SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, I couldn't possibly disagree more.

One thing I can say about Alan Dershowitz from listening to him for many years (and reading him, too. "Taking Liberties" is on my bookshelf) is that he doesn't give the impression of a man saying some thing merely because there's some profit for him or advantage to him. He believes what he is saying, and he doesn't have a bad track record for a leftist, so I am always willing to hear his point of view. In this instance, though, I just can't see his logic.

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Dershowitz had to swing back toward the liberal slant sooner or later... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And, far be it from me to correct the good professor, but the United States is not a democracy. The United States is a constitutional republic, and the majority does not always rule.

Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Put a needle in my arm against my will? Don't think so!

Posts: 1222 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Dershowitz is not a leftist, but a civil libertarian. (Aka: Classical liberal.) There's been no "swinging back." He's always been a civil libertarian/classical liberal. Leftists aren't liberal. They're anything but. Hell, modern-day conservatives are generally more liberal than leftists.

I'll have to watch the video to catch his reasoning, but, on the face of it I expect I'll disagree with it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Para. Dersh has always been out there, he was right on supporting Trump but I still think he's crackpot. Probably only supported Trump to be a rebel.

What does Rand Paul have to say? He appears to me to have a better grasp of the constitution than most and I'll be disappointed if he isn't against this.

I do not recall a choice on the polio vaccine though. If you were in school that day you got it and I was. it was 1958 or 59 somewhere around then. I remember a shot in the shoulder that left a small scar and then a sugar cube a year or two later so maybe precedent has been set. Not apples to oranges though because polio was real and this is politics.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There is no middle ground, speaking in terms of political ideology. There used to be. It's been gone three decades, perhaps a little less, but it's gone, that's for sure. You're on one side or the other. Professor Dershowitz is on the left. He's closer to the middle than most leftists but he has schmoozed with the ultra-liberal academic crowd for decades. He's one of them, or at least he used to be until they kicked him out of the club for trying to speak the truth.
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I'm with you Para. Dersh has always been out there, he was right on supporting Trump but I still think he's crackpot. Probably only supported Trump to be a rebel.
I think he's very far from being a crackpot, but that academic echo chamber he developed in, well that would screw with anyone's sanity. Anything's possible, but if it turns out that the man is an opportunist or a nut, he's done a superb job of concealing it.

posted Hide Post
I am not sure if Dershowitz knows himself. He has been a long running commentator on nearly every subject imaginable. He certainly sounds more intelligent that the typical dolts that are interviewed.

Although I have issues with his politics, I did rather enjoy Ted Koppel on Nightline. I think he just became too cerebral for the American public who preferred casual late night television. Tom Synder was another hoot from back in the day.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I feel bad for the owner, especially since he's trying so hard, but I would not be the least bit interested in dining out under those conditions.

Agreed, and I live close to 30 Main, but we will definitely not be dining there...

We must be neighbors, then.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Today I received an invite from a very good friend in regards to staying at their cabin this weekend.

I accepted. Moments later I received this.

We will have some rules. You are not allowed to touch anything in the kitchen area (sink, fridge, micro, etc).

You have exclusive use of the bsmt BR and bathroom. There will be hand sanitizer at the front & back doors and we will all use it whrn going thru those doors. Masks must be worn by everyone inside if we are sharing the same small space.

No mask req'd outside so long as 6' distance is maintained. I think we can manage it in a way that we can be safe and still enjoy being here.

I sent a note back and politely declined the invite letting them know I would look forward to seeing them when they felt more comfortable having guests in their lakehome.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ Wow. I wonder if these people will ever come to terms with how ridiculous they are.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I sent a note back and politely declined the invite letting them know I would look forward to seeing them when they felt more comfortable having guests in their lakehome regained control of their sanity.
I think that might have been my more blunt response. I'll say it yet again...People have lost their goddamn minds over this bug.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Ronin, I wonder how many couples declined before he got to you, and how many more he has left in his phone book? Wow.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sent a note back and politely declined the invite letting them know I would look forward to seeing them when they felt more comfortable having guests in their lakehome.

I wouldn’t have been so polite.

My wife attempted to set up a dinner thing with friends of ours we haven’t seen in months who have young kids like us. She was putting out feelers to see if they would possibly like to get together and eat dinner on the patio at our house while the kids played in the yard. The wife of the other couple sends this response back about how she would be interested but also told my wife that her kids would not be permitted to play with any toys or on any outdoor playset equipment that our kids have touched. Naturally my wife got offended and told her we can wait until she feels the world is safe. I guess we won’t be doing anything with them for a long time, if ever, again. Confused

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People's true colors are being reveled.

