SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Australian study: COVID-19 spreads in schools 'considerably less' than influenza

https://justthenews.com/politi..._campaign=newsletter

A study out of Australia shows the spread of COVID-19 is not driven by children in educational environments, a finding expected to influence the ongoing debate about when to reopen schools in many Western countries.

Authorities in the United States, the European countries and other nations around the world began shutting down schools in February and March under the assumption that schoolhouses – packed full of children and usually hotspots of community virus transmission – would contribute to major coronavirus outbreaks. Many public officials, particularly in the U.S., have vowed to keep schools closed until the fall and possibly beyond.

Yet health authorities are beginning to question that approach to pandemic mitigation

Soumya Swaminathan, the chief scientist at the World Health Organization, said last week that "children don't seem to be getting severely ill from this infection," that there "have not been big outbreaks in schools" where they have remained open, and that it sees "children are less capable of spreading" the virus.

The study out of Australia, released last month by the National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance, found that "SARS-CoV-2 transmission in children in schools appears considerably less than seen for other respiratory viruses, such as influenza."

The study determined that, out of hundreds of "close contacts" that were in proximity to numerous positive COVID-19 patients in a school environment, only a scant number contracted the disease there.

"In contrast to influenza, data from both virus and antibody testing to date suggest that children are not the primary drivers of COVID-19 spread in schools or in the community," the researchers said.

"This is consistent with data from international studies showing low rates of disease in children and suggesting limited spread among children and from children to adults," they also said.

The researchers do note that, in mid-March, the government advised parents to keep their children at home for online learning even as schools remained open. Following that advice, "face-to-face attendance in schools decreased significantly and this may have impacted the results of this investigation." School holidays in early April may have also affected the results.

Children in Australia began to return to school earlier this month as part of a staggered re-opening plan.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ohio Senator Sherrod Brown says Trump opening things up way too quickly. "How many workers must die just to improve the GDP?" Man these lib assholes just suck with their narrative.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It's all the democrats have and they know it. Doing everything they can to tank our economy is the last rock they have to throw at Trump.

They just aren't bright enough to understand how much this will backfire on them in November.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another sanctuary city in California, but wait….you'll like this one. Local mayor declares his city a sanctuary for businesses against Newsom's orders.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...mKyL?ocid=spartanntp

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the main reasons I dumped the local fishwrap (the Mining Urinal) was because they featured a column by Sherrod Browns wife.
If you think he is an idiot, you should read her dreck.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
30 MAIN should just change their name to 'Closed due to Stupidity'.

Yeesh. The owner sounds like a real piece of work.

He's busy going off on anyone who has criticized his new 1984-style "new normal" plan on his FB page and if you look at his Yelp page and dare to give him any guff about your experience, he's coming for you.

Not sure how this guy has made it 8 years now at that place. Roll Eyes

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have attached some photos and when everything is complete will be happy to walk you through.

Special hours for seniors 2pm-5pm

So, he's saying he invented the Blue Plate Special.....

It's crazy but it will appeal to a specific type of customer, those who feel Masks and overbearing oversight is the salvation to safety, that no intrusion is invasive enough when it's done for the "right cause"

You know - dumbasses....

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
CDC Now Says Chinese Flu Does Not Spread Easily Via Contaminated Surfaces

https://www.foxnews.com/health...ontaminated-surfaces

Ya don’t say.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Went into work for a couple of hours today. Walking through the mall was weird. All but a few food places, and nearly every retail place were closed, even had the escalators turned off. Got to the place I was working before store opened and did my work before the store had it's first customer.

Got in a huge two hours today. I asked the store manager if there were many other stores open in the mall and she named off like three or four stores but the Pacific Sun store across the way had the lights on for the first time in months. Got home and was talking with boss over interoffice messaging app, he told me the store I was in didn't have permission to be open and just said fuck it and opened anyways.

Guess we've gone from civil disobedience to corporate disobedience now.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Took a sec. Big Grin

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881: Guess we've gone from civil disobedience to corporate disobedience now.

That's encouraging! I read that Hawaii is still adamant about lockdown and says don't come. Not gonna be a problem for me.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Ya don’t say.

Not sure I would believe anything the CDC says. I have always assumed that foreign surfaces are contaminated in some way/shape/form - I just don't panic over it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

Took a sec. Big Grin

This one also took me a second....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read that Hawaii is still adamant about lockdown and says don't come. Not gonna be a problem for me.

Not gonna be a problem for me, either.
But tourism is just about the entire economy of Hawaii. Of course they'll be looking for a handout from Uncle Sugar.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24113 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
And they cited FDA statements that it hasn't been proven to treat this virus.
Ahhh the FDA, an organization that has been responsible for more deaths than 'all' the world's dictators combined. And an organization for which I have 'zero' respect.
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Ohio Senator Sherrod...
A true intellectual titan right there. Hey Sherry, governors are responsible for opening (or not) their states and with whatever might result. The Federal government has no authority to close or open a state. So ends today's civics lesson you absolute moron. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

Ya don’t say.

Not sure I would believe anything the CDC says. I have always assumed that foreign surfaces are contaminated in some way/shape/form - I just don't panic over it.
You're missing the point. Fauci and crew told us that the bug can live on surfaces for hours and infect people. Now the CDC (i.e. a government agency people will listen to because, its a government agency) says something to the contrary. Both of these teams are supposedly on the same side of the equation, but they're sending conflicting info. So tell me once again, what is an 'expert', and why should we listen to any of them?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I read that Hawaii is still adamant about lockdown and says don't come. Not gonna be a problem for me.

Not gonna be a problem for me, either.
But tourism is just about the entire economy of Hawaii. Of course they'll be looking for a handout from Uncle Sugar.

My son and DIL live there (Oahu and the Big Island) and he stated it sucks because, as a Haole, when he goes to work, the stares are rather notable (unless he's with his wife, then he's okay).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post