SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 ... 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^ I'd buy it if I saw it for $50ish

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple bottles of A123 Larceny Barrel Proof. I heard it is really good and will be trying some this evening.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walked into the local liquor store last night when I spied they had about 6 bottles of McKenna Henry 10 on the Shelf but they were asking $59.99 a bottle and I already have full and partial.

I was so fixated on it that I never noticed the bottle of Buffalo Trace for $25.99 right next to it. I grabbed that one to add to the stash. That was bottle number 7 in 3 days.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Anyone been to the Makers Mark distillery to pick up bottles from your Ambassador barrel?

Mine is ready, visit window is from Apr 1st to Sep 30th, possibly going mid April

Any tips? Other places to visit in the area?

We have been to the Derby (Churchill Downs), KY horse park and Buffalo Trace Distillery

BTW, Woodford Derby bottles are out, picked one up yesterday

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Anyone been to the Makers Mark distillery to pick up bottles from your Ambassador barrel?

Mine is ready, visit window is from Apr 1st to Sep 30th, possibly going mid April

Any tips? Other places to visit in the area?

We have been to the Derby (Churchill Downs), KY horse park and Buffalo Trace Distillery

BTW, Woodford Derby bottles are out, picked one up yesterday

I did mine in 2021, did the gold ticket tour. Not sure there are any tips, they'll let you buy a bunch and dip if'n that's what you want. There also isn't much in that area, but Bardstown ain't far.

Congrats! Follow up with pics after.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
Walked into the local liquor store last night when I spied they had about 6 bottles of McKenna Henry 10 on the Shelf but they were asking $59.99 a bottle and I already have full and partial.

I would have grabbed ALL 6 bottles at that price, and been thrilled!!! Henry 10 y/0 is non-existent in my part of the Country.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Scored a freebie from a vendor.
They bought a barrel & offered them up for attending a webinar with them & a 3rd party vendor.

Curious to see how it compares to my Woodford at the house.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, let us know if it's good

Ever seen a tiny Blantons? It's from about 1999 and as you can see the Angels have had their cut. Going to have it next time my bud comes over, maybe tonight

posted Hide Post
quote:

Ever seen a tiny Blantons? It's from about 1999 and as you can see the Angels have had their cut. Going to have it next time my bud comes over, maybe tonight

I just bought a couple of those 50ml Blantons from Wooden Cork for Christmas presents. You can also buy empty ones from Buffalo Trace website. They are very cool.

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never heard of it, let us know if it's good

Definitely a sharper bite than Woodford.
Not bad, but not as smooth.
96 proof vs 90.4 for the Woodford.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tonight, this one.

Crap, the picture didn’t post. It’s Henry McKenna 10 YO Bottled in Bond

Posts: 13157 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Tonight, this one.

Crap, the picture didn’t post. It’s Henry McKenna 10 YO Bottled in Bond

You are in for a real bourbon treat!!!......at least I think so.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If this interests anyone

Enter to Win Lottery!
For a Chance to Purchase Secretariat Box Set #73
Lottery opens March 3 and closes March 7 at 11:59 pm
As a prelude to our new exhibit, Secretariat: America's Horse (opens in April), Kentucky Derby Museum is celebrating with a Bourbon Box Set featuring a rare bourbon from Woodford Reserve.

Kentucky Derby Museum’s commemorative Secretariat Bourbon Box Set celebrates the legend's 50th anniversary of his Triple Crown sweep!

This is the only Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Personal Selection pick of 2022. Two batches were selected and bottled for the Museum, yielding only enough Bourbon to fill 400 Box Sets. The Museum chose the two #73 bottles for the lottery (one from each batch), as a nod to the year 1973. Once these two Box Sets are claimed from the lottery for purchase, the Museum will announce two more limited releases – one in March and one in April – for the remaining Box Sets.

https://www.derbymuseum.org/se...riat-bourbonbox.html

I looked for a price before entering and didn't see one. I got an email after entering telling me thanks for entering and the price is $750 Eek

posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked for a price before entering and didn't see one. I got an email after entering telling me thanks for entering and the price is $750 Eek

Thanks for the link.

It's funny that you didn't see the price because I clicked on your link and it was right below the 'Register to Win' button.

I entered despite the cost. If I win, then I'll worry about the price.

Pretty sure I've got a spare kidney to cough up if I need the cash.

Edit to add: Looks like if I win I'll be making an emergency road trip to Kentucky. Can only be picked up in the store. Challenge accepted Big Grin

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
The hunt has been pretty crazy here lately, and with work I simply don't have the time to get out as much as I used to. Last week, things started getting out of hand with some people sitting for hours in their cars, stalking stores and looking through windows to see if/when managers would put product out on shelves, then scurry in like rats to try and snatch up a bottle. Roll Eyes These same people will post to local FB pages showing off their 'hauls' or scores like we don't know that you drove to 10 different stores to find those 3 bottles of Antique 107 or Blanton's. Let them have it!

I did not want to be associated with such behavior, though I am well known amongst many of the stores and managers, they know I am not a flipper or hoarder. I'm more of a "I want to try them all, and really only buy one bottle". I have some backups, but don't exert any extra energy trying to find it. More of a "if you see it on the shelf, buy it because you don't know when you will see it again" mentality.

After multiple days of striking out, I finally was able to scratch one from my list, yesterday netted me a Blanton's Straight from the Barrel! Was about 5 minutes too late and missed the Weller Single Barrel. It's the last one I need to finish my rainbow too! Frown

I've never had it, and it's my first bottle. I no longer buy the standard single barrel Blanton's that we get in stores every 4-6 weeks, I finished collecting all of the cork/letters and it's not really my favorite. I have an open bottle in the event someone comes over and they like it or haven't tried it.

My wish-list has shrunk, so now all that remains are batched drops (Larceny BP, Booker's, Stagg, EHTBP, etc.) and the following:

Weller Single Barrel
Blanton's Gold

Idaho has started up doing lottery drawings again, similar to how they do the Pappy/BTAC/Four Roses LE. So the days of finding the Old Fitzgerald, Parker's or Wild Turkey Master's Keep out in the stores is all but over. Don't get me wrong, if I won the chance to buy them I would, but don't play the secondary market. It's just whiskey.

Granted I do have a list of Duty free or overseas releases that I'm trying to obtain, but that's even harder as I don't travel and rely upon family and friends.

For now, I am much happier sticking to my 2023 goal of trying new things we don't normally get and private barrel picks.

Good luck to you all! Once I crack this, I'll post a review.

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Had a chance to try two excellent bourbons last night. Heaven Hill bottled in bond, and one I'd never heard of that is possibly the best bourbon I've ever tasted, called Shenks. I looked it up, and it's spendy, in the $250 range for a bottle, but man oh man was it tasty!

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Big things going on in my world this month, so I decided to treat myself.

Friends recommended Old Forester 1910, but it wasn't available at my local store. So I bought some Woodford Reserved Double Oaked. I'm looking forward to warmer weather, so I can enjoy it while doing some evening porch-sitting.

(Not my photo.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13401 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Haven't had the Double Oaked, let us know how it is.

As my Newb Bourbon palate is maturing, I have come to the conclusion that I love Woodford, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace more than any high dollar Bourbon I have tried

Bourbon goes in and
Knowledge comes out
Picture of majik61
posted Hide Post
The Woodford Double Oaked is an excellent pour.

----------------------------------Why worry and hurry through life? You can't come out of it alive.

Posts: 185 | Location: Florence SC | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majik61:
The Woodford Double Oaked is an excellent pour.

Yes it is. My favorite Woodford for sure.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post