SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Hopefully it'll take far less than 100 years!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39264 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
And the mental retardation in Florida continues and ramps up. God do we have a huge group of morons running local government in Central Florida. Thank god the sheriff's department is showing some common sense, though my bet is they just don't want to be dragged into this nonsense. Orange County leaders discuss mask mandate penalties if COVID-19 cases don’t decrease

Guess I'm looking at jail time or fines.

By the way, can anyone post a link to a scienctific study that proves with a high level of certainty that all these dish rag masks are successful in stopping the spread of the virus. To date I've found nothing except a couple out lying studies that indicate masks are 'not' very successful in quelling a virus like Covid.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Rioting or looting? Sure, go right ahead, we won't stop you...

https://abc7.com/health/couple...or-covid-19/6323759/

Kentucky Couple under house arrest after refusal to quarantine for COVID-19

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky -- A Kentucky couple is under house arrest after one of them tested positive for coronavirus and refused to sign self-quarantine papers.

Elizabeth Linscott got tested for COVID-19 because she was planning to go visit her parents.

"My grandparents wanted to see me, too, so, just to make sure that, you know, if I tested negative, that they would be okay, everything would be fine," Linscott said.

After testing positive but without showing any symptoms, Linscott told WAVE-TV the health department contacted her, requesting she sign documents.

"I agreed to comply to call the Health Department if I was to go. I was to call the Health Department if I was to leave my house for any reason," she said.

But, she chose not to sign.

"I had gotten a message from them, a text message that stated, because of your refusal to sign, this is going to be escalated, and law enforcement will be involved," she said.

Later that week, the county sheriff greeted Linscott's husband, Isaiah, at their front door.

"I open up the door, and there's like eight different people, five different cars, and I'm like 'what the heck's going on?' This guy's in a suit with a mask. It's the Health Department guy, and they have three papers for us. For me, her and my daughter," he said.

The couple was ordered to wear ankle monitors. If they travel more than 200 feet, law enforcement will be notified.

"We didn't rob a store. We didn't steal something. We didn't hit and run. We didn't do anything wrong," Linscott said.

The couple said they never denied self-quarantining. They just didn't agree with the wording of the documents.

And, that's exactly what the Director of the Public Health Department told the judge, that I was refusing to self-quarantine because of this, and I'm like, 'that's not the case at all. I never said that,'" she said.

Linscott said even without the ankle monitor, she had planned to be cautious, and if she had needed medical care, she would have let healthcare workers know she was infected with the virus.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is not only illegal, it's wrong- clearly wrong. I hope they sue the shit out of whomever is pulling the strings.

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

If that nonsense becomes widespread, people will cease to be voluntarily tested.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not saying that is not true. But hard to believe.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19731 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Rioting or looting? Sure, go right ahead, we won't stop you...

https://abc7.com/health/couple...or-covid-19/6323759/

Kentucky Couple under house arrest after refusal to quarantine for COVID-19

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky -- A Kentucky couple is under house arrest after one of them tested positive for coronavirus and refused to sign self-quarantine papers.

Elizabeth Linscott got tested for COVID-19 because she was planning to go visit her parents.

"My grandparents wanted to see me, too, so, just to make sure that, you know, if I tested negative, that they would be okay, everything would be fine," Linscott said.

After testing positive but without showing any symptoms, Linscott told WAVE-TV the health department contacted her, requesting she sign documents.

"I agreed to comply to call the Health Department if I was to go. I was to call the Health Department if I was to leave my house for any reason," she said.

But, she chose not to sign.

"I had gotten a message from them, a text message that stated, because of your refusal to sign, this is going to be escalated, and law enforcement will be involved," she said.

Later that week, the county sheriff greeted Linscott's husband, Isaiah, at their front door.

"I open up the door, and there's like eight different people, five different cars, and I'm like 'what the heck's going on?' This guy's in a suit with a mask. It's the Health Department guy, and they have three papers for us. For me, her and my daughter," he said.

The couple was ordered to wear ankle monitors. If they travel more than 200 feet, law enforcement will be notified.

"We didn't rob a store. We didn't steal something. We didn't hit and run. We didn't do anything wrong," Linscott said.

The couple said they never denied self-quarantining. They just didn't agree with the wording of the documents.

And, that's exactly what the Director of the Public Health Department told the judge, that I was refusing to self-quarantine because of this, and I'm like, 'that's not the case at all. I never said that,'" she said.

