SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jonrem:
I think we’ve got to lift the restrictions on business ASAP. We’re in uncharted territory economically. A quick drive around a normally bustling business district the other day was chilling. We’re effectively creating our own Great Depression. At some point, even the most stalwart social isolationist is going to have to concede that the healthcare system will have to be burned in sacrifice to the greater economy. I don’t think it’ll come to that, but I think we’re past the point we should be primarily concerned with overwhelming the healthcare system.

Return to business as usual, let this thing spread while it’s sunny and warm in most of the country. Enough so secondary spikes aren’t coming at us in the fall and winter when most of the country is stuck indoors and transmission easier. Even if restrictions are removed immediately, there are enough people who would choose to avoid dine in restaurants and bars, shopping malls, and public events that ”back to normal” isn’t going to be the old ”normal.” This thing is permanently burned in people’s psyches and isn’t going to spread like it conceivably might have a scant 30-60 days ago.

Practice good hygiene, (I travel frequently and am amazed at how many people never wash their hands after using airport and gas station bathrooms - maybe that will change.) consider isolating or taking other precautions if you’re high risk or want to choose to lower your risk, and let’s get this country back to work!

Well said!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I am now producing PPE shields at the rate of 400 per day.

The 3D printers and cnc router are running non stop and I am cutting polycarbonate shielding on my spare plotter.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34219 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
Test all of the population and quarantine those that tested positive for three weeks - voila: no more virus!

Fabulous concept and fatally flawed!

1) How long would it take to Test the population? You'd Need Instant, Accurate and Reliable Results.
2) You'd have to Test and Immediately segregate the population.

Logistically Impossible. Practicality= 0

Congress should be investigating This Issue Now! Trying to find a practical solution Now so there's an end game to the shutdown.

Working Hand in Hand with the President for the benefit of We the People.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The population of the world is 7.8 BILLION (thanks for the correction) and there are 2 Million infections world wide. Why are we ruining lives and business for such a small percentage? Precautions are fine but to willingly and eagerly bring the economy to a halt and bankrupt people is beyond ridiculous! This has to stop NOW! I've written my state and federal representatives and all I hear are crickets but maybe if everyone would deluge them they may begin to listen. We should damn sure remember them come next election.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleo205:
The population of the world is 3.85 BILLION and there are 2 Million infections world wide.

Umm, check those numbers. That was the population back in the early 70's.

Currently the number is about 7.8 billion.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
587,752 Confirmed Cases
23,765 Deaths*
44,207 Recovered
Total US Population = 331,002,651

*More than likely, this figure includes deaths of those found with or carrying the virus who may have actually died from other causes

The numbers speak for themselves. The Chi-Com Virus is certainly nothing to sneeze at; every case is regrettable and every death is a tragedy. But in the grand scheme of things, what it amounts to is nothing more than an anomaly that will make a typical flu season into a bad one. Yet, here we are sitting around as our lives, and more alarmingly, our national heritage and identity are being taken from us, putatively for our own good. Where have we heard that before?

Meanwhile, as the President is doing absolutely everything he can to try and lift the lockdown and resuscitate what was a $22 trillion economy...
http://ace.mu.nu/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The population of the world is 3.85 BILLION and there are 2 Million infections world wide. Why are we ruining lives and business for such a small percentage? Precautions are fine but to willingly and eagerly bring the economy to a halt and bankrupt people is beyond ridiculous!

At this point, as each day passes with fewer and fewer deaths, and it's obvious this isn't the plague, it is obvious this whole scamdemic has turned into a political fiasco.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
How are these stores bypassing the fire code by closing/blocking off exits?

That’s a great question.

We have to have a fire fighter or fire marshal on this board don't we?

I would guess that because the stores are limiting the number of people allowed inside the store, there only has to be a certain number of exits based on the total amount of people inside.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
The population of the world is 3.85 BILLION and there are 2 Million infections world wide.

Umm, check those numbers. That was the population back in the early 70's.

Currently the number is about 7.8 billion.

thanks, I must have looked at the wrong reference. that makes what is going on even worse.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The population of the world is 3.85 BILLION and there are 2 Million infections world wide. Why are we ruining lives and business for such a small percentage? Precautions are fine but to willingly and eagerly bring the economy to a halt and bankrupt people is beyond ridiculous! This has to stop NOW! I've written my state and federal representatives and all I hear are crickets but maybe if everyone would deluge them they may begin to listen. We should damn sure remember them come next election.

