SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
The pistols that I shipped to SIG in the past were in their original cases, which were inside a cardboard box. SIG returned the pistols, in the original cases, upon completion of the work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
System is down again for an upgrade. Sig said to wait an hour and try again.

The URL posted at the top of this page still opens. Does it not let you submit your info?

Could not enter information using Microsoft Edge but when I tried IE it went right through and registered with no problems. CS said Google Chrome had a problem also. If you have IE you should be good to go.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'll wait a bit until after the initial rush. I've got plenty of other pistols that will serve until this gets cleared up. And Sig will of course get more efficient after the initial backlog.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rangerone:I assume that they do not want us to use the original case to put the P320 in and put that in a FedEx box.

That is exactly how I would presume they would want them shipped in

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
From Sig:

https://www.sigsauer.com/suppo...y-upgrade-program-2/

From the website:
quote:

Is my P320 safe in its current configuration?
Yes. The P320 meets and exceeds all US safety standards. However, mechanical safeties are designed to augment, not replace safe handling practices. Careless and improper handling of any firearm can result in an unintentional discharge.

Cover-your-butt legalese from SIG. This is likely so nobody goes out and shoots themselves in the kneecap with their P320 and demands a 7-figure settlement. . .

quote:
"Legally safe".

See, P320's are "legally safe". Now, they are not mechanically safe, mind you. But they are "legally safe".

More legalese BS.

Reminds me of the lawer statement about the shooting in Minneapolis where the cop (his client) shot the lady in the alley "when the woman *became deceased*." Roll Eyes

Am I really wrong in thinking that a modern, well-maintained firearm SHOULD NOT fire unless the trigger is pulled (regardless of what carelessness or buffoonery was involved)?

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I do think it annoying that the solution remains voluntary. Some numbnuts that can't even figure out which way the mag faces when he forces it into the magwell will end up seeing the 'voluntary' description and thinking that this is some overblown No Big Deal and will choose NOT to participate. And with my luck will be the noob in the next lane the next time I visit a public range.

Yeah, well...you can count me among those despicable "numbnuts" of which you speak. I for one will not be sending in my P320 for the voluntary recall/upgrade. I WILL choose not to participate. Indeed, as you have already intimated, I do think this is "some overblown No Big Deal." Can the average box-stock P320 fire if dropped just so onto a certain impact point of its slide? Yeah, probably. Is the likelihood high that my own personal P320 will ever make that journey? Well, no actually. You see I'm not in the habit of regularly tossing my loaded fireams around willy-nilly, and I'm certainly not in the habit of doing it at a particular angle onto a particular surface and/or smacking the back of my pistol's slide with a 12 lb. sledgehammer with enough force to crush a soup can. Those sorts of maneuvers are just not in my typical list of things I'm going to do with my handgun on a given day, which usually only comprise mundane things like shooting them, cleaning them, placing them in a holster, and walking around with them securely in said holster on my person. If this "voluntary upgrade" comprised nothing more than a lower mass trigger and a few stiffer springs, I'd consider it. But re-machining the FCU and the slide for a new ad-on disconnector? To me that sounds too much like the P320 version of; "Send us your old unsafe Series 70 1911 and we'll send you back a new, improved, WAY BETTER Series 80 1911 with an improved firing pin safety and 6 different new and exciting parts that might fail at a critical moment, complete with craptastic trigger!" No, thank you very much. One of the things that pushed me to purchase a Sig P320 was its innovative and simple design, along with its excellent trigger. I'm certainly not going to swap all that out now for a "safer," more complicated, and untested alteration of the design just because a handful of folks figured out a way to semi-reliably get more likes on Youtube. Now, don't get me wrong; as a "noob" who only has several years of law enforcement experience under his belt (a handful of which were spent as an actual firearms instructor if you can believe that!), you are definitely right to be worried about my presence on your beloved public range with my obviously unsafe, drop-fire prone P320. But then again, even if I didn't have my P320 with me I'd probably be shooting my Series 70 Colt 1911, or old model Ruger single action, in which case you'd be in just as much danger if not MORE! Roll Eyes

Posts: 127 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3/4Flap:

SIG has officially entered a new term into the firearms lexicon:

"Legally safe".

See, P320's are "legally safe". Now, they are not mechanically safe, mind you. But they are "legally safe".

So we've got that going for us.

Everything is worded to cover their butt. You can bet their lawyers are going over everything with a fine tooth comb, given the ongoing lawsuit.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I entered my serial number. Lo and behold, mine falls in the "law enforcement" category.
News to me! They will catch up to me later. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both of mine are LE models too, although I'm not a LEO. It's a long story ...

