SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 1214
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
About to head out to the gym, fellas. If you don't hear from me in 24 hours, call the Joint Chiefs.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30908 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
You should take solace from your CUT.

And now we're back to "If you're not dismissing this, you're panicking."

I'm not anxious, much less panicking, at all. Merely expressing a degree of caution and engaging in a degree of preparedness.

Nope. No such thing as being cautious and prepared. It's only two ends of the spectrum allowed.

I'm prepared, calm, and cautious. I really don't want it to be bad, it could be, or it couldn't. Left my crystal ball somewhere and I can't find it. So I take solace in knowing whatever happens I'll survive (unless I die I guess).

Didn’t sound calm and cautious when you were talking about people and their finances a few posts ago. I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you quoted one of my posts and then came up with yet another straw man argument...

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Aside from the damage caused by imbecilic and completely unnecessary fucking with the US, nothing is going to happen. You will not die from this disease. No one you know will die from this disease.

From your keyboard to God’s ears. I hope you‘re right. I hope this is a huge nothingburger and once the panic subsides the economy explodes back into action.

My crystal ball is broken though. It forgot to tell me to sell everything before the market cratered and now it isn’t telling my how this is all going to work out, so I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. The only thing I really know is that time will tell, so I just have to standby and wait for all to be revealed. I definitely like your crystal ball though, I’m going to assume it is right and wait to see it proven right.

Posts: 7075 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:

Can you elaborate on why the supply of sauce, cereal or water would be interrupted?

In the countries where this is worst, have they been unable to buy cereal or any of the above? No flowing water in italy?

Besides, I can live the rest of my life without hitting a grocery store. Can you not? If you can’t, yeah, I guess stock up on cereal, but after what, like 3 weeks, you’re screwed anyways.

Assuming stores are allowed to stay open, which isn't guaranteed, they are out of things now in most places and workers are starting to be sent home across the country. That means the supply depots might not be getting resupplied for long. Will it be a long term issue? Absolutely not, but that doesn't mean people who only have a few days worth of food won't regret their decision if this goes 4 weeks or more. To each their own, but I don't see the logic in people who panic and I don't see it in those who refuse to stock up on some essentials.

To me it is more of a mindset that we are responsible for taking care of our families and not supply chains or the government. I view this situation more as a reminder that people should have at least two weeks worth of food and water, so when issues like the algae toxin in water supplies, natural disasters, pandemics, or anything else happen we don't have to worry. I'm happy for you and your family if you are able to live off grid. I still would take precautions, but again, to each their own.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
You should take solace from your CUT.

And now we're back to "If you're not dismissing this, you're panicking."

I'm not anxious, much less panicking, at all. Merely expressing a degree of caution and engaging in a degree of preparedness.

Nope. No such thing as being cautious and prepared. It's only two ends of the spectrum allowed.

I'm prepared, calm, and cautious. I really don't want it to be bad, it could be, or it couldn't. Left my crystal ball somewhere and I can't find it. So I take solace in knowing whatever happens I'll survive (unless I die I guess).

Didn’t sound calm and cautious when you were talking about people and their finances a few posts ago. I wasn’t going to say anything, but since you quoted one of my posts and then came up with yet another straw man argument...

There are multiple things I'm concerned about.

-My finances - I will survive, maybe postpone some spending to re-save lost money.

-Actual illness - no crystal ball, but based on everything seen should be concerned to some degree.

-Effect on economy - bad and getting worse.

-Effect on people who have no ability to survive loss of income or being stuck in house for quarantine or social distancing.

Business owners and people who live paycheck to paycheck are going to be screwed. Our economy is driven by consumer confidence. People aren't going to be confident for a while.

I'll prepare for worst and hope for best. As I said earlier unless I die, I will survive. For others this will be devastating, even if they never catch it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
some of you guys need to take a break. Wouldn't it be nice if this thread could make it to page 2 on occasion.

Not likely to happen, this shit is messing with a lot of peoples lives/livelihoods. People are watching their 401k get destroyed, trying to find last minute babysitters, canceling trips, taking time off work, getting hours reduced, getting laid off, worrying about loved ones, etc. If they found a cure tomorrow this still would have lasting impacts. We are stuck with it for a while.

Then people shouldn’t live beyond their means. If fewer people lived paycheck to paycheck this panic wouldn’t be as bad as it is. No one knows what a savings account is these days, I guess.