That’s 2 out of 3850 people. Your odds of winning the lottery aren’t that good.

Posts: 3963 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to get my head around this fiasco I looked into the # of Deaths in America during normal times:

In 2017 2,813,503 people died in America:
That's 7708 people a day.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13423 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Thank God for President Trump. I'd really like to see everyone in this thread support and trust in President Trump and the decisions he is making. By trusting in him, you are trusting in all of the advisers in whom he trusts, including Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx. Trump trusts them. You should too. Let's all get behind the President. He is doing an amazing job during a tremendously challenging time in our country's history. We will all get through this together.

After watching last night's amazing task force press conference, I'm even more confident in our President, and what I mentioned several pages ago is even more applicable. Thank God for President Trump.

Posts: 2341 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
After watching last night's amazing task force press conference, I'm even more confident in our President, and what I mentioned several pages ago is even more applicable. Thank God for President Trump.
Yes, he crushed it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
That’s 2 out of 3850 people. Your odds of winning the lottery aren’t that good.
At 68 per million deaths, a covid fatality is far more likely than hitting the Pennsylvania Cash 5 at 1/970,000.

On the other hand, with reasonable care, your odds definitely improve. Plenty of people are working normal hours without picking up the virus.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
Went by Cabelas the other day grabbed some 12GA for a range trip. They were counting the number of people that came into the store and the number that went out. I'm assuming this was to track density of the foot traffic? Found it strange?

Someone told me yesterday 5 or 10 people per 1000 sq ft inside buildings. Just what I heard not sure if this is true but seems logical from what you saw.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Morons, morons everywhere...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
This will be studied in the future as a remarkable case of mass hysteria.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
How are these stores bypassing the fire code by closing/blocking off exits?

I went to Safeway yesterday and thought about asking the manager about that as well as the stupid one way shit. How is it unsafe for two way traffic on the ends but not in the middle? How about the fact that you have to swerve between the socially distanced people checking out blocking the isles?

I wanted to see if they got any more bread flour back in stock I got ready to travel the isle going the correct direction, flour is all the way at the end 4 or 5 people sitting there blocking the isle just staring at the shelves, not sure what they were doing, just staring like androids waiting for their program to be activated. I threw caution to the wind went down the next empty isle against traffic, turned and went up the other isle. All of a sudden four of them snapped into motion like the Borg had just sent it's commands to them. Every single one gave me a dirty look. I gave em a shit eating grins, but it wasn't until two had passed that it dawned on me they couldn't see my smile do to my mask. So I winked at the last two, they looked like I just shot their puppies.

Don't get me wrong, I wear a mask, gloves, leave my phone in my car, and have a procedure so that I don't touch car/keys, wallet, payment methods, etc with gloves hands to avoid cross contamination. Thing is I choose to do what I want to avoid the plague, I detest this TSA-like security theater. None of the protocols put in place actually do anything. That check out girl with the latex gloves on, she's been wearing them for three hours, touching money, everyone's groceries, her face, scratching that itchy nose.

It's all for fucking show. Those wipes to wipe the handles of carts, fucking useless, the active ingredients only affect some bacteria, not viruses.

The Food Lion near me, they at least have a spray bottle with some colored liquids inside of it, soapy water or diluted bleach would be way more effective than the bacterial wipes. I grab the sprayer bottle with a paper towel, spray, set bottle down, then wipe cart handle with fresh paper towels. I watch so many come in, get cart, bring cart to bottle/towels, pick up bottle, spray cart, then wipe down. I get really dirty looks when I tell people, you realize you just wiped down a cart handle you've already touched AND touched the trigger on the sprayer bottle that every patron before you had touched. They don't even respond, just glare at me.

It's all a show..

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20924 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Morons, morons everywhere...

So... what do we pay the police and sheriff (and courts) to do?
When we get to the point of vigilante justice because we don't get it from government, can we stop paying for what we are not getting?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24275 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
President Trump laid a beatdown on these screeching harpies yesterday like I haven’t seen in a long time!

This was his Coronavirus Taskforce Briefing summed up in picture form:

Posts: 34076 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post