SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I stopped at the range on the way home from dropping Noah off at work this morning. Gave it five runs with the PX4.

I'm still trying to figure this gun out. I love the controls and the smooth trigger, but the pretravel on the reset keeps resulting in me pushing shots low, and I think the natural point of aim differs from what I'm used to. I spent some time on the plate rack after shooting the match targets, as well as the Dave Spaulding 9 in 9 drill, and discovered that I can make it do what I want if I'm slow and deliberate about it, but when I speed up everything unravels quickly.

Left target was cold. Right was the run I'm happiest with, considering time and consistency of shot placement. I had one faster run at 9.52, and I also put three out on that one, but shot dispersion was much greater. None of the 5 runs were clean. I really want to like this gun, but unfortunately I can't hit dick with it...

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
FSTECH - If you have an optic on it, at 10 feet, you will shoot low. Either way, compensate!

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
That looks like a coal digger.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
FSTECH - If you have an optic on it, at 10 feet, you will shoot low. Either way, compensate!

No optic on the PX4. The gun shoots to point of aim....the low impacts in this case are entirely shooter induced. Sight offset did get me with the P320 the other day, though.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that's a good video. It honestly is a really nice gun. It's just different enough from the gun I work with the most that I am getting slightly different results using the same grip techniques. I'm sure if I put the same amount of time in on the PX4 as I have on the 320 the outcomes would be comparable. I'm starting to discover that enjoying a lot of different designs as a hobby is kind of a curse when it comes to practical shooting.

Oh, the PX4 was 100% with the same ammo that was choking Noah's CZ. I also put about 75 rounds of it through my EMP4 yesterday without a single malfunction. I think the CZ is just a picky eater.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So has everybody gotten to shoot this one that wants to? Anybody still waiting for a chance to get to the range? Or is it time to come up with a new one?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Shot it outdoors Sunday, after rifle range all morning.

Wasn't pretty. If I can find the targets with times written on them, I'll post them.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
In my short time here, I haven’t seen anyone judging someone else’s marksmanship.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
In my short time here, I haven’t seen anyone judging someone else’s marksmanship.

Are we talking about scoring and ranking here or citiquing marksmanship in general?

Scoring-wise, the bullseye courses pretty much speak for themselves. You add the totals and get what you get. The current drill is more complicated. Do we prioritize accuracy over time, so fastest clean run automatically wins? Accept runs with misses but apply a time penalty? Are we only scoring the initial "cold" run, or the shooter's best run after multiple attempts, or some hybrid score of the two? IMO this one was easier to just treat as a marksmanship drill for our own development and edification than to try and score it, but if somebody wants to come up with a scoring rubric for it, we can apply it.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Neither, or both. I just said that nobody is keeping score. My impression is that there are no winners or losers. I have been judging myself since I haven’t seen anyone posting scores other than on our own targets. If we’re keeping score against everyone else, I’ll be the biggest loser every time. Please don’t hesitate to correct me if I’m wrong. It won’t be the first time.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You are correct in that we haven't posted a final tally of scores for a match in a while. I probably ought to be more intentional about that. I usually just look back through the posts and see who came out on top. But again, for this most recent one, I'm not really sure how to score it.

Here's what I show from this past challenge, with the emphasis being placed on accuracy:

Cold targets:

DBGarlikov: 14.31 Seconds, Clean (not sure from your post if this was your "cold" target or your best target)
RichardC: 12.64 Seconds with 2 out.
92FSTech: 12.59 Seconds with 3 out.
Noah: 11.97 Seconds with 4 out.
Fritz: 12.91 Seconds with 4 out

Best Targets:

92FSTech: 9.03 Seconds, Clean
Fritz: 12.02 Seconds Clean
RichardC: 11.15 Seconds with one out
Noah: 10.68 Seconds with 4 out.
DBGarlikov: ?

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
My assumption as to it being a contest was clearly incorrect. (I don’t like the word “wrong” when it applies to me.)

I didn’t know how to score my target either. It was cold as far as the first target shot with the P320. However, I shot before it with my M&P 9 compact and shot after it with my P365. This was my best time, but the others had no misses either. Looking at it now, it was my best, but not my first. As I said earlier, if it’s a contest, I’ll be the loser every time. But that won’t stop me from trying. I’m looking forward to the next challenge.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, if that was your cold run, I'd say that's pretty darn good! You controlled the throttle and managed to shoot a clean run, which none of the rest of us did. I'd say you take the win on this one!

quote:
But that won’t stop me from trying.

And that's what we're going for right there! It's sort of a contest, but there's not really any prizes, and it's all on the honor system. I mainly view it as competition against myself...the goal is improvement. And the nice thing about doing it this way is we share input on drills, get an idea of realistic par times, and are sometimes forced to shoot guns or techniques we're not comfortable with and probably wouldn't do on our own.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hey, wait!

Gimme until tomorrow to try and find my targets from Sunday. If I wrote the times on them, I'm sure I can qualify for dead last place. Smile

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
It was my first with that gun, but not my first overall. No win there! I’m going back to the outdoor range on Friday. I’ll take one gun and shoot a few with just that gun. If I can do it honestly, then I’ll take it. Thanks everyone for your patience with a relative newbie.

posted Hide Post
quote:

You must have the Sigforum introductory no-cost membership plan. The paid subscriber Sigforum Plus plan provides additional features and allows the user to view all posts.

The ribbing you may be seeing on the site:
- Well that proves the blind squirrel doesn't get the nut.

- Mommy not letting you practice airsoft in the basement anymore?

- Consider changing your skeet choke to a full choke. Should tighten up those patterns a bit.

- You do realize the goal is to have POI equal POA, right?

- Have you considered taking up scrap booking as a hobby?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I’ll (try to) keep quiet in the future.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Consider changing your skeet choke to a full choke. Should tighten up those patterns a bit.

I like that....I'm stealing it Big Grin!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Somehow, that made me think of Jerry Clower's coon huntin' story: