SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about that dissertation. It's a matter of controversy whether viruses are living organisms or not. Some say yes, others say no. They possess some of the qualities of life, e.g. the ability to reproduce (using a host cell's genetic machinery). But some they lack, for example a cellular structure.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something that everyone should understand these days is that groups and societies have had a fundamental interest in regulating public health matters probably since we and our evolutionary ancestors realized that disease could be transmitted from one of its members to another. The earliest laws we know of included provisions relating to public health, and that includes religious texts like the various bibles and the Qur’an. Societies have always regulated and infringed upon the activities of their individual members that could endanger the rest, and always will.

And those regulations and their enforcement are firmly established and approved of by our judicial system. I am no judge, but I would bet a whole bag of nickels that any challenge to a legitimate public health order would be all but laughed out of any court in the land.

I’m not going to get into the debates over whether these orders and measures are warranted, but do governments have the authority to impose such orders and measures? Yes, like it or not, they do. As for the rights mentioned above, the right to practice our religion and to freely assemble however we want has been limited in countless prior ways. If we didn’t know that before, now is a good time to learn.

Something I thought would be better understood here.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I was wondering about that dissertation. It's a matter of controversy whether viruses are living organisms or not. Some say yes, others say no. They possess some of the qualities of life, e.g. the ability to reproduce (using a host cell's genetic machinery). But some they lack, for example a cellular structure.

I was told in middle school biology class they are not considered life, but they do share some characteristics of life, just not enough to fully fit the definition of life. Good old days of punnet sqares a drooling over my first crush.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I am so lucky! Today in my e-mail was an offer to buy a miracle oil that cures C19.
Wonder how such a vital offer wound up in my spam file? Roll Eyes

If my grandmother was still alive she would have cured coronavirus with this same treatment she used for anything else we grandkids suffered from...a dose of Fen-A-ment, ExLax or if the she thought you were really constipated...the much feared Fleet Enema Eek...pretty much all ailments were a result of giving the wrong answer to the question “when was the last time you used the bathroom? Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mother would have attacked the virus the same way she did with any gaping injury I sustained. By pouring it full of Mercurochrome. That and Vap-O-Rub was a guaranteed cure.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Northam issues shelter in place order for next 2.5 MONTHS.
< snipo >

The full text:

quote:
EXECUTIVE ORDER NUMBER FIFTY-FIVE(2020)TEMPORARY STAY AT HOME ORDER DUE TO NOVEL CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19)

To reinforce the Commonwealth’s response to COVID-19 and in furtherance of Executive Orders 51 (March 12, 2020) and 53 (March 23, 2020) and by virtue of the authority vested in me by Article V, Section 7 of the Constitution of Virginia, by §44-146.17of the Code of Virginia, I order the following:

1. All individuals in Virginia shall remain at their place of residence, except as provided below by this Order and Executive Order 53. To the extent individuals use shared or outdoor spaces, whether on land or on water, they must at all times maintain social distancing of at least six feet from any other person, with the exception of family or household members or caretakers. Individuals may leave their residences for the purpose of:

a. Obtaining food, beverages, goods, or services as permitted in Executive Order 53;

b. Seeking medical attention, essential social services, governmental services, assistance from law enforcement, or emergency services;

c. Taking care of other individuals, animals, or visiting the home of a family member;

d. Traveling required by court order or to facilitate child custody, visitation, or child care;

e. Engaging in outdoor activity, including exercise, provided individuals comply with social distancing requirements;

f. Traveling to and from one’s residence, place of worship, or work;

g. Traveling to and from an educational institution;

h. Volunteering with organizations that provide charitable or social services; and

i. Leaving one’s residence due to a reasonable fear for health or safety, at the direction of law enforcement, or at the direction of another government agency.

2. All public and private in-person gatherings of more than ten individuals are prohibited. This includes parties, celebrations, religious, or other social events, whether they occur indoor or outdoor. This restriction does not apply:

a. To the operation of businesses not required to close to the public under Executive Order 53; or

b. To the gathering of family members living in the same residence.

3. Institutions of higher education shall cease all in-person classes and instruction, and cancel all gatherings of more than ten individuals. For purposes of facilitating remote learning, performing critical research,or performing essential functions,institutions of higher education may continue to operate, provided that social distancing requirements are maintained.

4. Effective April 1, 2020at 11:59 p.m., cessation of all reservations for overnight stays of less than 14 nights at all privately-owned campgrounds, as defined in § 35.1-1 of the Code of Virginia.

5. Closure of all public beaches as defined in §10.1-705 of the Code of Virginia for all activity, except exercising and fishing. Social distancing requirements must be followed.

6. All relevant state agencies shall continue to work with all housing partners to execute strategies to protect the health, safety, and well-being of Virginians experiencing homelessness during this pandemic and to assist Virginians in avoiding evictions or foreclosures.

7. As provided in Executive Order 53, nothing in this Order shall limit:

(a) the provision of health care or medical services;
(b) access to essential services for low-income residents, such as food banks;
(c) the operations of the media;
(d) law enforcement agencies; or
(e) the operation of government.

Violation of paragraphs 2, 3, 4, and 5 of this Order shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor [one year in jail, plus a $2,500 fine] pursuant to § 44-146.17 of the Code of Virginia.

Effective Date of this Executive Order

This Executive Order shall be effective March 30, 2020, amends Amended Order of the Governor and State Health Commissioner Declaration of Public Health Emergency, Order of Public Health Emergency One and Executive Order 53,and shall remain in full force and in effect until June 10, 2020, unless amended or rescinded by further executive order. Given under my hand and under the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia, this 30th day of March, 2020.

If Congress thinks a check for $1,200 will fix this, they haven't got a goddamned clue. What is needed is zero tax collection for all of CY2020, with the fed.gov and state.gov and local.gov giving back every penny of tax revenue collected thus far.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Vicks cures all.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Gettin' testy down in Florida:

Arrest Warrant issued for Tampa megachurch pastor who held service after Stay At Home was ordered...

Something something Lead Balloon....

Well, this will might make for an interesting lawsuit

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Well, it's official. I tested positive for coronavirus. Today marks the first day I haven't required any fever reducer, so I'm at the end of it already. The worst was a week ago when I was miserable and immobile.

The good news is that once I'm done with this, I'll be immune. My symptoms only got better every day.

Tony.

Glad to hear this. I'm curious, do you know where or from whom you contracted it? Similarly, do you know who you were in contact with that may have contracted it, while you were asymptomatic?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Read his post nearer the top of the page.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I'd still be careful; whistleblowers in China claim reinfection can occur and possibly be worse than the first go around. Glad you're getting over it.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/...ction-even-deadlier/

That would go against every law of virology that we now know. I don't believe it.

Not exactly... There are reports of the virus mutating into multiple strains, and infection with one strain of a virus doesn't necessarily confer immunity to another.

That's why you can get the flu shot every year, and still get the flu... and then get the flu again.

With that said, there haven't been many reports of reinfection and the medical community seems to mostly be of the opinion that the rare apparent instances of reinfection are most likey actually relapses (i.e., the person seemed to get better, but wasn't actually completely over the infection, and then got worse again).
The ICU doctor in the 47 minute video posted in this thread over the weekend said that they routinely saw patients start feeling better and test virus free for 2 days, test positive again, and then it'd be gone by day 14. He attributed the dip and spike to them actually not being fully recovered.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/econ...ichigan-in-100-days/

America’s industrial might is being marshaled to fight the coronavirus.

Ford announced Monday that it is partnering with GE Healthcare to build 50,000 ventilators in Michigan in 100 days. The critical care devices will be built by United Autoworker union members that Ford’s Rawsonville Components Plant in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Ford said production of the ventilators in Michigan will begin the week of April 20th. It expects to produce 1,500 by the end of April, 12,000 by the end of May, and 50,000 by July 4. After that, the plant will produce up to 30,000 ventilators per month.

The plant will produce a simplified ventilator design licensed by GE Healthcare from Florida-based Airon Corp.

“The Ford and GE Healthcare teams, working creatively and tirelessly, have found a way to produce this vitally needed ventilator quickly and in meaningful numbers,” said Jim Hackett, Ford’s president and CEO. “By producing this ventilator in Michigan, in strong partnership with the UAW, we can help health care workers save lives, and that’s our No. 1 priority.”
White House Defense Production Act Coordinator Peter Navarro praised the Ford/GE partnership for working on “Trump time.”

Ford said the Rawsonville plant will produce the ventilators nearly around the clock, with 500 paid volunteer UAW-represented employees working on three shifts. At full production, Ford said it will be able to make 7,200 “Model A-E” ventilators per week, a far faster pace than the 3-per day of the equivalent ventilators currently produced at Airon’s Florida facility.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

President Trump's recruitment of private industry has been awesome. The reporters at the press briefing, actually all of them, try to trip him up and serve up "gotcha" questions.

