SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Why does my dentist and the hygienist have a surgical mask on during a procedure?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
Why does my dentist and the hygienist have a surgical mask on during a procedure?

'cause your breath stinks.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
.They're doing it here. Fire and LE gets notification and anyone testing positive gets served official quarantine paperwork.

Exactly. It has been permitted (as an exception) as long as the law has been in effect. It is not a bad thing to protect the first responders (and others) who need to know, so Congress recognized that as an exception.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:

your so wise

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:

your so wise

Uhhh, dude.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
To HELL with HIPPA says Tennessee. Eek

The TN health Dept is reporting daily the names of persons testing positive for the Virus to Fire, Police and Sheriff agencies. Gov Lee (A republican no less) was defending it.

WTF over.

Well, you tried. Not even close. Way too many lay lawyers on here. Have you even read HIPAA (not HIPPA)? It permits this type of disclosure.

Thanks, corrected typo, and got educated on the law to boot!

So if you refuse to list anyone and give no one access to your personal info, when presented the HIPAA form, they can still share it? For example with your neighbor, a volunteer fireman? Yea, that seems fine.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Well now, shit's getting interesting down in Denver (Five Points, in particular...).

Someone setup a robot voice loudspeaker with a message shaming people for not staying inside, using colorful language too. Take a minute and listen to the audio, it's in the linked article here.

(I can't embed it otherwise I would.)

So dystopian and weird. Goofy fuckers.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:

So if you refuse to list anyone and give no one access to your personal info, when presented the HIPAA form, they can still share it? For example with your neighbor, a volunteer fireman? Yea, that seems fine.

Doesn't work that way. It is not a HIPAA form; the information might come from the EMS run sheet, or hospital admission form, or doctor's office visit and test results, where you have already given your information.

Also, they don't just call up people and say 'guess who has COVID-19.' It will be, if anyone, people who respond to that address, deal with the person, etc.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Ok, I've saved this story for a little over a week and think now might be a good time to share it since many here could use a bit of levity.

Let me set this up for you. I went to Publix for some groceries. I did not wear a mask or gloves or a Tyvek suit. The last place in the store I always visit is the produce section. While sorting through the tomatoes looking for a couple good ones (don't know why Publix produce sucks so bad), a rather short and portly lady in her 40's (I assume) and wearing a mask and rubber gloves wobbles quickly over to me. This is the dialogue that occurred...

Lady: Do you have to touch every goddamn tomato in the bin?

Yes, people have lost their GD minds, and according to my neighbor, I'm a very bad man. Smile

Yep. This mask and social distancing SHIT is really screwing us up as a society unfortunately.

My sister in North Jersey told me over the weekend that she walked out of her house with a bag of trash to put in the can at the curb, and apparently her neighbor was out doing the same. Mind you they are like 30 feet away from each other yet this neighbor actually jumps back, glares at my sister, mutters something under her breath and pulls her shirt up over her mouth and nose.

It’s going to be years until we are past all this BS. Frown

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
White House Orders West Wing Staff to Wear Masks

But we all (well, at least us non-epidemiologists) know that masks don't do anything at all. Why would Trump be doing that then?

Who knows?

But you got your shot in at Trump, yay for you, our resident ORANGE MAN BAD member. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
White House Orders West Wing Staff to Wear Masks

But we all (well, at least us non-epidemiologists) know that masks don't do anything at all. Why would Trump be doing that then?

Who knows?

But you got your shot in at Trump, yay for you, our resident ORANGE MAN BAD member. Roll Eyes
. Why is that a slam towards our President?

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Lady had home made masks for sale at the Flea Market Sunday. Blue UK masks and a way cool red Trump mask she wouldnt sell. That was so cool.

Posts: 17901 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How was WH comment a dig at PDJT? I assumed he meant WH would not be using them if they weren't somewhat effective?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania is really getting bad with this stuff in having a dictatorial crazy Democrat governor.

