SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
My guy said they flooded GA with it for some reason, I'm up to 8 bottles now because it will disappear soon. Some of them will be Christmas gifts for my good clients. It's $40 here

I was in Atlanta last week and was going to do some hunting but my job ran long and I wanted to GTFO so I didnt have any free time to look. I may be passing through in a few weeks and if so i'll be on the prowl.

Good on you for stacking it deep, its a great value and a pain when supply is low.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Just got picked for the first time in the State drawing for "High Demand Products". Got a bottle of W.L. Weller Single Barrel for $50. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but that's what I got.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's unobtanium here, what high demand products did you put in for? Or is UT just toss your name in the hat and you could be drawn for one of these?

Idaho's lottery hasn't been too good lately, here's hoping I get drawn for something this year. Stagg Jr. is making the rounds through the state and some other good drops here lately.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
Wow, that's unobtanium here, what high demand products did you put in for? Or is UT just toss your name in the hat and you could be drawn for one of these?

The most current drawing was for 4 different Weller's.

You can pick and choose what drawings you enter. The site gives you the price and how many bottles of each will be available. I've entered maybe 5 drawing since I moved here, first time I've been drawn.

For the Single Barrel bottle drawing there were 67 bottles available and 2,318 entries, so a 2.89% chance of winning.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Weller bottle with that label before.

Cool. I bet it's good, if you like wheaters like I and many do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

It's the needless expansion of the Weller line in the name of creating more hype. Did we really need Weller Single Barrel when there was a robust OWA single barrel program? Same with Full Proof.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm finally starting to appreciate the bottle of single barrel Larceny that I got - my first bourbon.

I now know how much to cut it with filtered water to enjoy a mild yet flavorful and sweet shot. I'll keep trying and experimenting. But I'm starting to look forward to my second bottle.

There's a lot of bottles on the shelf, including BT and ER that you guys have suggested. But also many bottles that you guys haven't mentioned (but pricey)....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
quote:

It's the needless expansion of the Weller line in the name of creating more hype. Did we really need Weller Single Barrel when there was a robust OWA single barrel program? Same with Full Proof.

Ah.

I miss the regularly available 7/107 (with the age statement), and the old Centennial.

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
In July, we had dinner at Arcadia Bluffs. This was the drink on the menu I wanted, as the other offerings I can get most anywhere. They had run out of it and I had Woodford Reserve instead.

My Daughter bought me a sample pack of TC offerings for my birthday.

I enjoy mine over ice. Not too strong or overpowering, with a hint of cherry.

I do like it and will be buying a larger bottle for my bar.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Making an effort to become a Bourbon aficionado. Not much experience other than Early Times, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels in mixed drinks. Have Southern Comfort and Fireball on hand and was recently given a bottle of Skrewball Peanutbutter Whiskey which was surprisingly good. I had seen it in stores and thought it sounded odd, but interestingly smooth, sweet, and salty.

So far I have tried Bulliet (liked it), Knob Creek (too harsh), and tonight was Woodford Reserve. I liked the WR as well. Have 50ml bottles of Buffalo Trace and Maker’s Mark to try as well.

Planning on buying 3-4 bottles to start, contenders at this point are:

Four Roses Small Batch
Angel’s Envy
Elijah Craig Small Batch
Eagle Rare

Those four I have not been able to find sampler bottles of but seem to be well regarded.

In the running from what I’ve been able to sample:

Bulliet
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace (taste test pending)
Makers Mark (taste test pending)

Would love to hear thoughts on these as they are available and in the price range I am looking at ($30-$45 bottle locally)

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I like Woodford (Bourbon and Rye). One thing I like is that it's all they make, just a couple of expressions. Consistent focus on a quality product. Unpretentious. And the unique bottle shape is a bit fun.

I also like Four Roses (Yellow, Small Batch, and Single Barrel). The Small Batch is my least favorite, but it's not bad or anything, I simply prefer their others. Four Roses is a "High Rye" Bourbon, fwiw, a touch "spicier" it's often said.

Buffalo Trace, the Bourbon not the Distillery, is another unpretentious offering that is good, consistent, and widely available. Hard to complain, really. I don't buy it often, but it's never bad, much better than Jack Daniels or something, imo. It's very much Middle Shelf, technically, but it's sort of my bottom shelf if that makes sense, wouldn't care if a friend or house guest kills a bottle or mixes it with Diet Pepsi or something gross, it's just good normal Bourbon.