But here's my question: the slide is part of the fix, as I understand it. I have two FCUs, four grip frames, and three slides. I can assemble two complete pistols using the FCUs, and I assume it doesn't matter which grip frame I mount them in.

But what do I do with the third slide? It will need the upgrade if I want to use it with the upgraded FCUs, right?

EDIT TO ADD: Never mind -- I answered my own question by reading further back in the thread. SIG thought of that one.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
But here's my question: the slide is part of the fix, as I understand it. I have two FCUs, four grip frames, and three slides. I can assemble two complete pistols using the FCUs, and I assume it doesn't matter which grip frame I mount them in.

But what do I do with the third slide? It will need the upgrade if I want to use it with the upgraded FCUs, right?

EDIT TO ADD: Never mind -- I answered my own question by reading further back in the thread. SIG thought of that one.

Which begs other questions:
1: If the slides also need to be updated, will the updated CALX kits get a different part number? I'm sure there are a lot of those kits out there on shelves. So if you go to buy one in the future, how will you know if it's compatible with your updated FCU?

2: If you do buy a CALX kit and it's not updated, will SIG update it gratis or will it be on the buyer's dime?

3: I'm also sure there are a lot of P320's on shelves that will be sold over the intervening months. How can one tell if the P320 listed at a dealer's web site is updated or not?

I think things will eventually work themselves through. But the interim period could have a lot of confusion.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
System is down again for an upgrade. Sig said to wait an hour and try again.

The URL posted at the top of this page still opens. Does it not let you submit your info?

Could not enter information using Microsoft Edge but when I tried IE it went right through and registered with no problems. CS said Google Chrome had a problem also. If you have IE you should be good to go.

I used the Opera browser and worked just fine.

USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) Bremerton WA.
Sig P938/238 Equinox
Sig P320C RX
Colt Mustang XSP FE

Posts: 50 | Location: Southeast NH | Registered: March 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question here, and I admit I didn't read all 59 pages of this forum, mainly the last five. But according to the test video I saw they said the flat and glock-like trigger wouldn't fire when dropped. So is it possible just to get the flat trigger installed instead of the upgrades? I was an owner of a Springfield XDs when their recall fiasco happened. It was a cluster. Pistol sucked when returned 4 months later so I'm a little jumpy.
As a side note, I work at a gun shop and management decided to pull all the 320's off the shelf until they're fixed. Bad timing since all gun sales are down. Thanks Sig.

You can get a long way with a smile. You can get a lot further with a smile and a gun. (Al Capone)

Posts: 234 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcharvat:
quote:
Originally posted by soggy_spinout:
I do think it annoying that the solution remains voluntary. Some numbnuts that can't even figure out which way the mag faces when he forces it into the magwell will end up seeing the 'voluntary' description and thinking that this is some overblown No Big Deal and will choose NOT to participate. And with my luck will be the noob in the next lane the next time I visit a public range.

Yeah, well...you can count me among those despicable "numbnuts" of which you speak. I for one will not be sending in my P320 for the voluntary recall/upgrade. I WILL choose not to participate. Indeed, as you have already intimated, I do think this is "some overblown No Big Deal." Can the average box-stock P320 fire if dropped just so onto a certain impact point of its slide? Yeah, probably. Is the likelihood high that my own personal P320 will ever make that journey? Well, no actually. You see I'm not in the habit of regularly tossing my loaded fireams around willy-nilly, and I'm certainly not in the habit of doing it at a particular angle onto a particular surface and/or smacking the back of my pistol's slide with a 12 lb. sledgehammer with enough force to crush a soup can. Those sorts of maneuvers are just not in my typical list of things I'm going to do with my handgun on a given day, which usually only comprise mundane things like shooting them, cleaning them, placing them in a holster, and walking around with them securely in said holster on my person. If this "voluntary upgrade" comprised nothing more than a lower mass trigger and a few stiffer springs, I'd consider it. But re-machining the FCU and the slide for a new ad-on disconnector? To me that sounds too much like the P320 version of; "Send us your old unsafe Series 70 1911 and we'll send you back a new, improved, WAY BETTER Series 80 1911 with an improved firing pin safety and 6 different new and exciting parts that might fail at a critical moment, complete with craptastic trigger!" No, thank you very much. One of the things that pushed me to purchase a Sig P320 was its innovative and simple design, along with its excellent trigger. I'm certainly not going to swap all that out now for a "safer," more complicated, and untested alteration of the design just because a handful of folks figured out a way to semi-reliably get more likes on Youtube. Now, don't get me wrong; as a "noob" who only has several years of law enforcement experience under his belt (a handful of which were spent as an actual firearms instructor if you can believe that!), you are definitely right to be worried about my presence on your beloved public range with my obviously unsafe, drop-fire prone P320. But then again, even if I didn't have my P320 with me I'd probably be shooting my Series 70 Colt 1911, or old model Ruger single action, in which case you'd be in just as much danger if not MORE! Roll Eyes

