SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 ... 1204
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm at the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri and all indications are that our population will swell by 250,000 plus this weekend and possibly more....even yesterday the bars and restaurants I drove by were packed. Lots of people from the large cities in surrounding states will be here.
It will be an interesting weekend.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We are having a small family get-together Saturday, probably be 20 people here. Looking forward to it. We have a pretty big place and a large courtyard, so if they want to keep their distance they can do that if they choose. Hand sanitizer is still hard to come by, I might try to track some down and have that available.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We are having a small family get-together Saturday, probably be 20 people here. Looking forward to it. We have a pretty big place and a large courtyard, so if they want to keep their distance they can do that if they choose. Hand sanitizer is still hard to come by, I might try to track some down and have that available.

Get in touch with your local distillery. They are making it left and right, heck, our local gin and whiskey folks are giving it away. I believe it’s a byproduct of the distilling process.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5275 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Get in touch with your local distillery. They are making it left and right, heck, our local gin and whiskey folks are giving it away. I believe it’s a byproduct of the distilling process.

Good tip, didn't know that. Hmm, there are a couple of small winery places around here, I might contact them.

SummersAtTheLake: Yeah, it will be busy around here for sure. They are talking about some storms over the weekend which will push them off the Lake and make things even worse. Good weekend to stay home. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

Good tip, didn't know that. Hmm, there are a couple of small winery places around here, I might contact them.

SummersAtTheLake: Yeah, it will be busy around here for sure. They are talking about some storms over the weekend which will push them off the Lake and make things even worse. Good weekend to stay home. Smile

My wife bought a fifth of hand sanitiser that a local distillery was selling & she puts it in some small spray bottles that she has, for sanitising hands, surfaces, etc.

The only problem is that your hands smell like booze afterwards, so if you're driving & get stopped by a cop, you may have some explaining to do.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great column from Ann Coulter this week:

CORONAVIRUS DOESN’T JUST KILL PEOPLE — IT’S WHITE!
By Ann Coulter

I guess now it’s OK to identify viruses by where they came from. Lately, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been calling COVID-19 the “European virus” 1 million times per press conference.

Here’s Cuomo at a single briefing last week: “… the virus that had attacked us from Europe … the virus came from Europe … the virus was coming from Europe … New York is where the European flights were coming in … Virus came from Europe … we had this European virus attack us … we had people coming from Europe bringing the virus.”

So “European virus” it is!

Who cares? It’s like referring to Muhammed the terrorist as “British man.” Verdict: true, but misleading. No one, not even the freaks at The New York Times, testy with Trump for calling it the “China virus,” disputes that “COVID-19” originated in China.

Yes, the virus carriers who infected New Yorkers arrived on planes from Milan, but they were infected by travelers from China.

Where did it come from before Europe?

I don’t know. I’ve lost my notes. Why do you ask?

To call it the “European virus” simply refers to the last transmitter. Chris Cuomo, the governor’s brother, got coronavirus, then infected his wife and son. He was the proximate cause of his family’s infections, just as people flying to JFK from Europe were the proximate cause of the coronavirus infections in New York.

How about we start calling it the “Chris Cuomo virus”?

But New York Times writers were all atwitter about the governor’s stroke of genius in calling it “the European virus.” “[H]is current spin,” Gail Collins wrote, “seems like a smart approach.”

Please come up with some way for us to blame this virus on white people!

You’re thinking, “It can’t be that stupid.” Oh yes, it can! It is not possible to exaggerate the obsession these people have with identity politics.

That’s why the media decided to make Russia — not China or Saudi Arabia — the center of their lunatic conspiracy theory on Trump. The whole story was imaginary, so they could have chosen any country in the world. Why Russia?

Hillary got right to the point, calling Vladimir Putin “the leader of an authoritarian, white-supremacist and xenophobic movement.” She said Trump “seems to want to be like Putin, a white authoritarian leader who could put down dissenters …”

Are there any non-white authoritarians in the world? Any at all? Yes, but for the left, “white” is nothing but an evil intensifier, a verbal MSG.

