SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I took all five of my handguns to the range today and shot five targets at 21’. I was quite satisfied with my shooting until I got ready to start taking pictures. I read one of your replies and realized that I must have had my head up my a**. I forgot that it was support hand only so I blew my entire afternoon by shooting with both hands. . . At the same time :-(

I’ll try again later this week, if I can extract my head.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Got out this morning after dropping Noah off for work and shot the match. Maybe we should have used a smaller target...I blame RichardC for all the bullseye practice we've gotten over the past couple of months Big Grin.

First up was the work gun (P320 Full-Size W/ Romeo 1 Pro). 100 - 6X

Then the backup (S&W 640 Pro). This was a good exercise for this one, since it spends a lot of time in my left pocket. Got a 99 - 7X. Should have been 100...I was getting excited about the potential of a 100 and dumped the last shot into the 9 ring. You let your emotions get the better of you for an instant and that's what you get Mad.

Finally, the new toy. I picked this P220 compact up a couple of weeks ago to serve as a companion to my P245. Got it for a decent deal at a new local shop that I'd never been to before. Police trade, but in remarkably good condition. Problem is, the dang thing shoots high. It has the same sights (#8 rear, #6 front) as my P245, but that gun shoots to point of aim. They are virtually identical, but the P220 had a short trigger, which I thought me be affecting my grip, so I swapped it this weekend for a standard trigger when I installed an SRT kit. The gun still shoots high...I even tried it two-handed after this with the same results. I'm probably going to have to find a #8 front sight for it. Got a 78 - 1X, and the "X" was using a 6:00 hold.

Finally, I shot it again left-handed on a timer with the P320 and the 640...no real par time or anything, I just wanted to see what a little bit of perceived time pressure did to my accuracy. I even shot it pretty slow...just re-acquire sight picture and squeeze (about 16 seconds for 10 rounds, so roughly 1.5 second splits), and predictably, my accuracy went to hell. Something to work on...

Something happened to my grip after the reload on this one, and I pushed all those rounds to the right:

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Those are some great targets, 92fstech! Good eye, steady hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Months of challenging times at the office are starting to settle....a bit. The last time I shot and was at the family ranch was in mid-December.

So....going back to the page 31 of this thread, the rimfire challenge from 12/30/22. Match #1, MR-31 target at 50 yards. First weekend in a handful without rain, but winds weren't fun. 10-20 mph in the open pastures. Even in the trees the wind swirl wasn't fun. First go, 100-9X.

Second go, 100-8X. I adjusted the scope up and right 1/4 MOA.

Third try, 100-9X.

Winds were getting worse, but as long as I was taking a break from chainsaw duties, might as well try 100 yards. 99-3X. Judging winds were challenging.

And the little Kimber that was responsible for the holes in the paper.

On a bummer note, my eyesight has gone to shit since the first of the year. Frickin' cataracts. Both parents had them. Years of outdoor activities at high altitude evidently pushed me over the edge. Hard to shoot well, even with a decent scope. 100 yards was an exercise in "I think that's about where the crosshairs should go...." Iron sights are even worse. My eye doc recommends surgery sometime this year. Maybe in the fall.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good to have you back, fritz! That's some excellent shooting! Sorry to hear about your eyes. I went through about a month-long period about a year and a half ago where my eyesight went all to hell (apparently when you fasting blood sugar has been 400 for a while and they put you on insulin to correct that, it does crazy stuff to your eyesight). Thankfully the docs were right and it was temporary, but I didn't 100% believe that at the time, and it scared the crap out of me (had to instruct and pass a rifle qual during that mess, too, which I did). Not being able to see is really pretty horrible. Thankfully modern medicine is pretty effective at that stuff, and hopefully they can get your cataracts cleaned up and your eyesight back to normal quickly.

Even with diminished vision, though, your shooting is supurb!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Hi, fritz. Get the cataract surgery done. It'll pay off.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Shot 3 targets today, 21', P229 in .40 S&W.
Had lots of failures to fully chamber; combination of poor maintenance and limp-wristing.

