SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 36
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Female basketball player breaks the law in Russia, but have no fear- Sheila Jackson Lee is DEMANDING her release Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
She says she is spending her time reading Dostoevsky. She does not look like the intellectual type to me. I think a better reading selection would be Kafka.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Reading” it is different than understanding it.
Bet “her” lips move while reading it.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
The player should’ve been required to watch Midnight Express.

And FWIW, at what point did this this rocket surgeon say to herself, "self, you know what would be a grand idea? Let’s import drugs into a foreign country, they won’t do anything to us if we get caught."

Now she gets all of her orifices checked whenever the guards decide she might not be cooperating. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Now she gets all of her orifices checked whenever the guards decide she might not be cooperating. Wink

Ewwww. That's a job I wouldn't want.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's been playing overseas for over 7-years, most of that time in highly restricted societies such as China and Russia, where a 6'9" athletic women is going to be treated like an exotic exhibit at the circus, albeit a well paid one. With 7-years of int'l travel, she should've known better but, when your life if full of exceptions to the social norms, pretty easy to not read the room as things evolve.

Posts: 14569 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't ever seen dogs sniffing bags on a domestic flight. As long as you get through TSA and don't have any liquid container bigger than 3oz / 10 ml then you are OK. I've had my stuff randomly swabbed to look for chemical residue but that's for explosives.

International flights with bags going through customs is different. As long as you get through TSA you can board. But what the arriving country does varies. Sometimes nothing, sometimes X-ray the bags as you go through customs, and I've seen people get searched. I've also had the chem residue check upon entering the terminal (not at security). They randomly check people for that in China.

U.S. Customs is usually just a walk through without inspection since I have Global Entry. If they X-ray or have dogs sniff the checked bags before the baggage claim then maybe they might find something like this. I always carry on so checked bags are rare for me, only if I absolutely have to bring a bag that is too big to carry on. That's happened like once or twice. I've seen people getting bags searched and being admonished by the customs officer for the contraband - usually food and seeds that are not permitted to move between countries.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I hope the America-hating bitch never comes back.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I haven't ever seen dogs sniffing bags on a domestic flight.

I have. Go to PDX, go through security at the "E" gates. There is often a federal dog there that will sniff you but mostly your bags as you walk by.

I joke with my wife that the dog is obviously not looking for Canibis or the thing would go crazy since it's Portland. Half the people would have Canibis scent on them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
She says she is spending her time reading Dostoevsky.
I hope it's printed in Russian. It appears she will need to start learning the language given her extended stay.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
I haven't ever seen dogs sniffing bags on a domestic flight.

I have. Go to PDX, go through security at the "E" gates. There is often a federal dog there that will sniff you but mostly your bags as you walk by.

I joke with my wife that the dog is obviously not looking for Canibis or the thing would go crazy since it's Portland. Half the people would have Canibis scent on them.

Denver too.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Hold your head high, Brit! Nothing to be ashamed of!

Oh, wait...

Brittney Griner seen (well, sorta) for first time since Russia arrest, pre-trial detention extended

You weird, America-hating bitch. They can keep you.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
With the NBA logo on her sleeve too.

She’s getting special treatment, sadly.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a jumpman logo aka Nike Air Jordan (Michael Jordan)

I cant wait till they say how this picture is reminiscent of how slaves were shackled.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Is that fungus growing on the bottom of her dreads?

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
quote:

That is a jumpman logo aka Nike Air Jordan (Michael Jordan)

I cant wait till they say how this picture is reminiscent of how slaves were shackled.

Oh, something which costs more than NBA prisoner orange?

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
She thought she couldn't get any lower than the WNBA.

Congratulations.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nSOhk69DVjw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Great song.

I had the 8-track.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Russia is possibly offering an exchange to release convicted arms trafficker nicknamed "Merchant of Death"

Lets see if they are more concerned about decriminalization of drugs or the war on guns.