We are on this silly color-coded by county system for re-opening: red/yellow/green

King Wolf has 2/3 of the state locked down on red phase with no end in sight, it’s pretty clear by now his game is to keep us locked down until the election or later. Several counties in the red have announced they are rebelling and not waiting on King Wolf to give his blessing for reopening businesses. Some of them have had very few cases and even fewer deaths yet he has them locked down tight.

Just today King Wolf announced that he is bringing the full weight of his power to bear against these rebel counties, and will be utilizing the Pennsylvania State Police, insurance commission, liquor control board, and health department to shut them back down, pull their insurance and licenses etc.

I get the impression he is in a competition with tyrant Gretchen Whitmer in who can act more brutally in running their state with an iron fist.

I’ve got a friend who’s a Realtor who was shut down by King Wolf on March 19 and not permitted to work, and she cannot get unemployment because the Pennsylvania system is so broken right now. If this goes on much longer she’s going to lose her home and everything. He shows no interest in allowing realtors resume doing their jobs and selling homes, the only state in the entire country right now doing this.

I saw this tonight from a state representative that gave me some hope, I think people are beginning to reach their breaking point and we are going to be looking at overthrowing this out of control Governor by impeachment:

quote:

PA State Representative Ryan Warner:

Governor Wolf, how dare you have the audacity to call anyone a coward. Cowardly? My man, you don’t even have the COURAGE to openly answer questions from the press. Instead, you cower behind a staff member who filters and then asks you the questions. Let me remind you sir, you are not the supreme ruler of Pennsylvania. Do you want to know why sheriffs, district attorneys, municipalities, counties and businesses across this commonwealth are defying your orders? It’s because this is the United States of America pal, where the people have the voice. Whether it’s 1776 or 2020, we are not ruled, nor will we EVER be ruled, by one man- and especially not by one man who doesn’t even have the courage to openly face the media.

Cowardly? Not addressing the people who are now going eight weeks without a paycheck because of the complete failure of a system that you and your department are directly responsible for is cowardly. Hiding your secret business waiver list until you were forced to disclose it by a subpoena is cowardly. Consulting with governors from other states rather than consulting with the elected officials of your own state is cowardly, and then calling out those very same elected officials who you chose to ignore, rather than work with, is flat out insulting. As I’ve said before, you’ve granted yourself unprecedented powers and you expect to take minimal responsibility for all that’s at hand. Instead, you blame and threaten those who try to make a difference….and that sir is the definition of a coward.

We are two months into your disaster declaration and at this point I’d like you to give me one reason why you still need to be making unilateral decisions and bypassing the legislative process? I think it is well beyond the time that this General Assembly runs the resolution that removes your power and restores it rightfully back to the people of this great commonwealth.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The Risks - Know Them - Avoid Them 5-5-20

excerpt:

Where are people getting sick?

We know most people get infected in their own home. A household member contracts the virus in the community and brings it into the house where sustained contact between household members leads to infection.

But where are people contracting the infection in the community? I regularly hear people worrying about grocery stores, bike rides, inconsiderate runners who are not wearing masks.... are these places of concern? Well, not really. Let me explain.

In order to get infected you need to get exposed to an infectious dose of the virus; based on infectious dose studies with MERS and SARS (and this one), some estimate that as few as 1000 SARS-CoV2 viral particles are needed for an infection to take hold. Please note, this still needs to be determined experimentally, but we can use that number to demonstrate how infection can occur. Infection could occur, through 1000 viral particles you receive in one breath or from one eye-rub, or 100 viral particles inhaled with each breath over 10 breaths, or 10 viral particles with 100 breaths. Each of these situations can lead to an infection.

How much Virus is released into the environment?

A Bathroom: Bathrooms have a lot of high touch surfaces, door handles, faucets, stall doors. So fomite transfer risk in this environment can be high. We still do not know whether a person releases infectious material in feces or just fragmented virus, but we do know that toilet flushing does aerosolize many droplets. Treat public bathrooms with extra caution (surface and air), until we know more about the risk.