The New York Times decided to officially brand itself an anti-white site by defiantly keeping writer Sarah Jeong on staff, despite a long record of lovely tweets like these:

“#cancelwhitepeople.”

“Dumb–s f—ing white people marking up the internet with their opinions like dogs pissing on fire hydrants.”

“White people have stopped breeding. You’ll all go extinct soon. This was my plan all along.”

“Are white people genetically disposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins?”

“oh man it’s kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to old white men.”

(One mistake old white men made was fighting and dying to liberate South Koreans like Ms. Jeong. So that’s on them. Score one for Ms. Jeong.)

There is ecstasy throughout media-land whenever …

1ST REFUGEE ELECTED TO CITY COUNCIL

It’s as if we’ve had this problem forever with superior refugee talent being shut out of U.S. elections. Wait — didn’t they just get here?

No matter. Journalists wet themselves with their feelings of virtue whenever they can stick a finger in the eye of historic white (and black) America.

Triumphant news stories about hardscrabble refugees winning elections are always chock-a-block with tales of the “racism” that had to be overcome to achieve these “historic” victories.

E.g.:

“Racist trolls targeted a Somali refugee’s campaign. She still managed to pull off a historic victory.” — The Washington Post

“’It’s mindblowing’: historic wins for two Somali-Americans amid ugly smears” — The Guardian

A candidate for political office got some mean tweets. Oh my gosh — that’s never happened before in the history of politics!

The only actual racism on display — that can be attached to a name — is usually from the refugees themselves. Safiya Khalid, the FIRST SOMALI REFUGEE elected to the Lewiston, Maine, city council, for example, told the Post her desire to run “came from watching city leadership remain stubbornly white.”

So yes, the reason liberals are swooning over Gov. Cuomo’s ingenious decision to call COVID-19 the “European virus” is because that makes the virus white. (Yuck!) The only way we could ever get liberals to call a new disease the “China virus” is if it originated in Africa, then migrated to China.

https://anncoulter.com/2020/05...ll-people-its-white/

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As restaurants re-open in Minnesota, it was announced yesterday that reservations were required.

Odd? Well this was done so that the Govt has a papertrail record of who ate there and when for tracking purposes. I'd like to introduce myself, Bob Berditzmen. Good to meet you!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12303 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
i love listen to this guy (even if he is a Canuck Razz) , sometimes a little too legalize for me but in general is on point.

Posts: 22851 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
As restaurants re-open in Minnesota, it was announced yesterday that reservations were required.

Odd? Well this was done so that the Govt has a papertrail record of who ate there and when for tracking purposes. I'd like to introduce myself, Bob Berditzmen. Good to meet you!

We make reservations under the name of Abe Froman....the Sausage King of Chicago. Smile

Reservations aren't required in my state, but I've noticed that a fair number of restaurants are asking that people make them before showing up.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I’ve been saying for awhile now that there are many many people who will never recover mentally from this. There won’t even be a new normal for them whatever it may be. Their lives from now on will be a existence of constant fear. Those people with the lake cabin are exhibit A. How long can people live like that before having a complete mental breakdown?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I'm at the Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri and all indications are that our population will swell by 250,000 plus this weekend and possibly more....even yesterday the bars and restaurants I drove by were packed. Lots of people from the large cities in surrounding states will be here.
It will be an interesting weekend.

My brother has a place there. He will be there. I'm sure it will be fun...
Fortunately, (or unfortunately, not sure which Razz Smile) I'll be in Tennessee visiting my daughters and the new grand-baby.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23931 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been saying for awhile now that there are many many people who will never recover mentally from this. There won’t even be a new normal for them whatever it may be. Their lives from now on will be a existence of constant fear. Those people with the lake cabin are exhibit A. How long can people live like that before having a complete mental breakdown?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am seeing this in my area. There are some people that have not left their home since March. Probably had underlying agoraphobia. Obssessive compulsive behavior, checking and rechecking, continual hand washing is on the increase. There are NO effective medications to treat these conditions. COVID 19 has created a mental health crisis for many people. People who drank heavily are now free to drink as they work from home. The prices of some drugs, ie meth and heroin have increased due to tighter border crossing requirements.

