SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PghPI:
Just catching up in the thread, and read YellowJacket's gift purchase. Made me wonder if anyone else in the thread has purchased any of the higher end bottles from the secondary market.

I'm assuming that it's mostly a search for bottles that can be had for well under the secondary market price, or are lucky enough to be lottery pick winners, but I was just curious if anyone actually buys at the secondary market price. I mean, it has to be happening, because none of the stuff is available, and distributors can't just buy and hold all of it, right?

I think corporate buyers don't mind buying way over msrp for gift giving. It's typically a drop in the bucket and the effort to get an "unobtainable" bottle is very appreciated by the giftee.

I would not spend the money, typically, for myself. But, say I was throwing a Christmas party, I would probably splurge on one bottle to have a conversation piece, especially if I had people who would appreciate it. Some of the markups are not too bad. For instance, $150 for Blanton's instead of the $80-90 that I usually see it. Or $170 for Weller Antique 107... probably. The premium is worth the impact even if the juice isn't technically "worth it."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just catching up in the thread, and read YellowJacket's gift purchase. Made me wonder if anyone else in the thread has purchased any of the higher end bottles from the secondary market.

I'm assuming that it's mostly a search for bottles that can be had for well under the secondary market price, or are lucky enough to be lottery pick winners, but I was just curious if anyone actually buys at the secondary market price. I mean, it has to be happening, because none of the stuff is available, and distributors can't just buy and hold all of it, right?

People and bars and stores buy off secondary all the time.

A lot of stores with museums behind the counter list for over secondary. Some will bargain some stick to their absurd pricing as way to show off the bottles while they wait for the right sucker to come to the store.

Some buyers value time over money. Why spend every Saturday driving around looking for deals and chatting up store workers and buying hundreds of dollars of stuff they don’t really want in order to be a good guy who gets offered a bottle or two of the most sought after stuff for a price ranging from MSRP to obscene. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people complain about the effort they put into building s relationship only to be offered that super hard to find bottle for an outrageous price. I live in one of the most hunted and most expensive places in the country. There are hundreds of buyers who don’t blink at spending thousands to get the bottle they want when they want it. Time is money. At a certain hourly rate it makes more sense to just pay the going rate for the bottle.

There are few things I would consider paying secondary prices for and most of them cost an amount I’m unwilling to pay. I’ve bought into bottle shares at ridiculous prices but those were for a few ounces and cost about half of what a bar would charge if it could even be found at a bar. Once in a lifetime experiences that were worth the money.

I’ve sold a bottle here and there. It funds the purchase of many other bottles I’d rather have.

Whiskey drinkers tend to be a generous bunch. Amazing bottles get shared. I’ve had epic nights with overflowing tables of the bottles everybody wants and even better stuff.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The last time I asked at a bar, Lot B was $65 for an oz shot. 25 shots per 750 = $1665. So still making money even if you pay a grand for the bottle. Worth it to have it on your shelves.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the feedback and the different perspectives.

I did discuss secondary purchases with a CEO business acquaintance of mine who also happens to own a pair of bars in Silicon Valley. His bar managers were all about having one or more high end or allocated bourbon behind the bar and it was most often drained by an office gang or party celebrating some business deal. He offered to monetize my collection if I was interested. Smile

I was more interested in wondering if any of us single consumers had pulled the trigger on any particular bottle.

I've got a pretty decent (for me) collection that I have all gotten via lottery selection or winning other drawings at bourbon tasting events locally. I can see becoming a seller before I would buy on the secondary market.

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did discuss secondary purchases with a CEO business acquaintance of mine who also happens to own a pair of bars in Silicon Valley. His bar managers were all about having one or more high end or allocated bourbon behind the bar and it was most often drained by an office gang or party celebrating some business deal. He offered to monetize my collection if I was interested. Smile

I was more interested in wondering if any of us single consumers had pulled the trigger on any particular bottle.

I've got a pretty decent (for me) collection that I have all gotten via lottery selection or winning other drawings at bourbon tasting events locally. I can see becoming a seller before I would buy on the secondary market.

I think you need to share what's in your collection!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I think you need to share what's in your collection!

Fair Enough Smile

2021 Old Rip Van Winkle (10 year old)
2019 Van Winkle 12 year old Lot B
2017 George T. Stagg (129.2 proof)
2017 EH Taylor 4-grain
2016 Weller 12
Blanton's (with a 6/4 dump date, my birthday!)
Eagle Rare 17 year old

That Taylor 4-grain I was not super excited about when I won it, but it got several "Whiskey of the Year" awards and it sure shot up in price. I have not paid more than $109 for any of these,

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll speak for everyone here. DAMN!!!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was pawing through the basement yesterday and found a full case of unopened WL Weller Special reserve and about 2 fingers in the bottle of Jefferson Ocean, and a crapload more misc bottles.