I agree with what Para said, these places shutting down are trying to avoid possible lawsuits.

As far as panic food and supply buying, FEMA has stated for years everyone should have a MINIMUM 2 weeks worth of food and water for EVERYONE in the household. We have tornadoes here. I always have A LOT more than that in stock. Do I live in fear that a tornado will wipe my house out and food and water won’t be available for weeks? No. Do I live in fear I’m going to die of Wuhan flu? No.

The bark is a lot worse than the bite.

I agree with most everything you've mentioned above, BUT.

Problem is, some of the problems for people are NONE of that. For example, what about every kid being out of school when they're supposed to be in school? Parents still have to go to work. How do you find a babysitter, IF every kid is out of school at the same time? A lot of other aspects of people's lives are effected.

I have a friend who's mother just died sort of unexpectantly (went into the hospital for a heart procedure, got an infection, and a week later gone) and she wanted to be buried next to her family in Ireland. He flew over there 2 weeks ago with her body and to do the burial and everything. He's been trying to get back early but flights are crazy expensive or non existent. He's a tourist over there and everything is closed, restaurants, etc. Now when he flies back I wonder what kind of screenings he's going to have to go through. He's already been away from his business for over 3 weeks with the hospital situation. His partner is running the business, but usually only runs the operations end of it, and is doing a not great job at running the business part of it.

I'm well prepared in all aspects and a small business owner. BUT, I literally in 2 days got 2 phone calls and lost 15 days of work out of the next 30, $7k in net profit poof/gone. Never to return. But I'm afraid it's the first cancellations of MANY that are scheduled in end of April-June. I'll survive, but I don't like it.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
There is a bunch of crapola banter to sift through here by the repeat offenders that is for sure.

While busy doing things I do check in for the occasional bit of useful info.

Some where back aways someone mentioned a vaccine that was tried and seemed useful. I am curious about that. I know some mentioned months or years before one could be developed based on previous outbreaks. This is a bit of unique situation. With all hands on deck sort of speak I am guessing a breakthrough will be had much sooner. Hopefully some useful info will be offered in this thread about treatments and a possible cure or vaccine.

Vs the TP or shelves being empty or I going to gym nonsense.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19711 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

There are risks associated with introducing immune-provoking agents into your system
I am definitely NOT an anti-vaxer. For many decades, I got my flu shot every year.

Then, a few years ago, I got hit hard with Guillain Barré Syndrome. Hospitalized for over a week, IV steroids reduced the pain in my legs, then a couple of IVIG transfusions.

My primary care doc put me on the "no fly" list for flu shots, and many other vaccines.

He thinks that the flu shot that I got in his office, about six weeks prior to the onset of the GBS, might have been the cause.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31388 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
How was the info that people are working on a vaccine useful to you?

Gave you hope?

Banter about TP... a distraction.

Both of those are the same thing.

Posts: 21348 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ergoproxy:

People are afraid of running out of tp. If the supply chain breaks
It lasts twice as long if you use both sides of each sheet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31388 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

All of you uncivilized savages complaining about toilet paper. If you’re a highly evolved individual such as myself, and the rest of the cream of society who insist upon nothing but total cleanliness, use bidets! Big Grin

No seriously, it’s the best Amazon purchase I ever made. No TP or very little needed. Not only is it awesome, but it’s sort of a conversation starter when guests come over.

$60 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bi...gads-lpcontext&psc=1
"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
So... it's OK to go out for a drink, as long as I do it before 10pm.???? Does the virus recognize time?

I don’t know if this is the first ‘mandatory’ coronavirus curfew, or even how such an effort could feasibly be enforced, but it’s likely not going to be the last:.

New Jersey – Hoboken Mayor Ravinder Bhalla announced a citywide curfew will be in effect starting Monday. The curfew also places major restrictions on bars and restaurants.

The curfew will be in effect from 10 p.m.- 5 a.m.starting on Monday, and until further notice. Residents will be required to stay home, except for emergencies, or if needed at work by their employer.

