SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
And to have done it all with that little hatchet.
I am in awe. Smile

And that was with the protective head cover on. Just imagine what it could do with an exposed blade....

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it today with the big 320.

First run, not great. 3 misses, just under 13 seconds:

I shot it 8 times, this was the best. Still not great, but at least I improved.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I shot it 8 times, this was the best. Still not great, but at least I improved.

Nice. Just don't get too cocky.

Posts: 7874 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just don't get too cocky.

Kinda unavoidable with this target Big Grin!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice targets!

If the outdoor range schedule is no-go this weekend, I'll try it at home with my CO2 revolver, just to keep my hand in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. Great time.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Richard - I hadn’t thought of a Co2 gun. My basement is long. Any recommendations, prefer pistol.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
David, my only magazine fed air pistol is a S&W replica revolver.

I can reload it with the "rotary magazines", probably much slower than firearm semi-autos or revolvers.

I just watched the video again and realized it has to be shot in a particular sequence, top to bottom, all eight shots on one target.
Specifics start at 0:42/1:54.

https://youtu.be/wg622lk_gCo

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post

I took all three of my pistols to the range today. The only one that I'm not embarrassed to show anyone was shot with my Sig P320. I can hit the target, that's not my problem. I'm just too slow.

I need to ask and I hope you all will answer in your next post. I'm 75 years old and have been shooting for 2 1/2 years. How old are you?

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Richard - I think that it makes sense to get one that is the same as a pistol I own and shoot with. The Sig M17 is similar to my p320 and is the only one I've found that I can put and optic on.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:
David, my only magazine fed air pistol is a S&W replica revolver.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's good shooting, David! Being able to hit that little triangle is a challenge in itself, and when you add the time pressure, it's just that much harder.

I'm only 38, but I've been nearsighted since my teens and my reaction times are pretty poor. Given time, I can usually work through the fundamentals and hit what I'm aiming at, but speed isn't my forte. That video of the carry trainer dude running this drill in 5 seconds is sort of demoralizing, I'll admit, because I don't know as I even have the ability to go that fast, no matter how much I train. Just reacting to the beep and getting the gun out takes time, and then you have to have perfect presentation and dot acquisition to hit that little triangle right out of the holster. Plus your reload needs to be perfect. And you've gotta have some serious fast-twitch muscle control to run a trigger that fast. There's a lot of moving parts to this drill, and the accuracy standard is pretty tight.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yesterday, as per the video instruction, I tried focusing in on the tip like a laser ( at home), just to see.
At ten feet the offset was so huge, I just used the irons at the indoor range.
Draw from sheath not allowed, so laid bare pistol on table, grabbed it up to fire when timer beeped.
M9A3 arched rubber grip, well lubed, 9MM NATO ful power loads, both hands on, DA/SA trigger strokes, Streamlight TLR-8 mounted but not in play.

I may have shot prematurely, should have watched video more closely, can't seem to follow simple instructions. I thought it was two to the tip, two to the shaft and two each to the ... circles. I may give it another go before the match is ended.

First target for score, cold, DA/SA: Two out, 12.64 seconds
Second target, two out 24.54 seconds Other shooters' reports may have joggled my timer.

Third target one out, 11.15 seconds, fourth target two out 11.39 seconds, fifth target one out, 11.15 seconds.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Richard, and I like that Beretta!

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We went out and shot it again tonight (well, me again. Noah for the first time). I ran it from my duty holster this time (Safariland 6360 with SLS and ALS) instead of the sticky leather desantis scabbard that I used last time.

I put more emphasis into proper grip pressure and consistent presentation...then totally forgot about sight offset and really messed up my cold run (targets were shot left to right, so it's the one on the left). It's worse than it loks...my first shot went into the "3" Box, so I shot two more and then "fixed" it by putting my fourth round into the triangle. Sight offset got me on the left nut, too.

I was really happy with my shooting on the second run. My grip stayed consistent and follow through was good, which yielded nice tight groups. I cost myself at least a second on the reload, though, by fumbling the mag (my duty rig has a triple mag pouch and since I had only loaded two mags I initially grabbed at an empty slot in the pouch and had to hunt around for the mag). Even when I don't miss the mag, the reload is something that is costing me time overall...there's no excuse as I know exactly when it's coming, but I still find myself reacting to it rather than proactively initiating it as soon as that 4th round is fired.

The best time was the third one. The shooting wasn't bad, but didn't feel as smooth as the second run. The reload went better, though.

