SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
I just wish the moron element would STOP HOARDING TOILET PAPER! There's no need for this foolishness. We're getting low on paper and would like to buy our standard amount of ONE bundle of the standard Costco fare....if they could ever get it back on the shelves. I'd almost like to ambush a hoarder in the parking lot and set their basket of paper on fire, just to vent a little.

Just order a bidet off Amazon, there are inexpensive basic units up to super expensive preheated seat, warm water with air dryer units. Whatever your anus desires!

Eliminate TP, this could be a boon for bidet sales worldwide and reduce the attack on the environment by the TP hoarders... Razz

If the TP shortage goes much longer that may be something to consider. It could also add some value to our home if we decided to sell it, as we could advertise a bidet/water feature!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snoris:
If anyone here is inclined toward digging into the science and putting what’s happening into perspective, here’s a link to a guy in England who is both a mathematician and epidemiologist at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
<snip>

This appears to be your second post of this. Smile
Maybe you intended to edit the first post?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9452 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Can MLB be far behind?

We can certainly hope so.... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Current COVID-19 related deaths in China are slightly above 3,000. Using that "data," which for lack of anything better is as accurate as any, the morbidity rate becomes .0004%.

Which is 5,000 times less than the current estimates, and...

quote:
Worldwide, there were 127,863 COVID-19 cases and 4,718 deaths as of Thursday morning; about 68,310 people have recovered, according to data published by the Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering’s Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

That works out to a CFR of 2.4% to 3.7% and...

quote:
The U.S. has 1,312 confirmed cases, and has recorded 38 deaths from the novel coronavirus.

2.9%. All about three orders of magnitude higher than your 0.0004%

Do you have an explanation for this inconsistency?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

The Astros are hoping!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8794 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:

The Astros are hoping!

You mean the 2017 World Champion Astros***

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Asterisked for LIFE!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Can MLB be far behind?

The remainder of Spring Training just cancelled.
My nephew was supposed to pitch tonight, but the team bus was turned back to Sarasota.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Because the infection rate is higher than reported, but people aren’t dying. Local medical are speculating that the virus has been here for months. (I know, speculation is a one way street here).

A for instance- the Commonwealth of KY is only testing people in “high risk” groups. Presently, as of 5:10 PM EST yesterday, only 8 confirmed cases of 65 tests ran state wide. With no plans of wide spread testing being available until mid April.

Even if you have the virus and go to a local hospital, you’re going to be treated for a viral infection, and released.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Does a clothes dryer gets hot enough to kill C-19 on fabrics like hats and jackets?

Hoping...

Boiling water (212*) “kills” viruses. I don’t think a home clothes dryer gets hot enough to do the cabrona virus any harm.

If you needed to kill on contact, yes boiling water would be a good choice. Otherwise about 30 minutes in the dryer at the highest heat setting should kill any microbe.

You could even do a fair amount of damage with a hair blow dryer, if you hold it long enough.

Corona virus likely killed at low temp like SARS (56 Celsius). But I don’t think it’s correct to say a dryer would kill any microbe. Dry heat is not as effective as moist heat. Microbial Sterilization at 121 degrees Celsius is only under moist heat and pressure. Bacterial spores can survive dry heat for a long time. This isn’t really about the corona virus but it can be useful to know.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:

If the TP shortage goes much longer that may be something to consider. It could also add some value to our home if we decided to sell it, as we could advertise a bidet/water feature!

I ordered two last night. My wife mocked me then went to Target with my daughter... where she saw with her own eyes a completely empty aisle where the TP once was stocked. My street cred went way up Big Grin Big Grin

Ammo for the zombies, bidets for the tushies

Posts: 841 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have an explanation for this inconsistency ?

We may have a general idea of deaths, the numerator, but have NO idea of the actual real cases, the denominator. Especially in places like China. This is why "death rates" and percentages are meaningless.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17175 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^Along with the dryer, a good detergent with a non-chlorine bleach should help with laundry concerns. Was out picking up a few items used in the past week of my stash; no Lysol spray and one guy with six months supply of toilet paper, but little panic noted otherwise. Now if Austria is hit hard, and Glock production stops...then I'll freak! Smile

Posts: 3397 | Location: Fairfax Co. VA | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Does a clothes dryer gets hot enough to kill C-19 on fabrics like hats and jackets?

Hoping...

Boiling water (212*) “kills” viruses. I don’t think a home clothes dryer gets hot enough to do the cabrona virus any harm.

If you needed to kill on contact, yes boiling water would be a good choice. Otherwise about 30 minutes in the dryer at the highest heat setting should kill any microbe.

You could even do a fair amount of damage with a hair blow dryer, if you hold it long enough.

Corona virus likely killed at low temp like SARS (56 Celsius). But I don’t think it’s correct to say a dryer would kill any microbe. Dry heat is not as effective as moist heat. Microbial Sterilization at 121 degrees Celsius is only under moist heat and pressure. Bacterial spores can survive dry heat for a long time. This isn’t really about the corona virus but it can be useful to know.

When you dry a load of laundry doesn't it start and stay moist until the heat eventually dries the clothes. If you have ever interrupted a cycle you know it's very hot and steamy in a dryer through much of the cycle.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hoping...

Hmmm, I've seen it quoted numerous places that half an hour at the dryer's highest heat setting is the magic number. Here for instance.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16935 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
March 12, 2020
Since When Are Viruses Racist?
By Brian C. Joondeph

In the identity politics world of the progressive left, everything is racist. Using the pseudo-concept of intersectionality, all grievance groups overlap, except the groups of white, male, Christian, and heterosexual. The intersectionality of those four groups represents the ultimate in racism and bigotry, the scourge of civilization.

In this mindset, it makes perfect sense for inanimate objects to be labeled as racist. For example, a “black hole” is now considered by some to be a racist term. Perhaps we should use “singularity,” since it’s so much easier for the average person to understand.

Cold weather, air, dogs, solar eclipses, and farmers markets are also considered racist to the woke progressives. So, it’s no surprise that something so small that it cannot be seen with an ordinary microscope is also said to be racist.

I speak of a virus, the “Wuhan virus,” to be specific. Or the “Chinese Coronavirus” to use another term. This virus is busy causing not a mass epidemic, but mass hysteria, leading people to empty store shelves of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Also known as COVID-19, the Wuhan virus, like so many of its predecessors, is named based on where it was first identified, in this case, Wuhan, China.

In an intellectually functional society, claiming a virus name is racist would be nonsensical. But in America, where thoughtful discussion is replaced by cliched outrage and common sense has been relegated to history books, the name “Wuhan virus” has become the latest trigger for the left.

One of our congressional thought leaders, Rep. Ilhan Omar, tweeted out an accusation of racism after Rep. Kevin McCarthy referred to the virus as “Chinese Coronavirus.” Isn’t that where the virus originated? It’s not the Swedish or Bolivian Coronavirus.

Rep. Omar had no similar outrage when a New York Times editorial writer called it the “Trumpvirus.” President Trump didn’t create the virus and it didn’t originate from one of his properties, but instead came from China. What’s wrong with calling it what it is?

Speaking of the New York Times, they piled on as well, complaining that conservatives calling it the Wuhan virus is not only racist, but also xenophobic. How long until someone adds homophobic or sexist to the criticism?

Predictably CNN joined the chorus claiming “racism and xenophobia.” Salon was close behind with their caterwauling, “the racist art of naming a virus.”

Viruses are tiny inanimate objects, consisting of a few strands of DNA or RNA, surrounded by a protein coat, measuring around 100 nanometers in size.

They don’t wear white robes or march for “viral supremacy.” They infect individuals of all races, colors, sexes, religions, and national origin. Viruses don’t care where you were born. They aren’t concerned over what bathroom you prefer to use. Viruses don’t give a whit about your political party membership or whether you believe the earth is flat.

Virus are among the least racist objects in our world. Yet in the left’s wokeness, virus names are racist. How have past viruses and similar infectious diseases been named?

The Spanish flu of 1918-20 did not originate in Spain, but was first reported by Spain as they were neutral in World War I. But the name stuck and wasn’t considered racist.

Rubella, also known as German measles, is a viral infection first described by a German physician in 1740, thus the name. Angela Merkel is a woke EU politician, but I haven’t heard her complain that German measles is racist or xenophobic.

The Ebola virus was first discovered in 1976 near the Ebola River in the Democratic Republic of Congo and was appropriately named after where it was found.

A hemorrhagic fever virus similar to Ebola named Marburg was first recognized in 1967 in of all places, Marburg, Germany.

MERS is the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, first reported in Saudi Arabia. When discovered in 2012 during the Obama administration, I don’t recall cries of racism or Islamophobia because the virus was identified with the Middle East, where it first appeared.

The bubonic plague, technically a bacterial, not a viral, infection from the 14th century was called “black death” because black spots formed on the skin of those infected. Imagine if Don Lemon or Al Sharpton were alive then and how they would howl over the name “black death.”

Swine flu, also known as H1N1, from 2009, was so named because people who caught it had direct contact with pigs. The animal rights groups were not offended at the time or hollering about “speciesism” over the use of the term “swine.” What would they say about “bird flu” or “chickenpox”?

Smallpox is another horrific virus called “small” to distinguish it from syphilis, or the “great pox.” How long until short people cry “heightism” and claim the name “small” is discriminatory?

Remember the Zika virus? This was discovered in 1947 in the Zika Forest in Uganda and named accordingly.

Lyme disease, not a virus but instead a bacterial infection passed on through tick bites, was first recognized in 1975 after a number of children developed arthritis. Where were these children living at the time? Lyme, Connecticut, hence the name Lyme disease.

Let’s continue. West Nile virus was first isolated in a woman in the West Nile district of Uganda in 1937 and was named as such.

Rift Valley fever is a viral infection affecting humans and animals. It was first identified in 1931 as a sheep epidemic on a farm in the Rift Valley in Kenya, hence the name.

Then there is Rocky Mountain spotted fever, not a virus, but like Lyme disease, a tickborne disease first recognized in 1986 in the Snake River Valley of Idaho -- which just so happens to be in the Rocky Mountains.

Colorodans are sufficiently woke to have selected Bernie Sanders in the Democrat primary, but none are complaining about this infectious disease being named after their home in the Rocky Mountains.

Many diseases and infections are named after who discovered them or where they were discovered. It’s as simple as that. Wuhan virus originated in Wuhan, not Tokyo, not Bangkok. To claim the name is racist is silly.

Big media is pushing the story that, “Republicans face backlash over racist labeling of coronavirus.” But the reality is that this current viral outbreak started in Wuhan, China. The left deserves the backlash over shaming the country over politically correct nonsense.

Calling it the Wuhan virus is accurate and scientifically appropriate, but certainly not racist.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...t.html#ixzz6GVB63xZy

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Because the infection rate is higher than reported, ...

Wait... what?

Previously the complaint was we couldn't trust anything reported out of China, now we can trust what's reported out of China, but not the others?

quote:
... but people aren’t dying. Local medical are speculating ...

Yes, speculating. As opposed to hard numbers of those known to be infected and known deaths.

Even then: Let us assume only one-in-ten infected are recorded for the stats I cited: That's still a CFR of 0.24% to 0.37% - 600 to 925 times that in Doc H's post. Still a significant discrepancy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
USA Hockey cancelled all events including States and Nationals. ACHA hockey cancelled the National Tournament. NHL just postponed the season.

I talked to a nurse today who advised this is highly contagious. Breathing exhaled air from an infected person can transmit it. Any contact with that with air that then contacts eyes, nose, mouth can transmit the virus.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38221 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ken226:
quote:
Originally posted by alteon180e:
the school closings are just bizarre. school staff aside, adding full panic hysteria to the numbers, kids will rule the earth. S. Korea has reliable data and a good sample size.

if you under 30, seems like you can lick door knobs all day..once you reach the 50, yeah wash your hands, stop touching everything and everyone.

if our healthcare system needs all the help it can get. pulling their kids out of school sounds like a solid plan. so does assuming a majority of the workforce can "tele-work" obnoxious.
italy has close to the oldest population in the world(if not the oldest). health issues aside, seems that anyone over 50 should be cautious, and over 80, should be very cautious....the problem is, i dont know of any "old" people that arent cautious every flu season. the ones that dont seem to die from this current virus, are the ones spewing it all over the place. just like every other virus that affects age groups differently. this virus hitting nursing homes, is a tragedy.

the virus will be a minor factor in the damage we are self inflicting here....
hope all of you stay safe, and healthy. the virus will not be our biggest issue this time.

It's an attempt to slow the transmission rate. Schools are a petri dish. Every flu season, my co-workers with kids caught it first, from their kids, then brought it to work and spread it to those of us without kids.

My wife used to be a teacher. She pretty much stayed sick during the flu season.

I've posted before in the flu vaccination threads that there have been many studies done that have shown that increased flu vaccination rates in school children reduce the rate of flu infection in the entire population, even demographic groups that have little direct contact with children.

The reason is pretty obvious. Schools are a huge vector for spread of disease, and reducing the number of infections in the school doesn't just reduce exposures for the school children, it reduces exposures for EVERYONE ELSE, too, because there are fewer sick people in the overall population to be exposed to.

Fewer sick school kids get fewer other people sick, and the fewer other sick people get fewer other, other people sick, and so on.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
VDH on coronavirus

https://townhall.com/columnist...-is-upon-us-n2564545

The Great Coronavirus War Is Upon Us

conclusion:

The battle is upon us. But if we stay calm and rational, we can easily defeat the enemy, whose reputation is likely far scarier than its reality.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Because the infection rate is higher than reported, ...

Wait... what?

Previously the complaint was we couldn't trust anything reported out of China, now we can trust what's reported out of China, but not the others?

quote:
... but people aren’t dying. Local medical are speculating ...

Yes, speculating. As opposed to hard numbers of those known to be infected and known deaths.

Even then: Let us assume only one-in-ten infected are recorded for the stats I cited: That's still a CFR of 0.24% to 0.37% - 600 to 925 times that in Doc H's post. Still a significant discrepancy.

I think I know why you don’t see anyone here panicking.

Until you realize the “hard numbers” are false, you’ll continue to act this way. 34 more times likely.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37190 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post