Linscott said even without the ankle monitor, she had planned to be cautious, and if she had needed medical care, she would have let healthcare workers know she was infected with the virus.
It's attorney time folks. The settlement should be enormous.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Drove through the Navajo Nation yesterday from the north (Mexican Hat), down through Kayenta, Monument Valley, Tuba, then picked up 89 down to Cameron. The Big Rez is locked down. There are “shelter in place” rules and a curfew; both are “strictly enforced.” No restaurants are open—-not even the drive thru at fast food restaurants! It’s eerie. Passed by dozens of roadside jewelry tables, none are open. Even the big trading posts are closed. I can’t help but be concerned for those Indians dependent on tourists for spending money, and of course, if the big trading posts like Cameron are closed, even the real artists in jewelry and weaving aren’t making anything. Saw a crude, handmade sign in Monument Valley that said, “Go Home! Stay Home!” Pretty sad

Posts: 13582 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Even with all of the fake 'new cases' reported based on faulty testing... it's possible that the 'peak' even in Florida may have been hit a week ago.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24610 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
A VERY lengthy essay, but WELL worth the read. Dennis Prager had the author on his show today. I will not post the entire essay, as it's quite lengthy...

The COVID Coup
Angelo Codevilla

And how to unlock ourselves.

Panicked by fears manufactured by the ruling class, the American people assented to being put essentially under house arrest until further notice, effectively suspending the habits, preferences, and liberties that had defined our way of life. Most Americans have suffered economic damage. Many who do not enjoy protected status have had careers ended and been reduced to penury. Social strains and suicides multiplied. Forcibly deferring all manner of medical care is sure to impose needless suffering and death. In sum, the lockdowns’ medical and economic dysfunctions make for multiples of the deaths and miseries of the COVID-19 virus itself.

Bad judgments and usurpations—the scam, not the germs—define this disaster’s dimensions. The COVID-19’s devastating effect on the U.S. body politic is analogous to what diseases do to persons whom age (senectus ipsa est morbus) and various debilities and corruptions had already placed on death’s slippery slope.

Outside of the few who have gained (and are still gaining) power and wealth from the panic, Americans are asking what it will take to end this outrage—not to modify it with any “new normal” decided by who knows whom, on who knows what authority. Since no one in authority is leading those who want to end it, Americans also wonder who may lead that cause. What follows suggests answers.

What history will record as the great COVID scam of 2020 is based on 1) a set of untruths and baseless assertions—often outright lies—about the novel coronavirus and its effects; 2) the production and maintenance of physical fear through a near-monopoly of communications to forestall challenges to the U.S.. ruling class, led by the Democratic Party, 3) defaulted opposition on the part of most Republicans, thus confirming their status as the ruling class’s junior partner. No default has been greater than that of America’s Christian churches—supposedly society’s guardians of truth.
[snip]

Angelo Codevilla is a Senior Fellow of the Claremont Institute and professor emeritus of International Relations at Boston University.

https://americanmind.org/essays/the-covid-coup/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
A VERY lengthy essay, but WELL worth the read. Dennis Prager had the author on his show today. I will not post the entire essay, as it's quite lengthy...

Angelo Codevilla is a Senior Fellow of the Claremont Institute and professor emeritus of International Relations at Boston University.

Yes, please take time to read this.

And thanks for posting it, erj_pilot

Posts: 16185 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
New York Times article (via the science journal Nature)

=======================================================

During Coronavirus Lockdowns, Some Doctors Wondered: Where Are the Preemies?

Hospitals in several countries saw dips in premature births, which could be a starting point for future research.

By Elizabeth Preston

July 19, 2020

This spring, as countries around the world told people to stay home to slow the spread of the coronavirus, doctors in neonatal intensive care units were noticing something strange: Premature births were falling, in some cases drastically.

It started with doctors in Ireland and Denmark. Each team, unaware of the other’s work, crunched the numbers from its own region or country and found that during the lockdowns, premature births — especially the earliest, most dangerous cases — had plummeted. When they shared their findings, they heard similar anecdotal reports from other countries.

They don’t know what caused the drop in premature births, and can only speculate as to the factors in lockdown that might have contributed. But further research might help doctors, scientists and parents-to-be understand the causes of premature birth and ways to prevent it, which have been elusive until now. Their studies are not yet peer reviewed, and have been posted only on preprint servers. In some cases the changes amounted to only a few missing babies per hospital. But they represented significant reductions from the norm, and some experts in premature birth think the research is worthy of additional investigation.

