SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread)
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 89
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Drop Safety in Question (Formerly DPD Recall thread) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RX-79G:

That's a long post about the choice of one word.

Why not just stick with simple name calling for the personal attacks? It's less typing.

It's a long post about your inaccuracy and incorrect statements.

I elected not to engage in name calling as there was no personal attack. You've spent nearly 30 pages rambling on and clearly take it extremely personally (you don't really own a P320, do you?). It's evident to most that you are here to argue, and that's your stake in your game.

This matter will be addressed in public by Sig in five days. Will you still be arguing until you're blue in the face then, or will you run out of steam, first? This really is a passion of yours, isn't it?

Nearly forgot...you've solved all the internet firearm problems before anyone else and you're doing it now for us...because you're an aircraft mishap investigator.

Funny thing is, you sure don't behave as one.

Was that a personal attack?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In 1944 a Smith & Wesson Military & Police .38 fired when dropped on a naval vessel's deck, killing a sailor. The Navy demanded that the susceptibility be corrected.
The story goes that a S&W design team, led by Mr Wesson himself, redesigned the hammer block over the weekend and put it into production as soon as tooling could be modified. In addition to all new production, late 1944 to date, they were able to recall 40,000 revolvers for retrofit in the middle of a war.
Of course there were hundreds of thousands of deployed revolvers and older commercial models not affected. It is now usually recommended that a S&W with pre-1944 hammer block (or pre 1917 rebound only without any hammer block) be treated like a SAA and left with the chamber under the hammer empty.

Does this mean you should carry your pre 8/14/17 P320 in "Condition 3"?

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, enough. No one who is reading this thread wants to wade through a bunch of bickering.

RX-79G, you have made your feelings known and you need to take a break for a while.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of X5Allround
posted Hide Post
quote:
That company, SIG USA, SIG Arms, SIG Sauer US, has little experience with gun design. Most of their work as been in designs borrowed or adapted, or simply old Swiss or German designs reformatted. But there are no Swiss or German pistol design teams still active.

Sig Sauer GmbH has been rehiring people and ramping up production. Where did you hear that they have no design people anymore?

My understanding is that some relocated to USA in the late 2014, early 2015 time frame, but nowhere near all of them.

The last pistol designed in Eckernforde was the P226 LDC II introduced in March 2016. Furthermore, Eckernförde has an R&D department lead by Bernd Wille. You could ask him whether he has just an empty desk in front of him or if he has a team to work with?

Posts: 744 | Location: Finland | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pblanc:
quote:
Originally posted by lmacrichter:
I love my FS P320 and have not had any problems with it although I have never dropped it either. I have not had time to read 34 pages of post so can someone tell me, is there a problem or not and if so is Sig working on a fix? This is the sweetest shooting gun I own and is now my go to weapon so it would be nice to know one way or the other. Thanks in advance for any help/answers you might have.

I will try to answer your question. In the last couple of weeks there has been a raft of videos demonstrating P320s that drop discharge primed empty cases when dropped at a specific angle. The angle apparently has to be muzzle up with the bore axis 30 degrees off the vertical. Some of these videos have shown pistols going bang on the first or second try when dropped from only 3 to 4 feet. When dropped in this manner, both the beaver tail of the grip module and the back of the slide impact the floor simultaneously.

When this happens, the inertia of the trigger itself causes the trigger to continue towards the floor, passing through the relatively light "take-up" stage which is enough to disengage the striker block safety. The impact is also sufficient to cause enough sear bounce to release the pre-tensioned striker and fire the pistol.

Tom Taylor, Executive Vice-President of Commercial Sales for SIG has gone on record saying he knows of three ADs that occurred in the law enforcement market in the last year, and a fourth that occurred in the civilian market, although the last was not "formally reported" to SIG. One of the LE related incidents was undoubtedly that of a Stamford CT police officer now suing SIG for 6-7 million dollars over an injury to his leg sustained when his holstered P320 discharged (allegedly) when dropped to the pavement this January. All of the four occurred in the last year. Taylor was quick to point out that this is out of about a half-million pistols sold.

In response to these videos SIG has done their own testing and confirmed that there is a potential for the P320 to fire when dropped at this specific angle. They are going to offer what they have called a "voluntary trigger upgrade" or "safety enhancement", not a recall. It will involve a reduced mass trigger shoe, a modified and lightened striker and sear, altered sear housing geometry, and a trigger disconnect safety that disengages the trigger bar if the slide is out of battery.

It has not yet been announced whether SIG will cover the cost of these modifications, or whether they will cover shipping. Apparently per SIG, current P320 production has been shut down and will be turned over to modifying P320s. More details about the "voluntary upgrade" are supposed to be forthcoming from SIG on Monday August 14th.

So is there a problem? Well, IMO it has been pretty convincingly demonstrated that a SIG P320 has a fair chance of discharging when dropped at this specific angle. What the risk of that happening I think everyone needs to judge for themselves.

Thanks for explaining the situation. Knowing the quality of Sig guns I really hope they step up and fix this at their cost. They are not the most expensive gun out there but they are not cheap either. I can't afford to buy something since I just bought this one 2 weeks before all this came to light. I thought if the military was going to change to this gun all the testing that was needed had been done.