Totally forgotten. Gonna leave them there for a few more years. (not the Ocean, gonna gift that to my brother who would be highly appreciative.)

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Great stuff PghPI. Are those from state lotteries or store lotteries? (In Ga the state does not control alcohol, not sure about PA.)

I won a lottery pick in 2017 and got a bottle of 2016 Birthday Bourbon for $90. That feels like ages ago. My shop quit doing lotteries and just saves the best stuff for good customers. I buy store picks pretty often and try to be seen and talk to guys but the decision makers are only there during the day and I usually visit in the evening.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Great stuff PghPI. Are those from state lotteries or store lotteries? (In Ga the state does not control alcohol, not sure about PA.)

I won a lottery pick in 2017 and got a bottle of 2016 Birthday Bourbon for $90. That feels like ages ago. My shop quit doing lotteries and just saves the best stuff for good customers. I buy store picks pretty often and try to be seen and talk to guys but the decision makers are only there during the day and I usually visit in the evening.

Mostly from PA State lottery selections. I think I was selected the first three times that I entered. The ORVW I have now, I won on a raffle drawing at a local Volunteer Fire Department. It was a 100 ticket raffle at $20/chance. I bought 5 tickets, and one of them was #64. Since 6/4 is my birthday (actually its 6/4/64) I actually felt that I was going to win that drawing.

I have had the ORVW once before, that was the first bottle that I ever won in the PA State LCB drawings. We drank it at my daughter's wedding.

The Blanton's was purchased in the PA State store before they started to allocate Blanton's a year or two ago. I used to buy Blanton's by the case but no more. Frown

The local VFD that raffled the ORVW just did a bottle of 13 year old rye and next month they are supposed to do something else. I don't know exactly where they are buying it, I was told one of the members gets it out of NJ and it is at secondary price. They offered me the cash value of the bottle if I wanted the cash instead of the bourbon, but I told him I could get that filthy American lucre anywhere, but not the juice. Smile

Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
My Brother was able to buy 1.75 of BT and WSR this week.

According to the Cincinnati Bourbon Society FB page, there is a lot of WSR, Antique 107 and BT available in the Cincy area.

Ohio is a liquor control state, so it is all at MSRP.

Happy hunting.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A local restaurant has a nice selection. I tried Weller SR and Eagle Rare 10 last night. I really liked the Weller but the Eagle Rare seemed a bit raw to me - how I usually describe Bulliet. Next time I’ll try the Weller Antique. Most are around $6 for an ounce pour.

Buffalo Trace is relatively easy to find here at regular prices which really is a great value for what you get.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
These prices seem really good. Fort Moore (Benning) Georgia shoppette.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Great Score!!!!

ER for $28.80.......That is strong!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I splurged yesterday and picked up a bottle of Knob Creek. This is a store pick that was barreled on January 29, 2013 and selected January 31, 2023. It was $70 plus tax, the most I have spent on a bottle to date. I will say that it is a smooth 120 proof with plenty of flavor. I can't wait for it to open up a little to see the true flavors come out. If the neck pour is any indication, this will become even better.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I splurged yesterday and picked up a bottle of Knob Creek. This is a store pick that was barreled on January 29, 2013 and selected January 31, 2023. It was $70 plus tax, the most I have spent on a bottle to date. I will say that it is a smooth 120 proof with plenty of flavor. I can't wait for it to open up a little to see the true flavors come out. If the neck pour is any indication, this will become even better.

I have a store pick 120 proof Knob Creek that is SO GOOD, way better than I'd expected. I purchased it because it was a store pick and I was playing the game, and IIRC, it was more like $85 but it's well worth the cost of admission for me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9692 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
A local restaurant has a nice selection. I tried Weller SR and Eagle Rare 10 last night. I really liked the Weller…

Weller SR is so far, my favorite ive tried, but unobtainable here.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
quote:
A local restaurant has a nice selection. I tried Weller SR and Eagle Rare 10 last night. I really liked the Weller…

If you are ever in the Cincy area, You should be able to buy Weller SR, maybe even a handle for $55.00

It is a really, really good bourbon, IMO.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
quote:
quote:

If you are ever in the Cincy area, You should be able to buy Weller SR, maybe even a handle for $55.00

It is a really, really good bourbon, IMO.

unfortunately Utah is a control state so i can’t even order it, and i definitely don’t travel much outside Utah and occasionally Idaho. I’ll always keep my eyes open for it though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately Utah is a control state so i can’t even order it, and i definitely don’t travel much outside Utah and occasionally Idaho. I’ll always keep my eyes open for it though.

You can always put your name in for the Rare High Demand Products Lottery Drawing. I got a bottle of Weller Single Barrel that way a couple of years ago.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post