As of 11 a.m. Sunday, bars that do not serve food will not be permitted to operate at all. All other bars and restaurants are no longer permitted to serve food within the establishment, and can only sell takeout or delivery.

https://theconservativetreehou...-to-5am/#more-186414

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
All of you uncivilized savages complaining about toilet paper. If you’re a highly evolved individual such as myself, and the rest of the cream of society who insist upon nothing but total cleanliness, use bidets! Big Grin

"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Wait! The pandemic dried up... bidets?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
So... it's OK to go out for a drink, as long as I do it before 10pm.???? Does the virus recognize time?

Sure! Just like criminals obey "no gu..." Oh, wait... nevermind.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
TSA screeners have tested positive, four in San José, and now one at the Orlando International Airport.

Dollars to donuts they will claim and get LIFE TIME DISABILITY.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32012 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
To the members who work in healthcare.

Thanks for putting yourself out there in the middle of this bullshit.

Seriously, thank you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:

There are risks associated with introducing immune-provoking agents into your system
I am definitely NOT an anti-vaxer. For many decades, I got my flu shot every year.

Then, a few years ago, I got hit hard with Guillain Barré Syndrome. Hospitalized for over a week, IV steroids reduced the pain in my legs, then a couple of IVIG transfusions.

My primary care doc put me on the "no fly" list for flu shots, and many other vaccines.

He thinks that the flu shot that I got in his office, about six weeks prior to the onset of the GBS, might have been the cause.

Doesn't help to hear it, but yes, you are likely one of the outliers. My sincere sympathies, and apologies that healthcare is what it is. Also not comforting, vaccines in general are not primarily for the benefit of the individual (my opinion, and largely unspoken by the public health community). It is to generate and sustain immunity of the herd. Individual benefit is a useful by-product. The individual does benefit, however, by herd immunity. It would be a tremendous benefit, for example, if we had it right now with this virus - no more closed schools, sports venues, restaurants, airlines, cruise ships, stock market plunge. Imagine having a vaccine, right now, that conferred 40% immunity, and we had 40% of the population vaccinated. Even if it cost $1,000 a head (or arm) - or more - we would be saving literally millions if not billions or trillions of lost revenue, healthcare expense, personal trauma - and death - and would not now be where we are. We'll get there, and again, not risk-free for individual patients - but I have no doubt if we had a reasonably effective, reasonably safe vaccine, readily available right now, that the vast majority of members reading this would be at the head of the line. I would.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
To the members who work in healthcare...
Seriously, thank you.

Amen to that thought and seconded.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:

All you really need to know is they have a modern, first world health care system. Near as I can tell: As good as, perhaps better than, in certain respects, our's.

Member BansheeOne, living right next door to Italy, can probably shed more light on this subject.

Figuratively speaking I'm actually two or three doors down, have only ever been to Italy for any significant length of time once in 1993, and luckily never needed medical treatment there, so I'm just as much an outsider. But as a general observation, the current articles going on about Italian "socialized healthcare" seem to have the same motivation to me as those trying to pin responsibility for the situation in the US (whatever it is) on the Trump administration - just in reverse, by arguing "this is what Democrats would foist on us". Either camp is trying to make partisan hay with a global health crisis, which is pretty ghoulish IMO.

I have noted that those articles really have to tie themselves into pretzels to make their case, and as I said when I saw the first tweet about "socialized Italian healthcare" posted, let's come back to that in two weeks. Meanwhile, I'm somewhat well-acquainted with the German healthcare system via family; dad was a surgeon, brother #2 served at the Berlin military hospital (which are tied into the civilian system to generate revenue here - how's that for market orientation) as an air force surgeon for about 20 years and now works in controlling for a major national hospital operator, and his wife is an internist now working in political liaison for the Federal Medical Council. If I get around to it, I might start a separate thread on comparing different healthcare systems, since this one is already pretty bloated. As we seem to have various medical professionals here, it should be interesting.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
To the members who work in healthcare...
Seriously, thank you.

Amen to that thought and seconded.

You are more than welcome, and it's not exclusively altruism - we live in the jungle too. Smile Thanks to everyone on the forum for - mostly - reasoned discussion, justifiable concern for self, families, and others, what you do every day as pilots, tinkers, tailors soldiers and spies, Para's hand as a seasoned referee, and hopefully a round of virtual of beers on the other end of this thing. May we never see another in our lifetimes....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard whether they are developing an Wuhan anti-body test to establish those who may have at least some exposure immunity?

It could be rather important for getting people back to work who are less likely to get sick.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post