SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I think we will see a more regionalized type of response in the coming days/weeks. A triage with factors such as population density, infection rate, icu availability.

NY/NJ is going to be bad. Other areas not so much.

Quilette

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Dallas County has deemed that gun stores are essential business and will remain open. Gun sales up 500%. Gun stores in N. TX remain open.
Wish the damn ranges were open.

Gun stores and liquor stores still open. We good.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Don't know the details because I only saw a snippet on the local "news," but one of the hospitals in the Metro-Detroit area has closed its emergency room because it's out of capacity to prepare for the expected Covid-19 case influx.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, in bad times, one thing is certain, and that's that people are gonna wanna have something to drink or to smoke.

Posts: 109053 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Don't know the details because I only saw a snippet on the local "news," but one of the hospitals in the Metro-Detroit area has closed its emergency room because it's out of capacity.

Not surprising. A lot of inner-city hospital ER’s are at or near capacity in normal times it just doesn’t make the news.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Tom Hanks survived 4 years on an island as a castaway.

He spent a year in an airport without being able to leave.

Caught Aids in Philadelphia.

He was in WWII and rescued Private Ryan..

He went to Viet Nam and rescued Lieutenant Dan

Was on a boat kidnapped by Samoli Pirates.

Survived Apollo 13 trying to reach the moon.

Landed a Boeing jet on the Hudson River.

He's made it known that he does not like President Trump. With all his experience, if that son of a bitch dies of Corona virus we are all screwed. Hard to feel sorry for another liberal Hollywood celebrity.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wasn't it an Airbus?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16906 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
yeah, they are projecting around 214 million "cases". I will be looking at the recovered cases and we certainly are not first in deaths.

214M globally? Or are we talking 66% of the total US Population?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Wonder why retail cashiers aren't dropping like flies?

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Because most of them are not 80-years old.

Posts: 1847 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

Several hours later, he kneeled over.

The(n) they moved the “best” patient to the step down and him to the bed. He survived

And skeptics say prayer doesn’t work.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

Wasn't it an Airbus?

Yes, an A320.

Posts: 9256 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Major groceries around here are installing barrier shields in front of cashier's. Self checkout is very popular.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38205 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Maybe Para's comet (or asteroid) actually is coming?

Let me state very clearly that this was a dream. Something that my anxious mind conjured up while I was asleep. Something that would be every bit of a John Grisham novel, or the movie Deep Impact. It made me laugh, so I thought I would share it.

In my dream, I somehow stumbled across the international conspiracy on COVID-19. And that conspiracy was that COVID-19 was a cover story for an asteroid that was going to impact the earth soon.

The powers that be knew the asteroid would impact the earth, but they did not know what region; North America, Europe, Asia? They knew it would wipe out much of the life in area that it struck, but the other side of the planet would be able to push through and survive.

They also knew they could not announce that an asteroid was going to hit, that total pandemonium would ensue. So they created COVID-19, a worldwide pandemic, to get people to return to their homes and stock up on essential supplies.

I recall that I was fighting to find out of COVID-19 was just made up, or if it was a man made pathogen released for just this purpose.

No idea what the outcome was, because I woke up thinking, "WTF was that?!?"

Maybe I need to cut back on the wine before bed.

Posts: 2349 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Was just listening to Dr Deborah Birx speaking and answering questions about coronavirus. She is very impressive.

she did make reference to the story from Daily Mail. She said there is a disconnect between some of the modeling and what is being measured.

She said there are counties that have very light impact of the virus. There seems to be a constant suggestion of selective area specific lightening of the constraints.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
yeah, they are projecting around 214 million "cases". I will be looking at the recovered cases and we certainly are not first in deaths.

214M globally? Or are we talking 66% of the total US Population?

US. That's more of a worst case scenario when coupled a greater than 1 percent cfr. Over the next year it will probably become endemic beyond the initial surge. It will because part of the flu vaccine and hospitals will become more prepared.

Posts: 3595 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
do you honestly think there is absolutely no middle ground? Unless you completely eliminate all contact between people, a virus will spread at exactly the same rate?

