SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I read that Hawaii is still adamant about lockdown and says don't come. Not gonna be a problem for me.

Not gonna be a problem for me, either.
But tourism is just about the entire economy of Hawaii. Of course they'll be looking for a handout from Uncle Sugar.

I was supposed to be surfing last month there. I rebooked for October and I'm fucking going if I have to wear a biohazard suit on the plane.

I'm still pissed off looking at our county stats. 1.035 million people and something like 1047 reported or confirmed cases. That is .001 of our county population. Fuck you politicians, open up the got damn gyms and shit. I'm ready to go to the water park too (season pass) so I can train for surfing in the wave pool and stare at ass all day! Covid deez nuts!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
CDC Now Says Chinese Flu Does Not Spread Easily Via Contaminated Surfaces

https://www.foxnews.com/health...ontaminated-surfaces

Ya don’t say.

Not sure I would believe anything the CDC says. I have always assumed that foreign surfaces are contaminated in some way/shape/form - I just don't panic over it.
You're missing the point. Fauci and crew told us that the bug can live on surfaces for hours and infect people. Now the CDC (i.e. a government agency people will listen to because, its a government agency) says something to the contrary. Both of these teams are supposedly on the same side of the equation, but they're sending conflicting info. So tell me once again, what is an 'expert', and why should we listen to any of them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the statement about the virus living on surfaces for a long time come from WHO and that it came from a Chinese study? That was sometime in early March I think.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
CDC Now Says Chinese Flu Does Not Spread Easily Via Contaminated Surfaces

https://www.foxnews.com/health...ontaminated-surfaces

Ya don’t say.

Not sure I would believe anything the CDC says. I have always assumed that foreign surfaces are contaminated in some way/shape/form - I just don't panic over it.
You're missing the point. Fauci and crew told us that the bug can live on surfaces for hours and infect people. Now the CDC (i.e. a government agency people will listen to because, its a government agency) says something to the contrary. Both of these teams are supposedly on the same side of the equation, but they're sending conflicting info. So tell me once again, what is an 'expert', and why should we listen to any of them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the statement about the virus living on surfaces for a long time come from WHO and that it came from a Chinese study? That was sometime in early March I think.

Jim

The study came from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Hamilton MT and was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...fr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
The study came from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in Hamilton MT and was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Which is, BTW, Dr Fauci's organization.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
So tell me once again, what is an 'expert', and why should we listen to any of them?

As far as these losers, an expert is more properly spelled ex-spurt, and is a past tense, high pressure water leak. There is no why. The correct answer is that you should not listen to any of them. You should gather your own information, make your own decisions, and live your life in a way that you feel adequately balances the risks and rewards. This is the last darned thing that the lefties want to see happen of course. Sigh...

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:

Which is, BTW, Dr Fauci's organization.
Thank you gentlemen for posting that info. You beat me to the punch. Long story short, we're being scammed by these morons at every turn, hence the reason I'm no longer listening to any of them, most notably that Fauci character.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Point of order... If the point of wearing a mask is to contain the virus ridden spewage that could potentially infect others, why do we have to social distance?

Isn't the point of social distancing to stay 6' away so uncontaminated
spew can't reach you?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Haven’t been out of the house much, as I am working from home.

Typically don’t pay much attention to what other drivers are doing.
But, today got behind this car going very slow and when I came beside her, there it was 1 person in the car, driving with her mask on and latex gloves.

Thought it was just hyperbole, drivers alone with mask and gloves, but nope there she was.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]

Jim[/QUOTE]

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/...fr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phase 2 of ‘reopening’ will start 5:00 PM on Friday here in NC. However, our governor ‘Dad’ Cooper has decided we haven’t met enough of our metrics to open all of the locations originally present in the phase 2 plans. Restaurants can open with 50% capacity, but bars, playgrounds and gyms cannot. Just nonsense. I would not want my doctor to take my blood pressure after the past few weeks. She’d be pissed at me for sure.

Posts: 423 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: April 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the statement about the virus living on surfaces for a long time come from WHO and that it came from a Chinese study?

Jim

Don't quibble. Its a chinese virus. They created it so they should know!

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
If the point of wearing a mask is to contain the virus ridden spewage that could potentially infect others, why do we have to social distance?

I don’t know of any responsible and knowledgeable authority who claims that simple masks of any sort are perfectly effective at stopping the spread of the disease. If they were, other measures and more comprehensive personal protective equipment wouldn’t be used by medical personnel and researchers in high risk situations. Somehow or another COVID-19 is spreading, even in places where masks are in common use. (And now, of course, the claim that it can be spread by contact with contaminated surfaces is being challenged, so what does that leave? Osmosis? Little tiny Mongols using catapults to throw the viruses into our mouths and noses?)

Asking why people should wear masks if they aren’t totally effective at preventing the spread or contracting the disease is like asking why police officers should wear body armor when it’s not totally effective at preventing death or injury from gunshots. “Yeah, it’s okay for me to take no precautions against getting shot because I have this vest.” Roll Eyes
Who would think such a thing?