Possible exchange offer

For the first time since Brittney Griner’s arrest almost three months ago, Russia appears to have publicly signaled its asking price for her safe return, if multiple reports by Russian state media are to be believed.

Russia is looking to exchange the WNBA star in a prisoner swap for notorious convicted arms trafficker Viktor Bout, several state-owned Russian news outlets reported Friday, citing unnamed government sources.

Bout, whose exploits earned him the nickname the “Merchant of Death,” flooded fierce conflicts in Africa and the Middle East with weapons, U.S. authorities say. He was arrested during a sting operation in Thailand in 2008, extradited to the U.S. and sentenced to 25 years for conspiracy to kill U.S. citizens, delivery of anti-aircraft missiles and providing aid to a terrorist organization.

After Bout’s arrest, the U.S. alleged that his Russian allies tried to block his extradition from Thailand to America by bribing key witnesses to give false testimony. Since his 2012 conviction, Bout has been at the top of Russia’s prisoner exchange wish list and has been linked repeatedly in the Russian state media with potential swaps involving jailed Americans that haven’t come to fruition.

U.S. ambassador to Russia John Sullivan visited Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow on Wednesday, but the State Department did not disclose what they discussed. A spokesperson for the State Department declined comment to Yahoo Sports on Friday when asked if negotiations for Griner’s release were underway and if Russia was seeking a trade for Bout.

“Due to operational and privacy concerns, we are unable to discuss specific details,” the spokesperson said.

While one Russian state media report quoted an unnamed source who described a potential Griner-for-Bout exchange as “likely,” experts in Russian diplomacy viewed that skeptically. William Pomeranz, a professor of Russian law and the acting director of the Kennan Institute, told Yahoo Sports that he interprets the reports as a signal that “Russia really wants to make that trade” but cautioned that they give no indication of the U.S.’s willingness.

“This is Russia saying, ‘Wouldn’t this be a great idea?’” Pomeranz said. “This isn’t the U.S. saying they’re interested. We’ve had other opportunities to get rid of Viktor Bout in the past and we haven’t done it.”

Griner has been behind bars since Feb. 17 when she flew into a Moscow airport and Russian customs officials allegedly found vape cartridges containing hashish oil in her luggage. She is under investigation for the large-scale transportation of drugs and faces up to 10 years in a Russian prison if convicted.

Griner appeared at a hearing in a courtroom outside Moscow on Friday and had her pre-trial detention extended by a month. Photos taken at the hearing show Griner leaving the courtroom handcuffed, the hood of an orange sweatshirt pulled over her head and her signature dreadlocks peeking out.

Last month, the U.S. and Russia completed a prisoner swap despite deteriorating relations between the two nations. Trevor Reed, the former Marine who the U.S. says was wrongfully detained in Russia for almost three years, came home in exchange for Konstantin Yaroshenko, a Russian pilot convicted of drug trafficking.

The release of Reed leaves at least two Americans in Russia who the U.S. classifies as wrongfully detained: Griner and Paul Whelan, another former Marine sentenced to 16 years on spying charges. Their cases are now in the hands of the Office of the Special Presidential Envoy for Hostage Affairs, which focuses on negotiating the release of American hostages and others deemed to be wrongfully detained in foreign countries.

A 1-for-1 exchange for Griner could be especially unpalatable for the U.S. if Russia insists on Bout in return. Bout is a far more notorious figure than Yaroshenko, having inspired Nicolas Cage’s character in the 2005 movie “Lord of War.” Bout’s arms trafficking history also makes the allegations against Griner appear minimal by comparison.

Former top Pentagon official Evelyn Farkas hopes the Biden administration explores all options to get Griner and Whelan home, but she points out there is a downside to prisoner exchanges.

“This is the kind of situation that we want to avoid,” said Farkas, the executive director of the McCain Institute, “because the Russians will continue to seize Americans as trade bait if we agree to such swaps.”

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post