SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money...
Page 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 129
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon Bonanza: Update: It's only money... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^ Nice,
I still need to invest in some decent glasses

P250UA5:

Some years ago I got a good deal on Marquis by Waterford glasses. This is one of them, brand new (the sticker is still on it) and in the box. (Set of 4 glasses). If you are interested, PM me your address and I’ll put the box in the mail on Monday.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Since Lent is over, I am again enjoying some Bourbon.

Easter evening, I did enjoy a Total Wine Barrel pick of Iron Fish. This was finished in maple syrup barrels.

I drank it neat.

At 109 proof, I was a little concerned it may be too hot. Not to worry, it went down smooth.

Hope to enjoy some BT this evening.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Any love for Angel's Envy? How about Whistle Pig? I can get both here regularly.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Any love for Angel's Envy? How about Whistle Pig? I can get both here regularly.

I have a bottle of Angel’s Envy that I h received as a gift and haven’t opened yet.

Just recently I started going down the Whistle Pig rabbit hole. My local store carries a pretty vast selection; some on the shelf and some above the back counter…I’ve not completely figured out the differences yet.

Last year I was able to pick this up in S. Carolina - it came highly recommend by the manager.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Rough life these days:

Calumet Farm 15 year old single rack black
Wild Turkey (80 proof)
Uncle Nearest......

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
^^^
I’ve become a fan of that Calumet.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
^ Nice,
I still need to invest in some decent glasses

P250UA5:

Some years ago I got a good deal on Marquis by Waterford glasses. This is one of them, brand new (the sticker is still on it) and in the box. (Set of 4 glasses). If you are interested, PM me your address and I’ll put the box in the mail on Monday.

Email sent to the address in your profile.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What a great weekend

We drove to Jeffersonville, IN Friday to spend the night, which is just a few miles from Churchill downs. Pretty cool area

We started Saturday morning at Churchill Downs, we did an awesome tour of the place including the backside of the track where the stables are, infield tunnels, Millionaire's row, Turf Club and Stakes room. The wife got to meet one her favorite Jockeys while he was exercising a horse, she was thrilled

We then drove to Loretto, KY for our Makers Mark tour. We checked in and they asked how many Ambassador bottles I wanted. Tour was cool, I would say a little more in depth of the inner workings than Beam did. More than one Rick House, including where all of the 46 is stored, it's in a cold climate controlled building built in to the lime stone BTW. We did a nice tasting and then on to the gift shop where we got to dip all bottles bought, not just the Ambassador bottles

They said the Ambassador bottles were a small batch with less than 25 barrels

The bar near check in

Bottling line with the red wax vat

Tasting room

The next day we drove from our hotel in Bardstown to the Beam distillery in Clermont. This place was laid out better and nicer than Makers but a bit more of a generic tour. We were given the opportunity to buy some Knob Creek single barrel that we helped bottle and label, our names were put on the bottles before hand. That was cool. A tasting and then off to the gift shop. We then ate lunch before heading home at the on site restaurant the Kitchen Table, very good

My bud washing his bottle with the same juice we bottled with

My wife putting her thumb print in the wax on her bottle

The tasting

The haul

From left to right

Some new labels they gave us, a Makers 101, a Private Selection Toasted Marshmallow, Founders Edition with Margie Samuels on the label, my Ambassador bottles, Knob Creek 9 yr single barrel and a 10 Yr Basil Hayden

I thought it was a bit funny that some of the ladies with their husbands looked like the man dreading shopping with their wife at the mall

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Nice Swede. I really enjoy Maker's products and wish they'd be a little more forthcoming with special editions and older whisky.

I am looking to give a couple of high end bourbon gifts... some hard to find stuff and engraved bottles. Any recommendations on where to buy? I am looking mostly at woodencork.com.

This is a group-funded gift so I don't mind paying aftermarket price. Probably have about a grand to spend on 2 bottles.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Louisiana over the weekend and hit a couple of stores to see what they had to offer compared to around home.

Saw a place for Eagle Rare on a shelf in a Walmart with a price tag of $30.88 but it was empty of course.

