SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Loudoun County Public Schools have cancelled classes through March 20, 2020.

Talk about disrupting lives.

Pandemic pushes area colleges to move classes online

My daughter is attending BOTH University of Mary Washington and Germanna (dual enrollment nursing program) so now all of her classes are online. Problem is, we have Hughes Net satellite internet and it's good for surfing SigForum and nothing else. Can't stream anything and don't try to watch a youtube video over 3 minutes because it'll take all day to load. So now, we are left trying to figure out how she's supposed to do her classes. This is just ridiculous.

Posts: 2842 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Loudoun County Public Schools have cancelled classes through March 20, 2020.

Talk about disrupting lives.

Pandemic pushes area colleges to move classes online

My daughter is attending BOTH University of Mary Washington and Germanna (dual enrollment nursing program) so now all of her classes are online. Problem is, we have Hughes Net satellite internet and it's good for surfing SigForum and nothing else. Can't stream anything and don't try to watch a youtube video over 3 minutes because it'll take all day to load. So now, we are left trying to figure out how she's supposed to do her classes. This is just ridiculous.

How is cell service around you? Maybe get a Verizon hotspot if service is available. Or use your existing cell service, again, if available.

We have Verizon hotspots dedicated for my salesmen when they go on the road. That way their phones are not tied up when they need to be online. Hope it is an option for you, but not always viable due to coverage.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1117 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Is there a “Face Palm” meme extreme enough in regard to that NBA player’s actions?

Perhaps not, but:

Don’t touch your face!! Razz

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Wife and I are supposed to go to Germany to visit family in the Stuttgart are next month....

Cant figure out if we will be allowed back if we do go. Also, likely airlines aren't going to be running one way trips...

I'd say next week will show where we are going. Today the top medical officials of Berlin's twelve districts jointly demanded that the city government shut down public life to prevent the dreaded Italian scenario. Of course as a radio host pointed out in an interview with their spokesman, they have the authority to close public venues in their respective districts themselves, so they still don't seem to feel it urgent enough to not try and push responsibility for unpopular measures upwards.

Shared my concern about travelling home for Easter on the family Threema chat. My brother #4 was taken aback for not thinking so far when he and his wife considered going there after, as he put it, "Mr. Trump called this morning to cancel our honeymoon trip" to the US. Brother #5 had already worried about it himself.

And a fourth case has been retconned into the national death list now after the body of a 67-year-old who died some days ago in the state of Baden-Württemberg already was tested positive.

Posts: 2434 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Highly recommend Tuesday's Joe Rogan podcast featuring Michael Osterholm. He's local to us here in MInnesota (U of M) and is 'the' go-to-guy when it comes to infectious disease.

I saw that last night, there is some creeping evidence that COVID is hitting the 40-60 demographic severely in the US. Time will tell .

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw that last night, there is some creeping evidence that COVID is hitting the 40-60 demographic severely in the US. Time will tell .

What's frustrating to read in this thread is some of the membership here is in absolute denial that this is anything serious. Do you really think the NCAA or the NBA is willingly giving up billions of dollars simply to incite panic or add to the MSN narrative?

Bottom line is that the spread needs to be slowed before medical facilities are overrun and cannot treat regular patients.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12366 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My wife and I and the kids are supposed to be traveling to a large family reunion/birthday party for her grandparents in the Columbus, OH area and I'm starting to wonder if this should be postponed? They are in their 80's here.

Now keep mind, these are the same people who refused to cancel their plans to travel to Orlando this past August-September right when Hurricane Dorian was 100 miles off the coast. Eek

Has this hit Ohio yet?

Posts: 34017 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My wife and I and the kids are supposed to be traveling to a large family reunion/birthday party for her grandparents in the Columbus, OH area and I'm starting to wonder if this should be postponed? They are in their 80's here.

Now keep mind, these are the same people who refused to cancel their plans to travel to Orlando this past August-September right when Hurricane Dorian was 100 miles off the coast. Eek

Has this hit Ohio yet?