“These results are compelling,” said Dr. Denise Jamieson, an obstetrician at Emory University’s School of Medicine in Atlanta.

About one in 10 U.S. babies is born early. Pregnancy usually lasts about 40 weeks, and any delivery before 37 weeks is considered preterm. The costs to children and their families — financially, emotionally and in long-term health effects — can be great. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, babies born premature, especially before 32 weeks, are at higher risk of vision and hearing problems, cerebral palsy and death.

The best way to avoid these costs would be to prevent early births in the first place, said Dr. Roy Philip, a neonatologist at University Maternity Hospital Limerick in Ireland.

Dr. Philip had been vacationing abroad when his country entered lockdown on March 12, and he noticed something unusual when he returned to work in late March. He asked why there had been no orders while he was gone for the breast milk-based fortifier that doctors feed to the hospital’s tiniest preemies. The hospital’s staff said that there had been no need, because none of these babies had been born all month.

Intrigued, Dr. Philip and his colleagues compared the hospital’s births so far in 2020 with births between January and April in every year since 2001 — more than 30,000 in all. They looked at birth weights, a useful proxy for very premature birth.

“Initially I thought, ‘There is some mistake in the numbers,’” Dr. Philip said.

Over the past two decades, babies under 3.3 pounds, classified as very low birth weight, accounted for about eight out of every thousand live births in the hospital, which serves a region of 473,000 people. In 2020, the rate was about a quarter of that. The very tiniest infants, those under 2.2 pounds and considered extremely low birth weight, usually make up three per thousand births. There should have been at least a few born that spring — but there had been none.

The study period went through the end of April. By the end of June, with the national lockdown easing, Dr. Philip said there had still been very few early preemies born in his hospital. In two decades, he said, he had never seen anything like these numbers.

While the Irish team was digging into its data, researchers in Denmark were doing the same thing, driven by curiosity over a “nearly empty” NICU. Dr. Michael Christiansen of the Statens Serum Institut in Copenhagen and his colleagues used newborn screening data to compare births nationwide during the strictest lockdown period, March 12 to April 14, with births during the same period in the previous five years. The data set included more than 31,000 infants.

The researchers found that during the lockdown, the rate of babies born before 28 weeks had dropped by a startling 90 percent.

Anecdotes from doctors at other hospitals around the world suggest the phenomenon may have been widespread, though not universal.

Dr. Belal Alshaikh, a neonatologist at the University of Calgary in Alberta, said premature births across Calgary dropped by nearly half during the lockdown. The change was across the board, though it seemed more pronounced in the earliest babies, he said.

At Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, Dr. Irwin Reiss, a neonatologist, saw a smaller drop-off in premature births.

At Mercy Hospital for Women outside Melbourne, Australia, there were so few premature babies that administrators asked Dr. Dan Casalaz, the hospital’s director of pediatrics, to figure out what was going on.

In the United States, Dr. Stephen Patrick, a neonatologist at Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital in Nashville, estimated there were about 20 percent fewer NICU babies at his hospital than usual in March. Although some sick full-term babies would stay in the NICU, Dr. Patrick said preterm babies usually made up most of the patients, and the drop-off seemed to have been driven by missing preemies.

When Dr. Patrick shared his observation on Twitter, some U.S. doctors shared similar stories. Others said their NICUs were as busy as ever. Some groups in other countries have said they didn’t see a change, either.

If lockdowns prevented early births in certain places but not others, that information could help reveal causes of premature birth. The researchers speculated about potential factors.

One could be rest. By staying home, some pregnant women may have experienced less stress from work and commuting, gotten more sleep and received more support from their families, the researchers said.

Women staying at home also could have avoided infections in general, not just the new coronavirus. Some viruses, such as influenza, can raise the odds of premature birth.

Air pollution, which has been linked to some early births, has also dropped during lockdowns as cars stayed off the roads.

Dr. Jamieson said the observations were surprising because she would have expected to see more preterm births during the stress of the pandemic, not less.

“It seems like we have experienced tremendous stress in the U.S. due to Covid,” she said.

But all pregnant women may not have experienced the lockdowns in the same way, she said, as different countries have different social safety nets in general, and the stress of unemployment and financial insecurity may have affected communities unevenly.