Saw all kinds of Sazerac Rye but wasn't in the market for any because I'm pretty well stocked up.

Saw 3 bottles of Blanton's for $150 ea, 2 bottles of EH Taylor Small Batch for $200 each and a bottle of Thomas Handy 18 yr Sazerac Rye for $1400. Left them all there, just not willing to pay those inflated prices.

I did however pick up a bottle of Eagle Rare for $60. Still inflated but not as bad as the others.

There are so many readily available bottles these days I don't know if I'll continue the chase on the BT Products.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
This required a donation to the KY Wildlife Federation, but I finally got one.

Very excited, but will probably not get to try this until after my ablation, the second week in July.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Swede-
Looking at the shelves in the background- How do you like the Barrell Bourbon seagrass rye?

I'm a huge fan of a lot of stuff in that line.
Their regular bourbon is probably one of my favorites! The Dovetail isn't bad at all, I'd like to try the Private Release.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
CPD, I really like that Seagrass, the slight hint of apricot really makes it wonderful. Not a fan of the price though. I haven't tried any of their other offerings

P-220, nice score, never had that

YellowJacket, good luck in your search. I have no recommendations. The local Haji Mart has a couple of Van Winkle somethings in the cabinet for $1700 each Roll Eyes

BTW, we opened that 10yr Basil Hayden last night. A huge throat punch of Oak, that's it. Disappointing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BigSwede,

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
CPD, I really like that Seagrass, the slight hint of apricot really makes it wonderful. Not a fan of the price though. I haven't tried any of their other offerings

YellowJacket, good luck in your search. I have no recommendations. The local Haji Mart has a couple of Van Winkle somethings in the cabinet for $1700 each Roll Eyes

BTW, we opened that 10yr Basil Hayden last night. A huge throat punch of Oak, that's it. Disappointing

I ended up buying from Nestor Liquor. Very easy to work with. I couldnt find the bottle I wanted engraved on their website but they responded to my CS call and assured me they had it and would engrave it. They just directed me to select another bottle of similar price and then email the order number and they'd swap in the correct one. Of course, the bottle prices are pretty crazy but money wasn't really an obstacle for us. One of them is a Booker's fan so I got him a bottle of Little Book Chapter 5 and the otger is a wheater/Makers fan so I got him a bottle of Weller 12.

The bottles are engraved to commemorate their ownership of the firm and come in a gift basket with old fashioned ingredients and a glencairn. I also picked up a handle of Eagle Rare for their casual consumption (we have a stocked bar in the office and have happy hours every few weeks) just because I love the absolute tank of a bottle. And I know they both like it. The 3 of us have bourbon nights about 3 or 4 times a year at each other's houses.

UPS tracking says they'll be here Thursday. Fingers crossed we can gift them before the Derby. I'll take pictures. I'm hoping for a smooth transaction because I'm usually greenlighted to get a special bottle (reasonable $) each year for the company Christmas party.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

They average $90 +/- up here. I'm glad that it does, because if it was a $40-45, I'd be on it like a fat kid on a ice cream cone!
It's a once in a while bottle for me.

I've heard the same about the Basil 10 year from a few friends. I haven't cracked mine open yet. I'm really liking the Toast and the Cask Finish, the Subtle Smoke is just OK.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8345 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
First purchase of this. Only $28.70 Hopefully it's good stuff. Knob Creek 9 YO and Buffalo Trace are all I have to compare it against.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I received the gift baskets from nestor Liquor yesterday and we're presenting them this afternoon. Everything turned out very nice.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Very nice

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Those are fantastic gifts.

From the cherries, to the bitters, to the chocolate, to the carmel corn, to the dried fruit, the Glencarin glasses and the Bourbon.

Well done!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
Just catching up in the thread, and read YellowJacket's gift purchase. Made me wonder if anyone else in the thread has purchased any of the higher end bottles from the secondary market.

I'm assuming that it's mostly a search for bottles that can be had for well under the secondary market price, or are lucky enough to be lottery pick winners, but I was just curious if anyone actually buys at the secondary market price. I mean, it has to be happening, because none of the stuff is available, and distributors can't just buy and hold all of it, right?

Posts: 215 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post