Bulleit is good, as well, the Bourbon and Rye. I like their 10yo Bourbon best. Bulleit is another "High Rye" Bourbon. Four Roses (the Distillery) used to make Bulleit the whiskey for Bulleit...

I don't mess with Angel's Envy at all, primarily because it's not really Bourbon anymore and I don't need shit added to my whiskey. Overmarketed, unnecessary, bullshit, to me, but I'm well on the way to being a snob about these things for sure. IIRC, Aeteocles likes Angel's Envy a lot.

Maker's Mark is good, albeit a touch overhyped and overmarketed, a "Wheater" Bourbon - like Weller and Van Winkle and a couple of other less relevant options. A touch "smoother" and "sweeter" than a High Rye Bourbon or even regular ("Low Rye", which is a term no one uses) Bourbon. I like the Barrel Strength expression best, and prefer Weller and Van Winkle, but Maker's Mark is fine, and good in general.

Elijah Craig is good, probably Heaven Hill's best offerings. I especially like the 12yr Barrel Strength expression but the regular EC is good, and the EC18 is too woody for me and just not worth it.

Personally, I have a weird relationship with Eagle Rare. Every few years I'll have some, and will think it's great for a day or two, then get bored with it real quick. I don't understand why, but I just quit buying it because it doesn't excite me. It's pretty well loved, however, but I like others much better. IIRC, it's the same juice as Buffalo Trace, just older and from another somehow better area of the aging warehouses.

Hope that helps. Enjoy.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input 46and2, went to two more stores today looking for sampler bottles of ones I was considering, but none to be found.

I’ve been reading reviews on different sites for Bourbons available in my area and settled on two bottles to quit procrastinating and make a decision. Picked up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch and Woodinville Straight Bourbon, a local craft offering that seems to be getting good reviews. It has been compared to Blanton’s which seems to be well liked in this thread.

I almost popped for Kirkland Brand Premium Small Batch, but the higher proof and comparisons to Knob Creek scared me away. Not a fan of the higher proof and burn that accompanies it. I did a Knob Creek sampler and it was a bit too harsh for me.

I plan on getting two more bottles, not exactly sure what they will be yet. Pretty sure one will be Buffalo Trace, I’ll be sampling it shortly to confirm. Then the wait begins as it is just not available locally right now. I may opt for Eagle Rare instead, supposedly same mash bill but aged longer (and more $$). Would like to have some variety, no point in having greatly similar offerings.

Looking forward to the Makers Mark to see the difference between a “wheater” and those that are more rye.

Angel’s Envy is off the list, reviews talk a lot about spiciness and I am not sure about it being finished in a port barrel. Don’t want to drop the coin on it without rating it first.

Here is today’s haul…

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That's cool. Enjoy those.

As a maybe useful side note:

I have a general problem with "mystery whiskey", which is my loose term for any whiskey sold without an entirely clear provenance regarding which physical Distillery made it, when, sometimes how old it really is, and what the mash is, as there is generally no reason to withhold these things if the whiskey is really that good (it usually isn't).

Often sold by 3rd Party bottlers/"Distilleries" that don't really exist. A related joke regarding Noah's Mill Bourbon is: "they're ain't no Noah and there ain't no Mill...", it's pure b.s. to sell whiskey, to sound ligit and old timey and such.

My basic argument is that there are more than enough excellent and affordable whiskeys with clear origins to ever even bother with something of unknown origin, and - the likelihood that a given whiskey is both mystery and awesome is small.

Further, it's also true (in that industry) that we're ~20yrs past the last time it was easy and affordable for 3rd Party bottlers and made up "Distilleries" to procure excellent bulk Bourbon to resell this way, anyway. Modern demand is way too high.

I think it's safe to say that while there are the occasional exceptions, this is the deal. At best it's bulk whiskey of an average sense in a new package, and it's next to impossible that any of these mystery whiskeys are something the known ones aren't... it's "as good" at best, I've found, so I just ignore them all, nowadays.

Conversely, if the stories and history and whatnot attract you, there are regular Bourbons influenced by real men who made a real difference in that scene, Booker Noe, Jim Beam, Elmer T Lee, and so on, real family histories like the Van Winkles, and Wild Turkey...

So, you know, why even bother with the fictional and mystery whiskey, there's only so much time to drink, and there are hordes of non mystery options as it is...?

That's my take. Ignore at will. Smile

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's cool. Enjoy those.