Posts: 17169 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Subscribed! Succinct and amusing. Thanks!

Posts: 3238 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Did a forum search and didn't see this story posted...but it probably shouldn't surprise anyone.

[Note: hyperlinks at the linked story website]

Researchers: Nearly Half Of Accounts Tweeting About Coronavirus Are Likely Bots

May 20, 202010:19 PM ET

Nearly half of the Twitter accounts spreading messages on the social media platform about the coronavirus pandemic are likely bots, researchers at Carnegie Mellon University said Wednesday.

Researchers culled through more than 200 million tweets discussing the virus since January and found that about 45% were sent by accounts that behave more like computerized robots than humans.

It is too early to say conclusively which individuals or groups are behind the bot accounts, but researchers said the tweets appeared aimed at sowing division in America.

"We do know that it looks like it's a propaganda machine, and it definitely matches the Russian and Chinese playbooks, but it would take a tremendous amount of resources to substantiate that," said Kathleen Carley, a professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University who is conducting a study into bot-generated coronavirus activity on Twitter that has yet to be published.

Researchers identified more than 100 false narratives about COVID-19 that are proliferating on Twitter by accounts controlled by bots.

Among the misinformation disseminated by bot accounts: tweeted conspiracy theories about hospitals being filled with mannequins or tweets that connected the spread of the coronavirus to 5G wireless towers, a notion that is patently untrue.

Such bogus ideas on the Internet have caused real-world harm. In England, dozens of wireless towers have been set on fire in acts officials believe have been fueled by false conspiracy theories linking the rollout of 5G technology to the coronavirus.

"We're seeing up to two times as much bot activity as we'd predicted based on previous natural disasters, crises and elections," Carley said.

Using a so-called bot-hunter tool, researchers flagged accounts that tweet more than is humanly possible or claim to be in multiple countries within a few hours' period. Researchers say they examine a Twitter account's followers, frequency of tweeting and how often the user is mentioned on the platform in determining whether the tweeter is a bot account.

"When we see a whole bunch of tweets at the same time or back to back, it's like they're timed," Carley said. "We also look for use of the same exact hashtag, or messaging that appears to be copied and pasted from one bot to the next."

A Twitter spokeswoman declined to comment on the Carnegie Mellon findings, but the company says it has removed thousands of tweets containing misleading or potentially harmful information about the coronavirus.

Twitter says its automated systems have "challenged" 1.5 million accounts that were targeting discussions about COVID-19 with malicious or manipulative behavior.

Last week, Twitter unveiled new labels that will accompany misleading, disputed or unverified tweets about the coronavirus, an effort that attempts to tamp down the rapid spread of tweets carrying harmful and false information about the global health crisis.

Where in the world most of the bot accounts are based is still being probed by researchers, though some reports have implicated Russian actors in the spread of misinformation in the U.S. amid the pandemic.

Reuters reported in March that Russian media have recently deployed a widespread disinformation campaign against the West to worsen the impact of the coronavirus to create panic and distrust.

Efforts to fight back against the spread of false information about COVID-19 come just as the federal government and election security experts keep a watchful eye on the November election.

American intelligence agencies concluded that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election. Experts believe Russian actors will try to influence the 2020 vote as well, including by using social media to amplify their messages.

Carley with Carnegie Mellon said countering bot accounts on Twitter is not a simple task. Blocked accounts can resurface, and the disinformation networks are sophisticated and difficult to completely root out.

She offers this advice, though: Look out for subtle typos, for tweets being sent out very quickly, or profile images and usernames that appear suspicious.

"Even if someone appears to be from your community, if you don't know them personally, take a closer look, and always go to authoritative or trusted sources for information," Carley said. "Just be very vigilant."

