small steps for your palate, one giant leap for your Spirits-tasting journey!

WHAT’S INSIDE:

24 samples of premium Whiskeys (45 ml each)
Glencairn glass
Concrete coaster
Booklet with notes

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty cool!!

Across the border into Indiana yesterday to do some Christmas shopping, and also googled up 8-10 liquor stores along the way. Did not see anything super exciting, but still enjoyable.
Only saw a couple of things worth mentioning.

No Weller of any kind.

Arc.
___