Take a look for yourself, do they live in those three towns?

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20912 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:

Has this hit Ohio yet?

The question is not "has hit there yet?", the question is "how likely is someone to bring it there with them?".

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

They got lucky once with the Hurricane, so I say go ahead and roll the dice again - but make sure to kiss / hug everyone there for maximum effect.

What could go wrong???

<Sarcasm>

The prudent COA is to not go.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
This hysteria did bring me to a startling revelation yesterday. I was traveling home from out of state on business with a heightened awareness due to all of the social distancing talk. I am a frequent flier and travel paperless, boarding pass on my phone. As I approached the TSA agent's podium and handed him my drivers license I realized I then had to place my phone, face down, on the same scanner 1000's of other people had placed the face of their phone before me.

I was pretty grossed out. Not because of Corona virus but just all of the nasty people that so see in airports and airplanes. Going to be printing a paper pass from now on, ewe.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I realized I then had to place my phone, face down, on the same scanner 1000's of other people had placed the face of their phone before me.
You don't have to place the phone down, you just need to hover it about 1-2" above the scanner.

At least that is what I always do... Wink

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
Is there a “Face Palm” meme extreme enough in regard to that NBA player’s actions?

Perhaps not, but:

Don’t touch your face!! Razz

Well,

That is the Colbert guy. The one that was Jon Stewart's mini-me. He's kinda an idiot!

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
How is cell service around you? Maybe get a Verizon hotspot if service is available. Or use your existing cell service, again, if available.

We have Verizon hotspots dedicated for my salesmen when they go on the road. That way their phones are not tied up when they need to be online. Hope it is an option for you, but not always viable due to coverage.

No chance of coverage. This area is all but stuck in the mid 20th Century. I had a meeting with my District Supervisor last week about the issue and I gave him this exact example. COVID-19 and it shuttering the schools. Hopefully this event lights some fires under some asses and we get movement but I'm not hopeful.

Posts: 2842 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Doesn't DISH offer satellite Internet?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17486 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Bottom line is that the spread needs to be slowed before medical facilities are overrun and cannot treat regular patients.

Until they start closing the Wal-Marts everything else is just for show. Razz

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6749 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Until they start closing the Wal-Marts everything else is just for show. Razz
Yeah, then the REAL panic begins... Big Grin

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

If anybody in your immediate family is in the high-risk category: I wouldn't. Not unless it's well on the downside of the infection rate of this thing by the time of that gathering.

A birthday party for one of my two best friends is coming up this weekend. Nearly thirty people have confirmed. I'll be contacting him today to tell him my wife and I reluctantly won't be attending, after all Frown Part of the reason is some (many?) in his family exhibit little common sense. Many of their occasions we attend has at least one sick person spreading it around

quote:

I remember that. And y'all lucked-out: Dorian turned.

quote:
Has this hit Ohio yet?

It has. For several days, I believe. It finally showed-up in Michigan two days ago.

Low number of cases in both states, currently, but we've seen how rapidly this thing can move.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
You are 34 times more likely to panic if you stop using logic and reason.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16799 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the school closings are just bizarre. school staff aside, adding full panic hysteria to the numbers, kids will rule the earth. S. Korea has reliable data and a good sample size.

if you under 30, seems like you can lick door knobs all day..once you reach the 50, yeah wash your hands, stop touching everything and everyone.

if our healthcare system needs all the help it can get. pulling their kids out of school sounds like a solid plan. so does assuming a majority of the workforce can "tele-work" obnoxious.
italy has close to the oldest population in the world(if not the oldest). health issues aside, seems that anyone over 50 should be cautious, and over 80, should be very cautious....the problem is, i dont know of any "old" people that arent cautious every flu season. the ones that dont seem to die from this current virus, are the ones spewing it all over the place. just like every other virus that affects age groups differently. this virus hitting nursing homes, is a tragedy.

the virus will be a minor factor in the damage we are self inflicting here....
hope all of you stay safe, and healthy. the virus will not be our biggest issue this time.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post