SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Opinion piece from The Wall Street Journal
=======================================

Covid’s Harrowing Complications

By Henry I. Miller

It’s good news that the death rate from Covid-19 has trended dramatically downward since April, even as the number of new cases is surging. But it’s far from the whole story.

Unlike common colds caused by other coronaviruses, Covid-19 is more than a transient, self-limited respiratory infection. There have been numerous reports of nonrespiratory manifestations, including loss of smell or taste, confusion and cognitive impairments, fainting, sudden muscle weakness or paralysis, seizures, ischemic strokes, kidney damage, abnormal blood-coagulation tests, transmission to an unborn child via the placenta, and a severe (though rare) pediatric inflammatory syndrome. Recovery is sometimes incomplete, with some patients experiencing long-term adverse effects that resemble a condition variously known as myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome.

As the name suggests, CFS is group of symptoms that seem to define an illness, even if we don’t know how they’re related or what causes them. Signs and symptoms may include fatigue, loss of memory or concentration, sore throat, swelling of neck or armpit lymph nodes, unexplained muscle or joint pain, headaches, nonrestorative sleep and extreme exhaustion that lasts more than 24 hours after physical exercise or mental stimulation. People with CFS are often incapable of performing ordinary activities and sometimes become completely debilitated, unable to get out of bed. Manifestations of the syndrome can persist for years.

In recent decades, a range of long-term complaints resembling those of chronic fatigue syndrome have followed outbreaks of infectious diseases, including West Nile virus, H1N1 influenza, and Ebola, as well as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, both of which are also caused by coronaviruses. It’s therefore no surprise to see similar complications in Covid-19 patients, though we don’t know their long-term course.

The appearance of serious Covid-19 sequelae has important implications. First, fatalities aside, the increase in cases and the high numbers of hospitalizations in epicenters of infection can’t be dismissed. We still need to suppress and mitigate Covid-19 aggressively. The fewer new cases, the fewer lingering illnesses there will be, with all their attendant misery and expense.

Second, the persistence of debilitating symptoms argues strongly against “human challenge trials” of vaccines, in which the infectious virus is intentionally administered to volunteers, some of whom would receive a trial vaccine while others get a placebo. In the absence of very effective drugs to treat Covid-19, such studies would be unethical.

Finally, we need to anticipate and prepare for a wave of post-Covid illnesses with systematic research to understand better the pathophysiology of both the acute viral infection and its relationship to CFS and other sequelae. The sad truth is that we are still in the early days of this pandemic.

Dr. Miller, a physician and molecular biologist, is a senior fellow at the Pacific Research Institute. He was founding director of the Office of Biotechnology at the FDA.

LINK

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47698 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
"Effective July 22: To protect our customers and associates from COVID-19, masks are mandatory in all stores."

My message to Kroger, and you, too, can send them a message from that Contact page in the link above:

Never again will I set foot in any Kroger store. I do hope that the imbeciles in Kroger management who swallowed all the lies and who are foolish enough to treat their customers this way live long enough to see the truth come out about the way this "pandemic" has been used as a political bludgeon, and the truth *will* come out eventually, as it does, always. The only question is how long it takes for the truth to become evident. To be sure, COVID-19 exists, and people have died from it, but America didn't react this way to the pandemic of 2009/2010. Ask yourself why this is so, if you can even muster the courage to be honest about it. Farewell, you virtue-signalling, bed-wetting halfwits. No more. Never again, Kroger. Never again will you see one single cent from me. And you know what you can do with your idiotic masks.

I got the same email from Publix:

Masks On, Please
Face coverings are required at all Publix stores beginning July 21 to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8932 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Wow. Sigfreund's post reminds me of the first recorded large-scale outbreak of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1984 at Incline Village, NV (northshore Lake Tahoe). They linked it to the Epstein-Barr virus.

That would truly suck to somehow survive some viscious respiratory disorder, only to find that recovery consists of dealing with some of the over 100 symptoms of CFS, perhaps for years, possibly for the rest of your life.

As some of you know, I've battled CFS since 1976. Doing pretty well currently, but there's some 40 years of my life I'll never get back.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16935 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Effective July 22: To protect our customers and associates from COVID-19, masks are mandatory in all stores."

Masks On, Please
Face coverings are required at all Publix stores beginning July 21 to help limit the spread of COVID-19.

Our local grocery stores are doing the same thing. No mask, no service.

I wonder what they will do if I just say "Medical" and walk by? Because there are supposed to be exceptions...