With all the rules, I'm surprised they want to be around anyone, other than their own shadow. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for you man. I abstained also from a similar invite. The rules weren’t as draconian but they were also lame with stated cleanings every morning we must all chip in and do and maintain our distances somewhat. And truth be told I wouldn’t have gone anyways without the virus. These 3 day weekends I like to just stay home because it’s a shit show here. 5pm on Friday it’s like NYE with the traffic, lines, people just losing their minds. I’d love to go to the lake and join but even without the mandatory cleaning chores every morning the lake is a shit show this weekend as well as Labor Day weekend. People just get smashed and act like ass holes.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Let the politicians take the vaccine first

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/B3xY6Ffy_wE

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

You were a hell of a lot more polite than I would have been. I woud have told them to shove their invitation and their cabin up their ass.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Sikh religion is interesting…

“NEW DELHI (AP) — At first, the kitchen at the Bangla Sahib Gurdwara cooked 40,000 meals each day for the hungry who live on the streets of India’s capital city, or who have lost their livelihoods to the coronavirus lockdown.

But the need was greater than that. So workers at the golden-domed temple in central New Delhi made 80,000 meals daily. Then 100,000. Soon, they expect to be making 300,000 -- all provided free to the growing ranks of the unfortunate.

For centuries the faithful have flocked to the temple for its healing waters and a free meal at the community kitchen, the symbol of equality found at every Sikh temple complex and open to all visitors…”

https://apnews.com/899653802ac863932c8cdc6cc2599f10

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brazil’s Health Ministry Recommends Wide Use of Hydroxychloroquine, Chloroquine

https://www.theepochtimes.com/..._stm_source=smartech

Brazil’s Health Ministry on Wednesday recommended using hydroxychloroquine and the closely related chloroquine in hospitalized patients, from the mild cases to the most serious ones.

Doctors should consider prescribing the increasingly popular three-drug combination of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine with azithromycin, an antibiotic, and zinc, the new guidelines (pdf) state.

Brazil’s federal guidelines previously said hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine should only be used in patients suffering from severe cases of COVID-19. The new guidance says the anti-malarials should be used with azithromycin at the first sign of symptoms.

Patients will have to sign a waiver recognizing potential side effects caused by the medicines.

Because of the heightened toxicity of chloroquine, children should receive hydroxychloroquine, health officials said.

Chloroquine should be used with caution in patients with heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, and mental illness.

The guidance came after the national medicine council authorized the prescription of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine against COVID-19, a new disease that’s caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus.

Brazil’s Health Ministry said patients with mild or moderate cases should receive two doses of 450 milligrams of chloroquine on day one and a single dose of the same amount on days two through five, along with 500 milligrams of azithromycin per day through day five. The same regimen is recommended for hydroxychloroquine at the slightly lowered dosing of 400 milligrams.

Patients with severe illness shouldn’t be given the chloroquine regimen, health officials said.

The ministry issued the guidelines in consideration of “the existence of several studies and the wide experience in the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the treatment of other infectious diseases and chronic diseases in the scope of the” healthcare system.

It said no other effective treatments for COVID-19 exist to date.

Interim Health Minister Eduardo Pazuello, an active duty army general, authorized the new guidelines after two trained doctors left the ministry’s top job. Nelson Teich, an oncologist and health care consultant, resigned on Friday after taking the position in mid-April.

“Life is made up of choices and today I decided to leave,” Teich told reporters in Brasilia.

Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine have long been used around the world to prevent and treat malaria and other ailments and their use against COVID-19 has gained steam in a number of nations, including the United States, India, and Turkey.

The guidelines cited 76 documents, including some completed and ongoing studie, about the drugs, including studies in the early 2000s about the effectiveness of zinc, chloroquine, and hydroxychloroquine.

More recent studies included a March 22 study in France that found hydroxychloroquine was associated with a reduction in viral load; an April 10 study in China finding the use of the drug could “significantly shorten” time to clinical recovery; and a May 1 study from Chinese researchers that found hydroxychloroquine associated with a decreased mortality rate in critically ill COVID-19 patients.

Medical experts said studies have not confirmed the effectiveness of the drugs in treating the CCP virus, including Marcos Espinal, director for communicable diseases at the Pan American Health Organization.

“Our recommendations are crystal clear that they should not be used yet and in fact studies are suggesting a higher rate of secondary effects and cardiological problems in people who use it,” Espinal told journalists in a Tuesday briefing.

Posts: 12659 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post