SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
People are overly critical on technical Details they dont understand. If they would dig a little bit deeper they will learn about the standards SIG and other manufacturers use to build their guns. The German TR, discussed in the current Glock topic is one of it. It is valid for the 320 also, so why should I worry about a test performed in a warehouse of a gunshop when I have a result form an independet testing facility. It´s lots of drama which I find amusing.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whether you should be worried or not is subjective.

Whether the test is valid or not is beyond contest.

If the pistol discharges when dropped or struck, then it discharges when dropped or struck. Period.

That it wasn't tested in this manner by existing protocol is irrelevant. The problem exists, whether it was discovered previously or not. Sig has admitted it, it's known, and a program is underway to address it. This is more than enough validation of the issue.

Whether it represents an existential threat to the future of your progeny is a question only you can answer. Most of us are content to continue using the firearms as intended. Some may not elect for the upgrade, others may. I'm undecided, as insufficient information is available.

As for the question of the validity of testing done by an independent facility: yes, it's valid. When the results are repeatable, the results are valid. In fact, that they are verified by independent sources lends greater credibility to the matter, and that Sig has stated the results are valid really ends any discussion to the contrary. All that remains now is to wait for the fix and the field reports thereof.

Will you accept independent reports after the upgrade is performed? Most of us wouldn't accept anything else.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Whether you should be worried or not is subjective.

Whether the test is valid or not is beyond contest.

If the pistol discharges when dropped or struck, then it discharges when dropped or struck. Period.

That it wasn't tested in this manner by existing protocol is irrelevant. The problem exists, whether it was discovered previously or not. Sig has admitted it, it's known, and a program is underway to address it. This is more than enough validation of the issue.

Whether it represents an existential threat to the future of your progeny is a question only you can answer. Most of us are content to continue using the firearms as intended. Some may not elect for the upgrade, others may. I'm undecided, as insufficient information is available.

As for the question of the validity of testing done by an independent facility: yes, it's valid. When the results are repeatable, the results are valid. In fact, that they are verified by independent sources lends greater credibility to the matter, and that Sig has stated the results are valid really ends any discussion to the contrary. All that remains now is to wait for the fix and the field reports thereof.

Will you accept independent reports after the upgrade is performed? Most of us wouldn't accept anything else.

Thats some eloquent writing.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2507 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
An email I just received from SIG.

Dear xxxxxx,

Thank you for successfully registering your P320 for SIG SAUER’s no-cost Voluntary Upgrade Program. It is our goal to keep you informed throughout this process.

We will begin sending information and labels required for returning your P320 throughout October and November. Shipping labels will go out in stages based on when each P320 was registered so you may not see yours immediately.

We would also like to take this opportunity to verify your return shipment information.

Keep in mind that we must have a physical residential address to return your firearm to you (no business or PO Box addresses will be accepted), and an adult over 21 years of age will need to be home to sign for the returned pistol.

The address that we have on file for you is:

Name: xxxxxx xxxxx
Address: xxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx
City, State, Zip: xxxxxxxx, xx xxxxx
Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxx

If this information is incorrect, please call SIG SAUER Customer Service at (603) 610-3000 and select Option 1, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m. EST and we will update your information.

Thank you for your patience while we prepare for this upgrade.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got home after a long sojourn away. On the way back to the house, stopped in at the favorite gunshop haunt, and what to my lack of surprise, but a plethora of great deals on P320's in the "used" counter...none of which had the slightest hint of use. I wanted a FDE Carry model with night sights and there it was, several hundred dollars less than the same pistol in the "new" counter a few feet away.

I enquired; it had been recently purchased, and then re-sold. The buyer sold it at a substantial loss, back to the same shop where he purchased it, due to his fears based on all the rumor-mongoring.

I couldn't leave that kind of a deal, so I added another P320 to the list and put it on layaway. There is a silver lining to all the panic, and that's some great deals on perfectly good firearms.

That said, I've received some excellent value purchases from some very fine and upstanding members of this site, sold via this site, who didn't want to deal with the hassles, and that's fine. I felt like the sale price was more than fair, and I completely understand their point of view. I couldn't believe how good of shape this FDE P320 was in the local shop. Unfired, straight off the "new" counter, from what it appeared, and what I was told.

There were others in the case...

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I got the same email...looks like they are finally getting to the civilians...

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Agencies are still waiting for the repair or replacement.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

Thanks for that. Mine is a law enforcement IOP gun and I was wondering about hearing that non-LEOs were receiving their upgrade emails when I hadn’t. (Not complaining, BTW, just curious about the status of things.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
When anyone gets info directly from Sig, or particularly when someone is actually able to ship their pistol, please post for everyone in the thread stickied at the top of this area.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night I was watching the news and I heard Sig Sauer and discharge. I said "Whoa, there!" and hit rewind. The story may be interesting to you and is relevant to this topic.

Here is what the news director of a local radio station said to me nhen I asked him far info:”Ch 2 did the story last nite .. Riverdale PD going to replace Sig Sauer duty weapons end of the year, tho that was to happen before an officer says his weapon accidentally discharged when he fell.”

There was video of a citizen saying the guns were unsafe and they showed video of the drop test discharge.

Sig P220R Match SAO .40, Sig P320 X5 9mm, Beretta 92 Combat .40

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pizzaman383:
Last night I was watching the news and I heard Sig Sauer and discharge. I said "Whoa, there!" and hit rewind. The story may be interesting to you and is relevant to this topic.

Here is what the news director of a local radio station said to me nhen I asked him far info:”Ch 2 did the story last nite .. Riverdale PD going to replace Sig Sauer duty weapons end of the year, tho that was to happen before an officer says his weapon accidentally discharged when he fell.”

There was video of a citizen saying the guns were unsafe and they showed video of the drop test discharge.

So if I understand:

1. Riverdale PD carries P320.
2. Riverdale PD is going to replace the P320 at year end for reasons having nothing to do with drop-discharge.
3. An officer fell and his P320 discharged. I hope there were no injuries.
4. Riverdale PD is going to replace the P320. Maybe sooner?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can take away from it whatever you want.

My take away was that there was another AD possibly caused by the P320 drop sensitivity and there is more publicity of the possible P320 safety risk.

That might change some people's decision about whether to get the fix.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pizzaman383:
You can take away from it whatever you want......

Given the chain of information...not much.

I presume you have done due diligence and will be kind enough to share the link to the Ch 2 report regarding the officer whose P320 discharged when he fell.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Which state is this Riverdale in? There's quite a few here in the U.S.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

It's next to the Shire.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:

It's next to the Shire.

Isn't that where Archie lives?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Thanks for that. Mine is a law enforcement IOP gun and I was wondering about hearing that non-LEOs were receiving their upgrade emails when I hadn’t. (Not complaining, BTW, just curious about the status of things.)

I have an IOP full size P320, and have put in for the upgrade, but not heard back. I expect it may be a while. Not in a rush.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not the one who’ve replace with another gun. Just saying.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corrected: Here is a link to a related story
P320 AD Riverdale GA

I found the video on wsbtv.com by searching for the title: “Video of gun dropping at certain angles concerns officers”