Noah had a rough time with it. He's perfectly capable of making the hits, but he rushed himself trying to make time and it cost him in accuracy. His CZ also malfunctioned a couple of times...I don't think it likes my new 124gr cast bullet load. In my opinion that gun is a bit oversprung as well.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
new 124gr cast bullet

Nice runs at it, 92fstech and Noah.
Does his CZ eject those new 124gr cast bullet cases in a neat pile six to 8 feet away?

posted Hide Post
As often is the case, it's work before play. Felled and cut up 6 trees over the weekend, with 2 big ones.
19 inches diameter, 65 feet.

22 inches diameter, 55 feet. This one sucked -- 6 truckloads of branches.

Dick drill, ugh. Results didn't meet expectations. Used the Sig P6.
12.91 - 4 misses
11.53 - 2 misses
12.05 - 2 misses
12.02 - my only clean run (barely), pictured below
11.18 - 2 misses
11.01 - 1 miss
9.97 - 1 miss
10.19 - 1 miss
9.92 - 2 misses
11.03 - 1 miss

So many misses by 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Most common was a first low shot after reload on the left nad -- I thought it hung lower....

Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty good shooting for being timed. When the timer beeps, every step that’s not ingrained into my subconscious frazzles me. Ever since I started shooting, 2 1/2 years ago, I take every class that my range offers. I’ve gone through the seven week “Basic” class at least five times, getting a little better each time. Another basic class starts on 6/21 and runs for seven Wednesdays. After getting my red dot optic, it took me a while to figure out the vertical offset. A target that’s only 10’ away makes the offset very noticeable. In my classes, the targets are usually 10 to 15 feet away.

Yesterday I ordered a Sig M-17, CO2 pellet gun and optic. It’s basically identical to the P-320 that I used for the last class. I find dry firing practice to be boring, so this gun will let me practice in my basement. Being able to do more than just throw lead down range should help me to practice more often. You guys in this group are helping me a lot. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Although seriously dragging from ranch duties, I gave a run at a carbine drill from 2/13/2023. Starting at 7 yards, 3x5 card, 2 rounds in 2 mags, requiring reload. Move back one yard after each pair, until a miss occurs. Although I think I can reload a 223 AR15 mag faster than a Glock 9mm mag, I went with the lighter AR9G for the first go. This is more in my wheelhouse than pistols. Made only one run.

7 yards - 6.42 seconds
8 yards - 6.13
9 yards - 5.26
10 yards - 5.45
11 yards - 5.18
12 yards - 5.24
13 yards - 5.67
14 yards - 5.68
Then I realized why am I using the charging handle to chamber the round? The bolt release should be faster. Dipshit.

15 yards - 5.17 seconds
16 yards - 5.89
17 yards - 5.30
18 yards - 6.19 Ruh-roh, my vision issues are coming into play.
19 yards - 6.56 My last clean distance. This is for score.
20 yards - 7.34 seconds, with 2 misses. Ugh, neither shot felt good. Didn't bring the gun up well, then wobbled.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Fritz! That's a nasty tree....don't envy you dealing with that one. I don't mind the trunks...hate dealing with all that brushy stuff at the top. We had a huge tree come down at the gun club a couple of months ago...3 feet plus in diameter. I got as much as I could with my little 18" chainsaw, and the boys and I hauled truckloads to the burn pile. That was an exhausting day.

Nice work on the AR drill, too. I've been shooting a lot of handgun and milsurp rifles off the bench lately...I need to get the AR back out and put in some time.

quote:

Nice runs at it, 92fstech and Noah.
Does his CZ eject those new 124gr cast bullet cases in a neat pile six to 8 feet away?

Yeah, ejection was pretty uniform. There was a consistent pile when we were done, composed of stuff from my P320 and his CZ.

His gun was having feed issues with the ammo...basically stovepiping live rounds. It only happened twice but that was enough to screw up a couple of runs. I don't blame the gun...I'm sure it was the ammo, as I got these cast 124gr bullets for free from a friend and didn't do a ton of load development. The load I came up with works fine in my Berettas and Sigs, but in my experience CZs have always been a bit different to load for (which is part of the reason I got rid of mine...and then of course the boy wants one!).

I'm not sure if I'll end up getting any more of these bullets, so if not I'll be back to my normal 135gr powdercoated load, or if I do I'll just have to tweak the charge weight or maybe the OAL to try and get them to play nice with the communist gun. It's gonna be kind of a pain because the problem only manifests itself intermittently.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Gosh, fritz!

Could you hire one of these for a weekend?

It might save a lot of time and money in the long run.

Smile