SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 ... 562
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
G43x purchased yesterday and successfully range tested yesterday evening. Cleaned and going on CCW duty tomorrow.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one of those little guys showed up on an email from a LGS at a good price so...

I 're-homed' it.

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^They are hard to beat. Congrats.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Picked up this Blue Label 43X a week ago, interesting frame difference from the one above. There was a 43X in the same case with MOS and Nite sights for $130 more. Passed on that and didn't notice if it was US or Austrian made with the rail.
My trigger digit doesn't play well with Glock OEM triggers, so the Overwatch Precision Poly was installed

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Hold up! You can get a 43X with a rail now? What rock have I been living under?

ETA: Checked the website. Looks like it's MOS only.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Hold up! You can get a 43X with a rail now? What rock have I been living under?

ETA: Checked the website. Looks like it's MOS only.

Great now I need a MOS 43X Big Grin

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
The G43x seems to me to be the perfect size for ccw. I just need a set Heine Sights for the little beast.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
The G43x seems to me to be the perfect size for ccw. I just need a set Heine Sights for the little beast.

My 43X MOS has quickly replaced my G-19 as my off duty carry. I tossed in some Shield magazines, so at 15 rounds, I have the same amount as the G-19. I'm still looking at RDS' and sights for it.

Even with the RDS and the 15 rd metal magazine, the size and weight is perfect!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
You may want to get a steel mag release if using those Shield magazines. It seems they will eventually abrade the polymer release.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may want to get a steel mag release if using those Shield magazines. It seems they will eventually abrade the polymer release.

Does anyone have any real world testing on this internet claim, how many times does it take to wear out the release, 3, 15, 150, 1500? Have a couple of Shield mags for the 43/48 and would really like to know...

Most of us don't take their 43's to the range for extended use in match shoots, maybe a mag or two for practice from time to time.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

Does anyone have any real world testing on this internet claim, how many times does it take to wear out the release, 3, 15, 150, 1500? Have a couple of Shield mags for the 43/48 and would really like to know...

Most of us don't take their 43's to the range for extended use in match shoots, maybe a mag or two for practice from time to time.

I do. Let me dig up some pictures and I'll follow up.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Divil- Got them. I got the 3 mags and the release package. Love them so far, and not a problem at all.
**The only thing I wish it that the company let you choose what color mag release & base plates... Meh.. not a huge deal.

Mike- I dont have the exact #, but sooner or later that plastic rubbing on the metal; the plastic is going to loose. This is one of my EDC guns, so I'm not willing to try it out. That being said, I don't worry about using a G-43X mag as a back-up / spare.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Good deal.

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had a G43X w/ aftermarket aluminum alloy mag catch (Tyrant Designs if you must know). When Shield Arms first released their mags, they recommended installing any metal mag catch. After a few months, they had to revise their recommendation, b/c any metal isn't good enough. It needs to be steel.

In my case, I noticed severe wear on my aluminum mag catch after about 300rds or so. It was still holding the mags in place, but the mags were seating lower. When you looked at the mag baseplate, you could see it hanging ~1.5mm lower than normal beneath the mag well. I didn't have any feed problems - yet - but I knew the set up was going to fail soon, so I replaced the mag catch.

I would expect a polymer mag catch to wear faster than an aluminum one.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I had a G43X w/ aftermarket aluminum alloy mag catch (Tyrant Designs if you must know). When Shield Arms first released their mags, they recommended installing any metal mag catch. After a few months, they had to revise their recommendation, b/c any metal isn't good enough. It needs to be steel.

In my case, I noticed severe wear on my aluminum mag catch after about 300rds or so. It was still holding the mags in place, but the mags were seating lower. When you looked at the mag baseplate, you could see it hanging ~1.5mm lower than normal beneath the mag well. I didn't have any feed problems - yet - but I knew the set up was going to fail soon, so I replaced the mag catch.

Ok the other question was, how often are you changing mags, is the use level like a match or the occasional range trip that induced the wear on the Aluminum one.

I'm running the Shield mag and stock release but it's not a range toy, and mag changes are infrequent at best, cleaning and oiling occasionally, maybe two trips to the range.

Swap between the shield and stock Glock mags since I have one Shield and several stock Glock mags. Wouldn't the steel release tear up the stock Glock mags.

If so, then sounds like one needs to commit to full time Shield mags or glock but not both.

Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yes, good rule is steel to steel or polymer to polymer. I use only shield mags and mag catch in my 43x and 48. The OEM mags typically will wear and most importantly will not seat correctly with the shield catch.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:

Ok the other question was, how often are you changing mags, is the use level like a match or the occasional range trip that induced the wear on the Aluminum one.

I'm running the Shield mag and stock release but it's not a range toy, and mag changes are infrequent at best, cleaning and oiling occasionally, maybe two trips to the range.

Swap between the shield and stock Glock mags since I have one Shield and several stock Glock mags. Wouldn't the steel release tear up the stock Glock mags.

If so, then sounds like one needs to commit to full time Shield mags or glock but not both.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I do not own any shield mags nor have I any experience with aftermarket mag catches on Glocks so if the question is stupid just bear with me.

When does the where occur? Is it during recoil and operation of the gun causing the mag to shift to and fro slightly or is it during mag changes?

I ask because if it is during mag changes could the issue be mitigated for those who are either using the plastic catch with steel mags or vice versa by holding the mag button in during a range reload, therefore mitigating the normal rubbing that occurs and simply releasing the button after insertion?

I realize this is a JUST FOR THE RANGE kind of thing but if it is for say once in a while use of the stock mags with a steel catch it seems this might mitigate a lot of the issue.

Again purely academic question as I don’t own a gun that uses Shield mags nor am I likely to but curiosity and all

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine there's really all that much wear happening on the magazine during reloads no matter how gently or forcefully one does them, and certainly not in any way that compares to the battering that juncture of parts undergoes during recoil. Again, also speaking academically because I owned a G48 for a bit, but never owned Shield mags, or even shot the gun.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I do not own any shield mags nor have I any experience with aftermarket mag catches on Glocks so if the question is stupid just bear with me.

When does the where occur? Is it during recoil and operation of the gun causing the mag to shift to and fro slightly or is it during mag changes?

I ask because if it is during mag changes could the issue be mitigated for those who are either using the plastic catch with steel mags or vice versa by holding the mag button in during a range reload, therefore mitigating the normal rubbing that occurs and simply releasing the button after insertion?

I realize this is a JUST FOR THE RANGE kind of thing but if it is for say once in a while use of the stock mags with a steel catch it seems this might mitigate a lot of the issue.

Again purely academic question as I don’t own a gun that uses Shield mags nor am I likely to but curiosity and all

Cslinger, I cannot speak to your question from experience as my 43x w/ shield magazines has a steel mag release. I can tell you about what happens to my daughter while shooting her G26, the magazine will move up/down/left/right as the slide strips off a round. This has caused a painful condition for her as I pinched her finger. This movement of the magazine due to contact with the slide is my SWAG as to the cause of damage.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

***Im going to assume***
It's 3 times - the pulse of the recoil is going to make that plastic mag move ever so slightly against the metal release.
More so when you depress the mag release, that's when the most movement is occurring, then when the mag is removed & inserted- the plastic again rubs against the metal.