Cleaned & lubed after getting home.

Target 1 76-1X
Target 2 88 1-X
Target 3 61

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Not bad, Richard! Especially target #2. Weak-hand-only shooting can definitely bring out the mechanical gremlins as well...I probably ought to be more deliberate about using it as part of the vetting process for a new defensive gun.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I have a great new excuse. Big Grin Got collided by an inattentive Toyota driver in traffic last week. Hands and wrists still a little achey. I should shoot all my handguns to see which ones are susceptible.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ouch that's not good! Glad it wasn't worse than some sore wrists! I take it you weren't on your bike at the time?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nope, in automoble.

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
I'm having a helluva time getting my images to post. First, I couldn't use Flickr so I used Imgur. Now, I can't use Imgur, so I tried Flickr again and after a couple hours of experimenting I think I am able to get my target picture up. Last week, I went to the range and forgot that it was support hand only. Then I went back and shot with my left hand and was pleased with how I did, but then I couldn't get the image to show. I hope I can remember what I just did, so I don't have to go through it all again after the next challenge.
I shot this one with my S&W M&P 2.0 Compact. It was my first gun and the one I rely on most often. I'm taking six week shooting classes over and over. I used it for the first few times through and for the last series I used my new P320 so I could get comfortable with it. For the next one that starts on June 14th, I'm going to use my P365 so I can get over the insecurity of concealed carrying, which I do, but would probably have had a hard time using it had I needed it.
Support Hand by David Garlikov, on Flickr

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Speaking of sore wrists...

Noah and I are going to Alaska this summer, and the .44 is coming along for the ride. I took it out Thursday evening for some practice, and decided what the heck why not try the left-handed challenge.

I didn't have any B8s in my folder, so I had to make do with a leftover rabbit from a few months ago.

I've described some of my .357 revolvers as "sweethearts" in the past. In contrast, this gun is an asshole. I was able to keep it mostly together at first, but the recoil got to me before I was done. After doing the left-handed thing, I put about 60-75 rounds through it two-handed...I was visibly shaking by the time I finished, and the flinch was real. I think I bruised the web of my hand, because it hurt for 3 days Eek!

ETA: You posted while I was typing, David...Nice work with that M&P, sir!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
DAvid, that's a great target!
92fstech, you adn that .44 do good work together.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am still here but life intrudes and things have been crazy and coincidentally I have actually injured my strong arm.

I am hoping to get to the range tomorrow.

I am also hoping to shoot a third as well as those targets above. Smile.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
WAHOO...I made to the range. Smile
Holy hell it hurts.....I made it to the range. Frown

So I ran the 7 yards, weak hand, 10 shot drill which as I said I, coincidentally, actually have an injured strong side arm.

I had planned on bringing a cool toy like a revolver or something I could "cheat" with like a P7 but since I was actually hurt I figured I should do some actual shooting with actual defensive guns. So I shot this with an HK P30 9mm.

-10 shots
-7 yards
-Cold group, first group of the day
-Weak hand only
-DA first shot as it should be. Big Grin

Not great but could be worse. I thought I completely shanked my first DA shot to be honest. I was surprised to find 10 holes.

Anyway here we are.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Noah and I are going to Alaska this summer, and the .44 is coming along for the ride. I took it out Thursday evening for some practice, and decided what the heck why not try the left-handed challenge.

It LITERALLY hurt me to read this. I winced a little. Big Grin Awesome shooting.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Cslinger, that's good work!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what 92fstech said. Smile

Ummm, 92fstech, what kind of loads in your .44?

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the kind words. I ran another 115 rounds normally between a P30 and P30L and while I shot fairly well it HURT LIKE HELL. I have either an elbow injury or a wicked case of tendinitis and while it’s always good to know you can shoot weak hand or through the pain………….it’s probably not the smartest thing to do. Smile.

I am curious as to what loads you were running through the 44 as well.

How about the 640?

Both are some awesome shooting. The 320 doesn’t count, it has a great trigger and an optic, it’s a cheater gun. Razz