Probably dont wear a seatbelt either? Probably don't carry off duty? I mean you arent planning on getting into accidents and gunfights right?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I carefully plan all my accidents weeks in advance, too. . . Roll Eyes

I think it is a safe assumption that the LEO who had his knee messed up due to a *defective* (holstered) weapon didn't plan to do so.

I guess only idiots have accidents, right?

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the trigger in the military P320s isn't affected, why don't they put that design in the civilian ones? That way Sig just has to make one version of the P320.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
If the trigger in the military P320s isn't affected, why don't they put that design in the civilian ones? That way Sig just has to make one version of the P320.

Pretty sure that's the plan.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I for one will not be sending in my P320 for the voluntary recall/upgrade. I WILL choose not to participate. Indeed, as you have already intimated, I do think this is "some overblown No Big Deal." Can the average box-stock P320 fire if dropped just so onto a certain impact point of its slide? Yeah, probably. Is the likelihood high that my own personal P320 will ever make that journey? Well, no actually. You see I'm not in the habit of ...

I understand and appreciate your position. In fact I agree with you to the point that I've not quarantined my P320 in the safe until it can be "upgraded" and I'm going to wait to see some results of the "upgrade" before I decide whether or not to send it in. Like you, I also forwent sending my venerable Old Model Single Six Convertible in for the "safety conversion." (If it was just the transfer bar, then, maybe...) Back when it was my only handgun I even carried it in a holster in the woods with six in the cylinder. (Holster has a retention strap.)

But here's the deal: While I don't intend to ever drop my P320, and I think the odds very low that I'll ever drop it in just a certain orientation, onto a firm enough surface, to provoke the drop-fire: It could happen. And if it did, and I, or, worse, somebody else were in the path of the discharge, well...

So if, once the smoke has cleared I find the results of the "upgrade" acceptable I will send mine in for the upgrade. Unlike my Single Six (which I no longer carry): My P320 is a self-defence firearm, it is handled regularly (daily), and it is carried on occasion.

If I don't like what I see resulting from the upgrade: I'll reconsider my options at that point. One of which might be sending it in for the upgrade, selling it and replacing it with something else.

Sig's solution to this problem I agree does sound "busy." It is not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'll get mine registered and wait.

In the meantime, I'm going to quit my morning routine of hitting the slide with a hammer or dropping it on concrete just to prove a point. Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You see I'm not in the habit of regularly tossing my loaded fireams around willy-nilly, and I'm certainly not in the habit of doing it at a particular angle onto a particular surface and/or smacking the back of my pistol's slide with a 12 lb. sledgehammer with enough force to crush a soup can. Those sorts of maneuvers are just not in my typical list of things I'm going to do with my handgun on a given day, which usually only comprise mundane things like shooting them, cleaning them, placing them in a holster, and walking around with them securely in said holster on my person.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think your fellow officer in Stamford Ct might disagree with your assessment of his irresponsible gun handling.

http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id...s-Gunmaker-Sig-Sauer

You see, no matter what your position on the issue, to claim that "tossing firearms around willy-nilly" or hitting them with a "12 lb. sledgehammer" is a GROSS oversimplification of the issue people have been discussing here.

Posts: 331 | Location: OH | Registered: September 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
You see I'm not in the habit of regularly tossing my loaded fireams around willy-nilly, and I'm certainly not in the habit of doing it at a particular angle onto a particular surface and/or smacking the back of my pistol's slide with a 12 lb. sledgehammer with enough force to crush a soup can. Those sorts of maneuvers are just not in my typical list of things I'm going to do with my handgun on a given day, which usually only comprise mundane things like shooting them, cleaning them, placing them in a holster, and walking around with them securely in said holster on my person.
Who drops a handgun on purpose? No one I know.

I'm not sure what point you're making with this. You're just as prone to accidents as the rest of us. You're a police officer? In my opinion, your concern about this issue should be greater than those of us who don't walk around with a pistol on our hip in plain view of some people who hate us. You might have the world's most secure retention holster, but you can still drop your pistol, alone or in a struggle.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post