Some later premature births also might have been avoided during lockdowns simply because doctors weren’t inducing mothers for reasons like high blood pressure, Dr. Jamieson said. But that wouldn’t explain a change in very early preterm births, as the Danish and Irish authors found.

“The causes of preterm birth have been elusive for decades, and ways to prevent preterm births have been largely unsuccessful,” Dr. Jamieson said. According to the C.D.C., premature births in the United States rose in 2018 for the fourth straight year. White women had about a 9 percent risk of premature birth in 2018, while African-American women’s risk was 14 percent.

If the trends in the data are confirmed, the pandemic and lockdowns could be something like a natural experiment that might help researchers understand why premature birth happens and how to avoid it. Maybe some maternity leave should start before a mother’s due date, for example.

The Danish and Irish researchers have now teamed up and are building an international group of collaborators to study how Covid lockdowns affected early births.

“For years, nothing has advanced in this very important area,” Dr. Christiansen said, “and it seems it took a virus attack to help us get on track.”

LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47699 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
immediate family member is recovering currently

very fit individual (probably top 1%) and is doing well

fortunately seems to have been mild but as others have stated -- the long-term effects aren't well understood

f&%k China

totally unrelated --

does anyone know if the 'spike' in positive tests results include 'double counted' people?

for instance -- to go back to work you have to get tested and come back negative. you have already tested positive... but after a week you go back and get a second test and it comes back 'still' positive. Is that counted in the 'daily' number or is there some mechanism they are counting only 'first time positives'?

the numbers are highly unreliable IMO

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does anyone know if the 'spike' in positive tests results include 'double counted' people?

for instance -- to go back to work you have to get tested and come back negative. you have already tested positive... but after a week you go back and get a second test and it comes back 'still' positive. Is that counted in the 'daily' number or is there some mechanism they are counting only 'first time positives'?

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not according to our state health officer. I am sure there are mistakes made since we are dealing with people. Frankly, I think there is an underestimate of cases.

Posts: 17502 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Not according to our state health officer. I am sure there are mistakes made since we are dealing with people. Frankly, I think there is an underestimate of cases.

i totally agree we have always had more infected cases than what shows up 'in the numbers'

my concern is more related to the daily hysteria of 'COVID CASES SPIKING !!!' which I think isn't so

we are just testing WAY more people now -- and possibly even double counting some to claim a 'SPIKE' has occurred

but at this point who knows. its a virus with no vaccine or cure. all we can do at this point is take reasonable precautions.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
You guys need to do yourself a favor and read this essay. It discusses the very topic of "CASES"...

Educate yourselves, people.......

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
This is not only illegal, it's wrong- clearly wrong. I hope they sue the shit out of whomever is pulling the strings.

Jefe, If you think that is fucked up, try this one.

quote:
Broward County Orders Wearing of Masks in YOUR HOME, subject to penalties for noncompliance

According to Broward County’s order, Section 4 : “Residential Property Residents. All persons who reside on any residential property, whether single family or multi-family, and irrespective of whether they own or rent the property, must ensure that all persons on the residential property, including guests, comply with all applicable guidelines of any Broward County Emergency Order, including the facial covering requirements. Residents who fail to ensure compliance with all applicable Broward County Emergency Orders by such persons shall be subject to the penalties set forth in Section 8-56 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances, with each person present and in violation of an applicable Emergency Order constituting a separate violation.”

More at link

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32032 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Read it. It is long, but read all of it.

Posts: 11416 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
That reads like the War and Peace novel.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19731 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Effective July 22: To protect our customers and associates from COVID-19, masks are mandatory in all stores."

My message to Kroger, and you, too, can send them a message from that Contact page in the link above:

Never again will I set foot in any Kroger store. I do hope that the imbeciles in Kroger management who swallowed all the lies and who are foolish enough to treat their customers this way live long enough to see the truth come out about the way this "pandemic" has been used as a political bludgeon, and the truth *will* come out eventually, as it does, always. The only question is how long it takes for the truth to become evident. To be sure, COVID-19 exists, and people have died from it, but America didn't react this way to the pandemic of 2009/2010. Ask yourself why this is so, if you can even muster the courage to be honest about it. Farewell, you virtue-signalling, bed-wetting halfwits. No more. Never again, Kroger. Never again will you see one single cent from me. And you know what you can do with your idiotic masks.

Posts: 109088 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post