SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Competition, Training and Regional Shoots    Sigforum "Postal Match"
Page 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 63
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigforum "Postal Match" Login/Join 
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! I thought it was going to be easy. That’s where I usually practice with my rifle. This is definitely a challenge.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Twenty five yards at outdoor range.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DBGarlikov:
Holy crap! I thought it was going to be easy. That’s where I usually practice with my rifle. This is definitely a challenge.

Hey now, I'm nicer than Richard...yeah, I'm making us shoot from 33% further away, but the targets are bigger and you're allowed to use BOTH hands Big Grin!

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today to do some stuff for the PX4 thread, and decided to do this first. In accordance with the rules, it was the first thing I shot so it was cold, with no warmup. I was tempted to use my full-size duty gun, red dot and all, but I figured that was not really keeping with the spirit of the challenge. I've been carrying the P320 subcompact quite a bit lately off-duty, so I decided to use that.

It went...badly. Official score for record 46/100. I threw a bunch high right, including a couple off-paper.

After shooting a number of other guns and drills, I decided to try it again with this thing, just to see if it was maybe due to starting cold, or just a fluke. Nope. Did even worse (tried a six-o-clock hold for the second attempt, which is why they all hit low).

I shot it with a couple of other guns, too, though, and in this case I think I can make a valid case that some of the fault lies with that accursed subcompact. This old full-size 92FS is the first gun I ever bought, is the basis for my username here, and it's been forever since I shot it...I literally had to dig 5 other guns out of the safe to get to it. No way can I claim this as a carry gun (although back in the day, I actually DID conceal carry this thing Eek!). But I'll be darned if it isn't the proverbial tack-driver! The only shot outside the scoring rings was my first shot, which I fired DA.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice 92FSwork, 92Fstech. Smile

Saturday, heavily rained out.

Sunday, ended up doing the outdoor chores I couldn't on Saturday. hoping for next weekend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DBGarlikov
posted Hide Post

The weather was really nice Friday, so my (every other Friday) shooting buddy and I were able to visit our favorite outdoor range for only the second time this year. I really liked this challenge because it was much shorter time-wise than some of the previous ones. I shot this cold with my P365 which is my regular carry gun. It isn't often that I carry unless I'm going into an area where I would be afraid to go without it. The target is unscored because I don't know how many points the bullseye is worth. My first two shots were spot on. It was all downhill after that. I shot again using my relatively new P320. That target was too embarrassing to show anyone. The challenge was fun and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Posts: 187 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: February 02, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice shooting, David!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes, great shooting, David!

Hits in the X count as ten points. "X"'s are used as tie breakers.
So, as it looks from here, that's three tens, a nine, two eights, and two X's.

Total: 55-2X

If another shooter had 55-1X, you'd have bested him by one X

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Shot it again this morning with my duty gun and backup.

88 - 1X with the Full-size P320

61 - 1X with the 640 Pro (two misses were just off the top left corner of the paper). Weirdly, I shot better with a DAO J-frame than my P320 subcompact Eek.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The full size 320 is consistently performing well in your hands.

The backup semi-auto vs. wheelgun disparity is interesting.

How do you figure it?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
The full size 320 is consistently performing well in your hands.

Chances are if I ever need to use one, it'll be that one, so it's the one that counts....which is why I always try to give it a run on whatever we're doing. It needs continued improvement.

I spent some time working on bullseye targets at 25 yards last night with the MkIV while Noah was shooting muzzleloader for 4H. Results were pretty encouraging...I wish I could do with the P320 what I can do with that.

quote:

The backup semi-auto vs. wheelgun disparity is interesting.

How do you figure it?

Not 100% sure. I have a couple of theories, though. The revolver a smooth rolling trigger, whereas the P320 hits a wall. It's a lot easier to jerk against a hard wall than a roller. I think that's part of it.

I also recently swapped to a small grip module on the P320 Subcompact for easier carry/concealability. I probably ought to throw the bigger one back on there and see if that improves things at all. Small grips leave a lot of play for my long hands....I know with the revolver the biggest problem I have is the gap between the area of my palm below the thumb and the left side of the frame...the geometry of my hand just won't let me lock that in and it leaves some space there, which resulted in the gun migrating high-left during the trigger pull.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Seems logical: with long rolling DA trigger, the shot is a proper 'surprise.'

With the hard wall building on the subcompact, your subconcious may be anticipating the recoil, muzzle rise, flash, and bang.

¡El Flincho!

(Maybe)

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd agree with that assessment. I swapped to bigger grip module in as well. Now just to get back to the range...

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do you still have your Kel Tec P32?

If so, try the ten round magazine. Wink

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you still have your Kel Tec P32?

If so, try the ten round magazine. Wink

No, that one is gone. Got used as trade fodder towards the 92X. It proved to be just too darn small. At 25 yards...with that grip, trigger, and those "sights"...I don't even want to think about it, lol.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Oh, I wasn't thinking about using in a 25 yard competition.

It does help me keep hits on an IDPA silhouette at fifty feet.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Noah put in his submission today with his CZ PCR. He scored a 44. He's still grouching about bullseye challenges, lol. He usually beats me on the timed stuff.

I shot it again with the P320 Subcompact, this time with the "medium" grip module. Things went much better. The one at the top right was my first shot (the joys of a cold start), and I dropped one right off the edge of the paper by the arrow at 5 o-clock...I felt myself shank that one. If I could have kept those two in, score would have been much better, but it's still much better than things went with that small grip module.

I had to try Noah's CZ, too. Stupid, stupid gun. I don't want to like it, but the dang thing just shoots, and it beat my score with every gun I've tried it with so far (90 - 1X). My own guns. That I shoot all the time. Mad

I don't want to get back into CZs...but dang if that thing doesn't temper my resolve.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Good work, but what's with all this racist CZ hate? Razz

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good work, but what's with all this racist CZ hate? Razz

Lol, I actually lived in Prague from '93-'02, so no racism from me! I actually bought one a few years back just because I wanted to have a Czech gun, but that one (an all steel 75D compact) just didn't really do anything for me. My son's PCR, on the other hand, solves a lot of the problems that one had. I don't need another carry gun, but I've been seeing some really great prices on Shadow 2s recently...

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ok, shot the match outside, 357 Sig P239.
First target for score , ten points. DOH! "combat" sight picture, not 6 O'Clock bullseye gun. LOL.
Second target 66 2-X.
Third, nine points, totally clueless, maybe pulled all left.

Fourth, 52 -1X, Fifth, 61 2-X, Sixth, and last, 44.