SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are a number of positive things that have come from the pandemic, but I see very little written about this subject.

Hmmm, I am curious what these positive things are. Can you elaborate?

In my own life, it helped convince the wife that having more food on hand would be a good thing. She has been cooking more, which is a good thing, but that has meant more dishes for me to wash, which is not really a good thing. Wink Living on a ranch, staying at home is not nearly as stifling as it would be in an apartment, but I can’t say the reduced social interaction is a good thing.

I’m genuinely curious to hear about the benefits of the pandemic.

Posts: 7062 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a number of positive things that have come from the pandemic, but I see very little written about this subject.

Many companies have learned that their fears about remote work were incorrect. In many cases people have been more productive working remotely.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38196 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please, do tell. No trivialities, please.

Posts: 109014 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
speaking of BS. It either is, or is not a concern. Marching over a concern does not provide any special immunity.

[Video]
Hey look. It's a retard being interviewed by a retard. This BS is just so tiring at this point given the agenda of this garbage is now very clear and evident to everyone.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
All this bullshit for 9200 deaths. We didn’t destroy the country because of texting while driving deaths. We didn’t destroy the economy because of drunk driving deaths.

Time to start figuring out how to get even with the people that did all this crap to us for no justifiable reason.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhtagmember,

Posts: 53776 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday we went to a new furniture store and they were taking everyone’s temperature at the door. It’s no one’s business what my temperature is. It’s unbelievable that people merrily go along with whatever they’re told to do, no questions asked.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3629 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

It's been discussed that COVID having shut down the normal activities of sitting in front of a game station, or watching pro sports families are doing things outdoors together.

Motorhome sales, side by sides, bikes, motorcycles, tents, camping gear, fishing, et all are hot sellers as people get out of their homes and back into doing things out doors together.

So that's a good thing that hopefully continues post pandemic..

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/0...ols-backordered.html

Posts: 24208 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Less traffic and pollution. Moves to increase internet connectivity, expansion of Telemedicince services. I am sure there are others. I do not believe these are trivial.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Totally serious, I had a fast license renewal at the DMV. No huge lines, no bullshit, in and out in 10 minutes.

Edit to add: I’d go back to the days of a two hour renewal hassle to get the rest of life back to normal.

Posts: 13829 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sorry, less traffic and pollution and better internet connections? That does not balance the scale of the utter catastrophe of this entirely unnecessary monkey fuck we've been subjected to. Not even close. It's a BB compared to a bowling ball.
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Totally serious, I had a fast license renewal at the DMV. No huge lines, no bullshit, in and out in 10 minutes.
Listen to what you're saying. You're talking about an empty world.

These arguments are completely unconvincing

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109014 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it does not balance the negative changes that have occurred. I am just tired of the constant negativity from the media. Every night the lead story is how many new cases, how many have died and the projections down the line. I am sick of it. You can limit your media exposure but someone is sure to remind you.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience at the DMV, in and out in 10 minutes.

Then I thought about WHY I was in and out in 10 minutes.

Then I was sick and angry because of all the lies and deceit we continue to endure about this. I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have waited 2 hours than watch millions of people's lives get uprooted for political theater.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Divorce rate increase during the Whoo Hoo Floo?
I would buy that. I think that many relationships fail when both people are right up in each others face 24/7. My long term relationships lasted because we were not together 24/7 so when we did get together, we were glad to see each other and wanted to spend time together.
Add kids into the mix that many people normally farm out to school, sports or day care and the "aint you dead yet" syndrome takes over.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am just tired of the constant negativity from the media. Every night the lead story is how many new cases, how many have died and the projections down the line. I am sick of it.

This ^^^^^^ is exactly the primary use of the MUTE BUTTON on my remote!!!! When the "news" start that shit......I just mute them out, and it give ME control.....not them.

Posts: 6707 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Well, HomeDepot did OK.

If only we'd been smart enough to buy more in mid March.

Lowes did even better.

Posts: 16167 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
another article on NYC w some numbers

https://thehill.com/opinion/fi...eration-or-even-more

Just a year before David Berkowitz started his infamous crime spree, and two years before the carnage of looting and broken glass of the blackout of 1977, New York City stood at the edge of an abyss. It faced bankruptcy and spiking crime. When you stepped off the plane in 1975 at Laguardia Airport, you were greeted with a pamphlet emblazoned with a skull and bold letters that said “Welcome to Fear City.”

The survival guide offered stark advice on how to hide your property, how to avoid violence and robberies, and most of all, “until things change, stay away from New York City if you possibly can.” Plainclothes police officers handed them out as a clear warning. Now there is further tumult almost a generation later. Step out of a cab in Brooklyn or the Bronx today and the same pamphlet may as well be making the rounds.

The incredible run of New York City under both Rudy Giuliani and Michael Bloomberg today seems like a distant memory

But due to the perfect storm of Bill De Blasio, rioters, and the coronavirus, New York City today is looking far more like the abyss of 1975.

Over the last year, the overall wealth of New York City residents fell by more than 11 percent, representing over $330 billion in lost economic power. United Van Lines has reported that 61 percent of residents leaving Manhattan earn over $100,000. State tax collections from New York City dropped dramatically since the pandemic started, down 32 percent in May and 46 percent in June.

New York City has a $9 billion budget deficit, and the state deals with a $30 billion budget deficit. Even before the pandemic, New York City had faced fiscal armageddon. Lacking money from the backbone of its high taxes, the social programs and public payrolls need extensive cuts. New York City is now bracing for 22,000 layoffs, and the state has instituted a salary freeze and slashed $4 billion from its budget

Many businesses have been closed, while a third of the small businesses in New York City will likely not return. Projections include the decline of gross domestic product of $115 billion. New York City is simply losing more middle class and high income residents than it can afford to continue as the financial and cultural center of the world.

New York City may return, but just as in the 1970s, it may take a hiatus lasting decades

For De Blasio and Andrew Cuomo, fiscal salvation comes in only one form, which is the election of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris

The Democratic duo could push forth an economic bailout that would bring Gerald Ford back to life. Liberal localities and blue states are simply riding out the current crisis hoping for a lifeline to continue their fiscal waste.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Why is the revelation that the CDC over-estimated the deaths not making more traction?

Where is the outrage?

Posts: 53776 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
New CDC report says 94% of COVID deaths had underlying conditions, only 6% died from COVID alone

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a new report detailing how many COVID-19 deaths in America also involved other underlying health conditions.

According to the report, only 6% of the COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. list COVID-19 as the only cause of death. 94% of COVID-19 deaths involved at least one other underlying health condition, and on average involved "2.6 additional conditions or causes of death."

Table 3 shows the types of health conditions and contributing causes mentioned in conjunction with deaths involving coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.The new report on the CDC's website states:

The CDC listed the top underlying medical conditions linked to coronavirus deaths as:

Influenza and pneumonia
Respiratory failure
Hypertensive disease
Diabetes
Vascular and unspecified dementia
Cardiac Arrest
Heart failure
Renal failure
Intentional and unintentional injury, poisoning and other adverse events
Other medical conditions

According to the CDC, 9,683 people have died in the United States having only COVID-19 listed on their death certificate as cause of death. At the time the CDC report was released, 161,392 deaths had been attributed to COVID-19 in the U.S.Link

I'm not sure this means what many of us think it does. The CDC report uses the term comorbidity, which I take to mean the individual was found to have more than one condition at the time of death contributing to morbidity. The author of the article linked, however, uses a different term, "underlying health conditions", to infer, it seems to me, that these were pre-existing conditions. I do not pretend to be an expert, but these two terms do not mean the same thing. What I'm saying is the virus likely caused a lot of the comorbidities. So some were underlying, or preexisting in the context of the article, and others were not.

For instance, people don't die from the flu as much as they die from complications of the flu. What I find strange is the 6% of death certificates list no other comorbidities. So how exactly did these people die?

I have no doubt a lot of the deaths involved pre-existing underlying health conditions, I just don't think that's what Table 3 in this report says. But, I'm also not sure what Table 3 of the report is actually trying to say either.

We could really use from insight from one of our members in medicine field here. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10359 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And a perfect example of the Californian, leftist mindset of the people flooding into Republican states from places like California and then immediately want to change it into what they just fled from.

Here is a post my wife just sent me off of her Facebook page of the type of people invading my state and town in oder to escape their leftist utopia. Ungrateful pieces of shit. So typical. They want everything provided by public schools but are ecstatic about the lower taxes they are now paying. So what will they do? No doubt they'll vote for higher taxes so the government will provide extracurricular activities that most here in Park City know are paid for outside of the public dole. I pay to have my daughter get ski lessons. I pay for her to take gymnastics. I pay for her to take swimming. I pay for her take dance. I don't need the fucking government to offer such things.

Damned Californian, leftist implants! GET. OUT. Mad

And school security? Here in Utah, teachers and parents alike can carry as they please within the public schools. We have all the security the 2nd amendment provides.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
They’ve already infested FL. You see so many moving to FL with NY and NJ plates.

They need to stay there and live with the consequences of their elections.

Posts: 13289 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post