A Cough: A single cough releases about 3,000 droplets and droplets travels at 50 miles per hour. Most droplets are large, and fall quickly (gravity), but many do stay in the air and can travel across a room in a few seconds.

A Sneeze: A single sneeze releases about 30,000 droplets, with droplets traveling at up to 200 miles per hour. Most droplets are small and travel great distances (easily across a room).

If a person is infected, the droplets in a single cough or sneeze may contain as many as 200,000,000 (two hundred million) virus particles which can all be dispersed into the environment around them.

A breath: A single breath releases 50 - 5000 droplets. Most of these droplets are low velocity and fall to the ground quickly. There are even fewer droplets released through nose-breathing. Importantly, due to the lack of exhalation force with a breath, viral particles from the lower respiratory areas are not expelled.

Unlike sneezing and coughing which release huge amounts of viral material, the respiratory droplets released from breathing only contain low levels of virus. We don't have a number for SARS-CoV2 yet, but we can use influenza as a guide. We know that a person infected with influenza releases about 3 - 20 virus RNA copies per minute of breathing.

Remember the formula: Successful Infection = Exposure to Virus x Time

If a person coughs or sneezes, those 200,000,000 viral particles go everywhere. Some virus hangs in the air, some falls into surfaces, most falls to the ground. So if you are face-to-face with a person, having a conversation, and that person sneezes or coughs straight at you, it's pretty easy to see how it is possible to inhale 1,000 virus particles and become infected.

But even if that cough or sneeze was not directed at you, some infected droplets--the smallest of small--can hang in the air for a few minutes, filling every corner of a modest sized room with infectious viral particles. All you have to do is enter that room within a few minutes of the cough/sneeze and take a few breaths and you have potentially received enough virus to establish an infection.

But with general breathing, 20 copies per minute into the environment, even if every virus ended up in your lungs, you would need 1000 copies divided by 20 copies per minute = 50 minutes.

Speaking increases the release of respiratory droplets about 10 fold; ~200 copies of virus per minute. Again, assuming every virus is inhaled, it would take ~5 minutes of speaking face-to-face to receive the required dose.

The exposure to virus x time formula is the basis of contact tracing. Anyone you spend greater than 10 minutes with in a face-to-face situation is potentially infected. Anyone who shares a space with you (say an office) for an extended period is potentially infected.

This is also why it is critical for people who are symptomatic to stay home. Your sneezes and your coughs expel so much virus that you can infect a whole room of people.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I doubt Sam's Club will take up this position as Walmart tends to not alienate customers, IIRC.

The Sam's Club I go to has been requiring masks for the past month.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is that a slam towards our President?

You're right. It was a slam against all of us non-epidemiologists who don't want to wear a mask.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Dudes, this thread becomes useless when it's just various members bickering back and forth.

And given how fucked up all of the normal news sources are, it's extra annoying here and now...

Please stop.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Dudes, this thread becomes useless when it's just various members bickering back and forth.

And given how fucked up all of the normal news sources are, it's extra annoying here and now...

Please stop.

Well we are three months into this thing with pretty much no real information and people watching their livelyhoods or savings destroyed over what for most is a shiity cold to death with no real reason for why it affects some worse than others (save for age and health problems). People are both frustrated and concerned about their loved ones and themselves.

With no new information it's just a circular firing squad. Total shit sandwich.

Life eventually needs to move on, this stagnation is unhealthy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I know, Jesse.

It sucks.

So let's do our best to let this particular thread, this one little oasis of a corner of the internet, remain a place where we can discuss the issue and share relevant information without the same damn drama and noise that's in the other 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the internet. (Me complaining about it included).

Relish this place and this thread for what it's not... and endeavor keep it that way.

A place of facts, reasoned discussion, nearly no drama, yadda yadda, not a perpetual this: