SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... 1209
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My wife and I and the kids are supposed to be traveling to a large family reunion/birthday party for her grandparents in the Columbus, OH area and I'm starting to wonder if this should be postponed? They are in their 80's here.

Now keep mind, these are the same people who refused to cancel their plans to travel to Orlando this past August-September right when Hurricane Dorian was 100 miles off the coast. Eek

Has this hit Ohio yet?

I'd pass and would strongly urge the grandparents to take precautions as they're the most vulnerable.

Posts: 14728 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
What's frustrating to read in this thread is some of the membership here is in absolute denial that this is anything serious.

I find it somewhat surprising.

Updated list of significant differences between SARS-CoV-2 and seasonal influenza:

• SARS-CoV-2 has a much longer incubation period than most common influenzas: 5-14 days as compared to 2-3 days
  • It is believed to be anywhere from 3-1/2 to 10 times more contagious than influenza
  • It is also believed to be highly contagious during its incubation period, whereas flu is not so much
  • It has been tested to survive on some surfaces for 3-9 days--significantly longer than the average flu virus, which average more in the range of hours
  • The human population has built up a degree of herd immunity to influenza. SARS-CoV-2 is brand new, so that does not obtain
  • Unlike influenza: There are no vaccinations or anti-virals for SARS-CoV-2
  • Evidence so far suggests Covid-19 is at least twice as deadly as influenza

quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
the school closings are just bizarre. school staff aside, adding full panic hysteria to the numbers, kids will rule the earth. S. Korea has reliable data and a good sample size.

I don't understand what part of "to prevent the spread" people are not getting.

I don't understand what part of "children are notorious germ-spreaders" people are not getting.

I don't understand what part of "it may not kill you, but it may kill somebody else you infect" people are not getting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
the school closings are just bizarre. school staff aside, adding full panic hysteria to the numbers, kids will rule the earth. S. Korea has reliable data and a good sample size.

if you under 30, seems like you can lick door knobs all day..once you reach the 50, yeah wash your hands, stop touching everything and everyone.

if our healthcare system needs all the help it can get. pulling their kids out of school sounds like a solid plan. so does assuming a majority of the workforce can "tele-work" obnoxious.
italy has close to the oldest population in the world(if not the oldest). health issues aside, seems that anyone over 50 should be cautious, and over 80, should be very cautious....the problem is, i dont know of any "old" people that arent cautious every flu season. the ones that dont seem to die from this current virus, are the ones spewing it all over the place. just like every other virus that affects age groups differently. this virus hitting nursing homes, is a tragedy.

the virus will be a minor factor in the damage we are self inflicting here....
hope all of you stay safe, and healthy. the virus will not be our biggest issue this time.

It's an attempt to slow the transmission rate. Schools are a petri dish. Every flu season, my co-workers with kids caught it first, from their kids, then brought it to work and spread it to those of us without kids.

My wife used to be a teacher. She pretty much stayed sick during the flu season.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
What's frustrating to read in this thread is some of the membership here is in absolute denial that this is anything serious.

So do I, I hope they know more than the NBA, NCAA, Mayor's, and CEOs, CDC, and WHO.

I will be so happy if they get to say, see I told you so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20885 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

So do I, I hope they know more than the NBA, NCAA, Mayor's, and CEOs, CDC, and WHO.

I will be so happy if they get to say, see I told you so.

The only thing “serious” so far is the panic.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
"Hail fellow well met" in the year 2020 ...

Send you a text, bro.

Yup ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

if you under 30, seems like you can lick door knobs all day..once you reach the 50, yeah wash your hands, stop touching everything and everyone.

if our healthcare system needs all the help it can get. pulling their kids out of school sounds like a solid plan. so does assuming a majority of the workforce can "tele-work" obnoxious.
italy has close to the oldest population in the world(if not the oldest). health issues aside, seems that anyone over 50 should be cautious, and over 80, should be very cautious....the problem is, i dont know of any "old" people that arent cautious every flu season. the ones that dont seem to die from this current virus, are the ones spewing it all over the place. just like every other virus that affects age groups differently. this virus hitting nursing homes, is a tragedy.

the virus will be a minor factor in the damage we are self inflicting here....
hope all of you stay safe, and healthy. the virus will not be our biggest issue this time.
Good data snd thanks for posting.

A few reminders about mortality chart data:
1. Can’t assume from that that not dying means all is well. For example, what percentage of survivors will experience long-term impacts (eg lung scarring)?
2. Don’t get hung up on the flu comparison. CDC shows that 9.3 to 45 million people catch the flu every year, and 12k to 61k die from it. With a more deadly disease, we need to take more precautions than normal flu season.

3. An under 50 person’s impact on others. Everyone needs to do their part to “flatten the curve” because:
  • We (I’m under 50) can transmit to a higher risk group.
  • Once again it’s a mortality table so it’s not showing data such as how much health care (eg hospital beds, oxygen, etc) it takes to survive, and there is a finite amount of health care available.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23378 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    always with a hat or sunscreen
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

I've seen numerous "outbreaks" over the years such as SARS, H1N1, Bird Flu, Legionnaires, Ebola, Swine Flu, etc. and never was there this maniacal hysteria and panic inciting bullshit behavior from the MSM and left as we're seeing now.

Prime example: mortality for the current influenza is 1/10 of a percent, 1% for Covid19. So the MSM screams that Covid19 is TEN times more deadly than flu which is flat out sensationalizing the facts.

Yes, any illness that can cause death is serious. But some perspective is needed.

I'm convinced that the hysteria and panic is aimed at hurting President Trump and the 2020 elections. Look at the stock market and all the closings impact on the economy. Color me very very pissed.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
    USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16285 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Step by step walk the thousand mile road
    Picture of Sig2340
    posted Hide Post
    Has any one else heard that Pat noon (or thereabouts) resident Trump is going to address the national about the instability in the bond, commodity, and stock markets?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
    Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31506 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    Suddenly everyone's a fucking expert here just like on social media. Roll Eyes

You Sky Is Falling types trying to lecture us all need to take a damn breath and step back here. VERY FEW of us are saying it's "no big deal", what we are trying to push back against is the absolute panic narrative being driven by the media and the Democrats here.

I never in my life thought I'd see this craziness like people fighting over a roll of goddamn toilet paper like we are the Soviet Union in the 1970's.

Is this bad...yes. Will it get better...yes.

We aren't Italy with a huge older population and limited medical resources due to a socialized medicine system and we damn well aren't totalitarian China.

Posts: 33943 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Internet Guru
    posted Hide Post
    Good grief. If survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole. We'll chuckle about the mass hysteria in a few months time.

Posts: 1982 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Nullus Anxietas
    Picture of ensigmatic
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    You Sky Is Falling types trying to lecture us all...

Please point out somebody here screaming "the sky is falling."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
    "If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    10mm is The
    Boom of Doom
    Picture of Fenris
    posted Hide Post
    I see more people on here panicking about other people panicking than I see people panicking.

Simply because my precautions are at a higher level than yours does not mean I am panicking nor does it mean that you are in denial.

That said, I'm right and your wrong, just cuz. Razz

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    A new study suggests the coronavirus can survive on surfaces for only 3 days. Previous research compared SARS-CoV-2 to SARS and MERS, which could survive up to 9 days.

This is significant. The regular flu survives for about 48 hours. The coronavirus might be only a little hardier.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16407 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of PowerSurge
    posted Hide Post
    Don’t mind me. I’ll be wearing one of these until this is all over. Because panic: https://www.maskworld.com/engl...-kostuem-groesse-uni

———————————————
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3983 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    10mm is The
    Boom of Doom
    Picture of Fenris
    posted Hide Post
    Does a clothes dryer gets hot enough to kill C-19 on fabrics like hats and jackets?

Hoping...

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of ersatzknarf
    posted Hide Post
    Jeepers.
    Jumped in here on my lunch break to see what is going on and catch up on some (non-fake) news and everyone is running around like their hair is on fire or being accused of not running around like their hair is on fire.

Yes, there is no TP at the Costco.

Well, shit!

I refuse to panic about all this crap.

Yes, I am washing my hands a bit more thoroughly than usual, but other than that . . . sheesh!

... and, no, I did not get a flu shot. I never get a flu shot. I will be 60, next year, dammit.

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Sigforum K9 handler
    Picture of jljones
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    You Sky Is Falling types trying to lecture us all...

Please point out somebody here screaming "the sky is falling."

Well, no one has screamed “the sky is falling”. You are correct there. NOT. ONE.

But, a look around shows a bunch of people in a panic that seemingly have bought into the hype.

Look at the whole NBA cancellation thing. People look at that and say “see if it wasn’t serious they wouldn’t be throwing away billions”. Rooster crows, the sun comes up. Obviously the rooster made the sun come up.

The hysteria cancelled the NBA. No one, or very few were going to show up anyways. Hell, I’d venture to say not enough players would have shown to even play because the panic has been beaten into them. As much as I dislike the NBA, it was a safe business decision to close it. Now, they have no overhead to further cost them money.

Now comes the “people not taking this seriously” hysteria. No one disagrees that during a bad flu season that at risk people shouldn’t take precautions to limit exposure. But, the same precautions you take to limit your exposure from the flu is the same precautions for corona. I have been taking these precautions year round since I started my career in 1996. The corona virus is not going to come and cut my tires because I call this out for what it is. Hell, if you believe the 34 times more likely deaths and the “doubles every six days” hysteria presented as fact in this thread, there should be tens of thousands of Americans already dead. There simply is not.

Trying to make up statistics without the true numbers is impossible. Just like trying to reason with people who refuse to take a breath and think. By extension, most of these numbers are made up based upon the limited numbers that people have cobbled together to say something. Anything. They have to be shown that the “are doing something” to calm the panic. Where have we heard “just do something” from the media before?

Wash you hands. If you are at risk, take other precautions like avoiding crowds (it is stuff you should be doing this time of year anyways). Turn off the TV and stop worrying. You don’t have to be an “expert” on the internet to figure this out.

It’s as simple as that. The sky isn’t falling.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37123 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Not really from Vienna
    Picture of arfmel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fenris:
    Does a clothes dryer gets hot enough to kill C-19 on fabrics like hats and jackets?

Hoping...

Boiling water (212*) “kills” viruses. I don’t think a home clothes dryer gets hot enough to do the cabrona virus any harm.

Posts: 26980 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fenris:

Hoping...

I would expect that it would. It doesn't usually take a lot of heat to inactivate a virus. That's why your body runs a fever when it's infected. Only a few degrees higher than normal is enough. The subtle game your immune system plays is to run hot enough, for long enough, to kill the infection but not you.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16407 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post