The “6 foot” rule is also a compromise. It’s well established that coughs and sneezes can project mucus and saliva droplets containing viruses farther than 6 feet, but many will not go that far. Unfortunately, most people tend to fixate on things like even numbers rather than understanding that they are efforts at establishing reasonable guidance rather than being hard guarantees. Do we think that the recommended distancing in Europe is 1.8288 meters? Do we believe we should be worried if we are 71 inches from a sick person, but okay if it's 73"?
Just as the sensible LEO will not only wear an armor vest but also utilize good cover in hopes of surviving a gunfight, following more than one recommendation about disease control can enhance our chances of not contracting it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the statement about the virus living on surfaces for a long time come from WHO and that it came from a Chinese study?

Jim

Don't quibble. Its a chinese virus. They created it so they should know!

Ha, true enough. I wish I could remember where I heard that but it was early on. Hell I can't remember what I had for breakfast half the time. Smile

Jim

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I feel bad for the owner, especially since he's trying so hard, but I would not be the least bit interested in dining out under those conditions.

Agreed, and I live close to 30 Main, but we will definitely not be dining there...

Posts: 913 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned a couple times that I had the flu twice in January. One of the flu bouts I woke up sick, went to the doc in a box rather than work, and they gave me tamiflu even though my flu test was negative (Doc surmised I got in there too soon for sufficient viral load). The symptoms lined up with COVID-19 and it lasted much longer than any previous flu I have had.

I got frustrated with not knowing so last Saturday I had blood drawn for COVID-19 anti-body testing. Today, I learned the COVID-19 antibody test results were negative so I must've had both flu strains in January. I'm disappointed as I was hoping I had already beat it. I'm in a normal risk category so not a big deal either.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p226gsd:
Phase 2 of ‘reopening’ will start 5:00 PM on Friday here in NC. However, our governor ‘Dad’ Cooper has decided we haven’t met enough of our metrics to open all of the locations originally present in the phase 2 plans. Restaurants can open with 50% capacity, but bars, playgrounds and gyms cannot. Just nonsense. I would not want my doctor to take my blood pressure after the past few weeks. She’d be pissed at me for sure.

This jerk-off Cooper will delay as long as he can. But, I guess we have been lucky that he hasn't been as bad as many of these other petty tyrants.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off topic, possibly, but I notice that Turner Classic Movies has been running a lot of Asian themed / located movies the last few weeks. Tonight is a good example.
China / entertainment biz connection, maybe?
Putting on a good face?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Considering some of the roles, I'm not sure of that. A lot of them wound up being tales of Americans returning to Japan after WWII or old thrillers where the Chinese are vamps, thugs, or vamping thugs.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Mississippi church destroyed by arson was suing city over safer-at-home order

Investigators found graffiti on pavement in the church parking lot that reads, “Bet you stay home now you hypokrits (sic)."

Easter Sunday, Police had Shutdown Church

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
WTF?

'Power' to 'plunge a needle into your arm': Dershowitz says forced vaccinations are constitutional

A top lawyer who defended President Trump during his Senate impeachment trial believes the Constitution grants the government "power" to vaccinate citizens against their will.

Speaking with Crowdsource the Truth host Jason Goodman over the weekend, Harvard professor Alan Dershowitz said the public's safety outweighs any private liberty concerns of U.S. citizens who do not wish to be vaccinated for the coronavirus.

"Let me put it very clearly, you have no constitutional right to endanger the public and spread disease, even if you disagree," he said. "You have no right not to be vaccinated, you have no right not to wear a mask, you have no right to open up your business."

Goodman interjected to clarify whether Dershowitz was saying the federal government has the ability to mandate vaccinations for all citizens.

"Absolutely," Dershowitz replied. "And if you refuse to be vaccinated, the state has the power to literally take you to a doctor's office and plunge a needle into your arm."

The lawyer said that U.S. residents don't have a right to infect others and that if they wish to opt-out of vaccination, they could be given an alternative in which people rejecting the state mandate could remain in their homes permanently so as not to risk infecting others.

"That's what a democracy is about," he said. "If the majority of the people agree and support that, for public health measures, you have to be vaccinated, you have to be vaccinated. They should give you an alternative. The alternative is to live in your home, don't get vaccinated, but never ever leave your home or live in a bubble. But if you want to interact with other people, you cannot become Typhoid Mary. The Constitution doesn't give you the right to spread your illness to other people."

Dershowitz argued that healthcare workers and officials forcibly vaccinating the public through a legislative and judicial process that comes to a consensus on widespread vaccination is the best defense against the spread of disease.

On Friday, President Trump announced "Operation Warp Speed," which, in part, created a vaccination initiative with a stated "goal" of producing 300 million coronavirus vaccines by January 2021.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/HEYvpg2XkOc

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post