People will be required to wear masks while inside the stores. There are exceptions for young children under the age of 9 and people with medical conditions who are unable to wear a face mask or covering.

Schnucks and Dierbergs will provide complimentary masks, one per customer, for a limited time and while supplies last.

https://www.kmov.com/news/mask...9a-d38c05bbf3c5.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:

Masks On, Please

Local news radio reported that Ingles is requiring a mask effective today. Harris Teeter starts tomorrow and Bi-Lo will require one starting 7/27. Roll Eyes

Posts: 2693 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here's a list of national chains requiring masks now. More coming for sure.

Sam's Club
Costco
Best Buy
Starbucks
Apple Store
Dollar Tree
Menards
Walmart
American Eagle
Kroger
Kohl's
CVS
Target
Publix
Lowe's
Home Depot
ALDI
Whole Foods
Macy's
Gap
PetSmart
Office Depot

https://www.businessinsider.co...20-7#office-depot-22

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess Delta got wise to people claiming a medical exemption. Pretty soon some locales are going to require screening just to leave your damn house.

Delta Air Lines has implemented a new policy for enforcing masks on its planes that will require those who cannot wear face coverings for health reasons to fill out a new clearance screener for each flight.

The company announced the new policy, effective this week, and said that it is currently discouraging those with health conditions who cannot wear masks from flying altogether. Delta characterized the Clearance-To-Fly screening as a “virtual consultation process,” which CNN reported involves speaking by phone with the carrier’s third-party partner STAT-MD. That partner would ultimately determine the individual’s ability to fly.

“Medical research tells us that wearing a mask is one of the most effective ways to reduce the covid-19 infection rate,” the spokesperson said. “That’s why Delta remains committed to requiring customers and employees to wear a mask or face covering as a consistent layer of protection across all Delta touchpoints. We encourage customers who are prevented from wearing a mask due to a health condition to reconsider travel.”

However, the spokesperson added, should passengers be prevented from wearing a mask, they are “welcome to fly upon completing a virtual consultation prior to departure at the airport to ensure everyone’s safety.”

According to the company, the consultation can take up to an hour to complete. If a customer is not cleared for exemption from wearing a mask, they’ll be denied boarding unless they agree to comply with Delta’s mask policy. If they still do not agree to wear a mask, they’ll be placed on Delta’s no-fly list.

G/O Media may get a commission

Listen, you definitely do not want to risk becoming the American Airlines dweeb of your flight. Just wear a dang mask.

https://gizmodo.com/thought-yo...t-mask-po-1844448361

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 688 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Here's is Prager's interview with Dr. Codevilla, the author of the small novella I posted yesterday. Unfortunately, the audio is VERY muffled (OK...it really sucks) on Dr. Codevilla's end, so it might take an uncomfortable volume level to hear him. I sent an e-mail to Dennis to see if he had a transcript of the call...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Masks On, Please

Our local grocery stores are doing the same thing. No mask, no service.

I wonder what they will do if I just say "Medical" and walk by? Because there are supposed to be exceptions...

People will be required to wear masks while inside the stores. There are exceptions for young children under the age of 9 and people with medical conditions who are unable to wear a face mask or covering.

Schnucks and Dierbergs will provide complimentary masks, one per customer, for a limited time and while supplies last.

https://www.kmov.com/news/mask...9a-d38c05bbf3c5.html
Personally, I think these companies are very close to running amok of Federal HIPPA laws. Consider....I go to the grocery store and tell the clown at the door I cannot wear a mask due to having asthma. I do not think they can discriminate and forbid me entry, nor do I think they have any right under HIPPA to my medical information. This mask BS is likely to result in a flood of new lawsuits.

Oh, and if one more dip-shit tells me to wear a mask because it "impedes the spread of the virus" without offering me 'any' proof whatsoever of that outcome, I'm going to suggest they go get stuffed.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
does anyone know if the 'spike' in positive tests results include 'double counted' people?

for instance -- to go back to work you have to get tested and come back negative. you have already tested positive... but after a week you go back and get a second test and it comes back 'still' positive. Is that counted in the 'daily' number or is there some mechanism they are counting only 'first time positives'?

the numbers are highly unreliable IMO

---------------------------

In MN - they're counting positive TESTS - not actual positive cases/individuals - some have had 5+ (I've heard as high as 1 per day) positive tests before they're 'cleared'... They claim that this somehow provides 'transparency'

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1767 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
they're counting positive TESTS - not actual positive cases/individuals - some have had 5+ (I've heard as high as 1 per day) positive tests

Soon we will have more "positive cases" than people.
Perhaps in some of the same places where we have more votes than registered voters... Roll Eyes

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24609 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, I think these companies are very close to running amok of Federal HIPPA laws. Consider....I go to the grocery store and tell the clown at the door I cannot wear a mask due to having asthma. I do not think they can discriminate and forbid me entry, nor do I think they have any right under HIPPA to my medical information. This mask BS is likely to result in a flood of new lawsuits.