Posts: 207 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Glocks latest face book post is a direct shot at Sig p320

I guess the loss of the military contract still hurts

The comments are heavily against GLOCK doing this

https://www.facebook.com/GLOCK...ts/10155577433031797

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah they did. The comments are like watching a blind kid whipping a baby seal. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Glocks latest face book post is a direct shot at Sig p320

I guess the loss of the military contract still hurts

The comments are heavily against GLOCK doing this

https://www.facebook.com/GLOCK...ts/10155577433031797

Lol. Well Sig fired the first shot in their press release. Actually Sig has been taking shots at Glock with a lot of their marketing since the release. That picture Rhino posted off their website has a couple in it. Of course that is normal in marketing campaigns but you can't attack a brand and say you don't need the same shit to be safe and then expect them to not fire back if you end up being wrong.

Don't start none, won't be none. Wink

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
The whole video is showing why the Agency Arms modifications are dangerous.

The Agency Arms minimalist mag well is very well made and very functional on Glock pistols.

I use OEM factory parts for the internals, only changing the connector to a (-) minus connector. The pistol functions as designed and as intended.

Fair enough. I should have wrote "why some of the Agency Arms modifications on that pistol are dangerous", which is what I really meant.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Some quick math tells me that to do this 'P320 upgrade', it will cost SIG between 10 and 40 Million bucks, if they absorb the whole cost, depending on how many are returned.

We'll see if they try to defray that a bit by having the owners chip in for shipping, etc.

I guess Ron can kiss his end of year bonus goodbye.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Sig wants a viable business after this mess they better just offer everyone a free no charge no questions upgrade. Anything less is suicide.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Some quick math tells me that to do this 'P320 upgrade', it will cost SIG between 10 and 40 Million bucks, if they absorb the whole cost, depending on how many are returned.

We'll see if they try to defray that a bit by having the owners chip in for shipping, etc.

I guess Ron can kiss his end of year bonus goodbye.

I was wondering about what the per unit cost was going to be for Sig. 10 million seems to be on the low side. I am sure Sig is running these numbers and trying to figure the least expensive way to fix all these guns.

I would hope Sig is also weighing the costs of passing the expenses on to the customers. If they expect the consumer to pay anything (including shipping), that is not going to help solve this issue.

I'm sure lawyers on both sides of this are hard at work going over the details.

Posts: 221 | Location: USA | Registered: May 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Another failed test, with the mallet. The gun is upright, I don't think trigger momentum plays into the discharge. I know some may discard the mallet use but the force used isn't all that much. Just food for thought.

https://youtu.be/veI5NsDqG9E

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My rough math goes this way.

Bulk Round trip Shipping - $30 per unit
Bulk Repair Parts - $20 per unit (WAG)
Labor - say 2 hours total from customer initiating recall / upgrade process, SIG getting shipping setup, receiving, inventory, movement of the weapon site, repair, testing, and return shipping process - maybe $20 per hour (?), so $40 total (another WAG).

So that give me $90 per weapon. Half million weapons --> $45Mil

I gave the $10M as the low side if people say my cost estimates are high and only half of the people return for 'upgrade', i.e. $11.25M

That doesn't take into account labor, equipment, testing, etc to create the fix, nor any replacement parts / effort for caliber conversion kits, nor time lost having those people not available to make new weapons to sell.

Anyway you cut it, that is a lot of cheddar.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As far as the per unit cost for SIG, firstly, BOO-frickin-HOO if they have to shell out some dough to fix a problem.

In essence, an established firearms mfgr with guvmint contracts is a fucking money tree. They can take the hit.

At worst, they'll come out looking like what, HK?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get on topic, fanboy.

I carry a Glock. I take great pains not to drop it, and it hasn't discharged spontaneously or exploded in a massive fireball, taking out entire city blocks.

Then again, neither have any of my Sigs.

I am afraid of neither, and will wait for Sig's "upgrade" offering before I worry that the sky might fall.

quote:
Originally posted by indigoss:
Another failed test, with the mallet. The gun is upright, I don't think trigger momentum plays into the discharge. I know some may discard the mallet use but the force used isn't all that much. Just food for thought.

https://youtu.be/veI5NsDqG9E

Doesn't really matter if it's a hammer bumping the pistol or some other object. It's clear that the pistol can be discharged, and Sig has noted this with their own testing.

The web is ripe with a plethora of videos now of people doing the same thing in one form or another, bent on beating that deceased equine until only a bloody pulp remains. In five days, Sig presents their fix and their press release. I'm content wait the few days and listen to what they have to say. It's being addressed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
As far as the per unit cost for SIG, firstly, BOO-frickin-HOO if they have to shell out some dough to fix a problem.

Oh, I don't feel bad for them.

$45 Million is money well spent for SIG to win the Facebook Meme war with Glock. Big Grin

Just makes me believe that this 'upgrade' wont be 'free' to the customer.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
As I recall, Springfield had a recall not too long ago and it collapsed the value on those pistols even though they were repaired and fully functional.

I see this as a golden opportunity to finally pick a 320C up for substantially under the outrageous $600 they are charging for them.

There is a silver lining to this.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I agree that they should offer a no questions asked free upgrade. I have a really modified FS and I'm pretty sure they won't touch it, which is a shame for me.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
So, I guess France won't want a P320 contract?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post