SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If anything should have been locked down it should have been NYC early on, then I probably wouldn't have it at my end of the state. I remember when Cuomo declared the one area a "containment" zone. Anyone could still freely enter and leave the area but you couldn't have gatherings. Containment means something else entirely to me.

Posts: 3486 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Can just wear gloves when pumping gas, then safely strip and dispose them right there at the station before getting back inside the car.

I use a plastic grocery bag to grab the gas dispenser and then toss it in the trash when I am done. I am glad I live in a state that has not banned grocery bags.

Posts: 12824 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
https://www.facebook.com/liber...sts/3426094064085981

(NB: the above link is from a Bing search of the below received from a friend - i do NOT fb and did not verify it)

From Mark Levin:

Posted on page 371.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Alan.

Am (unfortunately) trying to keep up with this mess, but it's just too much.

Many thanks to my friend, Sigmonkey, for posting what was forwarded earlier today Smile

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Don't sniff, touch your face with the gas pump handle.

Do NOT Carl Spackler the handle and/or hose.

Posts: 2585 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living a strange life
Picture of jonrem
posted Hide Post
I think we’ve got to lift the restrictions on business ASAP. We’re in uncharted territory economically. A quick drive around a normally bustling business district the other day was chilling. We’re effectively creating our own Great Depression. At some point, even the most stalwart social isolationist is going to have to concede that the healthcare system will have to be burned in sacrifice to the greater economy. I don’t think it’ll come to that, but I think we’re past the point we should be primarily concerned with overwhelming the healthcare system.

Return to business as usual, let this thing spread while it’s sunny and warm in most of the country. Enough so secondary spikes aren’t coming at us in the fall and winter when most of the country is stuck indoors and transmission easier. Even if restrictions are removed immediately, there are enough people who would choose to avoid dine in restaurants and bars, shopping malls, and public events that ”back to normal” isn’t going to be the old ”normal.” This thing is permanently burned in people’s psyches and isn’t going to spread like it conceivably might have a scant 30-60 days ago.

Practice good hygiene, (I travel frequently and am amazed at how many people never wash their hands after using airport and gas station bathrooms - maybe that will change.) consider isolating or taking other precautions if you’re high risk or want to choose to lower your risk, and let’s get this country back to work!

Posts: 442 | Location: Central TN | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Ironic, years ago as a young burglary detective I made a prediction that someday law abiding citizens would be living behind bars while criminals freely roamed the streets.

I was close to that in the 1980's with many homes having 'burglar bars' and guard dogs.

Now criminals are being released from incarceration while law abiding citizens are ordered locked up in their homes by liberal governors.

And we have humans wearing muzzles... Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
She spoke on the rising outrage in this state, ...

My wife earlier told me Whitless' said she's "having sleepless nights." I'll just bet she is. She's been getting increasing push-back on her Draconian measures. I think I predicted earlier I'd give her new rules about a week, two at the outside, before people started to rebel. Tomorrow it'll have been a week.

There's a campaign to hold a drive-in/drive-by protest in the State Capital on Wednesday. I'm seriously thinking of attending.

What am I bet Whitmer calls out the State Police to restrict access to Capital grounds?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch that bet. Big Grin

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Fauci has clarified his comments from his media appearance over the weekend which the media of course took and used to bash the President over the head with.

He basically just put the media in its place during the briefing today. I'm one of the guys who doesn't trust Fauci (at least as far as his advice, not so much his motivation; I do think he means well) and I think he's been dead wrong on all of this from the beginning, but good for him for shutting up the media.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
This is the ONLY thing our POS governor cares about:

effin monster...

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The media, the hard left, and the Democrats (but I repeat myself) all said that at the first large crisis, President Trump would use that as his Reichstag moment and make a huge dictatorial power grab. As it turns out, Trump did nothing even close to that, quite the contrary in fact. Instead, it is all these democrat governors who are making a huge power grab and treading on the Constitution. That nasty woman Whitmer is the poster child (poster Hitler) for all these tyrannical governors. So far she's been the worst of the bunch.

These are the times when people's true colors come out.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I love how Trump is giving it to the media at ten press conference. He is pissed.
It's so nice to have a LEADER.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16562 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

That video montage was fantastic. Stuff their words right down their throats.

Posts: 8980 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Leni Riefenstahl would be proud of our mainstream media. Outright propaganda. This is from MSN. Nice try, but we all know the president makes Fauci look like a dwarf.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Think it’s bad here, or in Italy or Spain?

Here’s the disaster that’s happening in France.

quote:
The first bad decision was that, in contrast to the European Union fantasies, borders apparently do matter. France never closed them; instead it allowed large numbers of potential virus-carriers to enter the country.

In January 2020, several hundred thousand masks were available, but on February 19, President Macron decoded to send them to Wuhan, as a "gesture of solidarity with the Chinese people".... The French government announced that masks would be available soon, but by the end of March, most doctors and caregivers still had no masks. Several doctors fell ill. As of April 10, eight have died from COVID-19 and several others are in critical condition. On March 20, the Government's spokeswoman, Sibeth N'Diaye, incorrectly said, "masks are essentially useless".

On February 25, a renowned French epidemiologist, Professor Didier Raoult... published a video... In it, he said he had found a treatment quickly to end the pandemic: hydroxychloroquine... (used with azithromycin)... On April 10, Professor Raoult published data showing that he had treated and cured 2,401 patients.

Immediately, Olivier Veran, the new French minister of health, said that Professor Raoult's statements were "unacceptable" and that the treatment he was proposing was "worthless".... In an attempt to quell the controversy, the French government, by decree, authorized Professor Raoult's treatment in "military hospitals" for "patients reaching the acute phase of the disease" but prohibited family doctors from prescribing hydroxychloroquine. Professor Raoult replied that the treatment was only effective if administered "before the disease reaches its acute phase". [Emphasis added]

France's mainstream media would do well to fight harder for physicians to be able supply hydroxychloroquine with azithromycin and zinc sulfate. The French media would also do well to be more aware of the dirty game China is playing.

"The behavior of our leaders has been marked by unpreparedness, casualness, cynicism, and many of their acts imply the enforcement of the criminal law. Deliberate endangerment of the lives of others and failure to provide assistance to people in danger are obvious... In war, generals who are judged incompetent are sometimes shot. The President and other officials are well aware of this." — Regis de Castelnau, attorney, in Marianne, a center-left magazine, April 4, 2020.

Posts: 18164 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Sigalert— Pulse Ox’s are a good way of spot checking O2 levels. They do have some limits but should not apply in your situation.
There are things that affect a reading. Poor circulation in a digit. Low perfusion due to heart disease. Check readings in more than 1 place/finger.
A normal person should be mid/high 90s. Someone with significant COPD/heart disease may be lower.
Usually O2 isn’t prescribed until Ox readings are lower than 90% outside of hospital use. Hospitals routinely prescribe O2 at levels slightly higher than 90% or to raise it into mid 90s. You don’t qualify for home O2 per Medicare quidelines until your PO readings are 88-89%.
Don’t go crazy if the first number you see isn’t what you’d hoped for. Try a different finger. Try most of your fingers and see if they are the same. If low, then worry.
Also notice what the HR is. Normal is 60-80. But many are higher, some lower.
Look for trends in PO and HR levels. Also what they are walking in house. The more info you have the easier it is to really judge what’s going on.
AND don’t check it constantly. I’ve known ppl who can’t fart without checking their PO level. Use it as another tool. Just like BP checks.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 11154 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Think it’s bad here, or in Italy or Spain?

Here’s the disaster that’s happening in France.

And President Macron today extended its country wide lockdown until May 11th.

I'm starting to think that my planned trip to France in July likely won't happen.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Is Trump really this smart and calculating? I think he is.

In tonight's press conference President Trump declared that he has complete authority over the reopening of the economy and that he has the power to order states to open. But, he said that he didn't think he would have to order them because the voters will compel their governors to reopen. He also said he could have ordered a national shutdown, but left it up to states and localities because they are closer to their specific situations.

So then the knee-jerk Commie media starts pulling the 10th amendment out and saying "states rights", and the President doesn't have this kind of authority.

Weren't they just saying he cost lives by not taking over and mandating a national shutdown, not nationalizing the health care system, and not nationalizing more private businesses under the DPA?

And they need to check the law and precedent, because Trump is absolutely right. They know it because they were "warning" us about how he might abuse his broad emergency powers, which as we all know, he hasn't. He is only invoking them to stop the shutdown. Brilliant.

As usual, the Commies were completely wrong:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ma...gency-powers/576418/

The Alarming Scope of the President’s Emergency Powers

From seizing control of the internet to declaring martial law, President Trump may legally do all kinds of extraordinary things.

Unknown to most Americans, a parallel legal regime allows the president to sidestep many of the constraints that normally apply. The moment the president declares a “national emergency”—a decision that is entirely within his discretion—more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power. For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

This edifice of extraordinary powers has historically rested on the assumption that the president will act in the country’s best interest when using them. With a handful of noteworthy exceptions, this assumption has held up. But what if a president, backed into a corner and facing electoral defeat or impeachment, were to declare an emergency for the sake of holding on to power? In that scenario, our laws and institutions might not save us from a presidential power grab. They might be what takes us down.

Posts: 4769 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post