Oh, and if one more dip-shit tells me to wear a mask because it "impedes the spread of the virus" without offering me 'any' proof whatsoever of that outcome, I'm going to suggest they go get stuffed.

You're gonna need to brush up on your HIPAA law then. Not just the actual spelling, but the underlying law. Sure it provides penalties for inappropriate disclosures of PHI but not for asking for a reason for an exception to a policy let alone some perceived infringement on your rights.

I also recall that we've generally supported private business' right to prescribe whatever rules they want for access to their business. If we don't like it, we just move on, even if it's a prohibition to carry on site, etc. How is this somehow a different rule set?

And lastly others have suggested all the way back into spring months that engaging in arguments/battles with employees tasked with enforcing their employer's rules, right or wrong, is just bad form. These folks are just trying to keep a job, they aren't setting policy.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12691 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
You're gonna need to brush up on your HIPAA law then. Not just the actual spelling, but the underlying law. Sure it provides penalties for inappropriate disclosures of PHI but not for asking for a reason for an exception to a policy let alone some perceived infringement on your rights.

This is a correct explanation of HIPAA law.

quote:
I also recall that we've generally supported private business' right to prescribe whatever rules they want for access to their business. If we don't like it, we just move on, even if it's a prohibition to carry on site, etc. How is this somehow a different rule set?

That has long been my understanding and some responses to the contrary from the same members surprise me.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14250 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
does the COVID19 test return a positive test is you've had the flu

does it differentiate between the two?

I'm thinking the test may be essentially worthless

Posts: 53805 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

One difference I see is that concealed carry in many states is a privilege in that it requires a permit. Not everyone does it. Everyone does eat however and when you take Walmart and Kroger out of the equation there aren't many options in my small town. I understand your perspective but I do think they are little different.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5721 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Teachers unions sue Florida governor over order requiring schools to reopen

The lawsuit, filed in state court in Miami, asks a judge to issue an injunction blocking DeSantis from going through with the statewide mandate, which the unions claim would "force millions of public school students and employees to report to brick and mortar schools that should remain closed during the resurgence of COVID-19 cases."

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...requiring-schools-to

-rduckwor

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the biggest threat to public education isn't the kids, its the teachers...

wanna get the teachers back in the school, stop paying them until they go back to work

I think the best thing that has come out of this manufactured crisis is that its shown that we can get along just fine without public education - home schooling is the way to go

Posts: 53805 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
School closures may be blamed on the coronavirus, but the actual reason has more to do with saving money.

I don't believe keeping schools closed saves money. Most of the expenditures are fixed. All off the staff, administration, and teachers will still be getting paid. I guess they can save money on subs and bus drivers.

My county school board vote unanimously today to start August 31st instead if August 10th. My question is why? What does it accomplish? What the hell have they been doing since March 13th that they don't have a plan to reopen on time and all of the sudden they need three extra weeks to be ready?

The Governor's administration that said schools must open in August and I think these districts are giving them the middle finger by saying fine, we'll open the very last day in August then. I doubt even in my district there's a single conservative on the school board.

quote:
wanna get the teachers back in the school, stop paying them until they go back to work

Exactly what should happen and include the administrators as well.

Posts: 11661 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
does the COVID19 test return a positive test is you've had the flu

does it differentiate between the two?

I'm thinking the test may be essentially worthless

The current swab test (which I just took) is highly specific for SARS-CoV-2, being based on the detection of specific genetic material. I mean like 99.XX%. There's virtually no chance of a different virus triggering a false positive. However, it's sensitivity is not as high as the previous test (which required deep insertion into the nasal cavity). So there's some chance of a false negative.

The antibody test is more problematic. Other strains of coronavirus may trigger a false positive. Also, a lot depends on timing, i.e. if the body has had enough time (a week or three) to develop antibodies, and how long they stick around after.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16935 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this has previously been posted... there was one posted July 11, but I think this is different.

Dr Jeffrey Barke Speaks Out On COVID 19 Madness

Dr. Jeffrey I. Barke, MD, a family practice physician based in Newport Beach, CA speaks out on the COVID-19 madness gripping the country during a rally in Riverside, CA.

-rduckwor