I'm saying that shutting a nation down and grinding the economy to a halt is not now and never will be in the foreseeable future the way to handle a virus. Transmitting a virus is old as time itself. Just because a few thousand folks have died from it, we didn't need to stop the world from turning. Hell, it's probably going to end up biting us in the ass for many years to come The first week of quarantine everyone is at home making new fuck trophies. Week 2 will roll around and those same 2 individuals making bacon last week will probably find that they can't stand each other and file for divorce after the all clear, thus further breaking down the family unit.

The clearest solution to me is to keep on trucking as if today were any other day and practice "common sense" hygiene procedures Big Grin . That little jab at the end was for the gun grabbing trolls that prowl this fine establishment, but I am totally serious about living life. Don't live it in fear because before you realize it, death is there waiting anyway.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
For the most part, Australians are just shrugging shoulders, foraging for toilet paper and stocking up on alcohol and cigarettes.

You know, just in case those become non-essential items, right?

While the phrase "she'll be right, mate" prevails, many are just now starting to wonder if Australia should close down the international border now, and the states and territories close the borders. Only returning state residents that type of travel restrictions.

Here in Victoria, schools are closed.
In NSW, schools are open.
In Qld, borders closed, schools open.

Easter is just two weeks away - Good Friday April 10th. For some, this is usually the week long holiday, combined with school holidays.

Families travel. For others, it becomes a two week break.

Now what will transpire?

Again, I'm not the doom and gloom guy.
Wrong person. Just stating my observations and opinion. Matters not in the schema of life.

In times of global crisis and turmoil, many will look to their religious tome for guidance and comfort.

A friend of mine, nowadays in PA, studied at Yeshiva Mishpat Tzedek. He shares this with me, and I with you.

The Gemara (Bava Kama 60) states that when there is an epidemic, one should go into hiding.

The Ben Ish Chai (Ben Yehoyada) adds that when there is a virus spreading around, it is better to run away.

Leaving town is not applicable right now, but the idea is very relevant to us.

Why does he recommend leaving town?
Because when there is an epidemic going around, the fear and panic that ensues, harms the person, and actually brings him to be ill.

Because a person who fears the disease, becomes vulnerable to the disease.

Thanks for reading, stay strong, be safe all.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
How is it that our health care professionals have been caught flat-footed regarding protective equipment?
All I have heard about for weeks is how low our supply is on stuff like face masks, etc.
I posted this in the President Trump thread, but it should have gone here as well...

Report: Obama Admin Depleted Stockpile of N95 Masks, Never Restored

https://www.breitbart.com/poli...asks-never-restored/

The GOOD NEWS is that corporate America (you know...that CAPITALISM that EVERY Demoshit and Leftard HATES with a passion) is stepping up to the plate. Mike Lindell of "My Pillow" fame was on Mike Gallagher's show yesterday. He made the announcement that his ENTIRE facility has been re-tooled to manufacture N95 masks for use by Healthcare Professionals. They can mass-produce up to 40,000 masks PER DAY!!!

Where is that "LIKE BUTTON"???? Big Grin

Since I'm a YUUUUUGE fan of Prager's, I thought I'd embed Cookster's Youtube link. Yup...It is RARE that Dennis gets totally IRATE. But this is it, and I believe he has just cause! It is a "MUST LISTEN"...

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
You guys have no idea what is about to happen. No idea.
JHC, dude. You're either off your meds or you took a crash course on how to become a Master Troll.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Why are we arguing about the Wuhan?
It's new.
And it's politically convenient as a way to trash the economy...
...and President Trump. Just sayin'...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Didnt even take a day. Didnt even take two hours. USA now passes China and Italy for first place.

550 PM eastern update

USA 82,179 cases
China 81,285 cases
Italy 80,589 cases

You realize that for every person that tests positive without an equivalent death on the other side just makes our point, right? It's simple math...100 in 5 out is bad (but fine from a statistical standpoint. 5 in and 100 out though is something that may cause some alarm, though one should be very conservative in their interpretation of the data because 90 of those 100 may have already been on the way out anyway.

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post