SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
He should really be wearing floaties, goggles, nose plugs, and a swimming hat that close to the pool. Safety is our first concern.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
So how does Florida not reporting the negatives impact the daily numbers? False positives?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
It's like this: if I tell you we tested 100 people and they all tested positive, that means the virus is spreading and infecting everyone. If I tell you we tested 10,000 people and only 100 tested positive, that means only 1% of those tested have been infected, and the disease isn't spreading fast at all.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Now the whole false positives and false negatives reveal how accurate the test is, and how much confidence we should have in the numbers as a whole. Since the authorities REFUSE to publish error bars or confidence intervals in the active case tests, that means the tests aren't the "gold standard" they keep telling us they are. Notice the accuracy of the antibody test is acknowledged to be about 80%, so I'm thinking the active test might be worse than that.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
There are none so dishonest as woke scientists pursuing the agenda.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Next the super bees.

No, no. They're "murder hornets" that kill bees. Smile

Don't forget the Plague Squirrels
https://abcnews.go.com/US/squi...do/story?id=71769840

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15,000 new positives in a day is ”Fake News”

9% Positives in a day is ”Real News”

Which hurts Republican’s more?

MSM will do anything and tell any lie to discredit Trump or a Republican Governor (Florida).

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2084 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I like the headlines that say the number of cases/hospitalizations/deaths continue to rise as if there was a chance those numbers were going to fall.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Georgia governor bans cities, counties from mandating masks
quote:
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is banning cities and counties from mandating that masks be worn in public to limit the spread of COVID-19.

Kemp's executive order is a revised extension of guidelines put in place during the start of the pandemic, which encouraged, rather than required, residents to wear masks in public. The governor has called implementing such a measure “a bridge too far."

The executive order reads in part: “State, county, or municipal law, order, ordinance, rule, or regulation that requires persons to wear face coverings, masks, face shields, or any other Personal Protective Equipment while in places of public accommodation or on public property are suspended to the extent that they are more restrictive than this Executive Order."

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Kemp is one of the only Governors that has proven to value personal liberties at least as much as self preservation. Terrified herd animals are dangerous.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The executive order reads in part: “I ban your ban and ban you from banning!"

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ And he's been proven to be right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not the Gov, but the Lt. Gov in AL.

“An overstep”: Lieutenant governor bemoans governor’s statewide mask order

quote:

Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth speaks during a video message. (LT. GOV.'S OFFICE)
Within minutes of Gov. Kay Ivey’s announcement Wednesday of her decision to issue a statewide face mask order, which goes into effect Thursday at 5 p.m., Lt. Gov. Will Ainsworth came out against the measure.

U.S. Sen. Doug Jones, D-Alabama, however issued a statement in support of Ivey’s decision, which Jones said was evidence that Ivey was clearly following advice from health care professionals.

New cases, deaths and hospitalizations due to coronavirus have continued to surge in recent weeks, worrying public health experts as the supply of available intensive care beds stateside continues to dwindle.

Tracking COVID-19 in Alabama
We are tracking the spread of COVID-19 on our data and mapping dashboard.SEE DASHBOARD »
Ainsworth, who’s battled Ivey on COVID-19 matters several times throughout the pandemic, said in a statement after Ivey’s announcement that he encourages the wearing of masks and social distancing to slow the spread of COVID-19, but that he’s against a statewide order to do so.

“Issuing a statewide face mask mandate, however, is an overstep that infringes upon the property rights of business owners and the ability of individuals to make their own health decisions,” Ainsworth said. “In addition, it imposes a one-size-fits-all, big government requirement on counties that currently have low to moderate infection rates and little need for such a mandate.”

“Masks should be worn to combat further outbreaks, and while I admire Gov. Ivey’s leadership and her on-going efforts, I also believe a statewide order is the wrong way to go about encouraging their use,” Ainsworth continued.

Jones, however, sees the decision as a necessary step to slow the spread of the deadly virus, which has killed at least 1,183 Alabamians so far.

Public Service Announcement

“Governor Ivey did the right thing today by enacting a statewide mask policy. Unlike her counterparts in other Deep South states, Governor Ivey is clearly following the advice of health care professionals. Many Alabama communities in COVID-19 hotspots have already taken this step, which will help limit the spread of this virus and reduce the strain on our struggling hospitals and health care workers, and it just makes sense to do it on a statewide basis,” Jones said in a statement. “We all want to move past this deadly, disruptive pandemic. By taking the simple steps of wearing a mask and social distancing, we can each do our part to protect lives and livelihoods.”

If these yahoos could stop with the arm-wrestling after the fact and settle this in advance, one way or the other, that might help as well.

Yeah, never, I know.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Kinda the same in Texas. Lt. Governor Dan Patrick wasn't too pleased with all the mask "orders" set in place and the calls from the idiot savants Turner and Hooch...errm...I mean Hidalgo, to shut down the state again. But I don't think he came out publicly against Governor Abbott...I believe he blasted the CDC and/or the WHO (not the band).

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Ohio Governor Dewine is scaring us again. Ohio is "sliding". Kroger and Walmart are going to require face masks now. I'm at a loss. Part of me thinks here we go again and part of me says that maybe the people will stand up this time. It is still unclear whether kids will be going to school or not. Sorry working parents, come up with a plan that doesn't involve your kids being grouped together with other kids.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Georgia governor bans cities, counties from mandating masks

It's interesting that he requests everyone to wear a mask but won't mandate it.

Don't get me wrong, it's all about personal freedom vs authoritarianism and I applaud him for that. It's just that in today's culture you can't find a politician like that anymore!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
The Governor of Georgia gets it and deserves reelection. Many of these politicians are treating this as just another political issue that should be navigated in such a way as to alienate the fewest voters. Personal liberties are fine, but the terrified herd must be pacified that 'something' is being done.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's interesting that he requests everyone to wear a mask but won't mandate it.

Don't get me wrong, it's all about personal freedom vs authoritarianism and I applaud him for that. It's just that in today's culture you can't find a politician like that anymore!

Yep. If you want to wear a mask, wear it.
But don't shove it in our faces! No force!

Laura Ingraham did her "Angle" last night on the effectiveness of mask wearing.

Laura Ingraham: What they're not telling you:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
TX had deadliest day of the virus so far, 110 deaths yesterday. Dallas County Coroner has fired up their fridge truck for dead bodies but not all are Covid related. Good news is hospitalizations are down today. We'll know something by Monday if Abbot is going to shut a bunch of shit down again.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post