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
From the science journal Nature online “briefing”
=========================================

Virus ravages organs from heart to brain
Autopsies on 27 people with COVID-19 have found the coronavirus not only in the lungs, but also in the kidneys, liver, heart, brain and blood. By scrutinizing databases of genetic activity, researchers also found that three genes known to encourage SARS-CoV-2 infection are highly active in kidney cells. Additional analysis of six people detected virus in all examined kidney compartments, which helps to explain the kidney damage seen in some people with the illness.
Reference: The New England Journal of Medicine paper

LINKS:

https://us17.campaign-archive....766c5ad&e=4b6aea794d

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.10...-e3a766c5ad-43423637

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47361 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The “6 foot” rule is also a compromise.
No, the 6' rule is utter bullshit as has also been shown in studies to be inadequate to insure non-transfer of the virus. It's 'exactly' on par with the magazine capacity restriction saving lives BS. Let's see, if I make the rule 3' people will see it as all but irrelevant and ignore it. If I make the rule 12', people will see it as extreme and ignore it. So we'll set it at 6' because that's the distance that most people will accept and comply with. Wanna guarantee against getting or transmitting the virus, grab a hazmat suit and supplemental air tank. Short of that, wash your hands when appropriate (i.e. common sense), keep your hands away from your face (i.e. common sense), and stay home if you're sick (i.e. common sense). This whole thing is moved from silly, to absurd, to asinine, and now to fear based moronic delusion.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
If you're single you're totally screwed.

Dating these days is challenging enough. Try it when you have to wear mask, stay 6' away, and can't meet anywhere.

Oh, and don't forget haven't had a haircut since February.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37926 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
These witches in Michigan are out of control

"Michigan's attorney general said President Donald Trump will be told not to come back if he refuses to wear a face mask when he tours a Ford Motor plant"

'Honestly, if he fails to wear a mask, he's going to be asked not to return to any enclosed facility inside our state,' Dana Nessel, a Democrat, told CNN"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-wear-face-mask.html

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3580 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Let's see, if I make the rule 3' people will see it as all but irrelevant and ignore it. If I make the rule 12', people will see it as extreme and ignore it. So we'll set it at 6' because that's the distance that most people will accept and comply with.

Thanks for having actually read my post. I doubt many people do.
And thanks, too, for spelling out what I thought about including, but decided it would have tortured a bunch of electrons to no purpose. Your example is precisely why I called it a compromise. One is too much for people to accept, one too little for anyone to think is effective, so we pick something in between. Indeed, the whole “distancing” thing at all is a compromise between none and total enforced isolation, as reportedly occurred to some extent in China. The world is full of such decisions made on similar bases and many of them are called “compromises” at the time. Hence my use of the word as well.

And, oh: There is nothing about compromises that guarantees they will be effective in achieving their intended goals. In fact, if they achieve anything, it is very often the exact opposite effect because they don’t make anyone happy—unlike just choosing one extreme or the other and satisfying a few people.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47361 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
These witches in Michigan are out of control

"Michigan's attorney general said President Donald Trump will be told not to come back if he refuses to wear a face mask when he tours a Ford Motor plant"

'Honestly, if he fails to wear a mask, he's going to be asked not to return to any enclosed facility inside our state,' Dana Nessel, a Democrat, told CNN"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...-wear-face-mask.html

You missed the fact the the Governor issued an executive order this week banning all non-essential visits to manufacturers. Followed by the County Commissioner issuing a statement telling Trump not to visit.

With that said, it would set a good example for the President to follow the facility rules. No different than a hard hat, safety glasses, and ear plugs if required.

As a side note, our Quee... Sorry, governor is going to allow retail businesses to open Tuesday provided no more than 10 people are allowed in their facility. I'm sure Kolhs, Penney's, etc will be thrilled to have 50-80 employees working to support no more than 10 customers at any one time. And of course AFTER Memorial Day, further crushing sales.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37926 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post