How pathetic. Journalism is FUBAR in this country.

I get so tired of nonstop criticism from people like Chuck Todd. Criticism from people who don't do anything except Monday quarterback the people who are struggling w monumental challenges. Reminds me of those poker shows where you get to see everyone's hand. Sure seems easy.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Not from Johns Hopkins per this;

https://www.snopes.com/fact-ch...pkins-covid-summary/

There is very little chance Johns Hopkins would publish something so full of grammatical errors, misused words, and just plain stupid, obvious mistakes (viruses don't mutate host cells, bactericides and antibiotics are not antibodies, etc.).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A church in rural IL (two hours west of Chicago) also held Sunday services. The link has a video with the sermon.

https://www.wqad.com/article/n...35-a38d-ee986eeba2ad

Rock Falls church defies Covid-19 warnings, continues holding in-person services

First Open Bible Church is disregarding federal health guidelines and a state mandate restricting gatherings

Author: Luke Cleary
Published: 6:14 PM CDT March 30, 2020
Updated: 6:14 PM CDT March 30, 2020

ROCK FALLS, Illinois — A Rock Falls church is continuing to hold in-person services, defying federal health guidelines and a state mandate restricting gatherings. Members of First Open Bible Church could be seen in an online broadcast on Sunday morning greeting one another with warm handshakes and hugs.

Pastor Les Funderberg would not comment to News Eight. But in his sermon, Funderberg makes it clear that he knows he is at odds with the advice of health authorities.

"I know that we're in the middle of a situation. We're in the middle of, they call it a pandemic," Funderberg said.

Whiteside County Health Department Public Health Administrator and CEO Cheryl Lee said her office had been in contact with the church.

"We really want people to not congregate, stay at home if at all possible," Lee said. "Because if you are healthy and well, you may still be contagious and there are people that are high-risk."

Authorities have advised that people only go out for the absolute essentials like food or medicine.

"I certainly understand, as a Christian myself, the need to really want to lean into our faith and our local churches, and that’s why we are applauding the churches that are able to do online services," said Dr. Kelley Stanley, medical director at the Whiteside County Health Department.

First Open Bible Church already posts its Sunday and Wednesday services online, unlike other local congregations that don't yet have that capability.

Nevertheless, Funderberg remains defiant.

"I know there’s a pandemic, but I’m not running afraid. If God is God, he’s got me! And if he takes me, praise God! What’s the downside of that?" Funderberg said.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
If Congress thinks a check for $1,200 will fix this, they haven't got a goddamned clue. What is needed is zero tax collection for all of CY2020, with the fed.gov and state.gov and local.gov giving back every penny of tax revenue collected thus far.

What? You expect government bureaucrats, et al, to live by their rules? Mad

Rest assured, tax collection will not cease and government workers will get paid.

They, after all, are our overlords.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

Rest assured, tax collection will not cease and government workers will get paid.
Don't forget the S/S checks and all the other entitlements will keep rolling out. Money has gotta come from somewhere....

Anyone who thinks .GOV can make American whole again after this is smoking fucking crack.

Never gonna happen, nor should it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My Mother would have attacked the virus the same way she did with any gaping injury I sustained. By pouring it full of Mercurochrome. That and Vap-O-Rub was a guaranteed cure.

Ohhhh...I forgot about the swabbing of the throat with Mercurochrome (mercury) or the “greasy jacket” as the piece of flannel inundated with Vick’s Vap-O-Rub safety pinned to your tee shirt...treat the coronavirus with Vicks and the death toll from Pew-moan-yah would pass 1918-1919 or maybe not?...might be a cure Eek

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post

Sorry, found it too funny not to post.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

They, after all, are our overlords.

That is what really pisses me off so much. they sit on their asses collecting fat paychecks while putting the rest of us out of work Mad Mad

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
While you guys are tossing numbers around, keep in mind, there are deaths that impact us due to Covid-19.
I just learned yesterday, my friend and musician, Lou Kouvaris died from Corona related illness.
He was 66.
Inducted into Heavy Metal Hall of Fame in January.
He was in NY.

Article here:
http://www.metalunderground.co...ls.cfm?newsid=147038

He was a super great guy, and he and I were planning to meet after the summer.

He was a big fan of my coffee.

Shine on Lou.

Sorry to hear about Lou Rainman....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post