As a maybe useful side note:

I have a general problem with "mystery whiskey", which is my loose term for any whiskey sold without an entirely clear provenance regarding which physical Distillery made it, when, sometimes how old it really is, and what the mash is, as there is generally no reason to withhold these things if the whiskey is really that good (it usually isn't).

Often sold by 3rd Party bottlers/"Distilleries" that don't really exist. A related joke regarding Noah's Mill Bourbon is: "they're ain't no Noah and there ain't no Mill...", it's pure b.s. to sell whiskey, to sound ligit and old timey and such.

My basic argument is that there are more than enough excellent and affordable whiskeys with clear origins to ever even bother with something of unknown origin, and - the likelihood that a given whiskey is both mystery and awesome is small.

Further, it's also true (in that industry) that we're ~20yrs past the last time it was easy and affordable for 3rd Party bottlers and made up "Distilleries" to procure excellent bulk Bourbon to resell this way, anyway. Modern demand is way too high.

I think it's safe to say that while there are the occasional exceptions, this is the deal. At best it's bulk whiskey of an average sense in a new package, and it's next to impossible that any of these mystery whiskeys are something the known ones aren't... it's "as good" at best, I've found, so I just ignore them all, nowadays.

Conversely, if the stories and history and whatnot attract you, there are regular Bourbons influenced by real men who made a real difference in that scene, Booker Noe, Jim Beam, Elmer T Lee, and so on, real family histories like the Van Winkles, and Wild Turkey...

So, you know, why even bother with the fictional and mystery whiskey, there's only so much time to drink, and there are hordes of non mystery options as it is...?

That's my take. Ignore at will. Smile

Hear hear.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have about 6-7 bourbons that I consider good and are kept in my back-bar. None of them are $20/bottle......I deserve, and can afford, quality aged bourbon. It gives me pleasure....and no headache!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Cracked my sampler of Buffalo Trace tonight, definitely a contender. I found it smooth, simple, and satisfying.

Of course not available locally at this time but Safeway has Eagle Rare on sale for $36. My understanding is it the same juice, just aged longer so I might grab a bottle of that while it is available.

Tomorrow I will try my Maker’s tester, then decide which way I want to go for bottle number three.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My final sampler tonight, Maker’s Mark.

I can tell it is a little sweeter than the others. While I like that, it also has a little more burn than the Woodford, Bulliet, and Buffalo Trace did, but not as much as the Knob Creek.

At this point I think I will pass on picking up a bottle of it.

Tomorrow will be either the Four Roses SB or the Woodinville.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My journey into the world of Bourbon has taken a step forward. I have finished my sampler bottles, and tonight I opened one of my first “real” bottles.

Woodinville Straight Bourbon, a locally made “craft whiskey”. I have to admit it being local and the bottle played a part in my selection. While I wasn’t able to sample it before purchase, all the reviews were positive. Local startup, did well, made a name for itself and bought out by big name corp (LVMH) who saw promise and got in early, but let the company run as it was.

My take is pretty much in line with all the reviews- a nice smooth bourbon, more fruity/sweet than spicy. No burn, flavors hold up even after some ice dilution.

Tonight was my first pour from the bottle, sampled it neat then finished it mixed with cola and a little lime juice. Had to exercise some discipline to keep from pouring a second one Wink

Good review and more about the brand here:

https://www.thirtyonewhiskey.c...ght-bourbon-whiskey/

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Trying buffalo trace. On sale today $19 from $35. So bought a bottle to try.

Woodinville on the shelf for $40. Just getting the BT - better sale right now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed my very first “Old Fashioned” tonight!

Homemade simple syrup (made with Sucralose)
Angostura Bitters
Woodford Reserve Orange Bitters
Woodinville Straight Bourbon

No cherries or orange peel on hand, will have to pick some up for next time.

Very nice drink! Don’t know why I waited so long to give one a try. One little “oddity”, after mixing, the drink became cloudy instead of staying somewhat clear. My guess is it is a result of the sucralose simple syrup I made instead of real sugar

After the Old Fashioned, I decide to crack open my bottle of Four Roses Small Batch. Couldn’t resist giving it a taste to compare against the Woodinville Bourbon.

I would say they are similar. Both fairly smooth with more fruity than spicy tastes. My untrained palette thinks the Woodinville is a little “thicker” in the flavors it presents where the Four Roses is more of a “hint” than a “taste”. Four Roses has a little more of a burn to it than the Woodinville, but not harsh.

On initial comparison, if I had to pick one over the other I think I would lean towards the Woodinville at this point but enjoyed both!